Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

The Measure Of A Man

( "Thank you, Amazon.com Christmas gift cards!" )

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

Today, my copy of TNG S2 in blu ray has finally arrived!!  I can't wait to dig in to the extended cut of "Measure of a Man" tonight.  I'm thinking of watching it with the 7.1 audio first and then a rewatch later in the week with the Snodgrass audio commentary.  This episode is one of my all-time TNG favorites, but unlike most I view this more as a Picard episode than a Data episode.   Although Data is the story's focal point, it's Picard classically-awesome defense of his right to exist and to retain his unique status that not only defines the episode, but reaffirms what Star Trek is all about. 

themeasureofaman_hd_349.jpg

And...I'm really looking forward to seeing it in shiny, sparkly HD too... :P

It feels like a completely different episode and a detailed movie, almost. Have fun with lots of Jean-Luc in HD! ;) 

I just (finally!) saw it... wow.

It feels very different; even the little single lines here and there that were added changed the mood of scenes.  So many bits I wish they'd left in... it could've been advertised (during its original broadcast days) as a special-length TNG episode, or some such thing.   

But yeah... wow!  I love this version of the episode even more than I did the original.  

Told ya! Heh. And I'm glad you enjoyed it - I always do so as well, it's wonderfully written and this version (IMO) really brings out what they were tying to say.

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

Today, my copy of TNG S2 in blu ray has finally arrived!!  I can't wait to dig in to the extended cut of "Measure of a Man" tonight.  I'm thinking of watching it with the 7.1 audio first and then a rewatch later in the week with the Snodgrass audio commentary.  This episode is one of my all-time TNG favorites, but unlike most I view this more as a Picard episode than a Data episode.   Although Data is the story's focal point, it's Picard classically-awesome defense of his right to exist and to retain his unique status that not only defines the episode, but reaffirms what Star Trek is all about. 

It feels like a completely different episode and a detailed movie, almost. Have fun with lots of Jean-Luc in HD! ;) 

It feels very different; even the little single lines here and there that were added changed the mood of scenes.  So many bits I wish they'd left in... it could've been advertised (during its original broadcast days) as a special-length TNG episode, or some such thing.   

But yeah... wow!  I love this version of the episode even more than I did the original.  

Told ya! Heh. And I'm glad you enjoyed it - I always do so as well, it's wonderfully written and this version (IMO) really brings out what they were tying to say.

You were right.  

This is easily one of my top 5 episodes of TNG.

PICARD: What is he?
MADDOX: A machine!
PICARD: Is he? Are you sure?
MADDOX: Yes!
PICARD: You see, he's met two of your three criteria for sentience, so what if he meets the third. Consciousness in even the smallest degree. What is he then? I don't know. Do you? (to Riker) Do you? (to Phillipa) Do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

You were right.  

This is easily one of my top 5 episodes of TNG.

I no longer even watch the shortened version, the original one is even better and more detailed.

Oh and I hope you enjoyed the swordplay scene! I forgot to ask if you liked it. Heh. WHY DID THEY CUT IT. (I know, I know, it was most likely too blatantly gay.)

IMG_3697.thumb.JPG.5dee3aa3ac31a4e7e619f

^

This is why I need your audio commentary...:giggle:

For real tho - that scene is so blatantly gay even without my audio commentary! I mean you have Jean-Luc in his rather tight white-and-glitter fencing outfit poking some other dude and then Riker walks in and stares at his captain's behind for a few seconds and then Jean-Luc fabulously whirls around and spreads glitter and is like NUMBER ONE I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE INTERESTED IN SWORDPLAY. 

How much more obvious can things be? :laugh:

^

For real tho - that scene is so blatantly gay even without my audio commentary! I mean you have Jean-Luc in his rather tight white-and-glitter fencing outfit poking some other dude and then Riker walks in and stares at his captain's behind for a few seconds and then Jean-Luc fabulously whirls around and spreads glitter and is like NUMBER ONE I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE INTERESTED IN SWORDPLAY. 

:giggle:

Now I'm imagining a sequel to "11001001" where Picard takes Riker are still alone on the ship after the Bynar crisis, and he takes Riker back to the holodeck to show him that 'exotic bar' on Tau Ceti 3. :P

^

Now I'm imagining a sequel to "11001001" where Picard takes Riker are still alone on the ship after the Bynar crisis, and he takes Riker back to the holodeck to show him that 'exotic bar' on Tau Ceti 3. :P

OMG don't make me write this. :laugh:

"I never imagined you to be the type who frequents bars like this, Captain."

"There are a LOT of things you don't know about me, Number One."

tumblr_mnpzzfzpa31s67vyfo6_250.gif

^

boobytrap068.jpg :P

^

What's funny is that (I think) he's actually REALLY looking at Jean-Luc in that screencap. :laugh: 

^

What's funny is that (I think) he's actually REALLY looking at Jean-Luc in that screencap. :laugh: 

I think he was; if my memory serves, it looks like it was from "Booby Trap" when Picard returns jubilant from his visit to the ancient Promellian battlecruiser.  

Fit too well NOT to use it... :giggle:

Sign in to follow this