Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

Mishi   

I see, that makes sense. Trust me when I say I'm shooting at flies with guessing at this stuff :laugh:

Thanks for the help! I have some rewriting to do. I might look up a con and see the floor plan (if they have those on con websites).

Ael   

Hate to tell ya, but I have never seen a site that has a floorplan of everything. I could try and draw you one, but I might end up making you confused lol I suck at drawing that kind of thing :laugh:

Mishi   

lol, you don't have to do that :laugh: I haven't had time to search for convention websites yet. I'll probably just search anyway to see what they bring up.

Terilynn   
I see, that makes sense. Trust me when I say I'm shooting at flies with guessing at this stuff :laugh:

Thanks for the help! I have some rewriting to do. I might look up a con and see the floor plan (if they have those on con websites).

Since they're at hotels typically - just walk through the ballroom set up at any local business hotel.... :)

Mishi   

That is a good idea. I was looking online, but haven't found anything to go off of yet. What I plan to do is to just rewrite the scenes that need it, and then have my friend who's been to anime conventions read them to see if the descriptions are accurate, bribing her with chocolate of course :laugh:

Cheile   

Mishi, definitely do an unexpected run-in in an elevator, like in the lobby or elevator. that happened to me both times and it was funny as heck! :remembers random convo with Marc Alaimo in hotel lobby at three am:

Ael...perhaps T'Rul tries to introduce your namesake to her circle of friends?

suggestion - perhaps a small gathering they have been invited to, only it turns out to be bigger than thought (think of a private party that gets slightly out of hand with extra kids showing up...surely Romulan teenagers might do the same thing?)

perhaps since Ael wouldn't go out alone, she might be briefly separated from T'Rul at the party for a short span (20-30 mins) and say, ends up chatting up a nice young man and ends up harassed by other girls for it? i.e. one of those girls could be his intended (or thinks he should be her boyfriend) and assumes Ael is trying to steal what's "hers"? could take T'Rul and her blade to get the groupies off Ael's back.

just something to chew on. :) hope it helps!

Mishi   
Mishi, definitely do an unexpected run-in in an elevator, like in the lobby or elevator. that happened to me both times and it was funny as heck! :remembers random convo with Marc Alaimo in hotel lobby at three am:

That must have been a really neat experience! There is a run-in in the lobby and another character mentions seeing another actor in an elevator. All this con talk and writing is making me really want to go to one.

I need some help.

I have my first Star Trek fanfic up on the forum here, and it's visible as "The Lost Planet" as the topic title. Now, I always check to see if anyone's read, and at the time I'm posting this, there are 44 views. and, I've waited for a week or so, but no one has sent in a reply so far. I don't know if the people are reading half of it, or they just think it's bad, but, I sort of expect a reply right around now (if I'm wrong, I'm thinking the people would reply right away).

I know it's probably bad, due to the fact it's my first fan fiction, but people could just say that, I don't care if they say it's bad, I mean, it's the first I've done ever.

:cry:

Glenn   
I need some help.

I have my first Star Trek fanfic up on the forum here, and it's visible as "The Lost Planet" as the topic title. Now, I always check to see if anyone's read, and at the time I'm posting this, there are 44 views. and, I've waited for a week or so, but no one has sent in a reply so far. I don't know if the people are reading half of it, or they just think it's bad, but, I sort of expect a reply right around now (if I'm wrong, I'm thinking the people would reply right away).

I know it's probably bad, due to the fact it's my first fan fiction, but people could just say that, I don't care if they say it's bad, I mean, it's the first I've done ever.

:cry:

We get many guests here. The Omega Sector is quite highly ranked on Google for such searches. Sometimes people will read your work even if they don't have an account with which to post replies. I know I often read things way in advance of leaving feedback (as I like to try and give constructive feedback and think before I type). Please, don't worry if you get no replies. The view counter is what matters, and with 44 views, somebody is reading!

Benedict   

Hold in there Abbey. CA's right, mostly guests notch up these views. My Raven has 1000+ I think, and save for 6 other posts, I'm the only one posting :)

As long as someone reads, that counts for something.

S'kai   
That is a good idea. I was looking online, but haven't found anything to go off of yet. What I plan to do is to just rewrite the scenes that need it, and then have my friend who's been to anime conventions read them to see if the descriptions are accurate, bribing her with chocolate of course :laugh:

I just came back from Farpoint. If you want to PM me your snail mail, I can photocopy the floor plan of that convention and mail it to you.

trekfan   

Folks, I'm having a bit of a commitment issue.

I'm about ten chapters away from finally being done with book 2 of the Pearl, but I'm having difficulty deciding what book 3 should be.

I've recently fallen in love with a great idea, and though I've had book 3 planned out for awhile, I'm seriously considering scraping it and using the new idea.

Of course that would mean that the way I wanted book 2 to end will have to be different....

So, I'm kinda at a loss. Should i stay with my original idea or go with new idea for book 3? If i go with the new idea than I have to make a rush ending or perhaps a weird tie in for book 3...I'm torn :(

SLWalker   
Folks, I'm having a bit of a commitment issue.

I'm about ten chapters away from finally being done with book 2 of the Pearl, but I'm having difficulty deciding what book 3 should be.

I've recently fallen in love with a great idea, and though I've had book 3 planned out for awhile, I'm seriously considering scraping it and using the new idea.

Of course that would mean that the way I wanted book 2 to end will have to be different....

So, I'm kinda at a loss. Should i stay with my original idea or go with new idea for book 3? If i go with the new idea than I have to make a rush ending or perhaps a weird tie in for book 3...I'm torn :(

Well, stories always evolve. As zen and new-age as this is gonna sound, sit down and think about where the story naturally wants to go and then follow that -- the new idea you love came into your mind for a reason. If you think about it all enough, the answer will come to you. Maybe it'll end up being a blend between the first idea and the second, or maybe it'll be a third that has the best elements of both. But if you spend enough time following where the story takes you, the answer will come and the story will be amazing.

Glenn   
Well, stories always evolve. As zen and new-age as this is gonna sound, sit down and think about where the story naturally wants to go and then follow that -- the new idea you love came into your mind for a reason. If you think about it all enough, the answer will come to you. Maybe it'll end up being a blend between the first idea and the second, or maybe it'll be a third that has the best elements of both. But if you spend enough time following where the story takes you, the answer will come and the story will be amazing.

Great answer.

I'd add to it by telling you that, for all the planning in the world, nothing can prepare you for a flash of inspiration. If you love the new idea, run with it. Save the plan you've got for Book Three: it might come in handy later, or could be adapted to a future book, or even something different altogether (an NX Endeavour episode, even). I'll hold my hands up and say, though, that I frequently look at the planned course for Star Trek: Discovery and go "hmm... nah..." and change episodes entirely. What you see on the page goes through multiple different strands of ideas.

Do whatever feels natural. You're the boss: this is your universe with your characters. Do what you want them to do.

It doesn't get much simpler than that, mate. :thumbsup2:

Benedict   

What CA says.

I used to and still do have six stories open, start on say e.g #51 but then stall on that but have a go at #54.

It usually works out.

Terilynn   

wax on...wax off.

;) In other words.

What they ^ said. *hugs*

Cheile   
Do whatever feels natural. You're the boss: this is your universe with your characters. Do what you want them to do.

It doesn't get much simpler than that, mate. :thumbsup2:

^ big giant WORD to that. well said, Glenn. :)

Glenn   

*raises hand* I have a question...

I want to include a member of the Axanar species in Star Trek: Discovery but, alas, have come across a problem. The Axanar have no gender. This is specifically stated by Jonathan Archer's log entry in "Fight or Flight" (ENT) and doesn't override the canon set out by the original series either. The problem, therefore, is how to refer to a member of the Axanar species without using him or her, he or she... I don't want to call them "it" the entire time, as that seems incredibly rude.

The original Axanar has been switched to a Kreetassan for now, but I still want to include an Axanar serving alongside my crew before the final episode.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

SLWalker   

'Them' is a dubious way to refer to someone when you don't want to use gender. But 'it' would be all right; it's only rude if you apply our standards to it.

Glenn   
'Them' is a dubious way to refer to someone when you don't want to use gender. But 'it' would be all right; it's only rude if you apply our standards to it.

Good point. I guess 'tis either that or making up a new word/set of words that Axanar culture use to refer to one another... damn, I suck at making up language though...

Thanks for pointing out 'them' as a possible option. Depends how big the Axanar character will be... *scratches head*

Terilynn   

ax

short, sweet, easy - already part of the name.

Then again - you can ignore me. I'm on cold medication...*pffft.* *GRINS*

Glenn   
ax

short, sweet, easy - already part of the name.

Then again - you can ignore me. I'm on cold medication...*pffft.* *GRINS*

Why should I ignore you... that's an excellent suggestion!

Thanks, m'dear! :thumbsup2:

What I'll do is write the scene featuring the Axanar and then play around with what flows best. I'll let you know how it goes!

trekfan   

Actually, I need some more help.

Exactly how many ships should comprise a fleet in 2166 for the Betazoids? I'm having trouble finding an acceptable number. Any ideas?

Terilynn   

The beauty is trekfan...any number is good IMHO---

A fleet is as big as you need it to be for any tactical need really. I think current naval fleets are 15-25 ships?

Betazed in 2166? Ah...I think they'd have a pretty decent size force, I was always under the impression they had warp capabilities for much longer than Earth...so...total force of a couple hundred ships divided up into 10-15 fleets?

Anyone else have input?