Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

827 posts in this topic

Thanks for responding! I actually bounced ideas back and forth the other morning and wrote a ton yesterday on something that I hope works. I currently have about 50k written between 2 files so far. :thumbup:

I like the idea that I have now and I really hope it works the way I want it to.

None of the torture is going to be gory or anything, but not exactly the kind you could keep your mind through for much of, either.

As for the other Q I had, basically one instance they will be messing with the gravity in her cell and it will make her feel heavy and make it hard for her to breathe. Was just wanting to make sure I knew what could cause that.

Atmosphere would affect your "weight" per se, in terms of its' density (which varies based on composition). A person would weigh less in a denser atmosphere where "weight" is a measure of how much you push down on a scale - different from "mass" which is a measure of the amount of matter you contain (which wouldn't change). What makes your weight less in a heavy atmosphere is the buoyancy effect - your volume is occupying space that could have been taken by the heavy air. Note, if you weigh less than the displaced air (pretty unlikely in a gaseous atmosphere, but you would do in water) you will float!

So basically, your "weight" - or how heavy you'd feel, will increase in a less dense atmosphere, so if there's a lot of Hydrogen in your atmosphere (can't really get less dense than that naturally!) you're gonna weight a hell of a lot!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2:

What he said.

Hey - I don't weigh more at sea level....do I!!!???

As for the other Q I had, basically one instance they will be messing with the gravity in her cell and it will make her feel heavy and make it hard for her to breathe. Was just wanting to make sure I knew what could cause that.

I think you could easily make that happen....

Yes its me again!

Been dabbling here and there, just writing down little bits and pieces of scenes as I get ideas and what not. But anyways! I agree with what TF said yesterday, that this one would be time for some good character development with Bochra (and I already have character sheets if anyone would like to see them!) and heres where I wanted the help. What else is new? ;)

What scenes, those of you that read this, would you be interested in seeing? So far I have 2 that I have started writing out. One of them he is alone in quarters, shortly after Ael is taken and is doing stuff like pacing around, talking to himself and showing lots of real emotion. The second one is with him really getting into it with Tomalak about everything that is happening and him refusing to give up on her or let her go, no matter what it could cost him.

So tellme, dear readers (and even those that dont but want to help anyways..lol) What would you be interested in maybe catching a glimpse of with him? Got another idea in mind, but not all to sure where to fit it just yet.

I vote for option #2!!! I think a great confrontation scene with Tomalak might be more interesting than him being all emo- BUT if the solo scene carries a lot of weight it might not be bad. But as a reader I say go for the conflict!

I was going to have both. Really cant just have the one scene with him and thats it. That would be a lot left on just Ael and her misery. Was also wondering about scene ideas, like what others might also like to see that I didnt mention. But if you think only the one scene will work, I could just try that and make it longer. :biggrin:

I was going to have both. Really cant just have the one scene with him and thats it. That would be a lot left on just Ael and her misery. Was also wondering about scene ideas, like what others might also like to see that I didnt mention. But if you think only the one scene will work, I could just try that and make it longer. :biggrin:

Oh no, do BOTH. I would love them both to death.

As for other scene ideas, here's a few I got.

1. Bochra explaining to his fam (parents?) about him taking a human as his mate (interesting convo to be sure)

2. Bochra chilling (or trying too) with one of his buds. maybe a childhood friend

3. Bochra trying to talk the general guy into getting Ael released.

^stuff along those lines. Would be real fun.

Wow...the forum in general has been dead lately...

Anyway, I am needing some assitance. I tried doing some research, but I guess I am not going about it right. I am going to be rewritting my large story again (3rd times the charm!) and even though I am going to likely be the only one to ever see it, I still want to make some bits better.

Ok, my character is on a small ship with her brother who serves on it and of course, wants to find Romulans and get over there...blah blah ;) (I wrote this one waaaaaaaay before my last one, so if they sound the same, oops!) I was having her use a device that could send coded messages without being detected. She sent them in Khzad (Romulan font) and had it encrypted to where it wouldnt look suspicious to a routine scan from the vessel she was on. Not unless someone went bit by bit and picked every scan apart for fun =P But anyways, how could she do this?

I originally had it down that she was using e band emissions (remembered that from an ep) but I went back later and I dont think thats right. So, yeah. Any help would be great! I am not the technobabbly type!

Yeah, Im impatient the last couple days lol Anyone have an idea? Im still lookin too! I guess I am lousy at research these days...lol

Yo Ael.

You had it right, e band transmissions can be used to send messages covertly and with little chance for detection.

In the ep it was used it, the person using it had to be close to the receiver though, however it isn't stated anywhere how far e band transmissions can go, so your basis for using it as you do is plausible.

Hope that helps :)

As for the source, Memory alpha is it. Just type in e band in the search engine, and it's the first result on the page.

Yay for brain lapse...lol I didnt even check MA and thats the first place I usually run to! lol Thanks for confirming that I had it right though =) Will go read up on it tomorrow. *is tireds*

Yay for assitance thread - comes to the rescue once again!

Say it again!

....Oh, you did :thumbsup2:

Okay... time for me to make use of my creation, I fear...

Recurring Characters in a Series: Yes, or No?

As many of you know, I've been slaving away over Star Trek: Discovery Season Two for a while now. I've desperately wanted to have covered more ground by now, but circumstances have not been helpful of late. Anyway, in my mad dash to get something completed in order to post, I've written an entire episode today and suddenly found myself at Season Two, Episode x06: "Return". The original basic idea I had for the storyline wasn't working out earlier, so I scrapped it.

My new idea involves not one, but two recurring characters. They were featured rather heavily in the Season One two-parter, "Face Value" (DIS), and if this new episode works out, they could become major recurring characters throughout the entire five-season run of Discovery. I'm anxious, however, to know a few things... kind of a Q&A of fan fiction readers. If you wouldn't mind answering truthfully, it'd be a massive help!

1: Do you like recurring characters in a show/series?

2: Would you want in-depth recaps of who/what these characters are, or could you remember from a mere name?

3: Are they as important as the main characters with regards to the episodes they appear in?

I've fleshed out a prologue to "Return" (DIS) already, involving Rear Admiral Quarren and Station Master Mendoza recognising one of the recurring characters. It would be easy, however, to delete and rewrite should the answers be against recurring characters. Please don't just answer thinking I want them included: I'm in literally a 50/50 two-minded split, so just be honest and I'll take it from there. Also, to those who possibly know who these two characters from "Face Value" (DIS) are, would you mind not mentioning names? Just in case... cheers!

Much appreciated in advance, and sorry to bother you all.

Glenn.

Okay... time for me to make use of my creation, I fear...

Recurring Characters in a Series: Yes, or No?

As many of you know, I've been slaving away over Star Trek: Discovery Season Two for a while now. I've desperately wanted to have covered more ground by now, but circumstances have not been helpful of late. Anyway, in my mad dash to get something completed in order to post, I've written an entire episode today and suddenly found myself at Season Two, Episode x06: "Return". The original basic idea I had for the storyline wasn't working out earlier, so I scrapped it.

My new idea involves not one, but two recurring characters. They were featured rather heavily in the Season One two-parter, "Face Value" (DIS), and if this new episode works out, they could become major recurring characters throughout the entire five-season run of Discovery. I'm anxious, however, to know a few things... kind of a Q&A of fan fiction readers. If you wouldn't mind answering truthfully, it'd be a massive help!

1: Do you like recurring characters in a show/series?

2: Would you want in-depth recaps of who/what these characters are, or could you remember from a mere name?

3: Are they as important as the main characters with regards to the episodes they appear in?

I've fleshed out a prologue to "Return" (DIS) already, involving Rear Admiral Quarren and Station Master Mendoza recognising one of the recurring characters. It would be easy, however, to delete and rewrite should the answers be against recurring characters. Please don't just answer thinking I want them included: I'm in literally a 50/50 two-minded split, so just be honest and I'll take it from there. Also, to those who possibly know who these two characters from "Face Value" (DIS) are, would you mind not mentioning names? Just in case... cheers!

Much appreciated in advance, and sorry to bother you all.

Glenn.

1. Yes, for sure

2. Recapps for the first few times they recurr wouldn't hurt. Maybe a brief briefing.

3. Depends on the plot of the episodes. If they're heavily featured, than yeah. If there just there for a few scenes, not so much.

Thanks trekfan (and hey, long time no see)! Yeah, your answer to #3 makes particular sense, and seems quite obvious now in retrospect... cheers for answering!

I don't mind recurring characters at all, so long as they don't become a gimmick or a crutch. I mean, if there's a genuine place for them, that's absolutely wonderful; if they're just there for the 'ratings' (think Scotty in Relics) then it's not only pointless, but damaging.

I think you'll be just fine with the recurring characters you've got. So, go for it. And as long as you treat them like fully realized beings, then it doesn't matter how much or little spotlight they get. They'll still be great.

Recurring characters are great I think! There are several in ST and other shows, that I would have loved to have seen back every now and then.

Recaps can be good if they only appeared for a small bit, because sometimes I forget small characters, but sometimes not. Oh boy. that made no sense lol But IMHO a recap =good!

They can be!

Thanks guys... yeah, I was thinking about it more last night and managed to put together a Captain's Log entry that conveyed who one of the recurring characters was okay. I think I was just a little worried that readers wouldn't follow a few recurring characters over the season break, but I owe you guys a little more credit, I reckon!

*Stumbles into thread*

I like recurring characters - if handled like the others said - as long as they're not overused. A good recurring character is like Q - where you're excited to see him/her again purely beucase you know they're going to liven things up a little....

A well-written nemesis can be this way - someone who comes in every-so-often just to remind the viewer/reader that things aren't really as calm as they might appear to be on all other levels.

*Stumbles into thread*

I like recurring characters - if handled like the others said - as long as they're not overused. A good recurring character is like Q - where you're excited to see him/her again purely beucase you know they're going to liven things up a little....

A well-written nemesis can be this way - someone who comes in every-so-often just to remind the viewer/reader that things aren't really as calm as they might appear to be on all other levels.

In that respect, as you say with Q, do you think humour helps? Thinking about Shran, too, makes me wonder if recurring characters have to be funny.

Oh, and awesome to see you again, Terilynn! :thumbup:

In some respects humor helps - but I don't think it's necessary at all. Like I said, a recurring "bad guy" without humor could also be very intriguing.

BTW - thanks. I'm glad to be back home now....

Okay, I have a new question. I'm glad I got this topic pinned! :biggrin:

Basically, how far should one take the concept of homage in a fan fiction? Where's the line that crosses "homage" over into "unoriginal copying"? Y'see, I've just finished Season Three, Episode #2 of Star Trek: Discovery and included a very strong homage. Thinking about it, though, I'm wondering if readers might actually A: think I'm referring to what the homage honours rather than my original idea or B: just think I'm lazy and copying old stuff.

What do you all look for in an homage? Do you want hints only, or something clearer?

Much thanks!

Okay, I have a new question. I'm glad I got this topic pinned! :biggrin:

Basically, how far should one take the concept of homage in a fan fiction? Where's the line that crosses "homage" over into "unoriginal copying"? Y'see, I've just finished Season Three, Episode #2 of Star Trek: Discovery and included a very strong homage. Thinking about it, though, I'm wondering if readers might actually A: think I'm referring to what the homage honours rather than my original idea or B: just think I'm lazy and copying old stuff.

What do you all look for in an homage? Do you want hints only, or something clearer?

Much thanks!

What exactly are you paying homage too? A previous episode or character?

I'm confused :(