Glenn

The Fan Trek Mutual Assistance Helpline

827 posts in this topic

Ael - the problem here is the Romulan character to begin with. As they appear everywhere else there's no way they would ever trust her. She would have to survive for quite awhile enduring interrogations and whatnot. Even Sela who was born half Romulan had to turn in her own mother to prove her loyalty.

You know what they would do? They'd ask Ael to Kill Bochra. Now - how could she get out of that? Yikes!

I guarentee you, she would kill herself ebfore ever harming Bochra. She is loyal to those she loves and trusts; always.

Anyways, I know. Dont forget, Im not going for 100% believability in some cases.In my first story, Tomalak would have shoved her right in the brig, interrogated her himself and likely either tortured her till she died, or killed her outright. But that would make for a pretty boring series to have her die =P

In this one, she is already going to be taken and interrogated/tortured, but I dont want the entire story to be on that, and Im not sure i want to get so plot twisty that I get frustrated. (its what happened with the last one to a degree, hence why chapters 11 and 12 seemed rushed. ) BY that time i had stopped caring and wanted to finish it fast!

But I do like the fact of things taking a while, to a degree and I would wager a good month or two at least for her to have to endure things....but I also would have trouble filing that much time without just seeing constant torture and what not. Anyone want to o back and forth on a scene or two with me? Sounds like I might need a co pilot for this next story =P

Well - then I say do something over the top and romantic! Have Bochra get a group of his buddies and have him bust her out!

Promise not to kill me? *prepares to duck* I want it to be believeable to a degree, but I am lost how I would do a few months worth of interrogation in the one story, you know?

Bochra taking a group of friends to help get her out would result in the death of everyone involved.

Im not sure how I am going to do this thats going to make it want to be read. Im already frudtrated with the thing! =P

I dont mind going way into depth per se, but I would need a lot of help! hehe

Promise not to kill me? *prepares to duck* I want it to be believeable to a degree, but I am lost how I would do a few months worth of interrogation in the one story, you know?

Bochra taking a group of friends to help get her out would result in the death of everyone involved.

Im not sure how I am going to do this thats going to make it want to be read. Im already frudtrated with the thing! =P

I dont mind going way into depth per se, but I would need a lot of help! hehe

I would never get angry - this is an open forum for the free sharing of ideas! I take no offense Ael! Lemme think on it!

Thanks, Terr. Im still thinking on it too! Anyone else care to give ideas?

So, absolutely no one can offer any ideas? Im even going to friends off site and even my husband for help and advice. Ive even thought about it till I thought my head might explode =P

My husband had an idea I was toying with already, but it would easily fall into the realm of; 'that wouldnt happen' for some people. I dont want to lose readers because something may not be very believeable for a scene or two. I want to know what people want to see and what they think might be good ideas given this issue.

I know she would probably be tortured for months and interrogated for the same (they would likely force Bochra to do it too), but how in the world would I show that and not have it focused on her misery or being tortured for every single scene that involves her? My husband couldnt help me there. =P But if I go the way I was toying with, she would NOT be tortured or interrogated anymore at all after the first time, but still would be very closely watched. I can try and explain further if you want.

Before I continue on, is anyone even still interested in the whole series? I know I had 2 people for sure at one stage and am curious to know if that changed. Or if not, what would make you want to read it? (I know its not everyones thing).

Very slepy, so ignore any weird typos that may be floating around.

If you have to write torture, the only real way to do it without diving too deep is to write it from an outside POV, like I did with David McCoy in Merciless. That allows you to skim a lot and be more detached from the brutal violence, but still get the point across.

*nods* I understand what you're saying.

Anyone else have any thoughts on anything else I mentioned?

Nope - not really ael - but I if you've got an idea that limits the torture - that's probably a good thing. Reading too much can be a deall downer for me...So if you have a plot device that can get her out of it...I say use it! xxoo!~

Its ok. Bounced some stuff around this morning while playing an MMO with a friend and it was all very helpful.

OK All - I've looked on MA etc - can't find any canon reference material...But - can Ktarians cry?

If you cant find it on MA, its going to be hard to find at all (just my experiance YMMV)

Have we ever even seen into that race enough to be able to know for usre? I dont think we have (of course, I could be wrong!) I would say its up to you in this case.

I just know there was a Ktarian hybrid on Voyager - since I never really watched it, I wasn't sure if there was any mention about tear ducts, etc. about that species (like I know there's been in others)

I just know there was a Ktarian hybrid on Voyager - since I never really watched it, I wasn't sure if there was any mention about tear ducts, etc. about that species (like I know there's been in others)

I imagine that they do. Despite the one-off line in ST:IV, which I thought was kind of ill-thought-out, most humanoid beings (if not all) with eyes in a gaseous atmosphere would need tear ducts, unless by chance they had some other moisturizing and/or protective coating ability.

I imagine that they do. Despite the one-off line in ST:IV, which I thought was kind of ill-thought-out, most humanoid beings (if not all) with eyes in a gaseous atmosphere would need tear ducts, unless by chance they had some other moisturizing and/or protective coating ability.

See - this thread = good idea.

I wrote the quick sentence last night and thought....Hmmmm - it would be my luck to write that a Ktarian shed a tear and then have the wrath of the faithful come down upon me.....

See - this thread = good idea.

I wrote the quick sentence last night and thought....Hmmmm - it would be my luck to write that a Ktarian shed a tear and then have the wrath of the faithful come down upon me.....

::laughs:: If they do, pull the common sense card.

Even if they couldnt, I dont think anyone would come down on you for writing it. Sometimes people are way way to hardcore about everything having to be perfectly canon at all times. That can really limit a writer. I like being able to be a littleopen with things to a degree, as it can make stuff that much more interesting, ya know?

Yeah - but I really do try to follow canon where I can.... :) It's half the fun for me - researching!

Yeah - but I really do try to follow canon where I can.... :) It's half the fun for me - researching!

Tell me about it. Research = love.

*nods* I agree to a point I suppose =) The fun for me sometimes is being able to have a little free reign. If I didnt do that with my first story...my main girl would already be dead. That would have made for a very short story! heh

Question; What kind of atmosphereic change would cause someone to feel heavy? Google isnt helping, but then again, I am likely searching it out wrong. *is tired*

Physically heavy? From the feet down? Or letharically heavy - like from too much humidity and not enough oygen...? If it's physically heavy - I'm not sure what would have to change in the atmosphere - but the gravity of the surface would have to change...If it's on a ship - then the articifical gravity can be altered witthin the deckplates (see ENT MU episodes)..

But in the atmosphere itself? Maybe a chemical that makes someone so weak that they feel heavy/can't move very well...

Atmosphere would affect your "weight" per se, in terms of its' density (which varies based on composition). A person would weigh less in a denser atmosphere where "weight" is a measure of how much you push down on a scale - different from "mass" which is a measure of the amount of matter you contain (which wouldn't change). What makes your weight less in a heavy atmosphere is the buoyancy effect - your volume is occupying space that could have been taken by the heavy air. Note, if you weigh less than the displaced air (pretty unlikely in a gaseous atmosphere, but you would do in water) you will float!

So basically, your "weight" - or how heavy you'd feel, will increase in a less dense atmosphere, so if there's a lot of Hydrogen in your atmosphere (can't really get less dense than that naturally!) you're gonna weight a hell of a lot!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2:

*nods* I understand what you're saying.

Anyone else have any thoughts on anything else I mentioned?

Whew, sorry, I completly lost track of this thread, thusly i'm a few days behind.

So, after reading everything you said (I think i read all of it), here's what i got.

As for filling the months between her capture and release, it doesn't necessarily have to be all about her. In fact, this would be a great time for character dev. on Bochra. Furthermore, if you wanna spare the reader the gory details (literally in this case) than perhaps have it told in flashback form to either a) another cellmate or b) an imaginary cellmate. I imagine it would be very straining and stressful being stuck in solitary confinement for so long...I'm not entirely sure a person would be able to keep themselves sane. It may be more beneficial to have her withdraw into herself in order to protect her mind/emotional state.

Or maybe she fakes crazy to get out sooner.

Now, on how to get her out (not sure if you have an idea or not) I figure Bochra would have something to do with it, so perhaps you should have him try and get in touch with that General guy (the one who got POed at Tomalak for 'inappropriate actions'). Perhaps together those two could work her out through the system and maybe even have Bochra convince him to take her in as one of his students.

My thoughts, hope it was helpful.