Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

The Measure Of A Man

Name: "The Measure Of A Man"

Season: 2

Director: Robert Scheerer

This would totally be one of my favorite episodes if it weren't for Phillipa Louvois. :glare: :glare: :glare:

Anyway... I really hate Maddox and his attitude (which is precisely what one is supposed to do, I guess *lol*)... and I love Data's farewell party. I also love Jean-Luc's speech. And the scene with Guinan in Ten Forward is also wonderful. It's really a great episode... and this is coming from someone who's not really a big Data fan. ;) But I'd definitely say that this is TNG at its finest. ^_^

I really like this episode, and the way Riker hated being "devil's advocate". Data's response to that really made me go aawww! I really liked how Maddox realized the error of his ways too, and the way Data allowed him to save face by leaving the door open to participating later, when Maddox knew more.

I really like this episode, and the way Riker hated being "devil's advocate". Data's response to that really made me go aawww! I really liked how Maddox realized the error of his ways too, and the way Data allowed him to save face by leaving the door open to participating later, when Maddox knew more.

Yup, they stayed in contact... as seen in "Data's Day" when Data records a letter for Maddox... and I also like the moment in which Maddox realizes that Data is not an "it". ;)

I really adore the final scene when Riker's all "I have no right to celebrate with you" and Data basically tells him that it's all nonsense. One of my favorite Riker/Data moments. :biggrin:

This is my all-time favorite episode. It's quintessential, pure Trek. I can think of no other way to describe it other than that - and you can't get better than that.

Yeah, it's certainly my favorite episode of the second season. Riker and Data are great together in this one.

Suprisingly, I actually like Riker in this episode *take a snapshot, it doesn't happen very often*. This was a great episode.

The best episode of Season 2 in my book and it makes is question the people we discriminate and Data is a great trek example.

I'm also adding this to my list of favorite Season 2 TNG eps. It's probably one of the best Data-centric episodes on TNG, imo. This is where Star Trek brings out the best of its philosophical side; the argument that Picard made about Data fitting the criteria of a sentient being was very well done.

Probably one of TNG's best-written episodes. 10/10 from me.

This episode is just magnificent, splendid writing and splendid acting by not only Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart, but also Jonathon Frakes and Brophby (Bruce Maddox) as well. I don't think I can really do it justice, it's just really good. I felt so, so sorry for Data through out this, he is just a very nice character. I'll give this 9 out of 10 as TNG does get even better, but I don't want that to take away from how good this really is.

This is the episode that got me into TNG after refusing to watch it due to the horribly derivative show name (The Next Generation - yuck). Yanked the prejudice toward the name completely away and made me an instant fan. It is in my top 5 TNG eps and top 10 Trek overall. A true philosophical classic.

One of my favorite TNGs. Definitely my favorite Data episode.

And even though it's about Data (in theory), it really reveals more about Picard and Riker (brilliant writing). Loved Guinan (a black woman) talking to Picard about 'disposable creatures' (pointed allegory).

And Picard's final speech on the definitions of slavery and personal liberties are a series' high point.

This one's a 10. :thumbup:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Definitely one of the best episodes in Trek, not just TNG to me. It handled an interesting philosophical question that still holds meaning to this day because we or maybe the next generation (pun intended) will have to deal with questions on A.I. and if they're sentient or not (or maybe a few generations from now. We're not that close to it). Regardless, it is one of those issues that will be timeless like the question of slavery or civil rights for one group or another. The court room atmosphere was well done as was pitting Picard and Riker against each other. Data's calm, merciful discussion with Maddox was also well done. It's a shame VOY ripped this episode off with the EMH (and then didn't even reference it at all...).

I also like the Admiral's variant uniform!

I will say that one thing I don't like is...Data had been in SF for years at this point. Why did this issue never come up before hand? Why was Data even allowed in Starfeet if his sentience was questioned? Do they allow smart German Shepherds in Starfleet too? (then again, I read dolphins were in Starfleet so....) It just seemed odd that this issue never came up before.

Definitely one of the best episodes in Trek, not just TNG to me. It handled an interesting philosophical question that still holds meaning to this day because we or maybe the next generation (pun intended) will have to deal with questions on A.I. and if they're sentient or not (or maybe a few generations from now. We're not that close to it). Regardless, it is one of those issues that will be timeless like the question of slavery or civil rights for one group or another. The court room atmosphere was well done as was pitting Picard and Riker against each other. Data's calm, merciful discussion with Maddox was also well done. It's a shame VOY ripped this episode off with the EMH (and then didn't even reference it at all...).

I also like the Admiral's variant uniform!

I will say that one thing I don't like is...Data had been in SF for years at this point. Why did this issue never come up before hand? Why was Data even allowed in Starfeet if his sentience was questioned? Do they allow smart German Shepherds in Starfleet too? (then again, I read dolphins were in Starfleet so....) It just seemed odd that this issue never came up before.

Data did mention that there was a review board at the academy to determine if he qualified to serve in Starfleet; Maddox was the only dissenting vote (good thing it didn't have to be a unanimous decision!). So, while the board allowed him to serve in Starfleet, it was never clearly defined in exactly what capacity. Was he a device, like the ship's computer or was he a singular sentient being with full rights and privileges? An academy entrance review board is very different than a formal hearing to determine one's fate going forward. Data probably assumed (as most would) that the issue was settled when the review board determined he was sentient.

Frankly the questions this episode raises are really powerful, and are as relevant today as they were in 1988 (especially as computers in my own lifetime have gone from room sized, vacuum-tubed monstrosities to commonplace portable devices the size and thickness of a dozen playing cards (with even greater capacity than their giant predecessors). This question WILL have to be answered sooner or later; at what point will a machine or computer ever be considered self aware and 'alive'? Does it just 'mimic' responses, or is it really thinking? Are WE just sums of our genetic programming and conditioning, and is our sentience merely a comfortable illusion we all collectively choose to believe in?

And yes, I agree; this is the kind of stuff ST does best.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I really loved this episode, especially Louvois's face when Data said he was intimate with Tasha hahahaha and Riker's smirk was awesome like saying: "you dog!", It was really subtle but... it was there :laugh: . And of course, tons of Data... that's just perfect.

Now seriously... it has really great parts like that one when Data asks Picard why he doesn't ask all of the crew to wear a visor just like Geordi does, and then he comes to the conclusion that he doesn't do it 'cause they're humans. That was incredible, and I really love how this kinda makes Picard understand what really is in danger here, and then the conversation with Guinan about slavery, that was amazing.

And Riker was really good too, having to go against his friend wasn't easy but he did a good job, like he was really against Data.

( "Thank you, Amazon.com Christmas gift cards!" )

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

Today, my copy of TNG S2 in blu ray has finally arrived!!  I can't wait to dig in to the extended cut of "Measure of a Man" tonight.  I'm thinking of watching it with the 7.1 audio first and then a rewatch later in the week with the Snodgrass audio commentary.  This episode is one of my all-time TNG favorites, but unlike most I view this more as a Picard episode than a Data episode.   Although Data is the story's focal point, it's Picard classically-awesome defense of his right to exist and to retain his unique status that not only defines the episode, but reaffirms what Star Trek is all about. 

themeasureofaman_hd_349.jpg

And...I'm really looking forward to seeing it in shiny, sparkly HD too... :P

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

Today, my copy of TNG S2 in blu ray has finally arrived!!  I can't wait to dig in to the extended cut of "Measure of a Man" tonight.  I'm thinking of watching it with the 7.1 audio first and then a rewatch later in the week with the Snodgrass audio commentary.  This episode is one of my all-time TNG favorites, but unlike most I view this more as a Picard episode than a Data episode.   Although Data is the story's focal point, it's Picard classically-awesome defense of his right to exist and to retain his unique status that not only defines the episode, but reaffirms what Star Trek is all about. 

It feels like a completely different episode and a detailed movie, almost. Have fun with lots of Jean-Luc in HD! ;) 

v

datalore_hd_469.jpg

It feels like a completely different episode and a detailed movie, almost. Have fun with lots of Jean-Luc in HD! ;) 

I just (finally!) saw it... wow.

It feels very different; even the little single lines here and there that were added changed the mood of scenes.  So many bits I wish they'd left in... it could've been advertised (during its original broadcast days) as a special-length TNG episode, or some such thing.   

But yeah... wow!  I love this version of the episode even more than I did the original.  

Sign in to follow this