Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Threshold

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Title: Threshold

Episode: Season 2, Episode 15

TELEPLAY BY: Brannon Braga

STORY BY: Michael DeLuca

DIRECTED BY: Alexander Singer

First Aired: Jan 29, 1996

Stardate: 49373.4

SUMMARY:

Paris attempts to travel in a shuttle at Warp 10 and successfully breaks the barrier, but then he begins to mutate into an amphibian and his tongue falls out. Though the Doctor devises a treatment, Paris escapes, kidnapping Janeway and forcing her to transform as well.

This was a odd episode but it was good though.

Purely for entertainment value, I enjoy this episode, because Janeway and Paris having lizard babies is just so bizarre. On a scientific level though, this is a low point for the series.

Purely for entertainment value, I enjoy this episode, because Janeway and Paris having lizard babies is just so bizarre. On a scientific level though, this is a low point for the series.

Yeah the way they reached Warp10 and the supposed side effects of this were about as likely as the LHC actually producing a black hole like all the doomsayers feared. Also how would Voyager be able to do it on it's own when teams of Starfleet Designers with starship testbeds etc haven't yet achieved.

Sad thing is that it IS a nice idea for an episode, but lacking something in the execution.

I'm one of those who doesn't actually mind this episode. The concept is very interesting, it's just the ending which gets a little silly... and we're left asking ourselves why don't they just make the modifications for Voyager to go Warp 10, get home, and then have the Doctor de-salamander the whole crew :P

I'm one of those who doesn't actually mind this episode. The concept is very interesting, it's just the ending which gets a little silly... and we're left asking ourselves why don't they just make the modifications for Voyager to go Warp 10, get home, and then have the Doctor de-salamander the whole crew :P

Plus what about the lizard babies left on the planet? Isnt' that tempering with the natural development of the world? With the Prime Directive and all those Starfleet rules, I'm surprised there wasn't more a discussion regarding the children.

Plus what about the lizard babies left on the planet? Isnt' that tempering with the natural development of the world? With the Prime Directive and all those Starfleet rules, I'm surprised there wasn't more a discussion regarding the children.

I'll put that down to a typical-of-Voyager oversight... the kind of thing that can be gotten away with in Trek unless it's DS9 because of the motionary nature of the show... or some crap :P

I gave it a one. This episode actually rivals "Spock's Brain" and "Code of Honor" as the worst ST episodes. Weren't the writters embarrased to release this?

I give it an 8, I was definitely ecstatic to see Tom finally fulfill one of his dreams, not to mention I never once thought a Shuttle could go Transwarp speed! The episode started getting really good when you could obviously tell Tom had comer back from Transwarp with something that didn't belong, and it was going good until they figured out he was actually de-volving into some lizard creature, I won't lie, that part kinda disappointed me.... I was expecting something more like a powerful, almost omnipotent being or something like that, and I was actually expecting Q to come and see what was happening, since that experiment obviously disrupted the universes balance somewhat, but all in all, it was definitely exciting!

Couple of points/queries

1. It took Voyager 3 days to find them. In that time they mated, Janeway got pregnant and had 3 lizard babies? That's got to be a record.

2. Since the Doctor was able to turn them back, why didn't they just use warp 10 to get back to the alpha quadrant and then have him reverse the effects on the crew?

The logic behind the plot was just absent. Also, how could Paris and Janeway turn from Warm-Blooded to Cold-Blooded? :thumbdown:

Well we evolved from sea life and amphybians, so changing back to cold blooded animals, I don't really see as much of a problem.

I gave it a one. This episode actually rivals "Spock's Brain" and "Code of Honor" as the worst ST episodes. Weren't the writters embarrased to release this?

Actually, they were, according to Memory-Alpha.

Given the choice between this one, Code of Honor and Spock's Brain, I thought this one was the most 'tolerable', even though the science made no sense.

I give it an 8, I was definitely ecstatic to see Tom finally fulfill one of his dreams, not to mention I never once thought a Shuttle could go Transwarp speed! The episode started getting really good when you could obviously tell Tom had comer back from Transwarp with something that didn't belong, and it was going good until they figured out he was actually de-volving into some lizard creature, I won't lie, that part kinda disappointed me.... I was expecting something more like a powerful, almost omnipotent being or something like that, and I was actually expecting Q to come and see what was happening, since that experiment obviously disrupted the universes balance somewhat, but all in all, it was definitely exciting!

If I hadn't read the spoilers beforehand, I would have expected something like that to happen too. The devolution was too disappointing and weird (and disgusting in some places).

EDIT: I give it a 6.

Edited by Varekai

I never once thought a Shuttle could go Transwarp speed!

That's because they can't. ;)

Aside from the manifold technical problems with this episode that everyone else has pointed out, the one thing that really bothers me is...

This supposed transwarp flight was made "possible" by a new form of dilithium* that they discovered blah blah that remains stable at much higher warp speeds. Exactly how does that facilitate infinite velocity? In order to go infinitely fast, you'd need an infinite supply of energy. Which in turn requires an infinite supply of matter and antimatter, and as such an infinitely large vessel in which to carry it. Therefore you'd need infinite resources to construct it... et cetera, et cetera.

The episode should have ended when they explicitly said infinite velocity wasn't possible.

* WHEN are the writers going to get it into their heads that dilithium is NOT the energy source for the warp drive? *sigh*

The moment that the doctor injected Tom Paris with the "Anti-protons" (antimattter of course) , Voyager should have went-KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! Yes doctor cure any ailment by injecting your patients with anti-protons which in fact will ahahnilate Tom, Sickbay, Deck 5, and possibly the rest of voyager. Thats a real smooth move.

:laugh: I hardly think a few subatomic particles of antimatter would cause the destruction of an entire starship. Though it would probably cause some damage to Paris-gone-salamander. :giggle:

Just watched this episode again, and I realized two things. One, they never reveal what exactly this new form of Dilithium really is, and it is never mentioned again. How fortunate for the writers... :thumbdown:

I just watched this one recently... This has to be my least favorite... Neverminding the obvious question... like why does Tom turn into a lizard... I t have a bigger question... where did they get that transwarp engin for the shuttle in the first place... seems like getting a transwarp engine would be an interesting stoy to tell... also even though the attempt failed... perhaps the transwarp engin could be used some how some way later in the show

Sign in to follow this