Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

A Matter Of Perspective

Episode name: "A Matter Of Perspective"

Season: 3

Director: Cliff Bole

Not exactly one of my favorites... (Well, except for the painting scene at the beginning. THAT one is PRICELESS! My poor darling, though! Hehe.) I do like the final scene when LaForge & Jean-Luc reveal what really happened, though.

Aside from that... I really don't care much for this episode. @.@

There were some truly torturous scenes in this. And Troi? Ok...thanks for the support there babe.

OK - next.

There were some truly torturous scenes in this. And Troi? Ok...thanks for the support there babe.

OK - next.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, what about "being there for your friend when he needs you"? :vulcan: Oh well. At least the others are trying to help. @.@ *lol*

This was a great episode...I knew it wasn't Riker :P

:P

Of course it wasn't! It's just so frustrating to see them try to pin it on him...grrrr. ;)

Apart from the beginning with Picard, I hated this episode. It has lots of Riker, lots of Riker/chick, and a big plot hole.

Troi says that they are all telling the truth from how they remember it, but I cannot see how there can be such a big difference in opinion on how the Riker/chick event took place, without one of them lying - which Troi should be able to tell.

Apart from the beginning with Picard, I hated this episode. It has lots of Riker, lots of Riker/chick, and a big plot hole.

Troi says that they are all telling the truth from how they remember it, but I cannot see how there can be such a big difference in opinion on how the Riker/chick event took place, without one of them lying - which Troi should be able to tell.

That never made sense to me, either. The only possible explanation is that the participants were so traumatized by the events in question that their ability to accurately recall what took place would be severely limited.

--Captain Sisko

True, but it still didn't make sense. Troi's empathy is a bit of deus ex machina for the writers. It's mostly useless and only sometimes works, when the plot demands it. Probably my least favorite Riker-centric ep, I even like the one with his father better...

I was reading up on this on MA and came across this:

'Picard is never seen painting again. A deleted scene had Picard throw red paint at his painting after Data's crushing criticism of his work.'

I'd loved to have seen that left in :giggle:

I was reading up on this on MA and came across this:

'Picard is never seen painting again. A deleted scene had Picard throw red paint at his painting after Data's crushing criticism of his work.'

I'd loved to have seen that left in :giggle:

It's an amusing thought indeed. :giggle: Even though I don't really think that it would have been very in-character. I think he'd quietly shove the painting under his bed and never look at it again. And, of course, never ever paint ANYTHING again, at least not in public. :giggle: But throwing red paint at it? That's not his style somehow.

It would have been better if they had written a way for Troi not to be at the trial/hearing.

At the risk of sounding obvious, there are a number of episodes that would have been better had there been written a means for Troi to be excluded at key moments.

--Captain Sisko

At the risk of sounding obvious, there are a number of episodes that would have been better had there been written a means for Troi to be excluded at key moments.

--Captain Sisko

Agreed.

Yeah, They really didn't use Troi in the best way in some episodes, and the ones that had a section where she could have revealed important information, she could have been written out better. A good example of this was "The Loss."

The holodeck courtroom drama idea was a pretty cool one, but I'm just not impressed with how this episode panned out. I like Troi when she gets to be useful, but not when she's required to sit around like a lemon for the sake of the plot. Also, Mrs Apgar, whose desire for more shiny presents pushed her husband into evil and who tried to seduce Riker then accused him of assaulting her when it didn't work... blimey, can we get any more sexist stereotypes in there?

This is a terrible episode, one of the scenes where Riker just moves out of the way of getting punched by Nel Apgar and he lands on the floor is just comical in the bad sense. Also the bits where they have holo-Riker try to seduce Mrs.Apgar is almost as un-intentionally funny as the TOS Kirk seduction scenes. Just a truly awful, awful episode. 2 out of 10 I'm going to give it.

I used to be a lot more fond of this episode - I guess it's one of those episodes that grow less and less interesting/consistent the more you watch them.

One reason for this is that it's full of stuff that makes no sense - why is Troi this useless? She can sense the obvious from miles away otherwise. They should have left her out of this episode completely. (They did that on more than one occasion in season 1, so, why not here.) I also still don't get why no one realizes that the whole 'Riker killed Apgar with a phaser' theory is complete nonsense since Riker isn't even CARRYING A PHASER when O'Brien gets him back from the station, and both O'Brien's statement and the transporter logs should have backed this one up. (Besides, who beams over to a peaceful science station carrying a phaser?)

All that really prevents me from truly enjoying this episode - but, as usual, there are a few scenes that I do enjoy. The main reason: This episode is basically a Picard/Riker slashfest. I wish the whole whodunnit thing had been written much better, because, if it had had, this could have been THE 10/10 Picard/Riker episode.

The whole Picard/Riker love affair plot starts already when the station goes and all Jean-Luc is worried about is whether O'Brien has beamed Riker aboard in time. The look of utter relief in Jean-Luc's eyes when O'Brien tells him "He's aboard" - sdfbadadjasdjhbdsah!

The way Jean-Luc tries to stand by his beloved first officer is just too cute to ignore. I love how torn he is between his duty as a Starfleet captain and his feelings for Riker - the LOOK on his face when that investigator asks if he is "close" to his first officer! "That question is irrelvant." No, my dear Jean-Luc, that investigator is smart enough to realize that there's something going on here, that's all. It's such a typical Jean-Luc reaction - denying any kind of personal feelings. AND OF COURSE HE IS CLOSE TO RIKER. I absolutely love how he tries to balance things right from the beginning of the episode when that investigator dude marches onto the bridge and blurts out his accusations. Jean-Luc steps in (literally, he almost throws himself between that dude and Riker) and is all like "Let's continue this discussion in private" and then he adds a firm "Number One - you have the bridge!" when Riker tries to follow.

AND THEN Riker is all like "Captain, may I have a word with you?" and Jean-Luc looks at him in this sad way and "Under the circumstances, Number One, I think that would be inappropriate." SLAM. BREAK. HIS. HEART. WILL. YOU. I love how helpless he looks in that moment. Hnnnng!

ALSO, can we talk about the uncomfortable look on Jean-Luc's face when they watch Riker's version of what happened and Apgar's wife tries to seduce Riker. Jean-Luc is screaming internally NO I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THIS.

AND THEN there's the moment in which Jean-Luc is all like "We'll... erm... take a short recess." AND THEN HE PUTS HIS HAND ON RIKER'S SHOULDER FOR SUPPORT. I CANNOT WITH THESE TWO. OTP, OTP, OTP!

This is all, however. I'm already done with the scenes I like. Eeek.

So, like I said, this episode certainly isn't one of my favorites, despite it being a slash fest. It's just that the bits and pieces of slash aren't enough to hold this one together, and the rest of it is just rather... well, let's call it 'cringeworthy'. I'm afraid I can't rate this higher than 4/10. Definitely not a season 3 highlight.

The favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to Data, for his "Interesting." comment on Jean-Luc's painting.

The favorite Jean-Luc moment award for this episode goes to his entire reaction throughout the opening scene with the painting class. I love how you can see how Data breaks his artist's heart when he rambles on about why Jean-Luc's painting sucks. (Serves him right for painting a naked woman. :dry: ) I bet Jean-Luc curses the moment in which he asked Data "in what way" his painting's interesting. Bwahahaha? Haha.

ALSO, can we talk about the uncomfortable look on Jean-Luc's face when they watch Riker's version of what happened and Apgar's wife tries to seduce Riker. Jean-Luc is screaming internally NO I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THIS.

Clockwork-1.jpg162744.jpg

"Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!! TURN IT OFF!!!!"

:giggle:

You're more generous than I am; I gave this one a 2/10.

Only gets a 2 (instead of 1 or 0) because Mrs Apgar's version is just so damn funny.... "You're a DEAD MAN, Apgar!"

tumblr_m6xoco2iXp1rarmdho1_500.gif

Yeah Jean-Luc really isn't much into watching Riker being seduced by Apgar's wife. (I mean that's the way Riker saw things.) Understandably so. ;) I mean I'd scream FREEZE PROGRAM as well if some scientist's wife tried to seduce Jean-Luc. /zero tolerance for this kind of thing haha

Only gets a 2 (instead of 1 or 0) because Mrs Apgar's version is just so damn funny.... "You're a DEAD MAN, Apgar!"

Oh but the "YOU'RE A DEAD MAN APGAR" thing comes from Apgar's assistant's version, not from the one of his wife. ;) *nitpicking*

Yeah Jean-Luc really isn't much into watching Riker being seduced by Apgar's wife. (I mean that's the way Riker saw things.) Understandably so. ;) I mean I'd scream FREEZE PROGRAM as well if some scientist's wife tried to seduce Jean-Luc. /zero tolerance for this kind of thing haha

Oh but the "YOU'RE A DEAD MAN APGAR" thing comes from Apgar's assistant's version, not from the one of his wife. ;) *nitpicking*

home-alone-shut-up.gif

:laugh::giggle:

Totally keeeeding..... * hugs * :happy:

Sign in to follow this