I know how annoying it is sometimes when people prattle on instead of giving the relevant news/rumors, so I'll just jump in with them...
- Leonard Nimoy repeatedly answered any and all Trek 11 questions with "Thursday" - explaining that many, many questions will be answered this Thursday, when J.J. Abrams does a Panel on his new Star Trek film. Every time anyone asked about Trek 11, "Thursday" was the response. Shatner himself grilled Nimoy at one point, but Nimoy stuck to "Thursday" - which tells me one thing; whatever is going to happen at ComicCon is going to be BIG. Really. Fraking. Big.
- Nimoy confirmed the theory of why Shatner is not in Trek XI, answering Shatner's question "Why am I not in it?" by asking Shatner, "What happened to Kirk in Star Trek 7?" to which Shatner of course answered, "They killed Captain Kirk" to which Nimoy eluded "There you go" which prompted Shatner to point out to Nimoy, "You died and you came back!" - confirming the theory that Nimoy's part will be Spock in the 24th Century, post-Generations time - though whether post Nemesis is still unknown.
- Shatner spoke of his upcoming Trek Novel based on Kirk at the Academy, his first meeting of Spock, et cetera, and informed us that Paramount had blocked the project from release for a while, because they did not know Trek XI's plot yet - and that they finally gave the go ahead, but have included on one of the first pages of the book that "This story represents the author's unique vision" of how Kirk and Spock first met. Obviously, this little note must elude to Trek XI's rumored plot involving just such a first encounter of Kirk and Spock.
- Nimoy affirmed, "As I stand here today, I don't have a deal for the next movie" - and by the way he kept repeating that phrase, it's easy to read between the lines that he's saying "the contract is not signed on the dotted line, but it's damn close to being so"
- Nimoy believes that "The franchise is in good hands, and has a bright future" with J.J. Abrams in charge. Nimoy also indicated that Abrams was now in charge of the entire franchise, rather than just attached to Trek XI.
- Nimoy also told J.J. Abrams flat out that Trek XI "would be better with Shatner in it."
- Shatner repeated his story concerning the phone call with Nimoy in which he learned he was not in the picture, adding that he had met with Abrams on the Paramount lot (first meeting) and then later, Abrams had asked to come down to where they film "Boston Legal" and the two had lunch, and on both occasions Shatner left asking, "What was that about?" unsure of what was going on with the film and his involvement.
So that's the Trek XI stuff.
Nimoy answered why he didn't appear on the Comedy Central Roast by explaining further he expected things to be crude and vulgar, which he did find them to be (as did anyone watching) and also remarked that he found the comedians to not be funny. He enjoyed Takei's appearance, though, to which Shatner replied that he believes George was angry at him, and meant what he said more seriously than it was taken, remarking "He was so angry, spittle was coming out of his mouth - Asian Venom - if he was a snake, if he'd bitten me, I would have died."
Shatner is also going to do a talk show entitled "William Shatner: Raw Nerve" - but no more game shows, he says. He also continues to beg Leonard to do "Boston Legal" but Nimoy still refuses.
Leonard has been keeping busy, and is working on a new photography book which comes out in November, for which he plugged LeonardNimoyPhotography.com a number of times in fun.
He also address the rumor that Shatner tried to drown him during the bird-of-prey in San Fransisco Bay scene of Star Trek IV, saying how Shatner had just insisted he get in the water too, but that because of the heavy robe he wore, he sunk like a rock, and nearly did panic when he hit the bottom of the tank and was struggling to get the robe off. It reportedly took a scuba diver attaching a rope and three people to pull said soaked robe up from the bottom, lol.
So there you go.
Shatner and Nimoy, together, are HYSTERICAL and WONDERFUL. If you EVER have the chance to see them together, DO IT. Damn the prices, damn everything. It's worth it!