maneth

The Collaborator

Episode Name: The Collaborator

Episode Number: 24

Production Number: 444

Season: 2

Director: Cliff Bole

---

Two candidates for the Bajoran position of Kai face off on the station: Vedek Bareil and Vedek Winn. Both are determined to win the position, but Winn is more ruthless and accuses Bareil of being a collaborator during the Cardassian occupation.

---

The accusations turn out to be false, but only at the cost of revealing Kai Opaka as the instigator of the collaborations, since she elected to allow 43 people to be killed in order to save thousands. Vedek Bareil chooses not to tell, effectively handing over the Kai position to Winn.

I suspect that this episode is loved by some and equally detested by others. A lot of the politics can get tiresome after a while, but I found it nonetheless interesting to watch all that scheming.

Im not a huge fan of politics I must admit. Too much of it in any trek episode and I kinda zone out a little bit!

I enjoyed this one a lot. I gave it a 9. Kai Winn is good in this ep and gets even better as the series goes on.

Im not a huge fan of politics I must admit. Too much of it in any trek episode and I kinda zone out a little bit!

While I'm no fan of politics in real life, I love watching the politics about Bajor. This episode gets a 9.

Re-watched this... and... meh. An episode whose opening sequence has lots and lots and lots of Bareil from Snoreville can't be good, right? :P

Don't get me wrong, I like politics in real life but the whole Bajoran politics and religion thing has never managed to interest me in any way. Also, I really don't care if Bareil from Snoreville was a collaborator or not... I wish he had been, Kira would've dumped him and we wouldn't have been stuck with him anymore I guess, lol.

Kai FAIL is now really the Kai and KIRA was the one who helped her become one, haha, the irony, my child. I did enjoy the scene with Kira and Odo asking Quark for help, though. That was classic DS9. Aside from that... I get it that they had to make Winn Kai at some point in order to give her the power to be a true villain, but... did it have to get an entire episode that also features so much Bareil....?

Anyways, like I said, not one of my favorites. It gets a 3/10.

The favorite quote of the moment goes to Quark - for his "Whatever she told you - I didn't do it!" line.

Kai FAIL is now really the Kai and KIRA was the one who helped her become one, haha, the irony, my child.

I thought you might have said something about seeing Kai Opaka again...?

I don't mind this episode. It's good to see a softer side to Kira. It really keeps you guessing whether Bareil is guilty or not. In other Trek shows, you would know immediately that a semi-regular can't do anything wrong, but on DS9, the moral ambiguity is much more interesting.

Yeah I liked seeing Kai Opaka again, that's true... I just wish she'd have come back in person. :(

This one kind of bored me, frankly.

Mr. Picard is right; too much of Bereil from Snoreville and too much religious infighting (as an atheist, none of that really holds weight with me; it's like seeing two kids arguing over Superman vs. The Tooth Fairy). It's kind of sad that Kira was not only dragged into it, but had to help her worst enemy.... irony, indeed.

I give it a 6, and that's largely because Louise Fletcher is so awesome (1976 Academy Award winner for her role as Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest").

I have to admit she did a wonderful job with Kai FAIL. So wonderful that everyone always wants to throttle that character. Haha!

Oh and speaking of which, that vision scene in which Bareil KISSES her seriously creeped me out. XD Not even I would ship that, lol!

I have to admit she did a wonderful job with Kai FAIL. So wonderful that everyone always wants to throttle that character. Haha!

Oh and speaking of which, that vision scene in which Bareil KISSES her seriously creeped me out. XD Not even I would ship that, lol!

Kai FAIL (love that name, BTW) later on (in S7) has the creepiest of all ST relationships; her whirlwind romance with the Bajoran-ized Gul Dukat... :S

(if you haven't seen S7, forgive the spoiler....). :angel_not:

I have seen it, no worries. I still don't know the exact level of CREEPY that particular relationship represents... but I do love that Dukat pwns FAIL like that. Serves her right if you ask me. :P

Well I really love this episode, every time I watch it I enjoy it immensley. Really love Bajoran politics and their culture. It's also commendable the creators did not do the obvious, solve the accusation before the election so Bareil could still be Kai. This sets up so many intriguing storylines in future episodes. This s actually one of my favorites of the season.

9/10

Edited by MS1-DS9-Fan

I remember watching this and thinking that Bareil really should have been a collaborator. It would have made the episode more interesting, and it would have had more of an impact.

Edited by Explorer3

40 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

If he had been, we would have missed "Life Support," which solidified my hatred of Winn.

I began my hatred of Winn early; all the way back with "In the Hands of the Prophets"... :P

3 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

I remember watching this and thinking that Bareil really should have been a collaborator. It would have made the episode more interesting, and it would have had more of an impact.

This is a cool idea. Bariel was such a dreadfully bore of a character. I can't see what someone like Kira saw in him.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I began my hatred of Winn early; all the way back with "In the Hands of the Prophets"... :P

Oh, I never liked that blankety-blank but that was the episode where, "Yeah, nothing she can do can ever redeem her to me."

1 hour ago, The Founder said:

This is a cool idea. Bariel was such a dreadfully bore of a character. I can't see what someone like Kira saw in him.

Centered when she was decidedly not? I can see how that would appeal.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Oh, I never liked that blankety-blank but that was the episode where, "Yeah, nothing she can do can ever redeem her to me."

Think my hating of her began whenever she called Kira 'child.'   Yech... I hate condescending types, especially those cloaked in some kind of false moral authority. 

As for Bariel?  I think our own Mr. Picard coined the name I prefer for him:  Bore-iel.   Perfect. :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Think my hating of her began whenever she called Kira 'child.'   Yech... I hate condescending types, especially those cloaked in some kind of false moral authority. 

As for Bariel?  I think our own Mr. Picard coined the name I prefer for him:  Bore-iel.   Perfect. :thumbup:

Nah, wasn't me. I call him Bareil from Snoreville. ;)

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Nah, wasn't me. I call him Bareil from Snoreville. ;)

I thought it was you (?).... surely there can't be TWO people out there with your wonderful snarky wit. :P

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I thought it was you (?).... surely there can't be TWO people out there with your wonderful snarky wit. :P

Nope... although I will admit that it DOES sound like me - like, "people who bought Boreil also bought Blandij Botoxface, Redhead of Doom and Vash-Means-Cow-In-French". :P 

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Nope... although I will admit that it DOES sound like me - like, "people who bought Boreil also bought Blandij Botoxface, Redhead of Doom and Vash-Means-Cow-In-French". :P 

^ You see what I mean?  I'm shocked it wasn't you...:laugh:

21 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Centered when she was decidedly not? I can see how that would appeal.

Opposites certainly attract indeed. I just always felt that he was so dull and Kira was more ... full of fire (especially the earlier seasons). They never really meshed to me. Even her and Shakaar. I feel like DS9 just put her with Bajoran men and hoped a convincing romance could come out of it. haha.

Sign in to follow this