Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Prototype

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Title: Prototype

Episode: Season 2, Episode 13

WRITTEN BY: Nicholas Corea

DIRECTED BY: Jonathan Frakes

First Aired: Jan 15, 1996

Stardate: Unknown

SUMMARY:

Voyager encounters a race of robots who do not have the ability to reproduce themselves. When Janeway refuses to let Torres build a prototype for them, the robots capture her and force her assistance.

This was a great episode. I enjoyed it. It was pretty nice to have Data mentioned by Torres.

I really love this episode. It is great to have a Torres episode that doesn't actually have anything to do with her being half klingon, but having to do with her being an engineer. I also liked the Moral side to this story and how the prime directive comes in.

this is an OK episode, nothing special. For some reason, I confuse it with Dreadnought, but maybe it's because that's another Torres ep that focuses more on her as an engineer etc

It is great to have a Torres episode that doesn't actually have anything to do with her being half klingon, but having to do with her being an engineer.

I agree with that. I like this episode a lot (but then I like most that focus on B'Elanna so I may be biased). Though with any episode where B'Elanna is focused on as an engineer she always seems to be pitted against herself in a way (like deciding if she should destroy her creation of not, or like Dreadnought where she has to stop something else she created - or program at least).

This episode aired this evening on Virgin1. Coincidence?

I missed these eps first time round so after they air I read up on them via AlphaWiki. Frakes found the story weak and evidently, was the last Trek episode he directed.

I enjoyed it. I would have preferred the robots to look less...cheap?

Once you're spoiled with Data, anything less is sometimes a bit of a disappointment.

unless it's a Cylon of course :P

Or a Terminator...not that there's many of those wandering around in Star Trek - or is there? :P

A Data T-800?

I'm sure Soong got round to it at some point. If only that model had been on the Scimitar; before sacrificing himself he could have mumbled in an Austrian accent; 'I'll be back...'

This one holds up well. I gave it a 9. Neat premise and kinda cool to see some robots take the initiative.

It was a cool B'Elanna episode but I for one am getting heartily tired of robots that run amok and kill their creators (a plot that should've gone out with Capek's R.U.R.), with one major exception, Galactica's cylons.

Another fine example of wanton violation of the Prime Directive.... didn't ANY of Janeway's crew (including Janeway) ever review the historical tapes of the Nomad or V'ger incidents (or any of the other sentient machines Kirk had to take down)? :P

I give it a 5.

It wasn't a bad episode, just sloppy storytelling. They helped an alien robot with NO idea of what it's function was... really smart there, guys.

They could've.... I don't know... OBEYED the Prime Directive and LEFT IT ALONE!

Just a thought.... :laugh:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Soooo corny. Janeway says something like 'Did we stumble into.... a Robot war?' and I start laughing every time I see it. Just terrible delivery by Mulgrew on that line.

B'Elanna needed a character development episode. Too bad this one was so cheesy. A generous 5/10.

Edited by Hammer

Soooo corny. Janeway says something like 'Did we stumble into.... a Robot war?' and I start laughing every time I see it. Just terrible delivery by Mulgrew on that line.

B'Elanna needed a character development episode. Too bad this one was so cheesy. A generous 5/10.

If they just minded their own business and left it alone, the Delta quadrant would've been better off for it.... just saying. Of course, if they'd done that there'd be no show to complain about, right? :laugh:

Another fine example of wanton violation of the Prime Directive.... didn't ANY of Janeway's crew (including Janeway) ever review the historical tapes of the Nomad or V'ger incidents (or any of the other sentient machines Kirk had to take down)? :P

I give it a 5.

It wasn't a bad episode, just sloppy storytelling. They helped an alien robot with NO idea of what it's function was... really smart there, guys.

I think Tereminator all showed us what happens when things like this happen. Good thing people still watch Sci-Fi in the future.

I give it a 5.

They could've.... I don't know... OBEYED the Prime Directive and LEFT IT ALONE!

Just a thought.... :laugh:

If this is violation of prime directive, then almost every episode of star trek is about violation of prime directive.

Maybe Janeway was channelling Shatner ;)

I've no problem with them finding a robot and trying to help it. They're meant to explore, seek out new life and render aid if they need it. (helping it is no different to the Ent-D helping Okana's ailing ship when they ran in to him).

You're not going to know if who you're helping turns out to be a psychotic being bent on gaining any advantage over an old enemy it's fighting until you hold out a hand and help them. ;)

Yeah I don't see how it was a violation of the prime directive either. Maybe under the 'providing technologies' clause, but really all they did was repair existing technology. B'Elanna was forced to develop the power cell against her free will. That certainly wasn't Janeway's intention from the beginning.

Yeah I don't see how it was a violation of the prime directive either. Maybe under the 'providing technologies' clause, but really all they did was repair existing technology. B'Elanna was forced to develop the power cell against her free will. That certainly wasn't Janeway's intention from the beginning.

Again, you see a robot adrift.... you don't know it's purpose. I would assume that since it had humanoid shape it was either a service drone or soldier of some kind. Probably jettisoned (for good reason). In either case, you simply take a full sensor scan of it; put it in the ships' memory banks and move on. Simple. Easy peasy.

But again; that would make for an even duller version of VGR, wouldn't it? :laugh:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this