Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Caretaker

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

(I was too lazy to write out the plot and details so I just copied t he text from TrekCore :P )

TITLE: Caretaker, Parts 1 and 2

EPISODE: Season 1, Episodes 1 and 2

WRITERS: Michael Piller, Jeri Taylor

DIRECTOR: Winrich Kolbe

US AIRDATE: Jan 16, 2005

STARDATE: 48315.6

While pursuing a Maquis ship lost in the Badlands, Voyager encounters a displacement wave which throws the vessel 70,000 light years from Federation space. Captain Janeway asks the Maquis for help in discovering where they are and how they got there. Upon learning that the array responsible for their unscheduled trip to the Delta Quadrant will be used to eradicate a nearby civilization, Janeway elects to destroy the technology instead of returning home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what did you think of the pilot episode of Voyager?

I love how the characters were introduced, especially Tom starting off in the penal colony. Some of my favourite scenes are the tomato soup scene, the moments between B'Elanna and 'Starfleet', Janeway and Mark's conversation and of course the Janeway's speech at the end.

The one thing I wasn't keen on was the kind of holographic farmyard characters.

I like Caretaker.

I thought this was Chakotay at his best. Clearly in charge of the Maquis (stopping Ayala from loosing his temper at Tuvok) and on the array, marching off to talk to the Caretaker without waiting for anyone.

I feel like they kinda figuratively cut off his balls after Caretaker.

I didn't care for the whole banjo thing. Otherwise, it was a great episode that started it all. Janeway was clearly in charge and maybe a bit uptight, I'm glad she relaxed (even if it was just a little bit) later on. My favorite part was the whole "we are alone" speech. Most hilarious part for me was Janeway's hair flying about (I always get a kick out of that).

I'm watching this one at the moment on Virgin1, cept it's on a break at the moment.

I agree, it was a great start to Voyager - got me hooked thats for sure (it takes alot to get me hooked on something)

Ohhh well, back to the TV! :biggrin:

For a pilot for a new star trek series i liked it,it took the show back to it roots,exploring space meeting new species,one thing they didnt used were the maquis,ok they did but only a few episodes throughout the seven year run of the show.

What an odd episode, and I couldn't make sense out of it! Old folks with banjos and picnics? Yeah, right...and you thought that "Spock's Brain" was bad.

A pretty good pilot ep. I liked how Janeway stuck to her guns and did what was right even if it meant stranding her crew in the Delta Quadrant.

What an odd episode, and I couldn't make sense out of it! Old folks with banjos and picnics? Yeah, right...and you thought that "Spock's Brain" was bad.

That's what I liked about it! It was creative.

The part that I didn't like was the ending. They don't have time bombs in the 24th century? Why couldn't they have just transported a bunch of futon torpedoes on the array that were set to go off after they used it to get home?

A pretty good pilot ep. I liked how Janeway stuck to her guns and did what was right even if it meant stranding her crew in the Delta Quadrant.

Agreed. Picard would have gone about his merry way, and left the Ocompa to be crushed. Edited by Abena

Probably the best pilot episode The Cage. :P I certainly liked it much better than either the TNG or the DS9 pilots.

Well Caretaker had it easier than other premieres as it had a great hook for a premise and an exciting one at that. Some great moments and characters - Janeway and Torres especially seemed to strike a chord - Janeway more so as the first female captain and Torres for the hybrid Klingon she was. Alas, the banjo strumming bits were a bit daft and struck me as being merely a cheap way of realising an alien environment - I at least could buy the prophets in Emissary evoking Earth scenes. Still a very good episode and a good kick start to the series - it promised a lot - alas some of the potential was squandered as we voyaged on.

I think I rated this too low. Sure the holograms are weird, but other than that it's a great episode. I change my score to a 9.

I don't really like the pilot episode of Voyager, I believe it is weaker than 'Encounter At Farpoint', 'Emmissary' and 'Broken Bow'. I just feel that the acting in this with the exception of The Doctor, Paris and Neelix was quite robotic as they were all getting used to their roles. It does get better as it goes on though, the original first offer and chief medical officer were both particularly awful. I think Janeway not using the Caretaker to get back home is pretty silly when you think about it, and I'd be well pissed off if I was a part of that crew. The barnyard/country theme was a bit too much for me to swallow for a pilot episode as well. 5 out of 10.

Edited by Dillkid

I thought this was a strong introduction to the series.

It begins very well and manages to hold my interest at least until they board the Caretaker's Array. - It dips a bit here, and I could have done without the farmyard nonsense - a suitably futuristic and possibly even surreal environment would have been more interesting I think. But fortunately this bit was relatively brief. The Ocampan planet wasn't terribly interesting either; I can never really accept the shopping mall (complete with escalators!) as an underground city.

As pilots go, this one was a good one and probably the best Trek pilot ever. Unlike other pilots, it generally had good pace throughout. The characters are all introduced nicely and each has just about the right amount of screen time I think.

The main problem I think is the final scene. Suddenly, Chakotay and his crew have all embraced Starfleet to the point of even wearing their uniforms!

And after this, as we all know, the Maquis conflict was essentially forgotten about, which was a huge mistake as it could have provided several really interesting stories.

They should have kept Chakotay and his crew separate for the first few episodes and show them slowly starting to trust each other. Some of the Maquis wouldn't have co-operated and might have tried to take over the ship (as hinted in the next episode and later played out nicely in Worst Case Scenario). As it was though, it was all far too rushed. They spent about 80 minutes establishing strong characters that would never get along well, suddenly to make them all friends in the last 5 minutes.

Caretaker itself was good because it set-up some interesting characters and the potential for some great stories. Unfortunately, the potential was squandered and all the effort in setting everything up was just thrown out of the window by about the 4th episode. (I mean, Chakotay and Janeway having a cosy chat about animal guides?!)

If only they hadn't lost the series bible after the pilot, Voyager could have been a really good series.

I gave this one a 7. Not a big VGR fan (more a DS9 man myself), but as a pilot it was OK. Set up a nice premise. And I like Janeway sticking to her starfleet guns and choosing NOT to sacrifice the Ocampa for a quicker way home. Good on her. I also liked the initial tension between the Maquis and Starfleet crews (sadly, that didn't last). I think the first hour is (by far) my favorite; the second hour gets kind of lost. I frankly got a little bored with the complexities of Klingon--er, "Kazon"/Ocampan politics and all that Caretaker mumbo jumbo (that's the sound of me, not giving a damn...). But that first hour was pretty good (until they picked up Neelix... Star Trek's Jar Jar). The last fifteen or so minutes were OK, too.

Again, not a big VGR fan, but there are about a dozen or more episodes that I still kind of enjoy.... :)

PS: And I agree with Zef'No's post above: it's as though they threw away the series bible right after the pilot and decided to just remake TNG (with occasional shortages to remind the viewer of how 'lost' they were...).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

lol at Neelix being Star Trek's Jar Jar. :P The only time I liked Neelix was in the episode Mortal Coil. Ethan Phillips proved that had he been given a GOOD script, he would have acted its pants off.

As for the topic...

It's not the best, but not the worst introduction to a Star Trek series. Like everyone else, I'm inclined to agree the show started off great...until the reached the Delta Quadrant. Then it was a bit of a bore. Of cours,e the Maquis siding with Starfleet was stupid and Janeway broke the Prime Directive by getting involved with a conflict that had nothing to do with them. In the process, she stranded her crew. I wish there had been more fall out from this but...there wasn't much of one.

lol at Neelix being Star Trek's Jar Jar. :P The only time I liked Neelix was in the episode Mortal Coil. Ethan Phillips proved that had he been given a GOOD script, he would have acted its pants off.

As for the topic...

It's not the best, but not the worst introduction to a Star Trek series. Like everyone else, I'm inclined to agree the show started off great...until the reached the Delta Quadrant. Then it was a bit of a bore. Of cours,e the Maquis siding with Starfleet was stupid and Janeway broke the Prime Directive by getting involved with a conflict that had nothing to do with them. In the process, she stranded her crew. I wish there had been more fall out from this but...there wasn't much of one.

Agreed.

As soon as they got to the Ocampa planet, my eyes began to glaze over a bit...

Okay. Hmm. I do like this - it introduces the characters well (mostly) and the premise is sound (one the rest of the series rarely lives up to). Most of my complaints are in the details; here are the ones that stick out and annoy me the most:

Comfortable Environment - of all the hundreds of worlds and thousands of cultures that must be profiled in Voyager's database, the Caretaker decides that the crew would be most at ease hundreds of years in the past in a region not exactly known for its' tolerance of diversity? Mmm-hmm.

Nucleogenic Particles - an atmosphere without nucleogenics might almost be an atmosphere without water vapour. Why bother with a perfectly reasonable explanation when you can invent a totally nonsensical one?

Trying to Procreate - why can't he just clone himself? If the Caretaker can bring ships from one end of the galaxy to the other, surely he can just make another him. Or even just call his wife back.

Battle Damage - the argument is a Voyager staple, but still: the bridge, hell, the entire ship, is smashed up not once but twice in this one episode, and yet the sets are all lovely and sparkling in the next scene. Hello, continuity? The reset button company phoned, they've left seven years' worth of the things in cargo bay two.

Anyway, stuff I liked:

- DS9's cameo, of course. Gawjuss!

- The Caretaker himself (well, the visuals of him). One of Trek's rare alien aliens, when he's not disguised as a redneck anyway.

- Nice space battles.

- The (sadly unfulfilled) potential.

I'll give "Caretaker" 6.5/10.

Okay. Hmm. I do like this - it introduces the characters well (mostly) and the premise is sound (one the rest of the series rarely lives up to). Most of my complaints are in the details; here are the ones that stick out and annoy me the most:

Comfortable Environment - of all the hundreds of worlds and thousands of cultures that must be profiled in Voyager's database, the Caretaker decides that the crew would be most at ease hundreds of years in the past in a region not exactly known for its' tolerance of diversity? Mmm-hmm.

Nucleogenic Particles - an atmosphere without nucleogenics might almost be an atmosphere without water vapour. Why bother with a perfectly reasonable explanation when you can invent a totally nonsensical one?

Trying to Procreate - why can't he just clone himself? If the Caretaker can bring ships from one end of the galaxy to the other, surely he can just make another him. Or even just call his wife back.

Battle Damage - the argument is a Voyager staple, but still: the bridge, hell, the entire ship, is smashed up not once but twice in this one episode, and yet the sets are all lovely and sparkling in the next scene. Hello, continuity? The reset button company phoned, they've left seven years' worth of the things in cargo bay two.

Anyway, stuff I liked:

- DS9's cameo, of course. Gawjuss!

- The Caretaker himself (well, the visuals of him). One of Trek's rare alien aliens, when he's not disguised as a redneck anyway.

- Nice space battles.

- The (sadly unfulfilled) potential.

I'll give "Caretaker" 6.5/10.

I give it a 5.

Stuff I liked:

* The DS9/Quark cameo. Sad when a DS9 crossover character has the best scene in the show (and a very telling bit of commentary about Starfleet's none-too-subtle racism).

* Nice introduction to the characters; Tom Paris and the EMH come off as the most interesting of the lot in the pilot episode. Liked Tom's sarcasm and wit. Too bad it doesn't last very long...

* Nice visuals. The Maquis battle in the opening teaser is great. Also loved the 'New Zealand' (aka southern California) location work.

* The odd idea of the aliens disguising as country bumpkins; . It was an intriguing novelty for about two minutes. Felt vaguely Roddenberry-weird. Faltered in execution, but an intriguing idea.

* The pacing in the first hour is good; sadly it comes to a screeching halt in the 2nd (interminable) hour.

* The Janeway/Tuvok scene. More like this, please...

What I didn't like:

All of this (pardon the wholesale theft, GD...):

And this....

* That ENDING! Just pisses me off. If Janeway's goal was to prevent the array from slipping into Klingon--er, Kazon hands, she could've left a remote detonation device AFTER she and her crew had used it to get home (!!).

* The incredibly dull 2nd half. Once they get to the Ocampa planet, it's all downhill. And yes, GD; 'nuclegenic' particles... another embarrassing bit of technobabble where a real-world substitute would've done just as nicely.

* Neelix and Kes; possibly the creepiest couple since Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn. It's not their age difference (age is largely irrelevant, IMO); it's their grotesque lack of romantic chemistry.

He acts like a creepy, overly protective uncle watching his pretty niece grow 'boobies.'

* And Kes' hair looks like a Keebler elf. Sorry, but its true. What is with ST taking beautiful women and screwing up their hair?!?

* The Klingons--er, Kazon.

Seriously. They're Klingons with bad hair days. And their social structure (Majs, tribes, etc) is simply not interesting to me in the least. We've seen anarchic gang societies done on TNG (and even DS9) many times. * yawn... *

* B'Lanna Torres.

About as lovable as a hammer cracking against my shaved skull. She's supposed to come off as a tough Klingon, but comes off as irritating and bitchy instead. She could've taken a page from Ambassador Keh'lar in TNG's "Emissary." Suzie Plakson really NAILED the half-human/half-Klingon conflict perfectly. Torres could've used a nice helping of Plakson's sarcasm and humor. Torres comes off as just mean.

* The county bumpkin alien bit went on way too long. And yes, if the point is to make humans feel at home why do they always choose archaic, outdated images from Earth's past??

If they scanned the ship and crew's minds, they could've just made a lovely garden, or a nice beach setting (or hell, even a decent airport lounge would've done nicely...). Were Voyager's crew all country folk?

* Betazed Exposition.

The Betazed pilot (woodenly acted by Alicia Coppola) rattling off Voyager's specs like Basil Exposition in an Austin Powers' movie... though without the charm of Michael York.

* Harry Kim is too green to be believable. He acts more like a midshipman than a commissioned officer. Seriously, was he home schooled?!?

I've got plenty more, but that's enough for now, me thinks... :P

The 'Seven of Nine years' was when the show picked up for me (and even then, only marginally).

Edit: I changed my original vote (from a 7 to a current 5). Last time I tried to watch it a couple of months ago, I realized just how much I didn't like it...

I just re-watched this episode. I'm not so sure anymore that Janeway could have maintained control of the array long enough to pull off a remote detonation trick. There was a battle going on for control of it when she blew it up.

One thing that strikes me is that if the Caretaker can pull ships from vast distances, wouldn't they also have the technology to bring water back to the planet? Did the particles prevent water from lasting on the surface?

I think the first hour was very good, aside from the wooden acting from the Betazoid woman. The second hour wasn't quite as interesting, simply because the Ocampa aren't really that interesting to explore, just telepathic Humanoids with funny ears and mall escalators. Seriously, that mall escalator defies suspension of disbelief.

I give this pilot a 7/10, 8/10 in the first hour, 6/10 in the second hour.

I just re-watched this episode. I'm not so sure anymore that Janeway could have maintained control of the array long enough to pull off a remote detonation trick. There was a battle going on for control of it when she blew it up.

One thing that strikes me is that if the Caretaker can pull ships from vast distances, wouldn't they also have the technology to bring water back to the planet? Did the particles prevent water from lasting on the surface?

I think the first hour was very good, aside from the wooden acting from the Betazoid woman. The second hour wasn't quite as interesting, simply because the Ocampa aren't really that interesting to explore, just telepathic Humanoids with funny ears and mall escalators. Seriously, that mall escalator defies suspension of disbelief.

I give this pilot a 7/10, 8/10 in the first hour, 6/10 in the second hour.

The 'underground city' of the Ocampa was all-too easily recognizable to me as the L.A. Convention Center; it kind of popped me out of the show a bit as I'd been there a couple times before I saw that episode (though sadly not for any scifi conventions... yet).  

Sign in to follow this