Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Threshold

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Which is maybe why they wrote in the de-evolution consequence, to avoid that 'jump to Earth' story trap. They couldn't have known how terrible it would look on screen, right?

I think Warp 10 would work as a series concept though, a science vessel which explores the entire universe.

I think they may have had two separate ideas for this episode; showing what happens when you hit warp 10 and for some reason de-evolution. If they had saved the de-evolution garbage for another episode, they could have salvaged this. Having Paris explain what it's like to be everywhere in the universe at once really doesn't do it justice. They need to show, not tell. Show the warp field shrinking the universe to a singularity, show us something exotic. This was easily the worst episode of Voyager's run and possibly the worst Trek episode aired. At least it isn't offensive like 'Code of Honor'.

1/10 I give it a 1 because it at least brings up the concept that Warp 10 means that someone occupies every point in the universe simultaneously. That's about the only thing they got right...

Angel_Confused.gif

How do you show what it is like to be everywhere at once?

Which is maybe why they wrote in the de-evolution consequence, to avoid that 'jump to Earth' story trap.

A trap they actually eliminated by curing it. By the end of the episode there is no trap at all. The doctor completely eliminated the consequence. And since the evolutionary shift isn't instantaneous there's enough time to actually start curing the crew while you wait around in Earth orbit after the Doctor sends his logs to Starfleet and they send more people up to administer the treatment faster.

They had to forget it because any way you slice it that episode would have ended the series pretty easily.

Edited by prometheus59650

I think they may have had two separate ideas for this episode; showing what happens when you hit warp 10 and for some reason de-evolution. If they had saved the de-evolution garbage for another episode, they could have salvaged this. Having Paris explain what it's like to be everywhere in the universe at once really doesn't do it justice. They need to show, not tell. Show the warp field shrinking the universe to a singularity, show us something exotic. This was easily the worst episode of Voyager's run and possibly the worst Trek episode aired. At least it isn't offensive like 'Code of Honor'.

1/10 I give it a 1 because it at least brings up the concept that Warp 10 means that someone occupies every point in the universe simultaneously. That's about the only thing they got right...

Angel_Confused.gif

How do you show what it is like to be everywhere at once?

That's what I want to know too, because how do you wrap your head around that concept? Paris talks about being with the Romulans, the Klingons and the Vidians if I recall correctly. Was he standing in a room with them? Since he occupied every point in the universe simultaneously, how does he not fill the room and suffocate them? Why wasn't he shown being everywhere on Voyager while this is going on? Does the ship appear to blow up to infinite size to an outside observer? This reminds me of 'the 37's' and Janeway prattling on about the magnificent cities which we never get to see on screen. This is a SFX sci-fi show, show, don't tell! They could have shown something amazing, but instead we got some weak dialog.

A trap they actually eliminated by curing it. By the end of the episode there is no trap at all. The doctor completely eliminated the consequence. And since the evolutionary shift isn't instantaneous there's enough time to actually start curing the crew while you wait around in Earth orbit after the Doctor sends his logs to Starfleet and they send more people up to administer the treatment faster.

They had to forget it because any way you slice it that episode would have ended the series pretty easily.

It was rather torturous but yeah I'm sure they could have endured the condition and treatment to return home. That's a plot hole I missed, good catch.

They could have shown some nice psychedelic trippy special effects, like a poor man's 2001 ending or what they did in TNG "Where No One Has Gone Before". Could have worked.

They could have shown some nice psychedelic trippy special effects, like a poor man's 2001 ending or what they did in TNG "Where No One Has Gone Before". Could have worked.

The salamander-mutation story just made no sense and felt totally out of place.

It would've been a much better fit if Paris beamed down to an alien planet and contracted a virus that slipped past the biofilter or something.

Maybe they could've had Paris come back with multiple selves (at warp 10 perhaps his mass was protracted to infinity?) or some other unusual story like that (like the 'other' Picard in TNG's "Time Squared").

Sign in to follow this