Sign in to follow this  
doctor_odd

The Dark Knight Rises - Rumors and News!

What about Huntress?

She would be awesome! I'm sure Nolan could pull her off amazingly. And maybe she could feature as a rivial/ally/partner/pain-in-the-ass for Batman. More ruthless than he is, willing to kill to dispense justice. She belives she IS the law

Frontier   

Unlikely - she isn't too familiar to audiences, and the same role could be better filled by Catwoman.

Tone720   

I think Catwoman would be possible as they won't make the casting mistake of Halle Berry and hire the same writers again.

Frontier   

I think the Berry Catwoman was under the radar enough, and Nolan's Batman is revered enough, that should he want to use the character, WB will not object.

Nolan has a blank check and free hand for B3. Should he wish to do more than 3, he'll have such for them, too. Studios like money. If you make them money, and critical acclaim and awards to boot, they let you do whatever you want. I expect WB to throw a massive paycheck at Nolan to tempt him to continue after B3.

Daxy   

I also noticed that they showed Gordon's family, but I see no Barbara Gordon... which means no Batgirl and later no Oracle then.

I don't think we're going to see Batgirl anytime soon in the Batman films. If Nolan isn't planning to bring Robin in then we're not going to get a Batgirl - not to mention up until this point they've put more emphasis on Gordon's son than his daughter. Damn shame though - though I would say that as Barbara Gordon is my favourite character in the comics.

I'd like to see Catwoman on screen again - I think it should be an attempt to make up for the mess that the Halle Berry film was. You know, just showing that as a Character Catwoman can be done right - though not Cher. I'm a huge Cher fan, but that rumour sends chills down my spin.

As for the next film...I don't know. I'd like to see Two-Face again (I'm conviced he didn't die), but part of me thinks its too soon to bring him back - we just had a film with him. The next part of me wants a film with Harley Quinn because as strange as it sounds I think she's an interesting character on an emotional level. Of course a film with Harley Quinn would depend on if the Joker was recast and I don't think it's in the near future (distant future maybe) - though there's a perfect story option: The Joker in Arkham Asylum, and she's his psychiatrist who he twists into his mindset.

Wow...I've ranted. I'm going to shut up now.

Frontier   

I doubt we'll be seeing Two-Face again. According to Nolan and Eckhart, he's dead. Though since they never said the words on screen (and even if they did) a good writer can always find a way around such trivialities as death. :)

I, for instance, thought originally that he was simply knocked out or into a coma. That Gordon and Batman later faked that comatose Dent's death before committing him to some out-of-state mental facility, and such was simply not shown as to leave his fate ambiguous.

As far as Harley, the biggest road block for her is the setup of the character. They got away without showing the Joker's origins because it was part of their plan to leave him a mystery, and the performance was so fantastic, it didn't require such. But they would need to explain in some manner the connection between Harley and the Joker. Who, mind you, the character of Joker is still alive even if Heath isn't.

It would be tough, and it would also likely feel a bit cheap - like a retread on the character of Joker via using Harley - but... it could be done.

Outside of Riddler, I'd put money down on Catwoman. The shade-of-gray frenemy type thing would be good for Batman, and with Rachel out of the picture, they need a new female lead and love interest. Catwoman is perhaps the only love interest in all of comics that is actually more than just a pretty face in need of constant saving, too, which is helpful for a female audience perspective -- she more than holds her own against the big bad Bat and isn't another damsel in distress.

Riddler and Catwoman are my bet. But we'll see. Nolan has a history of surprising and shocking us. No one knew before hand that Liam Neeson was the true Ra's Ah Ghul, and that Ken Watanabe was just a symbolic such. People doubted the hiring of Heath Ledger for the role of Joker until reports from the set began to leak out.

Also something to note; they may have a pattern of hint dropping. In Begins, Bruce in his drunk toast, called the guests "two-faced friends" -- and then in TDK they had Two Face. In TDK, when discussing the new batsuit and the dog attack, Lucius remarked it should hold up fine "against cats"... so maybe that's a pattern and a subtle hint of Catwoman's involvement in a third film.

Daxy   

I'll be honest, I don't think Dent is dead - Nolan may not bring him back, but I'm with you; there's still the potential for him to return even if he is dead. I think Eckhart did such a good job that it would be a shame not to see him again.

I don't think introducing Harley is all that hard to do. I don't think she's a character that needs to be surrounded in mystery - I think she's a far more opened book. And considering the Joker was caught at the end of TDK, then he has to escape from there and she sort of goes hand in hand with that. Though there's no show without punch so she's a character very dependant on the Joker to work on screen I'd guess.

I 100% agree that with you that with Rachel gone there's a gap left that needs to be filled and it only makes sense Catwoman fill it. And...I think the only thing that puts me off about the Riddler is...well...what Batman Forever did to the character, I don't know why. Though I like the idea of David Tennant in the role - simply off the mock posters that are floating around online :giggle:

Frontier   

I could see the hesitation on the Riddler thanks to the Forever version. But back before Begins came out, everyone and their mother save a small group of us (myself included) where worried beyond belief that history would repeat. It was only once the film was out and people saw it that, instantly, all fear vanished and everyone breathed a big sigh of relief that Batman had been properly incarnated in physical form for the first time, perhaps ever, in some opinions.

Oddly enough, my pick for Riddler is what's-his-name, the guy who plays House. He was suggested early on too, and I think he could be great in it.

That said, Nolan has an ability to cast people we don't expect in some roles, and they turn out greatly. Ledger, prime example.

I do doubt Tenant would get the part though -- Nolan tends to pick individuals who are a big more well known, even if not A or B list. He's only used lesser-known actors for smaller parts. Anthony Michael Hall and Eric Roberts in TDK for supporting characters. Known, yet, not instant name recognition. Tenant is in that area, actually less so.

Daxy   

Tennant is the Doctor! I think that's pretty big - wait...that might be a reason not to cast him ;) I don't think Tennant would ever get the part anyway, I think he could look the part, but I can's see him being the part.

Tone720   

Oddly enough, my pick for Riddler is what's-his-name, the guy who plays House. He was suggested early on too, and I think he could be great in it.

Hugh Laurie... hmm well he has history in comedy as well as being a grumpy SOB on House so that would have potential.

I see what ya mean about Nolan's casting. I mean the bigger names in BB and TDK have more background roles than being Batman and whichever nemesis, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, (do Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhall count? I guess they were both quite well known?)

Also anyone else heard the rumour of Poison Ivy being a villain this time out, but played by Debra Messing? I can't really see that myself, I think they'd probably go for someone younger (and if were honest, bustier), maybe Christina Hendricks. Either way, it's still better than the Cher-Catwoman rumour :P

Frontier   

Any and every casting rumor started by Hollywood and not fans is at this point, only a sure fire "never going to happen" -- Eddie Murphy, Cher, whomever. That's not going to happen. Period.

The rumors we start are hopes, the ones Hollywood does are just... lame shock value things.

I doubt Poison Ivy - they could only go the eco-terrorist root with her, and it doesn't seem like something Nolan would want to do, it wouldn't be an escalation from Joker, it would be a few steps back.

Daxy   

I can't see Hugh Laurie as Riddler - in fact nobody springs to mind for Riddler. I'm really bad at this 'guessing good casting' game am I? :huh:

I googled the movie and the word is Megan Fox is to play Catwoman. Thats odd, because MEgans blue eyes, dark eyes and expression makes her more suited for wonder woman than catwoman. But it seems that megan fox has nothing but slutty-like roles (You gotta admit, catwoman acts slutty) . So much for a femininistic icon like Wonder Woman .

Tone720   

Is there anything were NOT seeing Megan Fox in lately... getting a little tiresome now, I mean she's OK but I am starting to think she's as overrated as Halle Berry, Lindsay Lohan or Angelina Jolie now.

PhantBat   

There in no guarantee Nolan will even use Catwoman in B3.

As far as villains go Riddler has the most fan pull, and if a more serious version can be used i'm all for it.

I also think that Black Mask is perfect for being the Freak mob boss

And because we had Ra's al Ghul in BB, maybe Nolan will bring in Talia.

Huntress would be an interesting character to bring in actually, since she doesn't act like a typical side-kick. she is also similar to Batman not differs in that she's out for vengeance not justice.

I think there are enough loose ends to tie up from TDK that we might not even need a new villain. As superhero movie franchises get older, the writers seem to cram in more and more villains until there are too many (Spider Man 3, Batman And Robin)...

If we DO end up having a villain, I say we just have one. One really strong one.

Of course a film with Harley Quinn would depend on if the Joker was recast and I don't think it's in the near future (distant future maybe) - though there's a perfect story option: The Joker in Arkham Asylum, and she's his psychiatrist who he twists into his mindset.

I actually see that working out in a Nolan Film. As for the recasting of the Joker, I saw an expression on LEdgers face when he looked at the clock and the boats havent blown up yet, for split second that reminded me so much of Johnny Depp. HEath Ledgers portrayal of the Joker was great, but it isnt the joker. The joker isnt supposed to be serious at all. This joker was just too serious. But he was one hell of a villian in this movie. But yeah harley quinn as a psycharatrist seduced by Jokers madness is a brilliant way to go.

As for the catwoman role, I can see this one working out too. But in about the same way as it worked out in Returns. (I for one think Burton is a more brilliant director than Nolan).

Next is Penguin. Only way i see this working out is the way he was in the animated series. A crimeboss with a funny voice, potbelly and a super long nose and a wobble.

Riddler...I always thought he was too much like the Riddler.

Mr. Freeze ...Too Sci FI to work out

Poison Ivy...maybe a oddley attractive Eco terrorist,,,otherwise too fantastic for Nolans methods

Clock King...Too SciFi again

Clayface...obviously way way too SciFi

Christopher Nolans "realisitc" style just doesnt work good for most of batman's villians.

BUT HELL THE NEXT BATMAN MOVIE BETTER HAVE THE DAMN BATWING!!! I WANT TO SEE A DAMN BATWING!!!

Frontier   

I actually see that working out in a Nolan Film. As for the recasting of the Joker, I saw an expression on LEdgers face when he looked at the clock and the boats havent blown up yet, for split second that reminded me so much of Johnny Depp. HEath Ledgers portrayal of the Joker was great, but it isnt the joker. The joker isnt supposed to be serious at all. This joker was just too serious. But he was one hell of a villian in this movie. But yeah harley quinn as a psycharatrist seduced by Jokers madness is a brilliant way to go.

I certainly get what you're saying; Ledger's Joker was not the classic Joker we know and love. Mark Hamill's Animated Joker, I think, comes closest to being "perfect" in the majority of fans minds for the character.

That said, Ledger's Joker has now totally changed the definition of the character. I don't think we'll be going back to Hamill's Joker, the one we've known in comics for decades. I think he really raised the bar and expectations so much so that, like how Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" totally changed Batman from being campy as he was in the 40s-70s, to being bad-ass mother in the 80s and beyond, so too will Ledger's portrayal of the Joker now re-define the character.

As for the catwoman role, I can see this one working out too. But in about the same way as it worked out in Returns. (I for one think Burton is a more brilliant director than Nolan).

Next is Penguin. Only way i see this working out is the way he was in the animated series. A crimeboss with a funny voice, potbelly and a super long nose and a wobble.

Riddler...I always thought he was too much like the Riddler.

Mr. Freeze ...Too Sci FI to work out

Poison Ivy...maybe a oddley attractive Eco terrorist,,,otherwise too fantastic for Nolans methods

Clock King...Too SciFi again

Clayface...obviously way way too SciFi

Christopher Nolans "realisitc" style just doesnt work good for most of batman's villians.

BUT HELL THE NEXT BATMAN MOVIE BETTER HAVE THE DAMN BATWING!!! I WANT TO SEE A DAMN BATWING!!!

They could do realism spins on most of them. Many people have said eco-terrorist for Poison Ivy. Gun Runner for Penguin. Clayface could simply be a master of disguise type guy, rather than liquid-ish.

Riddler, done in Nolan-style, would not be so clownish and comical. No wearing neatly printed question marks and all green outfits and such. Much more chaotic and grungy and real and not so much about clever word riddles as deciphering them and pitting his intellect against the Bats. It could be done. Who knows?

I doubt we'll see the Batwing though. Nolan once said, "Why would a crime-fighter who works more or less exclusively in one metropolitan city need a jet plane?" and I've got to agree.

Maybe the Batboat, though? I wonder if we'll see a new Batmobile or the old one rebuilt. Will we finally get the proper Batcave?

Daxy   

But yeah harley quinn as a psycharatrist seduced by Jokers madness is a brilliant way to go.

Remind me to bill Warner Brothers for my creative effort :giggle:

The more I think about it the more I want to see Poison Ivy in the next film. I think she's interesting as deep down she's got a good cause, but just goes about defending it in completely wrong way. In fact I think I'd want to see Poison Ivy more than the Riddler who I just can't picture out of bright green outfits covered in question marks - goddamn 'Batman Forever'! Ruined me forever on the Riddler!

I googled the movie and the word is Megan Fox is to play Catwoman. Thats odd, because MEgans blue eyes, dark eyes and expression makes her more suited for wonder woman than catwoman. But it seems that megan fox has nothing but slutty-like roles (You gotta admit, catwoman acts slutty) . So much for a femininistic icon like Wonder Woman .

There is a difference between slutty and a woman who knows she has sexual power and uses it to her advantage. She has men wrapped around her pinky finger.

There is a difference between slutty and a woman who knows she has sexual power and uses it to her advantage. She has men wrapped around her pinky finger.

Yes, that's Catwoman--she has that power. Megan Fox is the opposite.

Frontier   

I would not worry too much about any ditsy babe like Megan Fox being cast. Nolan casts great actors. I know, I know, Katie Holmes... and Maggie Gylenhaal was a bit of a dog under certain lighting (though at least she has some acting chops). Holmes, though, at the time, looked to be beginning a serious acting career. No one could have foreseen her abduction and brain-washing by Tom Cruise. LOL.

Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Aaron Eckhart...

We tend to get good actors, really good actors. Megan Fox...? She doesn't even come close to qualifying.

Besides which, after TDK and Ledger's Joker, there are very few actors who would turn down a role. I know two actors turned down two-face in TDK; and I'll bet you they'll kick themselves until they die for doing such. Haha.

The most oft-mentioned name for any female villain lead is Angelina Jolie. Who, say what you want about her personal life, can act.

Daien   

Has it been confirmed who is, and isn't back? I've read articles where Nolan and Bale are both like "Naw, I want to move on, no more Batman movies" I can get not wanting to be typecast or anything, but when it brings you in the money and the attention (that ultimately helps your career), they are being fools if they don't come back. I'd get it, if Bale decided to not come back for Terminator, aside from the wow factor, I am not certain I even really liked the movie and it just...I dunno, anyway... as for Villains, I dare not speculate to much, oddly enough as much of a fan I am of batman, I just don't know a ton of the rouges gallery. I almost think this would be more like a "Batman vs Society" at this point, considering how TDK wrapped up.

Sign in to follow this