Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Innocence

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Title: Innocence

Episode: Season 2, Episode 22

TELEPLAY BY: Lisa Klink

STORY BY: Anthony Williams

DIRECTED BY: James L. Conway

First Aired: Apr 8, 1996

Stardate: 49578.2

SUMMARY:

While Janeway opens a dialogue with an alien race, Tuvok's shuttle crashes on one of their moons, where he encounters a group of children who have apparently been left as sacrifices to an unseen menace. He tries to protect them, but learns that they are not what they seem.

I didn't care too much about this episode but it was good.

I think this is a sweet episode. It is a bit strange to consider that their aging process is reversed, but I do like how Tuvok interacts with them.

I was about to give it an 8 and then I just felt this sudden wave of generosity overcome me and it got a 9.

I must have been feeling generous when I gave it a 9. It's definitely not worth that, although I did enjoy seeing Tuvok have to deal with 'children'. 8.

Because I lived in a TV-free household for a couple of decades, I've been a TOS fan since 1969, but I only started watching the other Star Trek series recently.

Tonight I watched this episode for the first time, and I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was a great episode, but watching Tuvok with the kids was fun, and I thought Tim Russ did a nice job. You could tell that Tuvok missed his own children, without his actually showing a whole lot (as is appropriate for a Vulcan), and I loved the way he was willing to stand between Tressa and anything that might try to hurt her.

I also liked it that the episode had the underlying message that it's a mistake to judge strangers' situations by our own. "These people are NOT just like you, and that's okay," is a message that seems to me to be the heart of Star Trek, no matter its incarnation.

I thought it was weird that the Drayan leader would talk about "reversed" aging, since it wouldn't seem reversed to HER, if that was what was natural for her species; she could have gotten the point across without using that word. And I wondered why Tuvok didn't have the kids sleep in the shuttle, if they were afraid of being grabbed by something. I don't like it when the reason for a character's actions is "because then the plot would fall apart" rather than "because that's who that character is."

Those are relatively minor quibbles, though, and overall I enjoyed the episode. The first half of Season 2 was ... not very strong, but the last few episodes have been quite good.

Since TOS was the only Star Trek I'd seen for a couple of decades (and since Spock will be my favorite character till the day I die), I always like it when Voyager gives us a Tuvok episode, since I have a soft spot for nice Vulcans. I feel sort of sorry for Tuvok and for Tim Russ, though, because Tuvok is at about the level of importance that Sulu was in TOS. So while Spock got to save the day with Cool Vulcan Powers a lot -- because he was TOS's second lead -- Tuvok doesn't get to do that. As #8 in the ensemble, his job is to get in trouble, so the series leads can extricate him from it. Funny how Cool Vulcan Powers are so much less effective in the 24th century than they were in the 23rd. :-)

Edited by Corylea

Perhaps 'reverse' aging only applied to their species and other species indigenous to their planet age normally. They would then know that they are aging in reverse compared to other species, even if they hadn't met aliens yet.

As for this episode, I knew there was a twist coming early on. It's a bit of a cheat though that the elderly children would suddenly forget why they were left there. It wasn't a bad Tuvok episode, but I'd say it was a middle-of-the-pack episode overall.

6.5/10

Sign in to follow this