Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

trekfan   
noted on number one--i kinda figured that would be theanswer. easily done :)

number two--hoo brother now i gotta dream up a number! oy LOL.

next question...i need a reliable stardate converter. suggestions. i have one date now that i need - November 11, 2469 converted to stardate. the other will come later once i figure out what date is needed. all i know at this point is year will be 2474.

Here's the one I use, and so far no ones pointed out how wrong it is, so I would say it's reliable.

STARDATE CALCULATOR

The instruction our on the page there. If you have any problems, feel free to ask me. Hope this helps :)

Benedict   

I give up with stardates. They cropped up in my earlier Raven stories but gave up after a while. I prefer 'Old Earth Date' or in the case of Enterprise, Star Log.

SLWalker   

Looking for: A new editor

Requirements: A pretty good working knowledge of the Arc of the Wolf.

Specifically, I need someone who's willing to give me decent feedback and concrit on my longer stories, someone willing to go in and chop it up if need be, or suggest where I need to add more clarifications. I also need someone who's willing to help me brainstorm a bit, as action-adventure sequences throw me off (though it may be awhile before I get through the story that has those), and who can help me figure out what I'm doing right or wrong. Added bonus if they're good at catching grammar/spelling errors, but that's not a requirement.

Anyone willing feel free to apply.

I never bother with stardates in my fics. I'll usually put *insert date here* and have an Author's Note at the beginning of the fic telling people the general time that the story takes place, either in relation to canon events or in relation to my other fics.

Cheile   

oh writer's block...you suuuuuuuuuuuuck!

i need suggestions for what a Bajoran man might give his betrothed as a courtship (for lack of a better word) gift. besides the bracelet that shows his intentions....this is before he'd give the bracelet.

S'kai   

A bellaklavion or other musical instrument. Perhaps a simple wooden flute, beautifully carved from the wood of the whosiwazzit tree. Bajorans are big into music.

Cheile   

^ musical gift...never thought of that. now i have two ideas (someone else suggested something to do with flowers besides the straight gifting of them). thanks S'kai. :)

Terilynn   

OK you All - I need your help!!!

I'm not even close to finishing my DS9 viewing, but months ago, after researching the Lwaxana Troi character for Heritage, imagine my utter shock in finding out she had gvein birth to a boy...

Leaving Deanna with a half-brother and my main characters with an UNCLE.

This is actually really, really great for me and my story-line BUT seeing as though this character has never been mentioned in canon...

How about suggestions for names...and the only one I think would be inappropriate would be Ian - seeing as though this child had nothing to do with Ian Troi.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

Terilynn   

Hmmm...I think Ian Troi was Ian Andrew Troi...and I think Deanna named her first child Ian Andrew. I think Lwaxana would have stayed away from anmeing her son - who was fathered by someone else (Jeyal - who she divorced) after her dead first husband...I guess I should have posted the Andrew with the Ian!! oops! Sorry!

I think she would have gone with a Betazoid name...and they're all pretty Greek sounding...But I tapped myself out A Pocket bOok actually uses the name Barin...but I hate it.

Tone720   

From the Memory Alpha article on Lwaxana (although not a canon source):

The name of Lwaxana's son was given as Barin in the novel The Battle of Betazed.

and for some reason on first reading the question (before I scooted over to MA), I though of Gavin as a likely name, not sure why.

Terilynn   

I like Gavin much better than Barin! He'd be 11 or 12 years older than Cassidy...so...at the time period I'm dealing with - he'd be 22 or 23...

Hmmmmm....

THANKS!

KKGlinka   

It's a long shot but I may as well ask, yeah? I need a beta but it's an easy beta, in that I only need you to check that it makes sense. You know, like if I forgot to explain something I think is really obvious because it's in 3d color in my head? But it's a 63,000 word story. :cry: About Tasha Yar... and a Romulan general. :loopy: Oh, and Sela, Charvanek and Donatra appear in it, too. Sometimes it's cute, in between the psychological horror and vicious politics running in the background. Heck, if you think you might be able to do it but don't want to commit without testing the water, I can give you a couple of scenes to try, first. *doesn't hold her breath*

trekfan   

Hey quick question for you all out there.

I find myself in a bit of a situation, as I've just written another chapter for the Pearl, yet I feel that I may have jumped the gun. I wrote probably something i've been wanting to write since Book one, but I held off because it was such a great thing.

Now i find myself struggling, trying to figure out "Well how do I top that?" I mean, I was so eager writing it and now I'm like "Well...now what?"

Do any of you find yourself with this problem? You write something you've really wanted to for a long while now, you do it well, and then afterwards your kinda scratching your head saying "What's next?"

If so, any suggestions on how to handle it? I'm kinda lost on what more I can do for the moment.

Terilynn   
Hey quick question for you all out there.

I find myself in a bit of a situation, as I've just written another chapter for the Pearl, yet I feel that I may have jumped the gun. I wrote probably something i've been wanting to write since Book one, but I held off because it was such a great thing.

Now i find myself struggling, trying to figure out "Well how do I top that?" I mean, I was so eager writing it and now I'm like "Well...now what?"

Do any of you find yourself with this problem? You write something you've really wanted to for a long while now, you do it well, and then afterwards your kinda scratching your head saying "What's next?"

If so, any suggestions on how to handle it? I'm kinda lost on what more I can do for the moment.

Oh God yes.

tf trust me - you are NOT alone. First off - is it a chapter that's meant to come next - or is what you really want as a climax to a tale? Steff and others gave me great advice with Retribution - and that was - write the piece you're brain is begging you to write. Then, work at it from other angles.

Or put it aside and start messing around with exercises that have NOTHING to do with the original topic. OMG that helped so much. I wrote the piece that was screaming at me (the epilogue in Retribution) then dumped it entirely and stared working on scenes from Heritage (like that BIG FAT BUNNY you gave me) or a ficlet involving Hayes, and even some really horrible stuff that will never see the light of day...but they were FUN....And it even allowed me to take that Epilogue and really go back and mold it and tweak it and edit and tweak it...at my LEISURE

So don't put yourself into a box...

More will come to...probably right before you're about to fall asleep - so keep a notepad next to your bed.

No. I'm not kidding. :)

trekfan   
Oh God yes.

tf trust me - you are NOT alone. First off - is it a chapter that's meant to come next - or is what you really want as a climax to a tale? Steff and others gave me great advice with Retribution - and that was - write the piece you're brain is begging you to write. Then, work at it from other angles.

Or put it aside and start messing around with exercises that have NOTHING to do with the original topic. OMG that helped so much. I wrote the piece that was screaming at me (the epilogue in Retribution) then dumped it entirely and stared working on scenes from Heritage (like that BIG FAT BUNNY you gave me) or a ficlet involving Hayes, and even some really horrible stuff that will never see the light of day...but they were FUN....And it even allowed me to take that Epilogue and really go back and mold it and tweak it and edit and tweak it...at my LEISURE

So don't put yourself into a box...

More will come to...probably right before you're about to fall asleep - so keep a notepad next to your bed.

No. I'm not kidding. :)

Well, it was supposed to come next in a sense...it was the next logical progression. But at the same time I really, really, really wanted to do it. The chapter could have been used down the line, and it is a bit of a climax (kinda like the battle in Book one, Ch . 19-21, but here the Climax has been achieved in just a chapter...well at least part of the Climax. Like book one I'm stretching it across maybe another chapter...)

So yeah it was next, but not a 100% lock of being next...if that makes any sense :(

At any rate I really like it, but I was on an emotional high when I wrote thing, I was in it...and now it's kinda like *flat*. The sizzle is gone and I'm grasping at air going "What have I done?!?!"

I have a couple of ideas about how to proceed. But in the overall construction of the book I kinda planned the climax ish chapter later on, but I've accelerated the process and now I may have gone too fast.

Uh...yeah. So...ideas??

SLWalker   
Well, it was supposed to come next in a sense...it was the next logical progression. But at the same time I really, really, really wanted to do it. The chapter could have been used down the line, and it is a bit of a climax (kinda like the battle in Book one, Ch . 19-21, but here the Climax has been achieved in just a chapter...well at least part of the Climax. Like book one I'm stretching it across maybe another chapter...)

So yeah it was next, but not a 100% lock of being next...if that makes any sense :(

At any rate I really like it, but I was on an emotional high when I wrote thing, I was in it...and now it's kinda like *flat*. The sizzle is gone and I'm grasping at air going "What have I done?!?!"

I have a couple of ideas about how to proceed. But in the overall construction of the book I kinda planned the climax ish chapter later on, but I've accelerated the process and now I may have gone too fast.

Uh...yeah. So...ideas??

Step back for a day or two, then read the whole thing again from the very beginning. Give yourself a little distance, and therefore objectivity, then read it from the beginning and you'll know a lot more clearly whether it fits the flow where it is, or should be later. Good luck!

Terilynn   

It makes total sense tf! Well - hold off until you're sure it's in the spot you really want to put it.

Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up!

I do understand...trying to find a better ending than a chapter you're already stoked with...might be hard...But sometimes I like a quiet ending. :)

Again - I say take a break from it set it aside. Work on other projects...Or delve into the characters' reactions to the scene you just wrote - see if it provides you with any potential insight on where to move next...

It will work itself out. It'll probably beat you over the head with itself.

EDIT - Or you know...what Steff said! ;)

SLWalker   
Right, a break. I guess I can do that.

There's a few movies I can watch.

A little perspective. That's really all you need, and a couple days away will give it.