• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier

Frontier

Omega Sector Administrator & Director of Public Relations

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

Anyone else have this month's Star Trek Magazine handy?

Because on Page 8, amidst other quotes we have seen on-line, there is one key thing that I'm wondering how in the hell everyone missed!

Under the Headline of the Article 'Blank Slate' it states 'New Film Producers Deny Kirk and Spock Recasting Rumors' and then goes on to say such as "they (producers) say the film will not be recreating the (original) series in the way Battlestar Galactica has been re-imagined, but instead will be extrapolating on events in the Star Trek franchise as it currently exists."

In response to the reboot stuff, Abrams himself said, "This is not a case of coming in and being so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great... not violating anything that's come before it. Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They (the fans) have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material."

...That certainly lowers my personal alert level from red to yellow! ;)

I mean, they're saying, 'No Reboot' and deny the Kirk and Spock recast rumors... they say we'll see new faces and some familiar... which we've heard before, but now, in light of the 'no recasting' statement... do you think...? Maybe...? Could they intend to use some of the TOS cast, or other TOS-era individuals? :vulcan:
Follow Me on Tumblr @ frontier001.tumblr.com or Twitter @WilsonFrontier

Posted Image

Check Out One of the -475- TrekCore Signatures by the Omega Sector Signature Team!

...Or One of the -3,500- Star Trek Avatars by Frontier Found Here!

#2 CKJ

CKJ

Andorian Kumari-Class

• 85 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thank goodness... no more Matt Damon as James T. Kirk... :loopy: :)

I missed it too, you know, and I've had the magazine days! It was slipped in a little subtley, don't you think (except being under the section about the new film... ah, that'll be it then...)?
- "There's coffee in that nebula!" - Kathryn Janeway.

Posted Image

- Disclaimer: The views contained within the above post are of the individual posting, and as such do not represent the views or opinions of CKJ Productions. Reading it will not affect your statutory rights. Warning: may contain traces of nuts.

#3 Guest_Renderking Fisk_*

Guest_Renderking Fisk_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

Oh, crap... I was really looking forward to a re-boot.

#4 Klaus

Klaus

Omega Sector Staff

• TrekCore Staff
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

*whew*
Posted Image
---
Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Cpt. Jeff

Cpt. Jeff

TOS Audio Capper

• 3,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

all I can say is... I told ya so. remember that little article that seemed to assure people that this was a reboot? I said I dint' belive it. I guess I was right.

I'm still betting on an april movie...
Your castles may tumble (that's fate after all)/ Lifes really funny that way/ No use to grumble, smile as they fall/ Werent you king for a day?
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You have enemies? Good. That means that You've stood for something in your life.- Winston Churchill

"Fascism should rather be called corporatism, as it is the merging of government and corporate power."
Benito Mussolini

#6 Hiyasu

Hiyasu

Akira-Class Starship

• 1,463 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

Well that certainly is a relief.
I couldnt stand the idea of a reboot, its nice to hear that. There's still a huge possibility that it will be awful, but at least its not a reboot.
Actually, that piece of information restored my hope in XI.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Scotty

Scotty

Trekcore site content & audio capper

• TrekCore Staff
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

As I've said a few times before this maybe set on board the Enterprise 1701 before Kirk took command, remember Kirk took command of the Enterprise in 2265? The Enterprise had two commander before him. I'd say character wise it could mean we could see people that have been mentioned in TOS, I'd say wait and see what happens. There is a film yes its more of a peek around the door to see if Star Trek can get off its sick bed and stand after what Berman and Braga did. I don't agree that they should bring in fans from Lost, thats all we need is people who come and know little to nothing of Trek's past. It will just do what happened with Enterprise, it will go to hell and put Trek under the water.

TrekCoreSig_NX74205_v2.jpg
Riker
: "Someone once said 'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements'."
Zefram Cochrane: "Rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"
Riker: "You did, ten years from now..."

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams RIP 1951-2014

#8 Frontier

Frontier

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

The only issue with the film being based pre-Kirk is the teaser poster artwork, which clearly shows gold and blue uniforms, equivilant to Kirk and Spock. Before Kirk took command - even in the beginning of his command - they still word 'The Cage' style uniforms. And they where beige and sky blue, not gold and default blue.

One key statement is 'extrapolating on events that already exist' or whatever they said, which sounds to me like filling in a hole. Now it would be, in my mind, intelligent to fill in April, but the uniform art of the poster... *shrugs*

Without recasting, options are limitted. Unless of course, time travel...

Posted Image

Check Out One of the -475- TrekCore Signatures by the Omega Sector Signature Team!

#9 Cpt. Jeff

Cpt. Jeff

TOS Audio Capper

• 3,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

or just forgetting that the pike uniforms existed, like tha tlamp on the captins chair.

not to mention that the only brodcast episode we saw aired after others showing the proper uniforms, without even getting the rank braids right. the only other time we see those is in Spock's trial.

The tricolor uniforms and correct rank braids whould be the uniform I would use If I did an april movie, but I wouldn't keep all of the bridge color. that would change some to establish a difffernt captin, but the uniforms tie it in to the same era.

it's not a biggie, and that' would be the best way. This is also on the big screen, so you're going to make them right as well- the pike uniforms wold just look ugly on the big screen. heck, they look ugly on TV.

I'm also betting on a 2 part tunic and undershit. Look at the naked time... But everybody gets a good one.
Your castles may tumble (that's fate after all)/ Lifes really funny that way/ No use to grumble, smile as they fall/ Werent you king for a day?
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You have enemies? Good. That means that You've stood for something in your life.- Winston Churchill

"Fascism should rather be called corporatism, as it is the merging of government and corporate power."
Benito Mussolini

#10 A Reasonable Facsimile

A Reasonable Facsimile

Resident Forum Weirdo

• 2,640 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

Every starship had a different insignia though, right?

Posted Image

Click this link: The Circadian Kingdom

"The Circadian Kingdom" is my postmodern funk band.

You can hear our music at http://www.myspace.c...ircadiankingdom

You won't regret having checked it out. :D

#11 Cpt. Jeff

Cpt. Jeff

TOS Audio Capper

• 3,113 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:59 AM

Yeah. this is definaly an enterprise movie. and no recast, seeing as kirk is taken by shatner and jeffry hunter (pike ) is dead, who else but April?
Posted Image

Benito Mussolini

#12 A Reasonable Facsimile

A Reasonable Facsimile

Resident Forum Weirdo

• 2,640 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:11 AM

You might be right jeff.

Posted Image

Click this link: The Circadian Kingdom

"The Circadian Kingdom" is my postmodern funk band.

You can hear our music at http://www.myspace.c...ircadiankingdom

You won't regret having checked it out. :D

#13 Virogen

Virogen

TrekCore Webmaster

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:02 AM

Sweet, his intentions are much more clear and appreciable now!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Ronan OF

Ronan OF

Daedalus-Class Starship

• 174 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

Please remember that the magazinbe was printed a while ago, and some information may have been updated already.

#15 Cpt. Jeff

Cpt. Jeff

TOS Audio Capper

• 3,113 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

I doubt that it's changed completley thouh...
Posted Image

Benito Mussolini

#16 Scotty

Scotty

Trekcore site content & audio capper

• TrekCore Staff
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

The only issue with the film being based pre-Kirk is the teaser poster artwork, which clearly shows gold and blue uniforms, equivilant to Kirk and Spock. Before Kirk took command - even in the beginning of his command - they still word 'The Cage' style uniforms. And they where beige and sky blue, not gold and default blue.

One key statement is 'extrapolating on events that already exist' or whatever they said, which sounds to me like filling in a hole. Now it would be, in my mind, intelligent to fill in April, but the uniform art of the poster... *shrugs*

Without recasting, options are limitted. Unless of course, time travel...

The color of the poster isn't always a clue. It could to keep all of us guessing.

TrekCoreSig_NX74205_v2.jpg
Riker
: "Someone once said 'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements'."
Zefram Cochrane: "Rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"
Riker: "You did, ten years from now..."

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams RIP 1951-2014

#17 Tripper

Tripper

The Phoenix

• 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

Judging from the previous movie posters (ie Enterprise firing on the Regula 1 station, inaccurate enterprise) and all the recent graphic design on the DVDs (ie Jem Ha'dar ships flying the wrong way, upside down ent-b on wrong movie...) I think it safe to say that the movie poster could be just a simple oversight.

Personnaly I would like to see capt april. Remember, the colors and the insignia on the poster were simply used to establish the time period the movie will take place in and the enterprise's patch is the most recognizable insignia from that era. Doesn't make much since to use a new insignia on a teaser poster as something that isn't instantly recognizable wouldn't make an affective poster, so theres really no telling what we'll end up seeing.

#18 Guest_Scorned_*

Guest_Scorned_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

In response to the reboot stuff, Abrams himself said, "This is not a case of coming in and being so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great... not violating anything that's come before it. Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They (the fans) have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material."

Maybe somebody should send this to Ron Moore!

Is this a true report by Abrams?

#19 Virogen

Virogen

TrekCore Webmaster

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:38 AM

^ It's from the Official Trek Magazine so I would hope it is true lol

TrekToday has an interesting quote from this article... They must have been quoting you instead Doug lol

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Frontier

Frontier

• Omega Sector Admin
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:58 AM

^ It's from the Official Trek Magazine so I would hope it is true lol

TrekToday has an interesting quote from this article... They must have been quoting you instead Doug lol

Prolly. :laugh: Though I made it clear what was from the article and what was from me, so, can't see why.

I did hear from some friends of mine, who told me though the reboot rumors are being quashed, they're still hearing recast rumors. Not Damon recast, more New Voyages-type recast -- trying to find actors who look the part, can play the character properly, much like has been done with Superman and such for decades.

That's just what I hear, mind you. What I read through the Magazine is 'Deny Recast Rumors' and the flat-out denial of the reboot in nBSG style...

Posted Image

Nebula image in header courtesy Ali Ries.