Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

827 posts in this topic

CA - I think, if it's well-written, you can get away with anything. So long as you're not bending universal rules to follow your whims, and maintain the necessary realism, you're fine.

I think you can do homage and play with it a little... the whole point of homage is often that you bring something original to the familiar, however slight it may seem.

For example, DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations is a fantastic example, we saw a TOS episode with a lot of the same material but from a slightly different perspective and with some new stuff. Also Our Man Bashir is a pretty good Bond/Spy movie homage, it had the cliches but also took a different angle (if you like the Bond movies, I think you'd like this one too)

TNG The Naked Now is another example (even if it is intended as more a sequel) and there must be quite a few on Enterprise, the episode featuring a Klingon Courtroom and the mines on Rura Penthe is one that springs to mind, although that may be considered a BAD example of how to do it.

Can't think of too many episodes, but they are there in existing series.

Even strong homage, as long as there is something new within it, is perfectly fine. I have no doubts based on your previous stuff that it will be well done.

Thanks to both DaxFan and SLWatson there: some good points! I guess my homage isn't as blatant as, say, "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) or "Judgement" (ENT), but I was more worried that people would think I was describing a certain thing rather than something new. Oh well... I guess I'll present it as-is and see what happens!

What exactly are you paying homage too? A previous episode or character?

I'm confused :(

Sorry, mate: I'd love to be able to tell you, but it's classified (ie: a spoiler)! :blush:

*Put her fingers in her ears*

I can't hear you.

j/k

Homage away CA! I love a good tip o'the hat!

Indeed... don't be afraid to write in a cheeky wink to the audience in your homage either, even in the middle of quite dark material (such as that from DIS season 2).

Thanks to both DaxFan and SLWatson there: some good points! I guess my homage isn't as blatant as, say, "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) or "Judgement" (ENT), but I was more worried that people would think I was describing a certain thing rather than something new. Oh well... I guess I'll present it as-is and see what happens!

Sorry, mate: I'd love to be able to tell you, but it's classified (ie: a spoiler)! :blush:

Well, in that case, go for it. I'll be surprised :)

We want new episodes!

that is all.

Indeed... don't be afraid to write in a cheeky wink to the audience in your homage either, even in the middle of quite dark material (such as that from DIS season 2).

I shan't, thanks! And thanks to Terilynn's voice of support there too!

This isn't so much darker stuff as foreboding stuff (I want Season Three to have some lighter moments in between the usual tone, an antidote to Season Two's absolute soul-crushing darkness). It's the episode's epilogue we're talking about, so perhaps even if it is slightly confusing, it'll be brief nevertheless!

I think I've decided to keep it in. The message from you all seems to be homage = good, so...! :thumbup:

I've got two problems. One is I appear to be stuck in ALL THREE stories I'm writing (Star Trek: Succession, Basics of Humanity, and a completely original novel that I hope to get published one day). I've got massive writer's block. I can't seem to get myself motivated to continue writing even though I have so many ideas.

The other is that, as many friends and family have pointed out to me, K-Star isn't a very good name for a character. It sounds more like a screenname (because in many instances it IS) and it prevents people from giving feedback on the character since everyone automatically assumes that we are the same person when we're not. I want to start calling K-Star by her real name, Katina, in Star Trek: Succession. But I've already gone like three or so chapters calling her K-Star. I have an idea on how to switch it, and it could be implemented when they find her uncle (which will be soon), but I don't know if that's going to confuse people or not.

K- I think Katina is a great name. Switching mid-stream...if' it's easy I say go for it...other than that, if you can't edit it back then just go forward with the new name. I think we'll get the idea! But I totally prefer Katina!

I had the WORST case of block the past couple of months and got some great advice. Put down the scenes you're working on and either - 1) work on something completely new or 2) work on the same project but from a different angle.

In my case I stopped writing the scene in the book I was having trouble with and since I already knew how I wanted it to end, I started to write the ending....It's helped A LOT!

Good luck!

Is it possible for their to be a Reman offshoot in the post Nemesis Star trek universe.

Is it possible for their to be a Reman offshoot in the post Nemesis Star trek universe.

Why not? Come up with a plausible story, and anything's possible! :-D

I agree with SLW! That's the beauty of having such a lack of canon material with regard to Remans... :) Now we can make stuff up. As long as it's not too crazy - it can be totally believable!

I'm gonna PM you.....

So, what are some of the ways you all deal with writer's block? What happens when you do have ideas, but your self-confidence in your writing has kinda tanked?

I don't know for others, but I don't really care for negative critics. I know very well that I'm far from being best, and I know that there's always someone who will not like it, and maybe make some hostile comments.

If there's at least one person who will like it, it worth existing, for the rest of people, never mind ;)

^Agreed. Its just how I am and the main reason why I share nothing. I only shared the one here, because so many people asked me to.

As for writers block, I usually work on another story, but if I cant even do that, I just take a break and do something else completely. I might listen to music, chat with someone, even watch a little TV. (Usually on food network, and that gets other creative juices flowing, since I am more of a chef then anything).

Oh! As a looooot of people know, I've had a horrible case of block over the past few months, epecially when it came to "Retribution." Part of it was because of the subject matter. I was having a hard time doing the research about torture and holocaust survivors. Add to that a really rough time in RL -and you get..."I really can't deal with this right now."

I tend to write in linear order. I have an outline and and plot-line and most of my scenes are lined up in my head by the time I start writing a project.

I just couldn't get rolling on anything...but then it started to affect my other stuff - Heritage and the short works. It was great advice I got from a whole mess of people from here and over at TU - "try writing other scenes than the one you're currently stuck on."

I wasn't sure about it...but I tried. I sat down and wrote the epiloogue for Retribution. I'm still tweaking it...but I'm really, really happy with it. From there I wrote the scene that occurs right before it, then before that...and who would have guessed it!? I was writing again....only backwards... ;)

Writer's block kills my writing (I'm not quite eloquent right now), it's one thing I blame for Raven sagging early on. What I do is have various stuff on the go, that way if block happens on one you might be able to go on with another. Right now, I'm limited to one James Bond and two Raven's. I can't even edit my novel because it daunts me.

I've rambled. My apologies.

I've rambled. My apologies.

It's not rambling if someone asks for your opinion. :thumbsup2:

It's not rambling if someone asks for your opinion. :thumbsup2:

Agreed. Many people have such different ways of attacking the same problem. I'm always grateful to hear what others do in similar situations!

Actually, just a quick question for those with multiple projects. I find myself typing for characters that belong to an entirely different project, and although it's funny, my mind is beginning to fool me once or twice.

Any suggestions for keeping names and people where they belong?

Or is it just that my mind does as it will, and I basically have to roll with the punches?

Multitasking has never been my strong suit :(

Actually, just a quick question for those with multiple projects. I find myself typing for characters that belong to an entirely different project, and although it's funny, my mind is beginning to fool me once or twice.

Any suggestions for keeping names and people where they belong?

Or is it just that my mind does as it will, and I basically have to roll with the punches?

Multitasking has never been my strong suit :(

Maybe firmly afix in your mind which set you're working on before you start up again?

Maybe firmly afix in your mind which set you're working on before you start up again?

maybe it's my subconscious screaming "CROSSOVER"

^.^ I am a sick mind.

maybe it's my subconscious screaming "CROSSOVER"

^.^ I am a sick mind.

LOL! Who are you mixing up?

LOL! Who are you mixing up?

The crew of the Pearl and the Endeavour. I've actually written a few scenes for my helmsman for the Pearl on the Endeavour. I keep getting my first officers confused too.

The crew of the Pearl and the Endeavour. I've actually written a few scenes for my helmsman for the Pearl on the Endeavour. I keep getting my first officers confused too.

Oooh, crosstime caper! ::cackles:: It's always tempting, isn't it?