Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Parallax

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

TITLE: Parallax

EPISODE: Season 1, Episode 3

TELEPLAY: Brannon Braga

STORY: Jim Trombetta

DIRECTOR: Kim Friedman

US AIRDATE: Jan 23, 1995

STARDATE: 48315.6

While Janeway and Chakotay argue about who should replace the dead chief engineer, Voyager encounters a ship caught inside a quantum singularity. The ship is Voyager, displaced over several hours of time due to the temporal nature of the anomaly. The captain and B'Elanna Torres work together to free it and the former Maquis becomes chief engineer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A brilliant Janeway/ Torres episode (in the slash or non-slash sense), I love the beginning where Carey's face almost jumps up at you as he gets up from the bio-bed. The best scene has to be B'Elanna throwing a plate at Chakotay :thumbup:

Some other good scenes include the Torres and Janeway in her ready room and in the shuttle.

I was always considered this an ep for hardcore fans to watch while waiting for the series to get good.

I like this episode because it was very Trekish with all of the technobabble and scientific creativity. We had great character development for only the third episode

I like that we see her fiestier at the beginning and then as her character grows she does calm down a bit (just a bit)

After seeing this again last night, I think I'll actually give it a nine. Not only did it have some great scenes with Janeway and Torres, but I also loved the scenes with the Doc. His facially expressions really cracked me up.

There's just too much technobabble in this one, and it's not even interesting technobabble at that :dontgetit: It also still annoys me how Kes is allowed in the senior staff meetings as well. Another annoyance I have is how quickly Chakotay seemed to have adjusted to going from being Maquis to a Stafleet commander again, it wouldn't be as easy as that. I did like the bits with The Doctor shrinking though. This is another 5 out of 10.

This was one of the few episodes to even mention friction between the Maquis and Federation crew. This is a B'lanna focused episode in which she gains the Chief Engineer job over a federation officer. Cardassian spy Seska suggests to B'lanna that she should have broke more than just Carrey's nose. There is some comedy thrown in with the Doctor's shrinking. It's kind of jarring to go back early in the series and hear them refer to The Doctor like he's an object, an 'it'. Voyager's dilemma is a bit tough to follow but we at least we get a lecture from Janeway about effect occurring before cause in some temporal situations. Also a bit jarring to hear the ship referred to as 'The Voyager' by Tom Paris.

6.5/10

Sign in to follow this