maneth

Shadowplay

Episode Name: Shadowplay

Episode Number: 15

Production Number: 435

Season: 2

Director: Robert Scheerer

---

Odo and Jax try to solve the mystery of a planet whose population is disappearing without explanation. They are not who they think they are.

One of the worst DS9 eps. The little girl in the ep was played by Noley Thornton who previously portrayed a little kids 'imaginary friend' in the TNG ep of the same name---its a small universe after all.

It was great to see an episode with Odo and Jadzia together as they don't usually get many scenes together.

Just re-watched this one... I've always liked it a LOT because it's a very TNG-ish episode. (I can't help it, TNG is my favorite.) I love the subject of holograms and holographic self-awareness and all, and I really the idea of having an entire holographic village. And this time they didn't cut out important ethical discussions of what was happening. I approve.

Also, this episode features a lot of Odo, which is always a good thing. I still find it scary in a way how much I can relate to his inability to be moved by useless station gossip that Dax tries to tell him at the beginning of the episode because he doesn't understand the humanoid idea of romantic relationships. Also, I love his friendship with the little holographic girl.

I also really like this episode's two subplots (it's amazing how much stuff they managed to get into this episode!), especially the one with Jake. I've always liked Jake because he isn't a Starfleet kid like the Crusher brat. I also love that he, like me, is a writer. Okay he's a professional writer and I'm a fan fic writer, but artist is artist, and it's always wonderful to see fellow artists on Trek. I find him much more relatable than Wesley, I sure as hell wouldn't want to join Starfleet either. It's not that I disagree with Starfleet or anything, I just couldn't see myself in such a uniform. The mere thought! (I do have a TNG uniform shirt and whenever I put it on I'm scared, lol.) I think it's wonderful that they made Jake so uninterested in Starfleet. It gives those VERY few Trek fans who wouldn't mind living with Starfleet officers but would never want to actually BE one something to relate to.

Also, the Kira vs. Quark plot, lmfao. (Did it HAVE to have Bareil from Snoreville, though? Ugh.) I love how she figures out that Quark is behind everything, lol. I still don't get what she wants with that douchebag Bareil, though. But then, to each their own I guess. :P

This episode really is one of my favorites, I can't help it, it gets a 9/10.

The favorite quote award for this episode goes to Kira, for her "I liked everything about it - except the content" line about Bareil's speech. looool!

Just re-watched this one... I've always liked it a LOT because it's a very TNG-ish episode. (I can't help it, TNG is my favorite.) I love the subject of holograms and holographic self-awareness and all, and I really the idea of having an entire holographic village. And this time they didn't cut out important ethical discussions of what was happening. I approve.

Also, this episode features a lot of Odo, which is always a good thing. I still find it scary in a way how much I can relate to his inability to be moved by useless station gossip that Dax tries to tell him at the beginning of the episode because he doesn't understand the humanoid idea of romantic relationships. Also, I love his friendship with the little holographic girl.

I also really like this episode's two subplots (it's amazing how much stuff they managed to get into this episode!), especially the one with Jake. I've always liked Jake because he isn't a Starfleet kid like the Crusher brat. I also love that he, like me, is a writer. Okay he's a professional writer and I'm a fan fic writer, but artist is artist, and it's always wonderful to see fellow artists on Trek. I find him much more relatable than Wesley, I sure as hell wouldn't want to join Starfleet either. It's not that I disagree with Starfleet or anything, I just couldn't see myself in such a uniform. The mere thought! (I do have a TNG uniform shirt and whenever I put it on I'm scared, lol.) I think it's wonderful that they made Jake so uninterested in Starfleet. It gives those VERY few Trek fans who wouldn't mind living with Starfleet officers but would never want to actually BE one something to relate to.

Also, the Kira vs. Quark plot, lmfao. (Did it HAVE to have Bareil from Snoreville, though? Ugh.) I love how she figures out that Quark is behind everything, lol. I still don't get what she wants with that douchebag Bareil, though. But then, to each their own I guess. :P

This episode really is one of my favorites, I can't help it, it gets a 9/10.

The favorite quote award for this episode goes to Kira, for her "I liked everything about it - except the content" line about Bareil's speech. looool!

Not one of my favorites; I give it a 7.

The little girl was cute. I think she was also "Clara" in TNG's goddawful "Imaginary Friend." Too bad ENT totally stole this story 10 years later (the ENT episode that had Rene Auberjonois and the 'ghost ship'.... utter nonsense). And this one really does feel like a recycled TNG; not a bad one, but once you know the 'mystery' it's really not all that interesting, sadly....

Bareil from Snoreville

ROTFLMAO! :laugh:

Yeah she's the brat from that TNG episode... amazing that she ISN'T one in this episode, lol. I can't help it, the TNG undertones are precisely why I like this episode, it would have worked as a TNG one, too.

I can't take credit for "Bareil from Snoreville", I didn't create that nickname but I love it so much that I use it whenever possible. It's so accurate. :P

Yeah she's the brat from that TNG episode... amazing that she ISN'T one in this episode, lol. I can't help it, the TNG undertones are precisely why I like this episode, it would have worked as a TNG one, too.

I can't take credit for "Bareil from Snoreville", I didn't create that nickname but I love it so much that I use it whenever possible. It's so accurate. :P

Bariel was about as exciting as a bowl of soggy breakfast cereal in room temperature milk. :thumbdown: How he could be with a fiery, spicy, snappy woman like Kira is beyond me. I saw the actor (Philip Arngrim) in a really good stage production of "The Elephant Man" once, back in the early '80s (he played the role sans makeup), so I know he can do better than the flat, dull line deliveries he did on the show. Very disappointing....

And yes, the little girl was the same brat (shame on you, Mr. Picard.... <ahttp://theomegasector.com/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png' alt=':laugh:'> :P ), that kid was on a roll back in the '90s too; in fact, I got so curious I IMDB'd her: her name was Noley Thornton http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861572/?ref_=tt_cl_t9 and apparently she was also on "Beverly Hills, 90210" (talk about science fiction!) and a remake of the movie, "Heidi." Apparently she dropped out of acting at age 15 or so. Shame; she was a natural, IMO. She'd be nearly 30 now.

noley_thornton12.jpg

She was such a cute kid. (Cue sounds of "Awwwwwww.....") :giggle:

Bareil isn't a character, he's a walking sleeping pill. I also don't get what Kira wants with him, HONESTLY, it just doesn't FIT. I can't stand Odo/Kira as a pairing but Odo is at least not boring. Kira has a history of dating douchebags (kinda like Troi), though, that Shakaar dude wasn't ANY better if you ask me, lol.

Yeah I knew about the Heidi thing, it was on TV over here recently and I was like WAIT I know that face, lol. Yeah she did a good job in both Trek episodes, it's not her fault that the TNG one required of her to play such a brat. ;)

Bareil isn't a character, he's a walking sleeping pill. I also don't get what Kira wants with him, HONESTLY, it just doesn't FIT. I can't stand Odo/Kira as a pairing but Odo is at least not boring. Kira has a history of dating douchebags (kinda like Troi), though, that Shakaar dude wasn't ANY better if you ask me, lol.

Shakar was equally dull. One minute he was this brash rebel guy and the next he's boring prime minister (the 4th season episode, "Crossfire" even mentions how his character changed in that way). Maybe Kira has so much spirit and personality that she wants a nice 'type-B' to come home to? I've seen that work many times.

I know that one well, too... I mean Jean-Luc surely is the calmer one of us, but really, there IS such a thing as a TOO calm guy, lol. Kira does need someone to calm her down every once in a while but Odo works well in that regard without being a douche like Bareil and Shakaar, so... ah, what do I know lol

I know that one well, too... I mean Jean-Luc surely is the calmer one of us, but really, there IS such a thing as a TOO calm guy, lol. Kira does need someone to calm her down every once in a while but Odo works well in that regard without being a douche like Bareil and Shakaar, so... ah, what do I know lol

Maybe for Kira, being bored to tears is a turn on.... :laugh:

Maybe for Kira, being bored to tears is a turn on.... :laugh:/>

Somehow I doubt that but hey who am I to assume anything, lol!

Maybe for Kira, being bored to tears is a turn on.... :laugh:/>

Somehow I doubt that but hey who am I to assume anything, lol!

Or maybe Bereil looks really great in speedos.... :P

Watched it today, I liked the episode, not a favourite but still enjoyable. Quark thinks when Odo is gone he can scheme his heart out. Shame we did not see more of Bashir accepting Kira's request to spy on Quark, could have been fun. Also liked the Jake's situation, he was really having trouble telling his dad he did not want to join Starfleet, while his father just want him to be happy. I really usually don't like kids in Trek but Jake has been the exception from the start for me.

7/10

shadowplay_178.jpg

Edited by MS1-DS9-Fan

Watched it today, I liked the episode, not a favourite but still enjoyable. Quark think when Odo is gone he can scheme his heart out. Shame we did not see more of Bashir accepting Kira's request to spy on Quark, could have been fun. Also liked the Jake's situation, he was really having trouble telling his dad he did not want to join Starfleet, while his father just want him to be happy. I really usually don't like kids in Trek but Jake has been the exception from the start for me.

7/10

shadowplay_178.jpg

Jake is the closest to real teenagers as I've ever seen in ST.

Just finished this episode. Not a terrible one, but rather slow. This episode was, to be fair, a focus on character development. Odo's, Jake's, Kira's. In that regard - it did succeed.

For Kira - her (to me) uninteresting relationship with Bareil. An aspect I find interesting is .... the Bajoran religious order seems to be loosely based off of the Roman Catholic Church. I wonder if Bareil being in a relationship is "scandalous" or the vedeks can marry and have relationships? I don't know. We don't really get much in that regard. This episode was just for them to share a kiss. I do love Quark's nefarious plot to distract her. Seems like him working with his cousin (Gaila?) would have been the better focus. I also love that when Odo is away - Kira makes sure to be on Quark's ass. Haha. I wonder if Odo asked her to do that?

For Jake - I really enjoyed this subplot. One thing DS9 was so good at was showing the average life of civilians. It is interesting to see not all humans want to join Starfleet. And it was a really nice father/son moment when Sisko did not explode in anger but rather understood Jake's desire to carve his own path in life. Rather than simply being Ben Sisko part 2. Plus, this episode started the path for Jake to become a writer.

Odo/Dax - The plot here was interesting. It was good for character growth with Odo. Having been rewatching the old seasons of DS9 - it's clear why Odo starts off so strict and stand-offish. No one was ever really his friend in the old days. They either used him for entertainment (Cardassian neck trick), used him for his ability to be intuitive (Dukat), or saw him as a fascinating specimen (Mora). Kira was probably his first true friend and that relationship was strained when she admitted she lied to him in the past about that murder. When he meets the little girl and she genuinely likes Odo - you could tell he was moved by it. His final moment of shape-shifting for her was nice because you can tell it's a big deal for him to do that for someone.

We get another mention of the ominous "Dominion". Which I obviously loved. The fact that their world is under brutal occupation made me think of how the little girl told Odo they have "scary stories" of Changelings. I wonder if their superstition and mythology was largely influenced by the presence of the Founders. Seems like this quiet, agrarian species may have gotten a visit from the Founders and not just a Vorta supervisor?

I did notice a minor plot hole (maybe not one?) - but the "protector" (their equivalent to a sheriff I guess) reacted in shock when Odo showed him transporters. He beams from the building and returns to show him that he could leave anytime he wanted to. The "protector" reacts in shock and is like "where did he go!?" as if he never saw a transporter before. Than, literally moments later, Jadzia and Odo ask if he tried searching for the missing villagers by scanning for transport signatures. He then replies that it was the first thing he tried.... So if he knew of transporters - why did he react in such confusion and shock when Odo beamed away?

I chalk that up to his program malfunctioning. :P

All in all - this was a nice episode and I loved how Odo actually saw the holograms as real people. When the village leader resigned himself to them being gone. Odo gave a rather impassioned plea not to give up on them and how they are just real as anyone else. The poor EMH on VOY could have used Odo during his trial for sentience.

7/10.

Sign in to follow this