Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doctor_odd

The Dark Knight Rises - Rumors and News!

157 posts in this topic

It'd be nice to see Nolan & Co. do #3 just to wrap up the whole "early years" story. Obviously we saw a Batman in #2 that was a little more used to the whole crime fighting thing, but ending at #2 would just seem abrupt.

Penguin wouldn't be so bad if they focus on him as a Mob Boss (rather than going down the Batman Returns Danny Devito route and giving him friggin Flippers)... which alluding to an earlier post, maybe with a more realistic Bane as enforcer...

I do keep hearing rumours about Johnny Depp as the Riddler... I can kinda see it, but also not, though Depp could also take the insanity level up somewhere near Ledger's Joker and way above Jack Nicholson's Joker (great as that also was)

Also the Tennant thing.... he manages to hide his accent pretty well on Doctor Who, so why not? also, as Riddler, would he NEED to hide the accent?

My thoughts on TDK, Two Face got a revamp from the Tommy Lee Jones version to this, so maybe the same could be done with Riddler... but leave off on Catwoman, at least for now, kinda been overdone recently me thinks, what with Berry, Pfeiffer and so her own movie etc. I also noticed that they showed Gordon's family, but I see no Barbara Gordon... which means no Batgirl and later no Oracle then.

In the end though, I think whatever anyone on any forum comes up with, it probably won't be second-guessing what they actually do.

Smart money is on the Riddler at this point. I've had trouble with the idea due to the animated series and Jim Carey versions sticking in my head, Riddler was always supposed to be so smart but fell so short. But it occured to me that Nolan has abandoned all preconceptions with his universe, and if he does so with Riddler - makes a Riddler a lot like the Joker we saw, no morals, crazed, defined by intellect without being a snooty brain - it could work. If he plays Riddler as a serial killer type, it could really be a good thing. The days of flashy, fancy, posh villains in Batman is over.

Penguin wouldn't be so bad if they focus on him as a Mob Boss (rather than going down the Batman Returns Danny Devito route and giving him friggin Flippers)... which alluding to an earlier post, maybe with a more realistic Bane as enforcer...

I do keep hearing rumours about Johnny Depp as the Riddler... I can kinda see it, but also not, though Depp could also take the insanity level up somewhere near Ledger's Joker and way above Jack Nicholson's Joker (great as that also was)

Also the Tennant thing.... he manages to hide his accent pretty well on Doctor Who, so why not? also, as Riddler, would he NEED to hide the accent?

My thoughts on TDK, Two Face got a revamp from the Tommy Lee Jones version to this, so maybe the same could be done with Riddler... but leave off on Catwoman, at least for now, kinda been overdone recently me thinks, what with Berry, Pfeiffer and so her own movie etc. I also noticed that they showed Gordon's family, but I see no Barbara Gordon... which means no Batgirl and later no Oracle then.

In the end though, I think whatever anyone on any forum comes up with, it probably won't be second-guessing what they actually do.

For some reason i remember Barbara being referenced in the film by Jim's wife.

I saw an interview somewhere the other day where there was talk by Goyer that they may go with someone who hasn't appeared in any of the films yet.

Cant remember where i saw it but heard the the riddler and catwoman will be in the next BM movie with johnny depp as the riddler and nolan's personal choice for catwoman--wait for it---Cher.

Cant remember where i saw it but heard the the riddler and catwoman will be in the next BM movie with johnny depp as the riddler and nolan's personal choice for catwoman--wait for it---Cher.

Please tell me that this is a joke. Please, for the love of god...PLEASE! This can't be real, you can't be serious! If they do this...it will kill the franchise...AGAIN!!! You know, if they go through with that...it'll kill the current Batman franchise and someone else will come along with another franchise reboot. And the process will repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

I heard that rumor about Cher as well. According to the rumor, Nolan likes/wants her for the role, and she would play an older more sophisticated Celina Kyle.

It's possible if this were to happen, that she might not even be Catwoman...at least not in the sense that where we actually see her out burglarizing Gotham, or as a friend/villain to Batman, all the while trying to sex up Wayne.

If they portrayed her with a great deal of class and sophistication, someone who has left her spirited criminal lifestyle behind her, it could work.

I'm not entirely sure Cher would be the one to pull that off, but then quite a few people had their doubts about Heath Ledger as the Joker. I even had doubts about Christian Bale as Batman/Wayne.

If this pans out, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt, simply because at this point Nolan has gained my trust.

All the rumors are so far beyond moot, guys. They don't even have Nolan confirmed wanting to do 3 yet. Let alone a story. Let alone casting.

The only casting rumor of note is Depp as Riddler. He said he would be interested. That's as far as it goes.

Believe me, folks. When something legitimate occurs with B3, I'll be posting it as soon as I know it. Batman is one of my most beloved franchises, up there with Star Trek, nBSG, and Terminator. When something breaks, I'll know, and so will you. ;)

I am not sure what to say for a villain, I had some thoughts and forgot it as I was working through the topic >< I wouldn't be surprised to see other heroes of DC make it into this continuity though, so far Marvel is pulling it off with Iron Man and Incredible Hulk. Anyways, It's a definite certain we'll see another movie, by who is the question.

Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's musical score for "The Dark Knight" is back in the Oscar Race says the trades.

A month ago the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) disqualified the film's score due to five names being listed as composers on the music cue sheet.

Zimmer and Howard at the time stated so many names were listed on the cue sheet as the other three contributors were essential in the film's work.

Now though, the Music Branch Executive Committee of the has reversed its decision after reviewing information submitted by the affected parties.

The committee concluded that two, Zimmer and Howard, were responsible for the score's authorship and thus it is back in the running.

Meanwhile director Chris Nolan told USA Today that he's done some "rough outlines" of a story for a third film Batman film but he didn't really like much of what he came up with and is 'exceptionally concerned' about screwing up a follow-up film.

Awesome news on TDK's score!

Worry-some news on BB3.

I hope Nolan can push through his concerns.

In Nolan We Trust.

I dont see why not introduce a new original villian. Make it involve the rest of the world, make it more epic. Make a new supervillian. A woman. Truly a homicidal maniac.

Or how about bringing In poison Ivy. Remake her as just a Eco Terrorist who has totally lost her mind . A bio chemist who makes poisons and such. Does anyone else think she is the best candidate for a realistic Villian?

they could do worse, it could be King Tut. :P

but yeah, a rejig of Ivy could work like the penguin rejig

No, no...NOOOOO!!! Not King Tut! And not Poison Ivy.

How about...no one? ;) Since I personally think that they can't make another one. They can't top Dark Knight, ever.

I guess they could link eco-terrorist poison ivy in with links to the things the scarecrow tried to do to the water supply in the first film.

Riddler is, IMHO, the most obvious follow up to Joker and could be done properly in the vein of the Joker. It would also be key to Batman's redemption, lest we forget that Batman is now a wanted 'murderer' due to taking the heat for Dent's insanity-fueled crimes. Many of the early fan-made teaser posters have Riddler asking "Who Is Batman?" and questioning the account of Harvey Dent's demise and final days. The revelation that Batman took on the blame to spare Gotham the burden of their White Knight (Dent) falling to darkness would redeem him, and cement loyalty to Gordon by a lot of people if his involvement became known.

If they avoid the cliches, avoid the lame riddles, and make Riddler a sort of spin-off of the Joker's chaos and insanity, only coupled with intelligence and enigmas... it could truly work. Especially with someone like Johnny Depp in the role, and he's said he would be interested, and most people consider him the only worth successor to Ledger.

At the same time, Catwoman is believed to be another likely introduction. With Rachel gone, it removes the love-triangle issue, and Catwoman is always a gray-area of morals. She's a thief, but not a villain.

Right now it's all way to early. Right now, I'm worried about Nolan. He's concerned about being able to due good on the next film, and rightfully so, as when you've done such a smashing success of a film from every angle... it's hard to top that. That said, Christopher Nolan has earned, through blood, swet, and tears, the unshakable loyalty to every Batfan out there. He saved Batman from the nightmare of the 90s films. After Begins, people began saying "In Nolan We Trust" and with TDK, that phrase has only caught fire and become a credo.

The prospect of doing a third film, making a trilogy, is especially daunting. History is not kind to third films. That said, if anyone out there ever could break the third-film curse, I believe in Chris Nolan. I trust him to do it. To accomplish the impossible.

It's silly to look at the third film as if there is some sort of competition with the first two, as though it has to 'top' the previous films. It doesn't. They'll make bank regardless and in the end the movie will most likely fall into the Matrix Syndrome, where the first and second films are so great that the final installment can never hope to live up peoples expectations. Let go of the idea it has to be the greatest film ever made (which is what it would have to be, in order to top TDK) and just enjoy it for what it will undoubtedly be; a good film.

The Matrix Syndrome?

Most people I know consider both Matrix sequels to be utter epic failures. The type that seems to plague films done "back-to-back" - like the Pirate sequels, which where, while good, no where near as fantastic as the first chapter. The whole "back-to-back" mentality that the stories have to be "to be continued" endings for part 2 and part 3 the resolution is idiotic. Matrix rocked, the sequels flopped (fan-wise).

As to competition... it's not a competition so much as that, once you've put the bar so high, simply re-reaching it is an extraordinary hurtle. Simply being "as good" as TDK would require a lot. Being at all superior would be a supreme difficulty. Whether we like the fact or not, we will not be satisfied with simply another "good film" - not after TDK achieved such soaring acclaim and acceptance. It's sequel needs to be as good, or better, and that's a tall order. It may not be logical, but it's psychology of the fan and the critic and the creators and actors.

PS: Am listening to the Ltd. Edition 2-Disc expanded TDK score. :biggrin:

If only Heath were still alive... Harley is and her babies would be a nice addition. Maybe she's a drugged up (on things like speed) wackjob who is really annoying.

I would love to see a Joker/Harley thing going on. I mean Joker does not get relationships and Harleyquinn likely would irritate the crap outta him

Other possible villians.... I have one!

SLADE (Aka Deathstroke)

The Vegas odds are on the Riddler. He's the most likely next lead villain. He's Nolan's style. Penguin would be plausible, if done as an eccentric arms dealer, without all the freaky physical stuff like Danny DeVito played it, but Nolan hates penguin.

Riddler makes the most sense. Done right, done like they took Joker, it could be the only thing to come close to standing up to Heath's Joker.

As far as other villains... I wouldn't go beyond the base of the rogues gallery. Batman has the best cast of villains, the one people are most familiar with. Going outside them to someone like Firefly or Deathstroke or Hush or any other such, is really unlikely to occur unless/until they're at the point of a 6th movie or some such, by which Nolan and Bale and such will have moved on.

I see Nolan doing B3 for the ultimate challenge, something few creative minds can pass up. The Dark Knight is the most successful and critically acclaimed comic-book film of all time. It's considered the Godfather, Part 2 of such. It's villain one an Oscar for acting. It made a billion dollars. Trying to even keep on the same level as that for a third film is an epic challenge. Trying somehow to beat it is ultimate.

Place your money on Riddler as the main. Who as secondary, or even tertiary? No clue. Harley Quinn is such a new character, it's unknown how she would translate to the big screen. Done right, as I imagine Nolan could do such -- basically a female variant of the Joker, perhaps a bit less coordinated and a little more insane -- might work. But it would be dangerous to do a character so closely related to Heath's Joker. Catwoman is possible, and would be a good change to have a villain who isn't a villain, a shade of gray character, but 2004's mega-bomb with Hally Berry really has WB scared of the character.

We'll see. We'll see. Only time will tell. Chris Nolan is, as far as WB is concerned, the end all of the franchise right now. They will not make any move in any direction on the future of such until he's decided what he wants to do and when.

The reason Harley works is that she started out as his state asigned shrink, and fell in love with him. And freed him, and from there her mind went...

The reason Harley works is that she started out as his state asigned shrink, and fell in love with him. And freed him, and from there her mind went...

Just imagine the character interaction between Heath and whoever would possibly be cast as Harley! It'd be phenomenal, I think.

how about casting Mark Hamill... he already has a character too:

7319-25514.gif

cockknocker1ll.jpg

oh... wait.... :P

(and yes, I'm well aware he now voices the Joker in Batman Beyond and Arkham Asylum ;) )

how about casting Mark Hamill... he already has a character too:

7319-25514.gif

cockknocker1ll.jpg

oh... wait.... :P

C**k Knocker!!! :clap: :clap: Surely a worthy villain to combat Bluntma--er, I mean, Batman!

(and yes, I'm well aware he now voices the Joker in Batman Beyond and Arkham Asylum ;) )

He was the Joker in the original Batman animated series, as well. It's his second-most famous role next to Luke Skywalker. :happy:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0