Profit and Loss

9 posts in this topic

Episode Name: Profit and Loss

Episode Number: 18

Production Number: 438

Season: 2

Director: Robert Wiemer

---

A Cardassian woman who was Quark's flame in the past arrives on the station. Quark is willing to do almost anything to get her back.

--

I enjoyed this episode, it was wonderful to see that Quark has a softer side and is capable of feeling something more than mere greed. Sadly things don't quite turn out the way he would have preferred.

This was a pretty good episode to watch. I give it a 8

It was good, I gave it a 7.

I enjoyed this episode, it was wonderful to see that Quark has a softer side and is capable of feeling something more than mere greed. Sadly things don't quite turn out the way he would have preferred.

Agreed. It was great to see that there is more to his character.

Meh episode. That ''great love'' was not convincing to me. I only like the end part with Garak.

A 7.

Loved the Ferengi/Cardassian take on one of my favorite romance movies, "Casablanca." It's not the first time ST has adapted a movie into its format, but certainly one of the most inventive and well-fitting. And it's surprising to me how effective the story was even when adapted to the DS9 format (you have the Cardassians as the Nazis and the Ferengi barkeep as the American "Rick"; staying nice and neutral). And the fact that Quark IS cast in the Bogart role is just wickedly funny (only on Star Trek could you pull this off)! But yet Armin Shimerman played the romantic stuff far more convincingly than I would've anticipated.

I half expected him to tell Garak, "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...." ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Re-watched this one yesterday and... no. Just no. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Honestly, Quark babbling about love and romance and uuuuuugh, it made me insanely uncomfortable. I prefer him as the capitalist Ferengi who puts profit over everything. I get it that this might be appealing to pretty much everyone but me, but I've always hated episodes in which people confess their love for one another (or one of them, it's Quark who does most of the talking) in scene after scene after scene after scene. It's insanely tedious for me to watch, and therefore this episode really is one that I'll have to skip in the future. I want "my" Quark back.

Aside from that, the episode does get interesting in the end with Garak and that Cardassian Gul (who, by the way, is rather attractive). The presence of Garak is, in fact, what saves the episode from getting a 0/10 rating. I just love how sneaky he is and how he shoots that Gul at the end, just like that. A simple tailor, eh? Not. :P

This episode gets a 2/10, just for Garak.

The favorite quote of the moment award goes, of course, to Garak. "Commander... I think we should talk."

I really liked this episode! The title makes it seem like it is a typical Ferengi episode but it's not in fact. Quark lost love arrives at the station. Garak has a major role in ths episode which is always a treat.

8/10

I thought this wasn't a bad episode .... but it had its flaws.

I don't really see Quark "falling love". Not without a heavy dose of lust involved. When he fell in love with that fierce Klingon woman, I could kind of understand it. But ... I don't know. Seems like they needed character development for Quark beyond something to do with his bar. I guess it was jarring because you don't often see Quark in genuine love - no profit included at all. No lust either.

I liked the political aspects knowing what I know about the future episodes. Cardassia went through so much political upheaval. The military junta ruling them. Then this civilian group trying to take control (which we see prominently later on during the Klingon War). It was a nice seed that was planted in this episode. Unfortunately, that interesting aspect was tossed to the way side for a love story for Quark. This is one of those things where Quark's story should have been secondary...

The Cardassians were clever by offering Bajoran prisoners for Natima Lang and her students. It put Sisko in an impossible position.

While the moment with Quark and Odo was funny (especially when he hugged Odo) - I wasn't sure how I felt about Odo letting the prisoners go. His reasoning was weak. In his view, he didn't see they did anything to warrant the death penalty. Ok - fair enough - but who is he to decide that? That seems like he is letting his personal bias control him. His internal Founder appeared and he forced his own morality on the Cardassians. :P

As for the ending - it's not often Garak is made to look stupid. When Toran tells him "You didn't really think Central Command would let you come back just for killing them did you?" and Garak's face ..... His one weakness that can be exploited was his desire to go back home. Toran exploited it. Later on Tain exploited it. Others would try, but you could tell he would create a shell later on.

The one thing I thought was weak, besides Odo's choice, was Garak killing Toran. No alarms went off when he shot him? Starfleet and the Bajorans would look the other way at  Garak doing that? You'd think both sides would be pissed. Garak killed a person (although he could argue self-defense). And the Bajorans lost out on their prisoner transfer. So ... all is forgiven? Really weak writing here. I guess one could argue that Sisko told the Bajorans what happened and Garak was just defending himself. I don't know ...

Plus, there is still the issue of a Cardassian ship hovering around the station waiting for Natima and her students. They got away via cloak but you'd think the Cardassians would still be waiting ....

All in all 6/10. A weak one from season 2 but considering the politics reappears later on and impacts the show - this was an important episode.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0