maneth

Whispers

Episode Name: Whispers

Episode Number: 14

Production Number: 434

Season: 2

Director: Les Landau

---

After a security mission, O'Brien finds that things have changed on the station. Everyone seems to be against him. And for a good cause, it turns out.

Brilliant BRILLIANT episode!!!!!! 10/10!! All the episodes that are O'Brien centred are great, course he's an excellent actor, but he always gets such dark scripts too. I just love this episode. You really get that sense of being the outsider in it, something is going on and you're not in on it. An almost going crazy feeling cause he's the only normal one left (like the end of the Bodysnatchers).

I felt sorry for him at the end, OK, it wasn't really him, but he thought he was, he felt the same. This disregard for clones is quite tasteless really, they are practically the same person, same feelings. I thought the way O'Brien looked at him as a curiosity rather than a person wasn't very nice, but I suppose it was very weird to be looking at himself like that.

Must have been disturbing for Keiko as well living with a stranger, who didn't know he was a stranger. She didn't do a great job but you can't blame her really.

Amazing acting! I disagree about clones, btw, they're no more the same person than identical twins are. In this case it's a bit different, since the fake O'Brien shared the real one's memory, and genuinely thought he was Miles.

What I mean is, they're not just some object, they are real feeling thinking beings. Not something to do just poke and prod and think 'Oh well' when they die. That's just how they seem to get treated, or maybe I'm biased as I love O'Brien and I just felt sorry for the fake.

Mind you, on another episode, you know the one where he jumps about in time? And in the end it's a different O'Brien that survives, that's kind of weird. I know it's the same bloke but somehow it feels like it's not. :rolleyes:

I thought the treatment of the clone was rather clinical as well- especially in light of the fact that we ( the viewers ) saw the clone's point of view and saw that he genuinely believed he was what he thought he was.

Likewise, in another episode, an alternate O'Brien replaced the current universe's O'Brien as if there was no difference and we are forced to assume that there is no difference- yet just about every mirror universe episode I've seen always shows massive differences.

Come to think of it, I saw a Voyager episode not to long back where Harry Kim was replaced by an alternate version and he himself expressed a question of 'should I feel weird about this' ?

The Trek people tend to be very casual about anything outside of the standard time/space continuum (if that's what it's called).

Good acting tho- Colm Meaney is way underrated.

Yeah I love that other episode too, I love any that are centred on Miles really - lol. I thought it would be weird to have a Miles from a different time as well, it was that one where he kept jumping back and forth in time wasn't it? And the present self was killed but a future self took his place? (From what I remember, haven't watched much trek in a long time :blush: ). If I was Keiko I'd be freaked out to be honest.

Ah an O'brien in distress episode. I absolutely love these episodes. He always gets the worst things happening to him. Felt really sorry for clone'brien though.

I watched this episode last night - and I loved it!!! Even Keiko was somewhat tolerable for a change... the creepy look on her face when she waited for Clone!O'Brien to eat was seriously scary, though. LOL.

I was like "poor O'Brien" all through the episode and then at the end I was like :shock: :shock: :shock: !!! Great episode, really.

Totally gets a 9/10 from me. :thumbsup2:

I thought the treatment of the clone was rather clinical as well- especially in light of the fact that we ( the viewers ) saw the clone's point of view and saw that he genuinely believed he was what he thought he was.

I agree.

I really loved this episode, but the end was a big let down for me. The clone was treated as if it had no rights. I also thought that they tied it up all too quickly; they just sort of tagged an explanation on about Miles being cloned and then ended. It needed more.

I think this episode should've been a two-part episode. DS9 has plenty of that, one more wouldn't have made a difference. The ending is too rushed indeed, at least for my taste, I'm more used to having moral debates about the clone and his rights. I would've liked it if the second one of the two-episode-thing I'm imagining had dealt with the clone and his rights and with the real O'Brien struggling with his presence. (Kinda like TNG's "Second Chances" with Riker, but with a different undertone since O'Brien was the result of a deliberate cloning attempt and Thomas Riker was the result of a transporter accident.)

Aside from that, the episode really is brilliantly done. One really feels for O'Brien (the clone, anyway) when he thinks that everyone around him is acting weird (I love how we only learn at the end of the episode that HE is actually the "weird" one). I also love how he tries to pull first Jake and then Odo on his side and then it turns out that neither of them really is. Aaah, very well done.

Also, am I mistaken or is this yet ANOTHER episode from the "Miles O'Brien must suffer" collection? lol (I seem to recall DS9 fans saying that there is a pattern in how the writers treat poor Miles O'Brien, lol.)

This one definitely gets an 8/10 from me.

No favorite quote, but I love the moment in which the dying clone tells the real Miles O'Brien to tell Keiko that he loves her. I know I'm not into romantic things but there are exceptions from this rule, even if they are rare.

This one gets a 10 from me. :thumbup:

One of the somewhat rare early season 10s.

It's right up there with the best of the paranoid mind-f**k books of Philip K Dick. And the ending is almost Hitchcock in its perfection. This is just an amazing story; extremely well-executed. And I love the look on Keiko's face when she and Miles are eating dinner together. The uncomfortable closeups are wonderfully unnerving.

But yes, I do agree; Miles has had a pretty crappy life since he came to the station, hasn't he? But at least it hasn't been boring (sure beats fiddling with Heisenberg compensators in the Enterprise transporter room, doesn't it?). ;):P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I actually think he LIKED fiddling with the transporters on the Enterprise. He even had a favorite transporter room, after all, so, he WAS quite attached to his work there. ;) Life aboard that ship surely was a lot more calm... except for when his wife was turned into a child or taken hostage by a possessed Troi AND himself. Or when he had to stop his former commanding officer from continuing his merry "Teh Cardassians suck and Imma prove it, board their ship, Picard" rampage... ;)

I actually think he LIKED fiddling with the transporters on the Enterprise. He even had a favorite transporter room, after all, so, he WAS quite attached to his work there. ;) Life aboard that ship surely was a lot more calm... except for when his wife was turned into a child or taken hostage by a possessed Troi AND himself. Or when he had to stop his former commanding officer from continuing his merry "Teh Cardassians suck and Imma prove it, board their ship, Picard" rampage... ;)

Think O'Brien just has bad luck wherever he is.... he puts to rest the myth of Irish luck. :laugh:

(Although my wife is Irish/Scotch and she is ridiculously lucky sometimes.... that is, until she met me! :giggle::P ).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Watched it just now, love it, is one of my favourite season 2 episodes. Colm Meaney is such a great actor. Everybody conspriring against him, not able to trust anyone, even Odo, after he probably has been briefed by Sisko. I can't remember how I watched this on the first run 20 years ago but I think I must have been amazed!

8.5/10

I just love this episode.

When I saw it for the first time in 1994, it was the first DS9 episode that made me truly think "I love this series just as much as TNG". And the series even became better later.

I just love this episode.

When I saw it for the first time in 1994, it was the first DS9 episode that made me truly think "I love this series just as much as TNG". And the series even became better later.

It reminds me of one of the best paranoid fantasies of Philip K Dick; in fact, it very much feels like a PKD story....

Great episode. This is actually a great stand alone (although I agree that the ending was really rushed).

The tone/atmosphere was so on point. You genuinely felt how the O'Brien clone felt. Trapped. Isolated. Confused. Worried. The build up was fantastic and I enjoyed how it was told from the point of view of his log. Colm Meany is so good at carrying an episode by himself. Later on in the seasons - the entire cast becomes good at it, but he was solid since season 1 (IMO).

.... and then the conclusion .... BOOM. What a reveal. Sehlat Vie is quite right in saying it has that classic horror feel to it. This almost could have been an episode of Tales From the Crypt, Outer Limits, or Twilight Zone. Really disturbing for Star Trek.

I will say that I find some aspects odd. Why did they let the clone wander around the station? I know at the end they explain they weren't 100% sure if the Paradrans had really kidnapped O'Brien but ... you'd think to be safe - they'd arrest the clone first and try to sort it out. Instead of forcing his wife and young daughter to live with a (potentially)  pre-programmed assassin... But I guess there wouldn't be an episode if they had played it smart. :P

I will say this - the episode had the potential of being a copy of TNG's "The Mind Eye". Starfleet officer kidnapped and turned into an assassin to disrupt a peace between the Federation and an alien power. I am glad DS9 switched it up with the clone angle to make it unqiue.

*Realizes this is yet another episode about an alien species that kidnapped a Starfleet officer and Starfleet Command does anything about it - - - - *

giphy.gif

The ending was pretty sad and I do feel like he went from being a human being to an "it" that they talked about while he slowly laid there dying. The morbid side of me wondered if they had a funeral for him or simply left his corpse to be disposed of by the aliens....

10/10 episode.

On 4/7/2013 at 5:19 AM, Mr.Picard said:

IAlso, am I mistaken or is this yet ANOTHER episode from the "Miles O'Brien must suffer" collection? lol (I seem to recall DS9 fans saying that there is a pattern in how the writers treat poor Miles O'Brien, lol.)

Hah! Yes. In fact, I think this is the beginning of them. I can't recall any in season 1 .... ?

On 4/7/2013 at 10:26 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

It's right up there with the best of the paranoid mind-f**k books of Philip K Dick. And the ending is almost Hitchcock in its perfection. This is just an amazing story; extremely well-executed. And I love the look on Keiko's face when she and Miles are eating dinner together. The uncomfortable closeups are wonderfully unnerving.

I couldn't agree more.

Sign in to follow this