Sign in to follow this  
Frontier

Ghostbusters III - No, Really...

Frontier   

If you're like me, you've heard this sort of thing oh so many times, that you're already rolling your eyes, yawning, and saying, "Yeah, yeah, I'll believe it when I'm in the freaking theater..."

Anyway, for the 600th time, "Ghostbusters 3" is in development.

Only this time... the word coming is from... the studio? :huh:

:huh2:

:shock:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117991624.html

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy- nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.

One of the original GB's, either Ramis or Aykroyd, confirmed the development. Though, considering Aykroyd's track record of Chicken-Little-esque comments concerning this film... gotta take that with a grain of salt the size of Mr. Stay Puft.

That said... we'll see.

We'll see.

I've been saying, "We'll see" since I was 5 years old.

:P:S

Tone720   

I kept hearing that Bill Murray wouldn't agree to appear himself in a new film and this was one of the things that blocked some of the many other deals that were in the pipeline. Rumour also was that he would VOICE his character in a CGI version?

Oh well, whatever happens we will at least get the new Ghostbusters game (thought by many to be replacing an actual film IIRC) across the formats soon :thumbup:

maneth   

Hmmm... I really don't know what to say. I liked the first two, but the actors are really a bit past it IMO. At least for a kiddie/teen movie.

Frontier   
I kept hearing that Bill Murray wouldn't agree to appear himself in a new film and this was one of the things that blocked some of the many other deals that were in the pipeline. Rumour also was that he would VOICE his character in a CGI version?

Oh well, whatever happens we will at least get the new Ghostbusters game (thought by many to be replacing an actual film IIRC) across the formats soon :thumbup:

About that... yeah, it's up in the air. :confused:

Vivendi, I think, decided not to release a dozen or more games. They're all up in the air on when, and under whose license, they'll be released. The GB game is one of those, but it is the most likely to be released. Eventually. It's just a question of when. It was supposed to come out in September, but now, at the earliest, December. If even then.

Murray indeed has been a big problem. One other way he may come back through voice work is as a Ghost. He's been quoted as saying he'd like that idea.

If Sony offered him enough money, I have no doubt he would do it, though. Especially in the wake of his recent messy divorce, which is costing him an arm and a leg.

There are so many "ifs" and "buts" and other questions still though. So many hurtles to jump to get to the point of even being in production. And we've been down this road so many times over the past 20 years... who knows what will happen?

Daxy   

I think I'm going to taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" opinon - there's just so much that goes with it and reasons for it not to happen that's its best to take that opinion.

There are so many "ifs" and "buts" and other questions still though. So many hurtles to jump to get to the point of even being in production.

I wonder if it's really worth all the trouble :) Just because the special effects are better these days doesn't mean that the powers-that-be can come up with a film on par with the first two.

Frontier   

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080908e.php

Original Ghostbuster Harold Ramis tells The Chicago Tribune that talk of a third "Ghostbusters" last week is accurate:

"Yes, Columbia Pictures is developing a script for GB3 with my "Year One" writing partners, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky.

Judd Apatow is co-producing "Year One" and has made several other films for Sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent.

Dan Aykroyd, Ivan Reitman and I are consulting at this point, and according to Dan, Bill Murray is willing to be involved on some level. He did record his dialogue for the new Ghostbusters video game, as did Danny and I, and Ernie Hudson.

The concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity."

Ramis doesn't have the same Chicken Little history as Aykroyd does when it comes to these things. He wrote a script with Aykryod for GB3 back in, I think, 1999, but he's never before come out to comment on any rumors other than to trounce them. So... that's a good sign. I guess.

trekfan   

Been waiting for this movie for YEARS, hoping with all my soul they make it.

let's face it, it'll be better than Spidey 3 for sure.

Ael   

Will be interesting if they make it. I used to love the movies when I was younger. Watched the cartoon all the time too lol

Tone720   
Been waiting for this movie for YEARS, hoping with all my soul they make it.

let's face it, it'll be better than Spidey 3 for sure.

as long as it doesn't follow a long tradition of bad 3rd movies in a franchise that Hollywood in general has with few exceptions...

as long as it doesn't follow a long tradition of bad 3rd movies in a franchise

Hey, not all 3rd movies are bad :) Indy, Return of the Jedi, Pirates of the Caribbean (ok...so that last one's debatable :biggrin:)

Tone720   
Hey, not all 3rd movies are bad :) Indy, Return of the Jedi, Pirates of the Caribbean (ok...so that last one's debatable :biggrin:)

not all, sadly most though, Terminator 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 (yes, they made a number 3, lol), Spiderman 3, Die Hard with a vengeance, Superman 3, Batman Forever are big examples

American Pie: The Wedding and Ocean's 13 are big exceptions though :thumbup:

Frontier   

New interview with Bill Murray on the topic of GB3. The fact that's he's sounding optimistic about things is a really good sign. He is usually the negative force in the world for such.

In an interview at a "City of Ember" at this year's FantasticFest, Bill Murray talked about the recently announced "Ghostbusters 3" and whether he would be involved:

"Well, I think the wounds from Ghostbusters 2 have healed. Supposedly they have hired two guys from The Office to write a script. So, that could work. I think that is a good idea. Maybe they will give us a fresh look at it. I've always liked our characters. Our characters are funny. We had a lot of fun making the movies. The first one was really a lot of fun to make. But I worry.

I think the first forty minutes of Ghostbusters is about as funny as a movie gets. It didn't have a lot of special effects in it. There were just a couple. It was just about those funny characters in that world. And I liked that movie. I think the first one had sixty plate shots, or something like that.

The second one had hundreds. The special (effects) guys got their hands on the script early, and it was just gone. It went away. The script just went away. And it was hard to wrangle, because it was tied all around the effects. It wasn't about the story coming first, or the characters moving through it.

They are hard movies to write, and Dan really caught it with that first one. He really caught it. The characters were fun to do. I did the video game this summer, and it was fun to do it again. I found myself walking down Fifth Avenue, singing that song. And people were like, 'God, that guy is really full of himself.' So, there you go."

I really can't stop laughing at that last mental image - Bill Murray walking down a NYC street singing "Who ya gonna call? Ghost-bust-ers!" :laugh::biggrin:

Tone720   
New interview with Bill Murray on the topic of GB3. The fact that's he's sounding optimistic about things is a really good sign. He is usually the negative force in the world for such.

I really can't stop laughing at that last mental image - Bill Murray walking down a NYC street singing "Who ya gonna call? Ghost-bust-ers!" :laugh::biggrin:

Why not? I sooo wanted to do that when I visited New York. It's a shame I didn't know where the firehouse was before me visit really (I thought it was a soundstage etc but the outside is a working firehouse quite near Ground Zero)

Frontier   
Why not? I sooo wanted to do that when I visited New York. It's a shame I didn't know where the firehouse was before me visit really (I thought it was a soundstage etc but the outside is a working firehouse quite near Ground Zero)

Yeah, but Bill Murray doing that. One of the guys who was a Ghostbuster. LOL. That's hysterical!

Frontier   
BLASPHEMER!!!

Word. I liked Die Hard 3.

Granted, none of the sequels have been as good as the original. That was just an out-of-the-park lightening-in-a-bottle insert-euphemism-here awesome flick.

I watch it each X-mas. It's my holiday movie tradition. :biggrin:

Word. I liked Die Hard 3.

Granted, none of the sequels have been as good as the original. That was just an out-of-the-park lightening-in-a-bottle insert-euphemism-here awesome flick.

I watch it each X-mas. It's my holiday movie tradition. :biggrin:

LOL, same here - I liked Die Hard 3 (and I have the whole trilogy on DVD), but it's really the first one that's a new kind of Christmas classic :thumbsup2:

Frontier   

They made a video game about 2003 or so, "Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza" and it's so cool because, you become John McClane and you're running around doing all the stuff, and it's so awesome because you get to jump off the building with the fire-hose attached, and run through the glass on the floor in the office area and all this stuff. :) That film sets the bar so high for siege films, nothings ever been close to as good.

They made a video game about 2003 or so, "Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza" and it's so cool because, you become John McClane and you're running around doing all the stuff, and it's so awesome because you get to jump off the building with the fire-hose attached, and run through the glass on the floor in the office area and all this stuff. :) That film sets the bar so high for siege films, nothings ever been close to as good.

As well as the other two.... ;)

Notice that I'm not saying the same for the so-called "fourth." As much as I liked it, it didn't feel like Die Hard. I mean, no John McTiernan in the director's chair, and Michael Kamen wasn't contracted for the soundtrack. And it was PG-13, so there were no F***ING F-bombs! :mad:

Frontier   

On a related note to the potential upcoming sequel, the next best thing - the Video game - just got a trailer released.

I've never had chills of nostalgia joy from a god damn video game trailer, lol...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43328.html?type

Ray (In response to Stay Puft): It wasn't me this time, I swear it!

Egon: All my data indicates that the ghost world is beginning to push through multiple cross portals from their dimension into ours.

Peter: Well... more overtime.

OMG... I want this game more than I've ever wanted a game. Just for the god damn thematic scenes! lol

Tone720   
On a related note to the potential upcoming sequel, the next best thing - the Video game - just got a trailer released.

I've never had chills of nostalgia joy from a god damn video game trailer, lol...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43328.html?type

Ray (In response to Stay Puft): It wasn't me this time, I swear it!

Egon: All my data indicates that the ghost world is beginning to push through multiple cross portals from their dimension into ours.

Peter: Well... more overtime.

OMG... I want this game more than I've ever wanted a game. Just for the god damn thematic scenes! lol

Amen. Now I just gotta choose.... choose the form of the game... that I buy....

(i.e Xbox 360 for graphics, or Wii for using the Wiimote like a neutron wand, ideally I'll get both but not straight away)

gametrailerscreen.jpg

Looks like from this screenshot they'll have an alternate version of the slimepacks from Ghostbusters II, just with green slime.... and the timing of this screenshot is rather err... unfortunate for Ray :laugh:

So is the Game actually taking the place of the movie, OR are we being ultimately spoiled and getting both?

:punk::disco::drool::clap::radekexcited::cool::dance:

Sign in to follow this