maneth

Armageddon Game

Episode Name: Armageddon Game

Episode Number: 13

Production Number: 433

Season: 2

Director: Winrich Kolbe

---

Bashir and O'Brien work to rid two alien races who have made peace after centuries of war of their most dangerous weapon. Little do they know that there's a plot to assassinate everyone who knows anything about those weapons.

their deception was mind-blowing. all i can say is thank God for Keiko's attention to small details!

loved the trick with the spare runabout too!

Watched this episode last night... loved the O'Brien/Bashir scenes (of course! *grin*) and the Kira/Dax scene with Quark... but the ending was a bit lame. They just let them escape...? :dontgetit:

And heeey, Keiko can actually be useful! I was really surprised. ;)

I'd give this episode a 6/10.

I liked the plot of this one. This is where the Bashir/O'Brien friendship really takes off. I gave it a 10.

I loved the end of this episode where we discover O'Brien does have coffee in the afternoon lol. The people's entire plan was ruined because Keiko doesn't know her husband as well as she thoughtgiggle.gif

I believe this was the true Bashir/O'Brien bonding moment as friends. Props to Keiko for noticing the small details, and it's nice to see her be very concerned about Miles.

Re-watched this one yesterday... I still think it's lame that they just let Sisko and the others escape. On the other hand, maybe they realized that going after the runabout would take them to Deep Space Nine and that it maybe wouldn't be wise to start a war with the Federation, especially not after just having had one hell of a brutal war among themselves. That being said, this one isn't one of my favorites. I don't think it's bad either, it's just nothing REALLY outstanding.

I do like Keiko in this episode (shock!), I like how calmly she takes the news of her husband's apparent death and I also like how she's the one who notices that something's not right. (I would know EXACTLY when Jean-Luc drinks his tea, though. :P) So, nicely done for a change, Keiko.

And then there's the whole Bashir/O'Brien thing on the planet. Really, though, Bashir... telling O'Brien that it's no secret that his marriage isn't the best one on Deep Space Nine isn't going to make him your friend, lol. Also, the whole "I think about women a lot" thing was completely unnecessary. But that's just me, maybe. We GET it that Bashir is TRYING to be a womanizer. We don't need to be told at every possible opportunity. Sigh. Aside from that, the scenes with those two are really great and also some very good acting there.

This episode gets a 6/10. It's not one of my favorites, like I said.

The favorite moment (no quote this time) goes to Quark when he gives his "they were good customers" speech. SO Ferengi.

Re-watched this one yesterday... I still think it's lame that they just let Sisko and the others escape. On the other hand, maybe they realized that going after the runabout would take them to Deep Space Nine and that it maybe wouldn't be wise to start a war with the Federation, especially not after just having had one hell of a brutal war among themselves. That being said, this one isn't one of my favorites. I don't think it's bad either, it's just nothing REALLY outstanding.

I do like Keiko in this episode (shock!), I like how calmly she takes the news of her husband's apparent death and I also like how she's the one who notices that something's not right. (I would know EXACTLY when Jean-Luc drinks his tea, though. :P) So, nicely done for a change, Keiko.

And then there's the whole Bashir/O'Brien thing on the planet. Really, though, Bashir... telling O'Brien that it's no secret that his marriage isn't the best one on Deep Space Nine isn't going to make him your friend, lol. Also, the whole "I think about women a lot" thing was completely unnecessary. But that's just me, maybe. We GET it that Bashir is TRYING to be a womanizer. We don't need to be told at every possible opportunity. Sigh. Aside from that, the scenes with those two are really great and also some very good acting there.

This episode gets a 6/10. It's not one of my favorites, like I said.

The favorite moment (no quote this time) goes to Quark when he gives his "they were good customers" speech. SO Ferengi.

"Armageddon Game" was a so-so episode; significant only because it was sort of the 'ground zero' for the Miles/Julian bromance (IMO, one of the most realistic depictions of genuine male friendship on ST).

And yes, Quark's uber-capitalistic epitaph made me chuckle, too. It's right up there with the Ferengi children's book he read to Nog when he was a baby, "See Brock acquire. Acquire Brock, acquire!" I love all the subtle ways DS9 truly enriched Ferengi culture, and actually the former comic foils on a par with the Klingons and the Vulcans.

But overall, AG is a 6 for me too. DS9 really didn't sprout wings and fly until S3 for me (much like TNG). There were good episodes now and then, but consistency was an issue.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I tend to put a bit more into the O'Brien/Bashir friendship from time to time (especially when O'Brien admits at some point that he prefers spending time with Bashir over spending time with Keiko - I can't blame him, but still, lol), but they're not one of my main DS9 slash pairings because, like you said, a lot of emphasis is put on the fact that they are friends. Now, Garak and Bashir, that... erm... relationship is certainly different. :D I just like to think of O'Brien/Bashir as somewhere between friends and a couple but more tending towards friends.

Quark is totally becoming one of my favorite DS9 characters. I've never been fond of the Ferengi as a species (I can't help it) but Quark definitely is the exception from the rule because... well, he's Quark. ;) He definitely saves this episode from a worse rating IMO... in one single scene, lol.

I tend to put a bit more into the O'Brien/Bashir friendship from time to time (especially when O'Brien admits at some point that he prefers spending time with Bashir over spending time with Keiko - I can't blame him, but still, lol), but they're not one of my main DS9 slash pairings because, like you said, a lot of emphasis is put on the fact that they are friends. Now, Garak and Bashir, that... erm... relationship is certainly different. :D I just like to think of O'Brien/Bashir as somewhere between friends and a couple but more tending towards friends.

Quark is totally becoming one of my favorite DS9 characters. I've never been fond of the Ferengi as a species (I can't help it) but Quark definitely is the exception from the rule because... well, he's Quark. ;) He definitely saves this episode from a worse rating IMO... in one single scene, lol.

If I were married to that whining pain in the butt Keiko? I'd move in with Bashir; friend, lover or whatever.... :laugh:

Thank goodness my wife is nowhere near the level of annoying that Keiko is. Even his daughter Molly is a brat ( when Miles asks her if 'daddy can color with her too?', she says "No! I'm coloring!" Little creep.... :P ).

And Garak and Bashir; well, that's pretty obvious to anyone with eyes, ears and a nervous system, I think... ;)

And yes, Quark is hilarious and I just love him.

Meeting Armin Shimerman was so cool. It's just disappointing that his lobes were so small in person. :P He told me the makeup took two hours every morning, and that (ironically) once it was on, he couldn't hear a thing. He was a nice guy (so was his 'nemesis,' Rene Auberjonois).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I agree 100% with what you said about Keiko. Only difference is that I wouldn't have married her in the first place. That fuss she makes about the wedding in "Data's Day"? She wouldn't have gotten away with a stunt like that with me. It's either yes or no, and not I don't want to, no, wait, I want to... oh for crying out loud! lol I'm not surprised about Molly being a brat either - with THAT kind of mother... ugh. If I were O'Brien I'd file for a divorce ASAP. I mean the poor guy can't do ANYTHING right! I understand completely why he prefers Bashir's company.

Haha I've never heard anyone saying anything bad about either Rene or Armin... I saw Rene myself in 2004 and he really seemed to be a nice fellow, he really took his time with the fans who came for an autograph. :)

I agree 100% with what you said about Keiko. Only difference is that I wouldn't have married her in the first place. That fuss she makes about the wedding in "Data's Day"? She wouldn't have gotten away with a stunt like that with me. It's either yes or no, and not I don't want to, no, wait, I want to... oh for crying out loud! lol I'm not surprised about Molly being a brat either - with THAT kind of mother... ugh. If I were O'Brien I'd file for a divorce ASAP. I mean the poor guy can't do ANYTHING right! I understand completely why he prefers Bashir's company.

Keiko was written as kind of the stereotypical 'nagging' wife; I think the actress Rosalind Chao (who was excellent in the last season of the TV show, MASH and "The Joy Luck Club") was done a bit of a disservice, really. But all the same, Keiko (the character) would probably be enough to push me into divorce as well. All that drama she pulled before the wedding in "Data's Day" was a dead giveaway. That would've probably been the time I would've seriously reexamined what I was getting into if I were Miles. I'm lucky in that I have a wife with an extremely LOW 'drama' quotient.... ;):thumbup:

Haha I've never heard anyone saying anything bad about either Rene or Armin... I saw Rene myself in 2004 and he really seemed to be a nice fellow, he really took his time with the fans who came for an autograph. :)

Both men were very patient with all their fans (my own nerdy self included). :angel_not:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

It really is a shame that DS9 never did anything to try and improve Keiko as a character. There sure would've been plenty of opportunity. (I've already accepted the fact that TNG couldn't take another route, the writers were simply TOO stuck on their female-stereotype-planet, it's embarrassing.) She could've been so much more, they really could've showed what it's like to be married to a Starfleet officer, with all the ups and downs... instead of doing THAT, they made her into a nagging HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!!!!/MILES EDWARD O'BRIEN!!!! - Stella/Keiko. (I really hate how she whines "MIIIILES!")

She constantly whines at him for dragging her along to that dull place called DS9 and for wanting Molly to grow up there. She had no such concerns with the Enterprise although THAT one was certainly a lot more dangerous, DS9 at least didn't visit basically every dangerous corner of the galaxy. Instead of trying to find something to do as a botanist (like I said, Bajor sure could've used a few after all these occupation years) she pouts and waits for her husband to do something. All she does is whine at him for being in Starfleet (is the basic undertone) - it's not as if she didn't know that he's a career officer. You either ACCEPT this or you DON'T, the worst thing one can do is to try and put yourself between your husband and his duty. It only makes things so much harder for everyone involved. I'm not saying she should've been a quiet and docile housewife who never complains, quite the contrary, but the WAY she voices her discomfort and the way in which she tries to make O'Brien feel guilty for being in Starfleet is just NO and it riles me up every single time. Like I said, he never should've married her in the first place, not after the drama she pulled before the wedding already. Gah, lol.

It really is a shame that DS9 never did anything to try and improve Keiko as a character. There sure would've been plenty of opportunity. (I've already accepted the fact that TNG couldn't take another route, the writers were simply TOO stuck on their female-stereotype-planet, it's embarrassing.) She could've been so much more, they really could've showed what it's like to be married to a Starfleet officer, with all the ups and downs... instead of doing THAT, they made her into a nagging HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!!!!/MILES EDWARD O'BRIEN!!!! - Stella/Keiko. (I really hate how she whines "MIIIILES!")

She constantly whines at him for dragging her along to that dull place called DS9 and for wanting Molly to grow up there. She had no such concerns with the Enterprise although THAT one was certainly a lot more dangerous, DS9 at least didn't visit basically every dangerous corner of the galaxy. Instead of trying to find something to do as a botanist (like I said, Bajor sure could've used a few after all these occupation years) she pouts and waits for her husband to do something. All she does is whine at him for being in Starfleet (is the basic undertone) - it's not as if she didn't know that he's a career officer. You either ACCEPT this or you DON'T, the worst thing one can do is to try and put yourself between your husband and his duty. It only makes things so much harder for everyone involved. I'm not saying she should've been a quiet and docile housewife who never complains, quite the contrary, but the WAY she voices her discomfort and the way in which she tries to make O'Brien feel guilty for being in Starfleet is just NO and it riles me up every single time. Like I said, he never should've married her in the first place, not after the drama she pulled before the wedding already. Gah, lol.

In the 1st season episode "In the Hands of the Prophets", O'Brien was starting to flirt with his pretty young Bajoran assistant. Miles seemed REALLY tempted. I'd bet that was one time where he sincerely wished Keiko were on one of her 6-month excursions to Bajor.... ;)

And yes, her flat nasally "Miiiiiyyyyullllzzz" would've driven me to the nearest airlock (she turned the name "Miles" into 3 syllables, so help me)....

It really is a shame that DS9 never did anything to try and improve Keiko as a character.

The Assignment is by far Keiko's finest hour, but it probably doesn't count because she's actually possessed by a Pah-Wraith at the time ;)

In the 1st season episode "In the Hands of the Prophets", O'Brien was starting to flirt with his pretty young Bajoran assistant. Miles seemed REALLY tempted.

He seemed a lot more tempted when he was flirting with Major Kira!

(Looking for Par'Mak in all the Wrong Places)

It really is a shame that DS9 never did anything to try and improve Keiko as a character.

The Assignment is by far Keiko's finest hour, but it probably doesn't count because she's actually possessed by a Pah-Wraith at the time ;)

In the 1st season episode "In the Hands of the Prophets", O'Brien was starting to flirt with his pretty young Bajoran assistant. Miles seemed REALLY tempted.

He seemed a lot more tempted when he was flirting with Major Kira!

(Looking for Par'Mak in all the Wrong Places)

LOL about the Keiko 'pah-wraith' comment. :laugh:

Rosalind Chao is a good actress; I've seen her do better. I think much of Keiko's annoyance was due to the writing. She was written as a complaining b!tch half the time; always complaining to Miles about something; as if Miles' life has been nothing but strawberries and whipped cream....

As for O'Brien and Kira? I think Kira was flirting with him more than he was with her; but nevertheless, I think Kira would be a bit too much for Miles. Too intense...

I loved O'Brien's comment to that Cardassian woman in Destiny.

"I'm not remotely interested in you!"

Sorry, that just entered my head :P

Liked the episode, friendship between O'Brien and Bashir takes off, Sisko is going to investigate the incident on an incorrect assumption of Keiko, that cracks me up!

7/10

So I just rewatched this episode. Really great mostly because of Miles/Bashir. Although, to me, the beginning of their bromance was in "The Storyteller". But this episode definitely ratched it up a notch. I love that considering I love their friendship. It equals Kirk/Spock for me.

I found certain details really interesting:

1) Bashir mentions a ballerina that was the first woman he fell in love with. Her father offered him a "job" at his hospital in Paris. Note the word "job". I thought on Earth money didn't exist and people don't work in the traditional way? I never got the vibe that Joseph Sisko's "job" was running his restaurant or Picard's brother's "job" was making wine. I got the vibe they wanted to do that because they loved it. Was job just a poor choice of word or do people work on Earth? (Outside of Starfleet). Sorry, but I think about these things.

2) Bashir mentions engineering extension courses. He mentions this again in a later episode. Good continuity.

3) I'm surprised Odo wasn't given a bigger role. He seemed suspicious about the details of their "deaths" but then he just accepts it. I guess because the previous episode was all about Odo - they didn't want to give him a larger role? I don't know. Seemed out of character. Although, I do appreciate that it wasn't Odo figuring it out through technobabble - as in noticing the time index was off or detecting an irregularity in the recording. Sometimes it is nice that it was good ole human intuition.

4) Good use of Keiko in comparison to her use in other episodes. The way she reacted to Sisko with this grim, but silent expression was telling. I guess being married to a Starfleet officer makes the significant other always prepared they may get that news. The last few lines was really funny. I guess that will be the last time Keiko will be suspicious of Miles drinking coffee in the afternoon. :P

5) Speaking of being married to a Starfleet officer ... I thought it was interesting when Bashir mentioned how their profession doesn't mix well with marriage. He isn't the only SF character to say that. It seemed like you give something up by joining Starfleet .... (If you want marriage in your life).

Ok .... That was the good....

Now for my Trekkie whining:

Yet another episode where aliens try to murder Starfleet officers and there is 0 payback for it. Between Geordie being reprogrammed by the Romulans to cause a war between the Klingons and the UFP or Garak trying to genocide the Founders (and get the Defiant crew killed in the process) .... I truly don't get how Starfleet has lasted this long. What ended up happening? This is the down side of "episodic" Trek - the plot had to wrap up neatly by the end. There couldn't be any follow up to it. In fact - this idea seems like it would've been better done on VOY. Cause at least the excuse is VOY just fled from the aliens and kept going.

You're telling me the UFP didn't do anything? I get the UFP is peaceful and wouldn't just arbitrarily start a war over the killing of their officers but ....

Stuff like this makes me hope S31 sent agents to those planets to "pay them back" for that...

Star-Trek-Discovery-Section-31.jpg

Edited by The Founder

Just watched this one too!  

5 minutes ago, The Founder said:

Was job just a poor choice of word or do people work on Earth? (Outside of Starfleet). Sorry, but I think about these things.

I think it was just an expression; like people who still say they 'dialed' their phones when phones haven't have actual dials in 30 years or more.  'Job' is probably just synonymous with 'career.' 

9 minutes ago, The Founder said:

Good use of Keiko in comparison to her use in other episodes. The way she reacted to Sisko with this grim, but silent expression was telling. I guess being married to a Starfleet officer makes the significant other always prepared they may get that news. The last few lines was really funny. I guess that will be the last time Keiko will be suspicious of Miles drinking coffee in the afternoon. :P

^ This was one of the rare appearances by Keiko where she didn't annoy the hell out of me.  No offense to the actress Rosalind Chao (who was great in "Joy Luck Club") but the character was a pain in the rear sometimes ("Miiiiiilllllessss..."). :laugh:

I also loved the coda where Miles says tells Keiko he always drinks coffee late in the afternoon; totally negating her suspicion that saved his life... funny, but a bit scary too. :P

People have jobs in the 24th. I think they pretty much have to. The Federation provides all its people with basics. You want more stuff, you find something else to do.

My biggest question is why, if they were in such a rush to kill everyone related to the Harvesters so they could never be unleashed on the planet again, they didn't wait until all the Harvesters were actually destroyed.

But this really is the start of Bashir/O'Brien for me as well. "Storyteller" is one of the literal handful of episodes of DS9 that I don't care for all that much.

28 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think it was just an expression; like people who still say they 'dialed' their phones when phones haven't have actual dials in 30 years or more.  'Job' is probably just synonymous with 'career.'

Yeah ... I was wondering if that was the case. Like when Jake Sisko said he "sold" his first book or article to the Federation News Service and when Quark asked "For how much?" Sisko says "It's just an expression...."

19 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

People have jobs in the 24th. I think they pretty much have to. The Federation provides all its people with basics. You want more stuff, you find something else to do.

My biggest question is why, if they were in such a rush to kill everyone related to the Harvesters so they could never be unleashed on the planet again, they didn't wait until all the Harvesters were actually destroyed.

That sounds like work, though. And paying for things in a traditional sense. But it would make sense how some people get a cabin in the mountains (Kirk) or their own vineyard (Picards). I was like "The one thing a replicator can't give is real estate and skilled labor." (unless holograms and androids do all of it ....)

Yeah, they didn't even wait for them to finish the last batch. haha.

5 hours ago, The Founder said:

That sounds like work, though. And paying for things in a traditional sense. But it would make sense how some people get a cabin in the mountains (Kirk) or their own vineyard (Picards). I was like "The one thing a replicator can't give is real estate and skilled labor." (unless holograms and androids do all of it ....)

Yeah, they didn't even wait for them to finish the last batch. haha.

^
Those wacky future economics again... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this