Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Threshold

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Ah yes...the infamous "I have no idea how evolution really works" episode.

The EMH is the most brilliant medical practitioner in history. He literally can manipulate evolution. In this episode, he can flat out REVERSE it. That's impressive.

Ah yes...the infamous "I have no idea how evolution really works" episode.

This is a good point.

Human evolution can't happen in a sterile, sheltered laboratory setting (unless it's the evolution of a virus or bacteria). Evolution of most living organisms is influenced by environment, random mutation (usually brought on by an external force, such as UV rays), adaptation and natural selection. And why the hell would Tom Paris and Janeway turn into reptiles, anyway? Is that the 'goal' of human evolution? Or is Voyager's environmental control system especially conducive to swamp, marsh like conditions? And does this mean that going warp ten automatically turns you into a reptile?!?

This episode is not only completely STUPID, it also fails to have any kind of MEANING. What did that experience MEAN?

Does it mean that going into 'infinite velocity' is trespassing into 'god's domain' or something? A barrier that shouldn't be breached by man? That's more a message for a cheap Frankenstein knockoff than a ST series. Although, when it comes to science? Star Trek can be almost shockingly puritanical at times; TOS' fearful attitudes towards computers and genetic engineering, for example...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Well it isn't like Tom and Janeway evolved... more like De-Evolved... This is more like Paris Protomorphisis Sydrome... That might have been intersting if Tom turned into a Gary Mitchell...

It is more likely they de-evolved, but the episode states he was evolving.

I also like that super evolved "human" babies were left to die on some alien world somewhere.

I also like that super evolved "human" babies were left to die on some alien world somewhere.

And in typical VGR fashion, the fact that Paris and Janeway had offspring together (!!) was never mentioned or referenced ever again.

And in typical VGR fashion, the fact that Paris and Janeway had offspring together (!!) was never mentioned or referenced ever again.

That's probabally for the best... the sooner the episode was forgotten the better

Edited by Kevin's Customs

They were sooooo ashamed of it that they decided to take the "It never happened!" approach. (At least that's what rabid VOY fans have to say about this. They generally find an excuse for EVERYTHING, lol.)

They were sooooo ashamed of it that they decided to take the "It never happened!" approach. (At least that's what rabid VOY fans have to say about this. They generally find an excuse for EVERYTHING, lol.)

So they left new life forms, created by their odd procreation, to die on a potentially hostile world due to modern day-type outlooks on one night stands: shame?

........and Janeway was PROMOTED to Admiral? Right?

So they left new life forms, created by their odd procreation, to die on a potentially hostile world due to modern day-type outlooks on one night stands: shame?

........and Janeway was PROMOTED to Admiral? Right?

Yes, shame. *nod nod*

But she was promoted because SHE DESEEEEERVED it, she brought her ship home, never mind that she erased years and years of history just to follow her own personal pride, now really, that was a small price to pay to get her ship home! It's not that she had the chance to do just that in the very first episode of the show already and in dozens of others!

;)

The EMH is the most brilliant medical practitioner in history. He literally can manipulate evolution. In this episode, he can flat out REVERSE it. That's impressive.

Maybe he did what Beverly did in Genesis? ;) (Another episode that makes no scientific sense).

I know Threshold is largely considered the worst example of Trek ever, but I actually don't mind it that much. It's the Spock's Brain of Voyager, an episode that is obviously ridiculous, but it doesn't matter! - There are far worse Voyager episodes, in fact, the majority are silly in one way or another (the entire execution of the series in fact is one big mess), it's just that this episode was a bit more blatent in its ridiculousness than most.

As I recall, there were a couple of nice scenes with Tom Paris wanting to prove himself - that side of him is much more interesting than the sorts of things he did later with B'Elanna.

Maybe he did what Beverly did in Genesis? ;) (Another episode that makes no scientific sense).

I know Threshold is largely considered the worst example of Trek ever, but I actually don't mind it that much. It's the Spock's Brain of Voyager, an episode that is obviously ridiculous, but it doesn't matter! - There are far worse Voyager episodes, in fact, the majority are silly in one way or another (the entire execution of the series in fact is one big mess), it's just that this episode was a bit more blatent in its ridiculousness than most.

As I recall, there were a couple of nice scenes with Tom Paris wanting to prove himself - that side of him is much more interesting than the sorts of things he did later with B'Elanna.

Its hard to say if I consider "Threshold" to be the worst VGR of them all; there are so many that are equally bad. The one where Kim is lured to live on the planet of babes who make him think he's one of them? Or how about most of the damn show for that matter? There are about a dozen VGRs that I actually enjoy. Honestly; out of 7 years and 170 or so hours, that's about it....

Asking me which is the worst Voyager is a bit like asking which arthritis attack I enjoyed the most (the one where I didn't nearly pass out from the pain, I suppose.... :laugh: ).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I think the idea had promise but it died in the execution... Whole episode worth of material to explain how we got this little transwarp jem to begin with prior to this episode... then concider a superevolved Tom Paris...

Think about TNG the Nth Degree... how mild mannered Barclay had mega ego issues... Imagine giving that kind of power to Tom Paris who has ego issues to begin with

I think the idea had promise but it died in the execution...

Yep, that sums up Voyager in a nutshell! :cylonclap:

4e8de2ea28ad6-1.jpg YAY BROTHER! WE REACH!! :thumbup:

I watched this episode years ago. Only thing I found amusing was my granddad's commentary, as he'd never seen Voyager until i insisted on watching it when I was staying round theirs for a few days when I was a kid. :giggle:

I watched this episode years ago. Only thing I found amusing was my granddad's commentary, as he'd never seen Voyager until i insisted on watching it when I was staying round theirs for a few days when I was a kid. :giggle:

I can only imagine the commentary... especially with THIS episode. :laugh:

Worst......Trek.......ever.

Seriously, I cant think on a worst episode than THRESHOLD. This one beats PLATOS'S STEPCHILDREN (TOS), MASKS (TNG) and MERIDIAN (DS9) easily. Even THE THAW is a classic near THRESHOLD.

Damn Voyager second season !

Which renminds me that PLATOS STEPCHILDREN is on the cover of the latest STAR TREK MAGAZINE, in a classic proof of bad taste. LOL

10367722_954034961281299_181431411564132

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

At first, I was still somewhat optimitic about VOY. The first season was okay for a first season, it felt more even than TNG's or DS9's first seasons. So I expected season 2 of VOY to increase in quality, like it did in the earlier series'.

But around the middle of VOY season 2, this optimitism got a setback. With episodes such as "Prototype" and especially "Threshold". I began feeling VOY is on the wrong track, and a few exceptions aside, this feeling never changed again about the series.

I give "Threshold" 2 points, though. The second point is for the mere admiration that those responsible had the guts to actually kick the viewers right in the face with such a disgusting, absurd crap. That takes some guts.

Edited by Sim

I give "Threshold" 2 points, though. The second point is for the mere admiration that those responsible had the guts to actually kick the viewers right in the face with such a disgusting, absurd crap.

I honestly don't think they thought it was that bad or be so poorly received.

I think they may have had two separate ideas for this episode; showing what happens when you hit warp 10 and for some reason de-evolution. If they had saved the de-evolution garbage for another episode, they could have salvaged this. Having Paris explain what it's like to be everywhere in the universe at once really doesn't do it justice. They need to show, not tell. Show the warp field shrinking the universe to a singularity, show us something exotic. This was easily the worst episode of Voyager's run and possibly the worst Trek episode aired. At least it isn't offensive like 'Code of Honor'.

1/10 I give it a 1 because it at least brings up the concept that Warp 10 means that someone occupies every point in the universe simultaneously. That's about the only thing they got right...

Never mind that they could have wrapped everything up right there. Jump to warp 10, jump to Earth, then have everyone wait in line to be cured before they (de) evolve.

Series ends.

Sign in to follow this