Sign in to follow this  
doctor_odd

The Dark Knight Rises - Rumors and News!

Now we start speculation on the third film.

I think it should be called, just simply, 'Gotham', or something like that. I predict real closure for Scarecrow.

As for main villains, my 3 favorites have already been done (Joker, Two-Face and Ra's al Ghul), so what's left? I doubt they'd try Mr. Freeze or Catwoman (judging on the recent critical reception of Batman Forever and Catwoman), and the Riddler is just a terrible idea.

I'm not sure. The Penguin? The Monk? Maybe somebody more obscure?

I think that Phillip Seymour Hoffman should be the Penguin! :P

No, seriously, there's no way for them to follow-up this. First off, they can't just forget about the Joker. Second...it'll be REALLY hard to live up to this film, which is already being called "The 'Godfather: Part II' of superhero movies." There's no way they can follow up, not without Heath. And I doubt anyone would want to do it, not after this one.

Virogen   

Well, I could see Christopher Nolan packing up and saying he's done as yeah, he probably can't top this. However, the studio will likely hire someone else to make another anyway. I am guessing Two-Face will be the main villain, as really this movie created him.

They alluded to Catwoman in The Dark Knight when they said the armor would hold up to cat bites. A catwoman/two face movie would work I think.

Frontier   

"Gotham" is a good title. I've heard some obvious "never gonna happens" stuff. "The Caped Crusader" - doesn't have the same pull as "The Dark Knight" and likewise would be a retread. "The Dynamic Duo" - Robin will NEVER be done by Nolan. No one likes Robin anyway.

Gary Oldman recently said that the Riddler would be in the third film. But who knows if he was joking, or if that is reliable.

The "cat" reference makes many people wonder. If you recall, in Begins, when Bruce played drunk, he called the party-goers his "two-faced friends" as well. It would be tricky, though, as the Halle Berry fiasco was only a few years ago.

Two-Faces' fate is uncertain; some think he died, some do not. I can't decide. I feel though that Two-Face must have survived, otherwise, how will they redeem Batman?

Penguin has been tossed around, but he was also tossed around for Knight, and then we heard Nolan doesn't like Penguin.

Freeze would be difficult to do. These films are greatly grounded in realism. It's not a stretch to make the villians we've seen real. It would be for Freeze.

Poison Ivy might be possible. No "living plants" mind you, but using bio-toxins and having a green agenda. With all the recenty green stuff, it might be a good thing to use. It also might back-fire and be viewed as "liberal tripe, propoganda" fodder by the right, though. :rolleyes:

I won't say Joker is off the table, but many people feel he is. How can you top Ledger's performance? There are, perhaps, 2 or 3 actors in all of Hollywood who would even be able to TRY, and even then it would be hit or miss. Johnny Depp might be able to pull it off, but he's much older and I doubt he would want to try. He's already one of three actors filling in the rest of Ledger's part in his incomplete film.

Whether or not Nolan does 3 is a big question.

I know he, Bale, Caine, Freeman, and Oldman signed 3 picture deals.

I can also see WB throwing a dump-truck of money at Nolan for 1 more.

My hope is they throw an 18-wheeler full of 100's at him for another 3 picture deal; same with the rest of the cast. That seems very, very unlikely. Caine is 72; he'll be 75 if they stay on the 3 year breaks for 3. Freeman only does them for the money and has near said so. Oldman tried to get out of his contract for this one.

I think they'll all do 3, and then it will get passed on to a whole new crop.

That said, I hope I'm wrong and I hope even if new everyone else comes in, Bale sticks around. But that's unlikely.

It would be glorious if, in 20-25 years, Nolan and Bale reunited and made "The Dark Knight Returns" adaptation, though.

Well, I could see Christopher Nolan packing up and saying he's done as yeah, he probably can't top this. However, the studio will likely hire someone else to make another anyway. I am guessing Two-Face will be the main villain, as really this movie created him.

They alluded to Catwoman in The Dark Knight when they said the armor would hold up to cat bites. A catwoman/two face movie would work I think.

NO! No more villain pairings! NO MORE!! The only one that EVER worked was Catwoman and Penguin in "Batman Returns." Please, for the love of god...just leave the series as is. It's ended, let it end on this high note.

NO! No more villain pairings! NO MORE!! The only one that EVER worked was Catwoman and Penguin in "Batman Returns." Please, for the love of god...just leave the series as is. It's ended, let it end on this high note.

Why should they end the series just because no one can top Joker? There are plenty of things to explore in the Batman universe - and they'll have Bale, Oldman and Eckhart to work with, all that combined acting talent is absolutely astounding!

maneth   

Bale himself has said that he's not at all interested in making a third movie unless Nolan directs it. It'll be really interesting to see who they choose as a villain for the next one. I hope it's someone other than Catwoman.

Another film won't be able to live up to the amazing standards that this one has established. It wasn't just Heath who made this film impossible to follow up, it was everyone and everything! From everyone's performance in the film, to the hype, to the marketing campaign, to the half-a-mile long lines outside the theater. There's no way, story wise or villain wise or otherwise, that they can follow this up.

Frontier   
Another film won't be able to live up to the amazing standards that this one has established. It wasn't just Heath who made this film impossible to follow up, it was everyone and everything! From everyone's performance in the film, to the hype, to the marketing campaign, to the half-a-mile long lines outside the theater. There's no way, story wise or villain wise or otherwise, that they can follow this up.

I can see your point.

However, they have said such before, and been wrong.

Granted, in all of those cases, it was the first film being awesome and the second film they said "couldn't live up to it" and then the final, third film, did not. But... hey, you never know, right?

Never Say Never.

In 2004, no one thought Nolan could salvage Batman from the state it was in. They where wrong.

He has worked many miracles. Maybe he can do it once more. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm. Perhaps Nolan is the man to finally break the trilogy curse and making the final chapter the best of them all.

Johnny could go just as mad as Heath, now. The Riddler is another one of those insanely deranged villains...who was sorely overplayed by Jim Carrey in "Forever." Granted, I love the Riddler. He, the Joker and the Penguin are my favorite villains. But someone, I don't know, not Depp...should be the Riddler.

Hmm, Johnny Depp as The Riddler...? That could be very interesting...

I've also heard rumors that David Tennant wants to be the Riddler...

I've also heard rumors that David Tennant wants to be the Riddler...

I would second that casting. David Tennant has certainly got the look, but can he hide his accent? ;)

I would second that casting. David Tennant has certainly got the look, but can he hide his accent? ;)

Oldman did a good enough job. :biggrin:

As long as they don't revert to the Jim Carrey-style Riddler I'll be ok.

Here is who I first imagined as Two-Face when people were speculating about TDK: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

I still think he would make a great villain- a new take on the Riddler, perhaps? Or a politician?

The only person I could see taking over from Nolan is Paul Thomas Anderson.

Frontier   

Bane seems far too simplistic - super-strength - for Nolan. They would have to make such massive alterations to the character, make him a mob enforcer, blah blah.

Bane seems far too simplistic - super-strength - for Nolan. They would have to make such massive alterations to the character, make him a mob enforcer, blah blah.

His addiction could be done in an interesting way.

Frontier   
His addiction could be done in an interesting way.

True. They could have him serve as an example of a corrupt government/military, too. They create him, and then wash their hands of him. They give him these super-steroids that drive him nearly mad, then cut him off, and expect nothing to come from it.

Well, Raz Al-Gul could always make a comeback. Maybe they'll make him the villain that he was meant to be. Some kind of magic-wielding mystic, but that's not very realistic. So...perhaps...Harvey didn't die.

trekfan   

Whew...man.

To follow up this movie isn't impossible...but if they get everyone back, its going to be the near hardest thing ever done by any of them.

I think, to honor Heath, the Joker remains untouched for the next movie. Leave him as is. Maybe make him comeback in the next set of Batman movies.

Assuming everyone comes back (and not everyone has too. The three big ones would be Nolan, Bale, and Oldman. The rest aren't required, but I see them coming back if those three agree to come back.)

Heres the options. Of course, Two Face (no villian is ever dead) and Raz (we didn't see him die. The train went down, but was his body ever found? There's leeway there, and I seriously doubt Raz didn't have a fallback plan. He always has a fallback.)

If neither of those two decide to come back, there is the scarecrow (who i feel got kinda jipped in the first one).

If we're playing with the themes we have seen in the first two then I think the next logical villain would be clayface. He's another character who undergoes a serious disfigurement, and ends up becoming a villain because of it.

Now, since the Nolan Batman films have dealt with realism so far, certain aspects of clayface may undergo a change. Then again, they may not. Batman may live in Gothan, but just like the real world, anything can happen.

If not clayface, then perhaps we branch out and bring in Raz's daughter. Definitely would give Bruce/Batman that romance aspect, but Nolan doesn't play that up too much in the films so far (Unlike superman returns, which nearly earned "chick flick" status for its portrayal of the Superman/lois relationship).

If not her, then I vote the mad Hatter, whose doable and can be a very creepy character when written correctly. He's never been played up to his full potential, and I feel he could make a good big time villain.

Other than that, I have to eliminate Freeze, Ivy, Catwoman, and the Penguin. The first two for how poorly they were portrayed (casting Arnold and Uma Thurman, not a good move) and the other two for their fairly decent portrayal (I find Catwoman of Returns much ore likeable then Penguin.)

If one of those needed to be pulled, then Penguin would be my vote.

Otherwise, the only idea I have for any other villain would be the comic book guy, the Black Mask. He certainly would fit the crime ridden Gotham City scene.

Frontier   

I think they're going to keep to the well known Rogue's Gallery, as much as can be. Black Mask, Dead Shot, et cetera, they aren't as well known. Scarecrow and Ra's where as far as they'll go outside of the core group of villians made familair by that crappy 60's TV show.

We've got years to speculate, though. Who knows?

We've got years to speculate, though.

I don't know about that - if they do move ahead with another sequel, I doubt they'll wait more than a year or two. You have to capitalize on this franchise while it's hot - and right now it's volcanic.

Sign in to follow this