JayTheTrekkie

Ten Forward Lounge

There are still places like that? I didn't know...

Well it's the law here in Germany (I think. If it wasn't, the stores wouldn't be closed I guess *lol*). Stores = CLOSED on Sundays. You could still buy some stuff at a gas station, these have to be open, even on Sundays... but only the most basic things. I'm not sure if the gas stations offer milk. I don't have a driver's license (don't really need one), so I rarely visit gas stations. ;)

Or you could go to a restaurant. These are open as well (in the evenings). The grocery stores and so on are closed, though.

maneth   

Ouch. We had the same system until about 15 years ago. But even now only smaller stores are allowed to keep their doors open on Sunday, to give them a bit of an edge on the hypermarkets.

Ouch. We had the same system until about 15 years ago. But even now only smaller stores are allowed to keep their doors open on Sunday, to give them a bit of an edge on the hypermarkets.

Really, lucky you that it has changed! We're still faaaaar away from that.

It was actually really weird over here. There was a discussion about it a few months ago, and then the church (the church!!! Almost no one over here listens to the church!!! :dontgetit: ) intervened and said "No work on Sundays!!!" and suddenly everyone agreed with them - simply because they didn't want to go to work on Sunday... :laugh: :laugh: so the idea was pretty much abandoned, at least as far as I know. Hey, here in my small village, the stores/little shops/whatever are already closed on Saturday at 1PM and re-opened on Monday morning... so if you need anything on Saturday afternoon... you have to go to the nearest bigger city. :vulcan::laugh:

We also had a discussion about opening stores 24/7 during the week... which was also rejected... oh, well. :laugh: We Germans are just too inflexible sometimes, I guess! ;)

Voyager   

When do you get a chance to go shopping if you're working throughout the week and the shops are closed most of the weekend?

maneth   

Germany still works on the assumption that there's only one breadwinner in the family, and the other can do the shopping. Obviously it doesn't work that way anymore, but they seem to be slow to change there...

When do you get a chance to go shopping if you're working throughout the week and the shops are closed most of the weekend?

Saturday mornings. The grocery stores are more than just crowded over here on this day. NEVER walk into a German grocery store on a Saturday morning! (At least not if it isn't in a major city. LOL. These close at 8 PM or something. But not the ones in small villages.)

Germany still works on the assumption that there's only one breadwinner in the family, and the other can do the shopping. Obviously it doesn't work that way anymore, but they seem to be slow to change there...

I guess there is some truth to this. Over here, many women feel forced to choose between having kids and having a career (it's just incredibly hard to find a daycare center for your children, they are crowded already because there aren't enough of them). It's sad, it's out-dated, but it's true. What makes all this so incredibly hard to change is the fact that we are a federal republic. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE for a new law to pass without the consent of the majority of the federal states - and they ALWAYS find something to nitpick on. The result: Different laws for different federal states if they manage to find a way to make the federal state governments take matters into their own hands (doesn't work with all the laws, though) or no new law at all. Don't get me started on the SIXTEEN different smoking ban laws, one individual law for each federal state with individual regulations - just because they couldn't find a way to agree on one law for all the federal states! :loopy:

And the fact that our government argues about EVERYTHING at the moment doesn't help much either. ;)

But hey, I still like Germany. ;) In some way. ;)

Voyager   

Saturday mornings. The grocery stores are more than just crowded over here on this day. NEVER walk into a German grocery store on a Saturday morning! (At least not if it isn't in a major city. LOL. These close at 8 PM or something. But not the ones in small villages.)

Wow, it must be really crowded. And I thought our shops were busy.

maneth   

Ouch, sounds terrible. I'm glad things are a bit easier here, even though the big stores seem crowded at weekends anyway.

One gets used to it... somehow. But it sure is kinda shocking for people from other countries! :laugh: My mother always leaves the house at 7.45 AM on Saturdays in order to go to the grocery store (opens at 8 AM). :S:laugh:

maneth   

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd do the same, since I hate crowds. I never go to end-season sales because I can't stand being with so many people. That's why it's probably unlikely that I'll ever get to a con... :(

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd do the same, since I hate crowds. I never go to end-season sales because I can't stand being with so many people. That's why it's probably unlikely that I'll ever get to a con... :(

It is reasonable indeed. My mom is always reasonable. I'm the exact opposite sometimes. :laugh:

I can't stand being with so many people either. I've only been to one Trek convention so far and it was a horrible experience when it comes to all the people there. I only went because of Mr. Stewart, he's the only one who can make me go to such an event. I'll never do it again. I was hiding in my room for WEEKS after I returned. Too. Many. People. *SCARED* :S

maneth   

You're not alone. I went out to celebrate New Year's Eve 1999. Lots of people in the streets and I got stuck between two huge guys (at least as big as J.Frakes if not bigger) who dragged me away from my friends. Not intentionally, but the place was just so full of people that I got swept away, and I'm not small! Took a while to find them after that, and I haven't been out in such huge crowds since.

You're not alone. I went out to celebrate New Year's Eve 1999. Lots of people in the streets and I got stuck between two huge guys (at least as big as J.Frakes if not bigger) who dragged me away from my friends. Not intentionally, but the place was just so full of people that I got swept away, and I'm not small! Took a while to find them after that, and I haven't been out in such huge crowds since.

Eeew, that must've been a really horrible experience! :cry: I can totally see why you're staying away from huge crowds! I've just never been comfortable among too many people. It makes me feel... trapped. :S

maneth   

Yeah, I know. And much as I like some actors, I'm not certain I could manage to put myself through that. I do go to the movies or a rock concert occasionally, but I can no longer tolerate the idea of standing on the floor, I must get a seat. I'm okay with people around me in those situations.

Voyager   

I hate huge crowds too. Fortunately the conventions I go to are fairly small - I mean, there are a lot of people there, but they are not huge conventions that where thousands upon thousands are there. There is room to move about for the most part. manages to bare with my loathing of crowds and people so I can see actors and get sci-fi stuff because apart from one or two weekends a year, the oyster is usually my world instead the world being my oyster.

Hmm, I have a real loathing of crowds too, it must be a 'thing'. Only been to 1 convention and had a seat so wasn't too bad but getting the tube there was a horror! Although seeing all the Klingons, Borg, Andorians etc was pretty amusing. Especially when we escaped for lunch and they were all walking through Hyde Park - lol.

But really don't do crowds, I have a general dislike for people anyway (perhaps why I like aliens so much - lol) so to be near them enmass!!!!!! :huh2: Freaks me out!!

I live in a real touristy city as well, near Christmas it's a nightmare in town. Although not as bad as London, one time I was there and it was so busy I was trapped in a river of people, I was trying to get across the road but just got swept away - never again!! :S

maneth   

Sounds awful. One con I'd love to see if I could get over my agoraphobia is Dragon*Con. Mainly because it's in Atlanta and it would also give me an excuse to explore my bf's hometown when he was a kid. Although it's so huge that I'd probably be better off starting with something smaller!

Well all I can say is that I had a place to go to at the convention where it wasn't that crowded (the press room, access denied to unauthorized personnel) and I used that opportunity a LOT. So many people! It became more tolerable when I was right in the middle of the crowd because I knew I could go into that room and relax and drink some coke if I wanted to. So I guess it'd probably be more tolerable for you guys as well if you made sure you have a place where you can go to in case it gets too much for you. Helped me a great deal.

And, of course, being interested in one guest star only helped, too. I didn't have to go and get autographs. But then, it is ALWAYS dangerous to visit a convention simply because of one actor. *nod nod* I mean what if he cancels... then one has a ticket and no reason for going to the con. :huh:

maneth   

Exactly. I doubt I'd ever go to a con for one actor only, but if there are even two or three I like I might, if I only managed to bite the bullet. Having a safe retreat to go to if it really gets unbearable is crucial, though.

Exactly. I doubt I'd ever go to a con for one actor only, but if there are even two or three I like I might, if I only managed to bite the bullet. Having a safe retreat to go to if it really gets unbearable is crucial, though.

I did that once and I was incredibly lucky that he really showed up. (He rarely cancels, though, but there is always the possibility of his work interfering with convention plans.) But I would never do it again. It worked once, that's enough for me. ;)

Yup... or you can simply go outside and take a walk or something. That works quite well, too. :thumbsup2:

maneth   

Or else I can stand and hug my bf for a while. That always makes me feel better! :) The closest cons for me would probably be something in the UK or possibly FedCon in Germany.

Or else I can stand and hug my bf for a while. That always makes me feel better! :)

Well, as long as it makes you feel better I guess that would help, too, yup. ^^ Can't say much about that, though. Never been much into touching other people/letting other people touch me. ;)

maneth   

I used to be like that when I was younger, but I'm very glad I grew out of it. Not that I'm the world's most touchy-feely person now either.

I used to be like that when I was younger, but I'm very glad I grew out of it. Not that I'm the world's most touchy-feely person now either.

Doubtful I'll ever get rid of it... if anything, it's getting 'worse'. ;) But I don't really mind... I'm fine with it.

Yeah I totally dislike it if touchy-feely strangers hug me or whatever. Happened to me at that convention. I was like "I've never seen you before, I only know you as an online person on the internet - would you please stop hugging me?!" :glare: (I wish I'd not only thought but also SAID that. -.- )