Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Future's End pt1&2

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

WRITTEN BY

Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky

DIRECTED BY

David Livingston

First Aired Nov 6, 1996

Stardate Unknown

Voyager is pulled into a temporal wave and deposited near Earth circa 1996, where a 20th century man with technology from the 29th century is about to cause a cataclysm which will destroy the solar system.

While Paris bonds with a 20th century astronomer and Chakotay and Torres are taken prisoner by survivalists, Janeway attempts to stop the man who will be responsible for the destruction of the solar system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a fantastic two parter, I adore this episode. I really like the guest character Rain Robinson, she fit right in with the Star Trek universe (part of me wishes that she could have been in more episodes, although I know that would ruin the series to some degree). This episode also broadened the series with the Doc's mobile emitter, which really allowed the Doc's character to expand.

I loved this episode - awesome plot, fantastic acting and some great guest stars! It's really one of my favorites for the whole series.

I would have to agree Elara, this is easily one of my favourite Voyager episodes and I consider it pretty much the peak of Voyager for me, even if it is another one where they go back to 20th Century Earth. It also has lovely little observations like Tuvok's "We could have beamed down in our Starfleet uniforms, I doubt anyone would have noticed". Bit iffy on the computer stuff in there tho, like when Janeway gets into Starling's PC using a tricorder and the way Rain's computer HD was wiped etc, but still a great episode.

7, judging on pt 1. I must say I'm not too keen on the time travel episodes to be honest...

Watched it again last night. Still love it.

One of Tuvok's comments threw me though.

Tom: Lighten up, Tuvok. This was a great time and place, and you're getting to see it first-hand. Come on, take off your shirt. Tuvok: And risk dermal dysplasia? No thank you.

He lives on Vulcan for Pete's sake. That's as hot as it gets; what's he worried about?

Tom: Lighten up, Tuvok. This was a great time and place, and you're getting to see it first-hand. Come on, take off your shirt. Tuvok: And risk dermal dysplasia? No thank you.

He lives on Vulcan for Pete's sake. That's as hot as it gets; what's he worried about?

Pass. It's even more mystifying given Tuvok is a black Vulcan. :vulcan:

All in all a great pair of episodes. We get a good glimpse of the Federation of the future (and some inspiration for my fan fic) and plenty of mind melting temporal paradoxes :laugh:

Best of all the plot device to give the EMH a huge new role in the show. :thumbsup2:

snapback.pngVoyager, on 17 April 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

Pass. It's even more mystifying given Tuvok is a black Vulcan. :vulcan:

Flawed logic! :giggle::vulcan:

I remember how as a kid I loved this one for its idea of the crew suddenly appearing in our time....

I agree that it has some hilarious scenes!!...For example: Paris trying to get breakfast and the girl's comment; Doctor: "Divine intervention is unlikely".....

Great episode!

<br />That line was brilliant. It was the way Picardo played it so dry.<br />

Agree! Imagine them telling THAT story to someone later! They'd hardly believe themselves I guess...ROFL...they weren't dead, were they....?

Somewhere in DS9 Bashir has a similar scene to play somewhere, doesn't he?...also so excellently dry....

I just watched this recently to get a glimpse of Chakotay's hair. 

The only fact that bugs me is the lack of mention about the Eugenics Wars.

Otherwise, it's a cute, ala-Voyage Home thing.

The time travel stuff still gives me headaches, though.

And what's with the interior of Braxton's ship? Ugh.

Mah vote: 7

Good point.

Maybe there's a difference between Vulcan and Earth we don't know about. (the sun, the atmosphere...)

Agree! Imagine them telling THAT story to someone later! They'd hardly believe themselves I guess...ROFL...they weren't dead, were they....?

Somewhere in DS9 Bashir has a similar scene to play somewhere, doesn't he?...also so excellently dry....

If they were, the Doc would have royally screwed up the time line - unless they were so insignificant they didn't affect history in anyway. The phaser would have been on stun.

The time travel stuff still gives me headaches, though.

Oh yeah! Bad ones! Have watched "Fury" recently; still can't keep the time lines straight :confused: In this point "Future's end" is even one of the more straightforward ones somehow

That guy walking around with signs saying that the end was near was hilarious :laugh:

If they were, the Doc would have royally screwed up the time line - unless they were so insignificant they didn't affect history in anyway. The phaser would have been on stun.

They were close to doing that at 2 other points, weren't they? Once they were seen in the sky and I'm wondering about that girl who knows about them and would've been able to tell others...and those guys, of course :ohmy: haha but maybe it would have been regarded as some crazy people's tales....

They were close to doing that at 2 other points, weren't they? Once they were seen in the sky and I'm wondering about that girl who knows about them and would've been able to tell others...and those guys, of course :ohmy: haha but maybe it would have been regarded as some crazy people's tales....

I think after her time with Tom, Rain would have kept quiet about what happened. As for those two guys, you're probably right. I don't see anyone taking them seriously.

I think after her time with Tom, Rain would have kept quiet about what happened. As for those two guys, you're probably right. I don't see anyone taking them seriously.

Haha. A conversation between those guys would be hilarious like "Did that happen for real or were we stoned...?"

If that girl had refused to simply let Tom go like the old movie where they get that wale, they'd have had a problem! Taking her with them would clearly have messed up the timeline!

By VOY's standards, that's a rather enjoyable two-part episode, IMO. Light-hearted, meaningless fun, but entertaining as such -- yet certainly not outstanding or meaningful on any level. Plus Sarah Silverman is adorable.

Now sure how to rate it; shall I use a scale that rates it "by Voyager standards", or by ST standards in general?

I guess in the former case, I give it 9/10, but in the latter case 6/10 maximum.

Sign in to follow this