Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

False Profits

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

TELEPLAY BY

Joe Menosky

STORY BY

George A. Brozak

DIRECTED BY

Cliff Bole

First Aired Oct 2, 1996

Stardate 50074.3

Chakotay and Paris' away team discovers two Ferengi who came through a wormhole profiting off a local population. Janeway's plans to thwart them repeatedly backfire, until finally the captive Ferengi take back their ship and enter the wormhole themselves, moving it out of Voyager's reach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like 'Flashback', I love that they referred back to the earlier series from TNG; they turned it into a very funny episode. I particularly like that Ethan plays the Grand Proxy.

This was a great Ferengi episode, and just about the ONLY way to get the Ferengi into Voyager (aside from Quark's appearance in Caretaker). Ferengi episodes are generally fun (well post TNG they are anyways) and even though this was a follow-up to a TNG episode, it didn't disappoint. I loved the way that they had affected an entire planet's culture around Ferengi ways.

This was a great Ferengi episode, and just about the ONLY way to get the Ferengi into Voyager (aside from Quark's appearance in Caretaker).

Well, they did have another Ferengi storyline in "Message in a Bottle". But I agree, this was a great episode.

This was a great episode and I enjoyed it. It was so funny, hehehehe

Oh man, Voyager was so close to get home.....that was their 3rd attempt to get home!

I saw this on Virgin1 the other month for the first time since BBC2 first showed it. Funny. It was nice to know after that TNG episode they hadn't forgotten the Ferengi and neither have I...yes, I have another story idea! :) Seriously, a very good episode. And yes, Ethan Phillips' turn as the Ferengi was funny.

Yes, they always do *Shakes fist* lol

Indeed... had Voyager got home in this episode, we could have been spared Seven Of Nine and all related bunkum... :P

I gave it a 10. I liked how this picks up where TNG left off Re: the fate of these two Ferengi. Neat ep and gotta love how the Ferengi can make the best out of the worst situations. :thumbup:

I don't really like Ferengi much, can't stand their misogynistic ways. Nog's about the only exception, and Quark occasionally. This gets a 6 from me, and that for referring back to a TNG ep.

Definitely not my favourite, but I too really liked how they referred back to a TNG episode. I'm another one that is generally annoyed by Ferengi-with a few exceptions-so episodes that focus on them tend to irritate me.

Uh, I remember there was a few specific things in the episode that I liked, but honestly it's been ages since I watched it so I don't remember what they were. lol. Overall, 6/10 from me.

They would have gone back to the Alpha Quadrant, as it was still stable on that side at the time.

So...against my better judgement I watched this episode and remembered how much of a terrible leader Janeway is. Chakotay is a fool for not kicking off a mutiny in this episode.

This is yet another episode that suffers from the Gilligan's Island syndrome. A plot that has the potential to bring them home, but needs to fail out of necessity. This episode follows up some TNG episode (that I haven't seen) apparently. I'll give the episode props for mentioning a previous show, which Trek is often afraid to do.

Janeway, as usual, butts in because she believes her little science ship is the policeman of the universe. They find two Ferengi posing as gods to primitive aliens and are exploiting them. There is even a moment when Tuvok points out that they are under NO obligation to butt in. The Ferengi are not part of the UFP. Janeway manipulates the argument to say that since the UFP hosted the auction for the wormhole, they are partially responsible. BULL! Then to make it worse...they have Tuvok say her argument was "logical". No it wasn't!

While I do think the two Ferengi are disgusting for their actions, Janeway should have made a choice. Either arrest them or DONT. None of this grand proxy nonsense. She had them captured at the beginning and could have easily go into the wormhole. Instead, she releases them when one of them blatantly manipulates her in the most OBVIOUS way about how the people NEED them or they'll fall into disarray and chaos. Even though Chakotay and Paris had just informed her that the people are suffering under their administration and had FLOURISHED before the Ferengi got there. Why would she fall for that? See? This is what I'm talking about when I argue with Janeway fanboys/fangirls. The writers clearly hate this female captain and depict her as incompetent.

At one point the Ferengi says something about "what happens to a society that loses their gods?" Um....imagine if Picard had been there. He would have said something like "Typically the said society GROWS UP and advances." BOOM. He would have Worf arrest the two buffoons right then and there. Problem solved. Sisko probably would beaten them into a pulp and made himself Emissary to the aliens to make up for what the Ferengi did. Kirk would have kicked their asses, slept with the insanely hot servant girls the Ferengi had, and made it back to the Alpha Quadrant before noon. As usual, Janeway is depicted as a fool.

In the end, the Ferengi got away (don't even get me started that two weak Ferengi beat the crap out of two armed security officers and made it into shuttlebay to get their ship and flee!!!!). How the hell did that happen? Tuvok should perform seppuku in SHAME that he is in charge of those officers.

Anyways, they get away and the attempt to recapture them causes the wormhole to collapse and of course VOY is stuck in the Delta Quad. The end.

I give this miserable stinker 2 points. 1 for mentioning TNG and 2 for the dirty, evil look Kim gives Janeway at the end when she asks for "suggestions!?!?!?" after the wormhole collapses. He coldly replies "There are none." and just glares at her. I loved it. I'd have loved it more if he shot her with a phaser and commandeered the ship.

Oh well. I can dream.

Edited by The Founder

I gave it a similar rating and for the same reason.

And even so, Janeway has no jurisdiction over the Ferengi. What could she do? Toss them in the VGR brig for 70 years?!?

And even though the Federation hosting the Barzi wormhole conference, they were NOT responsible for the Ferengi (or their actions).

And you're right; how does Janeway choose to 'solve' this? With silly, hammy theatrics that wouldn't fool a fifth grader, let alone the greedy, wily Ferengi.

And again; the people FLOURISHED under the Ferengi regime; however exploited they were. Who cares? Why does Janeway have such a stick up her ass about imposing Federation morality in every corner of the Delta quadrant (even onto the Borg), yet crapping on and on about the vaunted Prime Directive?

Her leadership style is such nonsense. A culture flourishes under a NON-Federation system and her ego just can't handle it. The times Kirk interfered with the Prime Directive was because his ship was in immediate danger (as was his crew) by the actions of a decaying, atrophied culture such as the Betans in "Return of the Archons" or the People of Vaal in "The Apple." People who were little more than emotional zombies. The two Ferengi on the planet would've eventually died and that would've been the end of their 'regime.' But NOOOOO. Captain Janeway will have none of that....

By the way, I loved this bit too:

2 for the dirty, evil look Kim gives Janeway at the end when she asks for "suggestions!?!?!?" after the wormhole collapses. He coldly replies "There are none." and just glares at her. I loved it. I'd have loved it more if he shot her with a phaser and commandeered the ship.

One of the rare times Harry Kim seemed to almost grow a pair.... again; almost.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I gave it a similar rating and for the same reason.

And even so, Janeway has no jurisdiction over the Ferengi. What could she do? Toss them in the VGR brig for 70 years?!?

Funny enough, she does suggest that she will do that should the wormhole not stabilize....

And again; the people FLOURISHED under the Ferengi regime; however exploited they were. Who cares? Why does Janeway have such a stick up her ass about imposing Federation morality in every corner of the Delta quadrant (even onto the Borg), yet crapping on and on about the vaunted Prime Directive?

They actually said they flourished before the Ferengi got there, but your point still stands. And you bring up a rather interesting point I didn't consider: death. Eventually the two would have died and the people would have been freed.... Good point about that.

By the way, I loved this bit too:

2 for the dirty, evil look Kim gives Janeway at the end when she asks for "suggestions!?!?!?" after the wormhole collapses. He coldly replies "There are none." and just glares at her. I loved it. I'd have loved it more if he shot her with a phaser and commandeered the ship.

One of the rare times Harry Kim seemed to almost grow a pair.... again; almost.

Yeah really. I loved it. He had such an accusatory stare when he replied to her. I was surprised to see that out of Kim of all people.

What really irritates me is this is the EXACT same plot as "Caretaker". They have a way to get home. Check. They have a primitive species under threat. Check. They have a villain that needs to be dealt with. Check. Except neither the Kazon, nor the Ferengi had to be dealt with. It was stupid. If she HAD to kidnap them, then do it and flee. Same with Caretaker, if she HAD to destroy the array, timed torpedo and then a way home. Same thing.

I honestly cannot believe they let Janeway get away with her crime TWICE.

They actually said they flourished before the Ferengi got there, but your point still stands. And you bring up a rather interesting point I didn't consider: death. Eventually the two would have died and the people would have been freed.... Good point about that.

Sorry, I thought there was some hugger-mugger about the Ferengi bringing order to their society or some such crap. My bad. My repression therapy of most of VGR seems to have worked... :P

And was there some reason the Starfleet folks couldn't have just beamed in, stunned the Ferengi, kidnapped them and beamed out?!? Other than giving Neelix a chance to don Ferengi makeup (he does so again in S1 of ENT).

Sorry, I thought there was some hugger-mugger about the Ferengi bringing order to their society or some such crap. My bad. My repression therapy of most of VGR seems to have worked... :P

And was there some reason the Starfleet folks couldn't have just beamed in, stunned the Ferengi, kidnapped them and beamed out?!? Other than giving Neelix a chance to don Ferengi makeup (he does so again in S1 of ENT).

They didn't even need to do that. Transporters worked the first time. Janeway just lets the Ferengi go when he tricks her into believing the locals need their "gods". *face palm*

They didn't even need to do that. Transporters worked the first time. Janeway just lets the Ferengi go when he tricks her into believing the locals need their "gods". *face palm*

Once she released them, they were able to get a dampening field set up. Once again, Janeway at her finest.

I agree.

Another example of a Voyager episode that could have been really good, but descended into tedious trivialities and pantomime clowning around. Bland, uninspired and utterly predictable.

Sign in to follow this