• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier

Frontier

Omega Sector Administrator & Director of Public Relations

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:19 AM

This past weekend, I was at the Creation convention in Secacus, NJ (NYC area) and on Sunday, Bill (William Shatner) was the guest, and he said that "J.J. [Abrams] is committed" (as in determined) "to having Leonard and I, Leonard and me, in the film." in response to fan questions about Star Trek XI, though he isn't sure how it will be done, or even what role they would play, wondering if they would be Kirk and Spock as Academy Instructors, or something else. "It's easy for Leonard, because Spock's alive. But I'm dead." he said, speaking of his character Captain James T. Kirk. He also quashed the Matt Damon as Captain Kirk rumor - the idea was booed by the audience - and said that "I think they're going to go with unknowns," as to any potential casting or recasting of Kirk & Spock. Audience reaction to the idea of a recast was fairly tepid, but between Matt Damon and unknowns in a recast, unknowns received applause. Shatner and Nimoy reprising Kirk and Spock was cheered, of course. Bill also dated his conversation with Abrams as having taken place, "about three weeks ago."
Follow Me on Tumblr @ frontier001.tumblr.com or Twitter @WilsonFrontier

Posted Image

Check Out One of the -475- TrekCore Signatures by the Omega Sector Signature Team!

...Or One of the -3,500- Star Trek Avatars by Frontier Found Here!

#2 Frontier

Frontier

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:26 AM

Good news, in my opinion. That Abrams wants Shatner and Nimoy. Likewise, if there is going to be a recast - which I think is a dumb idea, TBH, unknowns is a far better idea than 'celebrity' casting.

Posted Image

Check Out One of the -475- TrekCore Signatures by the Omega Sector Signature Team!

#3 Chris McKeown

Chris McKeown

Refit Galaxy-Class Starship

• 6,640 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

If it is the younger days of Kirk and Spock as we expect, it may just be a shot of them remembering the good old days and maybe them narrating the movie. I think that would be befitting to the characters and to Trek as a whole.

"Today is a good day for coffee"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Sim

Sim

8472 Bio-Ship

• 1,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

I agree, if Shatner and Nimoy are in the movie, it should only be for a short sequence, no matter if for narrating the movie, or as Kirk's and Spock's grandparents or such. But I really doubt anyone would want to see them in major roles again, a few hardcore fans aside. Let's face it, they are way past their expiration date.
"There is no such thing as ghosts."
- Frank Black (Millennium)

#5 Frontier

Frontier

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

:vulcan:

I'd take 2 hours of Shatner and Nimoy sitting at a table talking as if Kirk and Spock, remembering past adventures, than 2 hours of a bunch of other actors in a recast, taking over iconic roles.

Posted Image

#6 Klaus

Klaus

Omega Sector Staff

• TrekCore Staff
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

I'd take 2 hours of Shatner and Nimoy sitting at a table talking as if Kirk and Spock, remembering past adventures, than 2 hours of a bunch of other actors in a recast, taking over iconic roles.

..and me as well! :clap:
Posted Image
---
Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Sloaney

Sloaney

Former DS9 Section Leader!

• 133 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Unfortunately there is a new rumour that I have posted in the other thread that makes me wonder about this one. Dont get me wrong - if it was said at a convention then I am sure it was said... but it looks like JJ may have some bizaar thoughts... Makes me worry a bit.
TrekCore DS9 - NOW OPEN!
http://ds9.trekcore.com

#8 Hiyasu

Hiyasu

Akira-Class Starship

• 1,463 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

I'd take two hours of them just talking about nothing in all honesty, they're so funny.

Even if it is a recast, I'll be less reluctant to see the film if the two of them play a signifigant role in it in some way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 LocutusGR

LocutusGR

The Phoenix

• 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

If it is the younger days of Kirk and Spock as we expect, it may just be a shot of them remembering the good old days and maybe them narrating the movie. I think that would be befitting to the characters and to Trek as a whole.

My thinking exactly! And I believe that if JJ want Shatner and Nimoy in the movie something like that is going to happen :-)

#10 cap97

cap97

Vulcan D'Kyr-Class

• 120 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

I'll pay someone $10 to do neither of those options. Okay make it $20.

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.