Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Death Wish

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Title: Death Wish

Episode: Season 2, Episode 18

TELEPLAY BY: Michael Piller

STORY BY: Shawn Piller

DIRECTED BY: James L. Conway

First Aired: Feb 19, 1996

Stardate: 49301.2

SUMMARY:

Voyager inadvertently frees a member of the Q continuum from confinement within an asteroid, where he was placed to prevent himself from committing suicide. Q appears and Janeway holds a hearing to determine whether or not the other Q will be permitted to remain free and kill himself if he wishes.

First appearance of Q on Voyager!

It was great to see Q on Voyager. Anyways, this epiosode was good and was nice to see another Q who wanted to kill himself when the crew & Q were trying to stop him from doing so

GASP! I'm surprised no one posted for this episode yet.

I liked this episode a lot. The Q are a very interesting group, and I enjoy how philosophical they can be sometimes. I liked the questions Quinn asked. "What do we do when everything's been said? What do we do when we've experienced everything?" I kind of see why he did what he did, and in a way he became a matyr for his ideas, and Q fought for those very beliefs. It was good to see Q think about all he's done and become as well.

GASP! I actually missed it lol

Yeah, I love this episode, the whole issue of committing suicide or assisted suicide is an issue today, so I think it was a very interesting episode.

I just love the scene when Q brings people from history and Janeway tries to explain what's happened to them. There's that dead silence and then she says 'you're having a very strange dream'. The comic timing is excellentlaugh.gif

I don't think it deserves a 9 though, so I'll rescore it as an 8.

GASP! I actually missed it lol

Yeah, I love this episode, the whole issue of committing suicide or assisted suicide is an issue today, so I think it was a very interesting episode.

Agree! Isn't this also made a topic in tng "Ethics"?

Yes, it is. Janeway is much less objectionable to it than Crusher is though. Crusher would have probably sent Quinn back to the astroid.

This was a very good season 2 episode. Poor Harry, got sucked out of the Airlock! :giggle: 9

No he didn't. That was VOY: Deadlock.

Not a favourite episode, but it's one I don't mind watching again if it comes on. The hearing was very well done, and Tuvok raised some interesting points. It was nice to see Q on the defensive, even if he did kind of cheat when it came to his turn.

This was really one of our first glimpses behind the curtain of the Q continuum. Apparently even having super powers and being immortal can become routine and boring because there is nothing new to do or see. I liked the metaphoric representation of the continuum, as a rickety general store/gas station out in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to know what 'being the scarecrow' means in a literal sense. No wonder Q pestered Picard all of the time, he was simply bored.

Janeway is offered a trade of a Q shortcut home to Earth in exchange for ruling in the continuum's favor. Should she have taken the deal?

7.5/10

Edited by Hammer

To me, this was the best that the awful Voyager second season has to offer and one of the best Q episodes ever. Having Jonathan Frakes cameo as Riker didnt hurt it, either. An episode which shows Voyager (and Janeway) at its best, during the pre-Seven of Nine seasons.

2002260112.jpg

Gus

One of the few VOY episodes I truly like. Maybe even my #2 behind "Meld".

And there are only half a dozen to one dozen VOY episodes I really think are "good".

I have to say I really liked the first season of Voyager and then the Seven of Nine years. I am aware of the problems with the Captain Janeway character (I mean the writing, not Mulgrew acting, which was fine with me) and some poor performances of some members of the cast (Robert Beltran hated the show, Garret Wang and Ethan Phillips did nothing really acting wise during the series and so forth). Anyway, as much as I liked ENTERPRISE fourth season, I do wish VOYAGER deserved a more positive reaction from fans. "Death Wish" is proof of that.

Gus

I thought that Janeway and Q worked a lot better than Sisko and Q did. Q's character really mellows out over the years. He starts out by putting humanity on trial, but by the end of Trek's run he's telling his son to call Janeway 'Aunt Kathy'

I'm not sure I liked Q becoming a comedy laughingstock.

That started on TNG already ... in season 3, it was still tolerable IMO, because there still were a couple of serious streaks in the character. But "Q-pid" is an intolerable episode, IMO, so is "True Q". But the serious elements of "Tapestry" and "All Good Things" made up for it again.

And although I like "Death Wish" on VOY, Q is too much of a lightweight for my taste on VOY. Fortunately, he didn't appear that often. If he had, they'd perhaps have trivialized him beyond recognition, as they did with the Borg.

The way I like Q best was perhaps on TNG season 2's "Q Who".

Edited by Sim

Sign in to follow this