Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

I'm having the most interesting form of artistic block that I've ever experienced. I call it "Artistic Intimidation." I have a TON of little ideas, but none are in any form that I can easily put on paper or pixels. I want to attempt my first TNG romance fic, yet have no idea how to start, and I want to draw that Portal/TNG crossover pic I have an idea for (but that one is so freakin detailed and awesome in my mind that I KNOW I'm not capable of making it look exactly like my mental image considering my current skill level.)

In an attempt to get around the blocks on those two ideas, I've tried writing a fic about the first time Data meets Spot, but I'm having trouble starting or progressing on that one as well...

trekfan   
Oooh, crosstime caper! ::cackles:: It's always tempting, isn't it?

Time travel is so COOOLLLLL

Man. Maybe I'm just hungry?

SLWalker   
I'm having the most interesting form of artistic block that I've ever experienced. I call it "Artistic Intimidation." I have a TON of little ideas, but none are in any form that I can easily put on paper or pixels. I want to attempt my first TNG romance fic, yet have no idea how to start, and I want to draw that Portal/TNG crossover pic I have an idea for (but that one is so freakin detailed and awesome in my mind that I KNOW I'm not capable of making it look exactly like my mental image considering my current skill level.)

In an attempt to get around the blocks on those two ideas, I've tried writing a fic about the first time Data meets Spot, but I'm having trouble starting or progressing on that one as well...

I know exactly what you mean. I have ideas again, art and fic, but then I'm scared to death to even start them!

trekfan   

Hmm...Data and Spot? Perhaps an animal adoption agency, or maybe a gift from someone? I mean, I don't think Spot was in TNG season one...so maybe a conversation with Geordi or JLP would spur Data into conducting an experiment that ends up becoming a permanent part of his life.

Lots of grey area.

SLWalker   

Ha! Maybe we should all break down and do a quick round robin. Each bring one or two characters from our respective storylines, throw them through some subspace anomaly to end up working together against some... strange foe, in order to get back home. Cliche? Yes. But just for fun? It's awesome; we used to do Subreality round robins all the time.

Hmm...Data and Spot? Perhaps an animal adoption agency, or maybe a gift from someone? I mean, I don't think Spot was in TNG season one...so maybe a conversation with Geordi or JLP would spur Data into conducting an experiment that ends up becoming a permanent part of his life.

Lots of grey area.

The way it's going currently: Mid third season. Guinan has a cat who just gave birth to kittens. She brings them with her to Ten Forward to try and find good homes for them and baby Spot almost instantly bonds with Data, who had just been looking at the kittens out of curiosity. Originally, I was going to have a discussion with Geordi or Picard that would lead Data to this decision, but I had NO IDEA what the hell they would say.

Cheile   

i know this is gonna sound really vague but i don't wanna spoil my whole plot ;)

i have a scene in a fic i'm working on set on a starbase. in the onset of the war that is the A-plot, the starbase is blown up (though all hands have safely escaped before the base is destroyed).

when the war is over, a new base is constructed in the same location as the old (the location is an important border spot). i wanted the admiral in charge to present the dedication plaque for the new station to the captain after having the computer change over command to her. then i wondered...do starbases have the dedication plaques like starships do? i don't recall ever seeing one on DS9 unless it was tucked in some way outta the way spot.

also if they do, where would the plaque be hung? in the operations center, i presume?

Memory Alpha just refers to starships. doesnt' say either way for bases. would it be a terrible stretch to say that bases have them too? i really like the idea of the admiral giving the plaque as a final step to the change of command and i'd hate to discard it.

thanks y'all!!

Terilynn   
i know this is gonna sound really vague but i don't wanna spoil my whole plot ;)

i have a scene in a fic i'm working on set on a starbase. in the onset of the war that is the A-plot, the starbase is blown up (though all hands have safely escaped before the base is destroyed).

when the war is over, a new base is constructed in the same location as the old (the location is an important border spot). i wanted the admiral in charge to present the dedication plaque for the new station to the captain after having the computer change over command to her. then i wondered...do starbases have the dedication plaques like starships do? i don't recall ever seeing one on DS9 unless it was tucked in some way outta the way spot.

also if they do, where would the plaque be hung? in the operations center, i presume?

Memory Alpha just refers to starships. doesnt' say either way for bases. would it be a terrible stretch to say that bases have them too? i really like the idea of the admiral giving the plaque as a final step to the change of command and i'd hate to discard it.

thanks y'all!!

I would think they must have dedication plaques - even buildings of today have them, so I say it sound like a perfectly legimitate idea.

@tf - read about your "issue" keeping characters straight. It really CAN be a problem! So much so that for Heritage, I have a word document that lists every, single character...even characters that are not seen - only spoken of. I use it as a reference. That way I don't make up the same character name twice, etc.

I also have a insanely thorough timeline...

And since my story "jumps around in time" due to the heavy use of flashblack interludes - this became incredibly important when dealing with the USS Persephone and her crew...I have two lists for all of my ships's crews - who was killed in a certain battle, etc - (a'la Commander Nesedra who was alive at certain point in time) so I wouldn't accidentally recast the spot when she should have been on the bridge.

Seriously - my own appendix - strangely Tolkien...but for me...it works.

trekfan   
@tf - read about your "issue" keeping characters straight. It really CAN be a problem! So much so that for Heritage, I have a word document that lists every, single character...even characters that are not seen - only spoken of. I use it as a reference. That way I don't make up the same character name twice, etc.

I also have a insanely thorough timeline...

And since my story "jumps around in time" due to the heavy use of flashblack interludes - this became incredibly important when dealing with the USS Persephone and her crew...I have two lists for all of my ships's crews - who was killed in a certain battle, etc - (a'la Commander Nesedra who was alive at certain point in time) so I wouldn't accidentally recast the spot when she should have been on the bridge.

Seriously - my own appendix - strangely Tolkien...but for me...it works.

That might work. Much obliged.

SLWalker   

I imagine it could, sure.

Benedict   

Makes sense that starbases have plaques. I like the idea of a plaque being handed over. In Star Trek: Raven I cheekily borrow what Shatner has Kirk do at the end of Ashes of Eden, taking the Enterprise-A's plaque before it's destroyed.

Benedict   

Ditto.

On a fanfic related note, I have a TNG story ongoing set in the future which is going to get tricky with timelines but should be fine. I hope to do my first Enterprise story centred around Reed and in the 'fifth season' that never was. As well as two projects which might get eyebrows waggling.

If I don't write anything, then it's a sad world. :)

Terilynn   
Ditto.

:) same here cheile!

On a fanfic related note, I have a TNG story ongoing set in the future which is going to get tricky with timelines but should be fine.

Yay for tricky timelines...always fun to write and read.

I hope to do my first Enterprise story centred around Reed and in the 'fifth season' that never was.

I <3 Reed. :)

As well as two projects which might get eyebrows waggling.

Rubs hands together in in anticipation.... PM me the stuff if you can't post it due to its eyebrown wiggling nature. :angel_not:

If I don't write anything, then it's a sad world. :)

I know exactly how you feel. :)

Benedict   
:) same here cheile!

Yay for tricky timelines...always fun to write and read.

I <3 Reed. :)

Rubs hands together in in anticipation.... PM me the stuff if you can't post it due to its eyebrown wiggling nature. :angel_not:

I know exactly how you feel. :)

I will indeed PM the stuff that I can't post if I can't post it...got lost in that line briefly. :) When I say eyebrown wiggling, I don't think it'll be of a true waggling nature...though it's interesting.

Anyway...we'll see :)

Just gathering more intel :P is there any mention in canon, or the official novels of when the first Andorian joined Starfleet?

trekfan   
Just gathering more intel :P is there any mention in canon, or the official novels of when the first Andorian joined Starfleet?

To my knowledge, no. I do believe that if ENT went on to a 5th season Shran was going to join the crew, but I doubt they would have given him a Starfleet commission.

However, I believe once the various militarizes of the Federation did combine into Starfleet those officers would have been given Starfleet commissions.

But as to the first Andorian to ever graduate from the academy and enter Starfleet from there, canon does not address that. So you have a free reign.

SLWalker   
To my knowledge, no. I do believe that if ENT went on to a 5th season Shran was going to join the crew, but I doubt they would have given him a Starfleet commission.

However, I believe once the various militarizes of the Federation did combine into Starfleet those officers would have been given Starfleet commissions.

But as to the first Andorian to ever graduate from the academy and enter Starfleet from there, canon does not address that. So you have a free reign.

::nodnods:: Yes. There were Andorians in Starfleet by TAS, but anytime before that and after Enterprise is open territory. Run with it, and have fun!

Sorry to bother you al agian, but I've decided to write a short family drama set on Romulus in the 26th century, (based on some plotlines from a failed RPG site attempt) but there is very little in the way of details. Is there any other detailed sites apart from the one Ael showed me: http://pfrpg.org/RH/ ? Particualry about post Nemesis?

trekfan   
Sorry to bother you al agian, but I've decided to write a short family drama set on Romulus in the 26th century, (based on some plotlines from a failed RPG site attempt) but there is very little in the way of details. Is there any other detailed sites apart from the one Ael showed me: http://pfrpg.org/RH/ ? Particualry about post Nemesis?

In canon, no. Post Nemesis Trek is a very wide open area. You can sculpt Romulus any way you want it, but for specific details on the people as a culture, Ael is the authority on that. However, as far as Romulus and their relations with the rest of the major powers, that's open to interpretation.