Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Flashback

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

TELEPLAY BY

Brannon Braga

STORY BY

Juliann Medina

DIRECTED BY

David Livingston

First Aired Sep 11, 1996

Stardate 50126.4

An encounter with a familiar-looking nebula causes Tuvok to experience flashbacks to a terrifying event from his childhood. A mindmeld with Janeway takes him back to his years serving under Captain Sulu on the Excelsior, where he was invaded by an alien life-form.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this was a fantastic idea for an episode, I love how they integrated Tuvok into the 'Undiscovered Country', they pulled it off really well.

I like how they integrated it against Star Trek VI insomuch as repeating the wave hitting the Excelsior. Good to see beyond the bridge such as the Omega Shift room, more of Janice Rand to it and of course Hikaru Sulu.

Agreed. She was better then, however brief in Flashback & Star Trek VI then TOS. It's a shame that an Excelsior spin-off never happened as was hoped by some including or maybe mainly Takei.

A 10 from me. A great ep to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of Star Trek. :thumbup:

This episode was kinda weird, by the end I wasn't really sure what was happening. I give it a 6 overall, it was definitely cool to see Tuvok's past and see Captain Sulu saving Kirk and Spock from the Klingons, but everything else was really undone and confusing.

Just saw this again today. Have sorta mixed feelings about this one. In one way I like that the story was still very much a Voyager story and used to go for a trip back to nostalgia. But I also think the flashback to the Excelsior gave us very little else. Yes we saw beyond the bridge and it fleshed out more of Sulu's attempts to rescue Kirk and McCoy but I'd loved to have seen more. They did integrate it quite well with the story of the movie and the Excelsior looked great. Sulu was great with Tuvok teaching him the real ways of life as part of crew. I guess I just wanted more Exclesior bits and a little beyond what we got in the brief interaction between Janeway and Sulu.

But I'll give it an eight for Sulu and the Exclesior stuff.

It was great to see the Excelsior again, with Sulu, Rand and the others, and a cameo of Kang and his ship.

But the episode itself was handled really badly. The entire first act was pure tedium, with Neelix wittering on about eggs, Tuvok building a tower and so on... if you didn't know what was coming up you'd probably switch off in boredom.

The "repressed memory" idea was stupid. It didn't have anything to do with Sulu and the Excelsior, they should have come up with a better excuse for having them in, somethign that got into in straight away, didn't involve so many repeated scenes and didn't rely on endless pages of technobabble!

In the end, it felt like just a typical Voyager episode with an aged Sulu tacked into the middle for no apparent reason.

Even for the brief time actually spent on the Excelsior, there were too many inconsistencies with ST:VI. It would probably have been better to come up with an original scenario and not just re-do what we already saw in the film.

Considering it should have been one of the highlights of the series, the premise was based on a really bad idea that was executed even worse. It ended up not even being the highlight of the season and most of it was almost unwatchably boring.

Two words spring to mind: Epic fail.

Sulu was just a prop in this episode. He could have been omitted, and it would make no difference to plot. At least when TNG brought back Scotty, McCoy and Spock for episodes, it wasn't in some silly dream sequence. The repressed memory stuff was too much like Coda for my liking. It's like they wanted to increase Tuvok's character's Trek canon credentials by saying 'Hey, he hung out with the TOS crew back in the day!' This episode fell flat for me.

Sulu was just a prop in this episode. He could have been omitted, and it would make no difference to plot. At least when TNG brought back Scotty, McCoy and Spock for episodes, it wasn't in some silly dream sequence. The repressed memory stuff was too much like Coda for my liking. It's like they wanted to increase Tuvok's character's Trek canon credentials by saying 'Hey, he hung out with the TOS crew back in the day!' This episode fell flat for me.

Exactly my take on it.

Sulu felt shoehorned in; the whole Excelsior storyline just seemed like something made quickly to cash in on the 30th anniversary (something DS9 did far more successfully with "Trials & Tribble-ations"). And unlike DS9's T&T, the whole 'time travel' aspect to the show was irrelevant as it was only happening in Tuvok's mind. Reminds me of the old TV series "DALLAS" with the death of a leading character being 'just a dream' as his wife wakes up to see him in the shower....

To see Sulu and company in action again, as well as the nicely recreated Excelsior sets? I give it a 5. But even the "Phase 2" online fan films had nicely recreated Excelsior sets with the excellent "World Enough & Time" episode (a much better use of the Sulu character). As you say Hammer, Sulu and company felt like furniture here. There's nothing about this that needed to be a Sulu story; Tuvok could've just as easily served on another ship in his youth and it wouldn't have mattered ONE bit...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I really love this episode. A big fan of TOS and VOY. It was really nice to see a episode that is mix of both. It was great to see Sulu and Janice Rand again.

I really love this episode. A big fan of TOS and VOY. It was really nice to see a episode that is mix of both. It was great to see Sulu and Janice Rand again.

We don't get to see them again. We get to see a projection of Tuvok's memory of them, no better than holodeck characters really. Janeway couldn't interact with thim. It would have worked better if they did it like 'Yesterday's Enterprise' instead of 'Coda', and we were able to see the 'real' Sulu and Rand. This certainly doesn't warrant a '10', I'd say a generous '6' or a '5'. No way should this be counted among the top episodes of Voyager's run.

I agree with the flaws that others have pointed out, but I did enjoy it. I really, really, really love it when Trek does cross overs (something it was afraid to do more often). Takei, even if he was used sparingly, did wonderful as usual. I heard Takei pushed for a Sulu as captain show (could be a myth) and after this episode, I'd have liked that (and this is coming from me - mr. anti prequel). I do agree that the mind meld/dream/repressed memory stuff was confusing. I rewatched this episode about a month ago and even then I'm still baffeled with the idea...

I don't think they could have done time travel, though. DS9 already was and the shows weren't going to copy each other (well...sorta. :P).

I'll give the episode an 8 but mostly because I loved The Undiscovered Country and Sulu/Excelsior. But I agree with the unfortunate flaws (and that TNG handled the TOS cast better), so I can't give it a full 10.

I agree with the flaws that others have pointed out, but I did enjoy it. I really, really, really love it when Trek does cross overs (something it was afraid to do more often). Takei, even if he was used sparingly, did wonderful as usual. I heard Takei pushed for a Sulu as captain show (could be a myth) and after this episode, I'd have liked that (and this is coming from me - mr. anti prequel). I do agree that the mind meld/dream/repressed memory stuff was confusing. I rewatched this episode about a month ago and even then I'm still baffeled with the idea...

I don't think they could have done time travel, though. DS9 already was and the shows weren't going to copy each other (well...sorta. :P).

I'll give the episode an 8 but mostly because I loved The Undiscovered Country and Sulu/Excelsior. But I agree with the unfortunate flaws (and that TNG handled the TOS cast better), so I can't give it a full 10.

If I crave Capt. Sulu adventures? I'd rather just read some of the Sulu books or watch TUC again. This episode was like looking around a wax museum; the Sulu/Rand characters were really just furniture, as was Kang and the rest of the Excelsior crew (some of whom were in TUC as well). They weren't really 'interacting' with the VGR characters the way the DS9 crew interacted with the TOS crew in "Trials & Tribble-ations." The VGR duo were digging around in Tuvok's memory.

I love TOS; it's my first ST love. But this did not sate that craving in any real or meaningful way the way that TNG's "Relics" (oh, that AWESOME Scotty/Picard holodeck bridge scene!) or "Trials & Tribble-ations" (that one left me giddy with geek pleasure). "Flashback" had no consequence; no true interaction between the characters. Janeway never really met Rand or Sulu. She met Tuvok's memories of them...

I gave it the score I did pretty much for the excitement of seeing Sulu and the Excelsior gang (and Kang) again. But even those cameos do not an episode make if they have nothing really meaningful to contribute. I think Sulu was MUCH better used in the New Voyages/Phase II online fan film, "World Enough and Time"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TC5wl0IzE

even those cameos do not an episode make if they have nothing really meaningful to contribute. I think Sulu was MUCH better used in the New Voyages/Phase II online fan film, "World Enough and Time"...

Agreed. And the episode imediately before that one, To Serve All My Days, is a great swan song for Walter Keonig as Chekov.

even those cameos do not an episode make if they have nothing really meaningful to contribute. I think Sulu was MUCH better used in the New Voyages/Phase II online fan film, "World Enough and Time"...

Agreed. And the episode imediately before that one, To Serve All My Days, is a great swan song for Walter Keonig as Chekov.

Agreed.

That was one of the few times I actually liked Chekov. :laugh:

We don't get to see them again. We get to see a projection of Tuvok's memory of them, no better than holodeck characters really. Janeway couldn't interact with thim. It would have worked better if they did it like 'Yesterday's Enterprise' instead of 'Coda', and we were able to see the 'real' Sulu and Rand. This certainly doesn't warrant a '10', I'd say a generous '6' or a '5'. No way should this be counted among the top episodes of Voyager's run.

The same actors starring the same characters as in the TOS . And these are the new scenes, not reused scenes like in similar DS9 episode ( even though I love that episode too ).

So for me that was like see them again.

Most importantly we saw something new. Something that we've never seen in a movie. We learn something new about that historical event.

So in my opinion this was very strong episode. And they managed to bring TOS characters without having to travel through time. This is another plus for me.

Sign in to follow this