Progress

maneth   

Episode Name: Progress

Episode Number: 14

Production Number: 415

Season: 1

Director: Les Landau

---

A stubborn farmer who refuses to leave his farm which is about to be destroyed forces Kira to contemplate how much she has changed since her alliance with the Federation. Meanwhile aboard DS9 Nog and Jake get down to business, earning a nod of respect from Quark.

Terilynn   

Okay - my heart jumped when I heard Brian Keith 's voice. Boy do I miss him.

Second - I loved this episode. Kira really played true to character here.

I loved the way it ended. It was realistic and not a happy one. As a matter of fact it left you kinda drifting. And after knowing that Keith died taking his own life - this episode is twice as powerful. So sooooo sad.

Adam   

I loved the way it ended. It was realistic and not a happy one. As a matter of fact it left you kinda drifting. And after knowing that Keith died taking his own life - this episode is twice as powerful. So sooooo sad.

Progress is one of my favorite episodes from the first season, although it took me about 3 viewings to realise it. The interplay between Kira and Mullibok is truely heartbreaking at times, especially when she sets fire to his house! Next to Duet, this is definitely one of the first season's highlights!

Terilynn   

I was really swept up by their relationship in this episode. I found it very easy to relate to.

Maneth - Brian Keith played the father in the 60s Show - A Family Affair. There wasn't a kid in my neighborhood who didn't want to have Brian Keith as their father! :) He had the most distinctive voice! When I saw his face on the screen last night both my hubby and I were awestruck because we both knew that he committed suicide not more than a few years after this appearance. He was a wonderful actor.

Here's his IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001417/

I watched this episode a few days ago... I wasn't very impressed although it's a Kira episode. I dunno... I loved the chemistry between Kira and the old farmer, really, but I was actually more interested in the sub plot with Jake and Nog. That was really funny somehow. ;)

But then, there are worse episodes than this one, I guess. The ending felt sorta rushed to me, though... I dunno, it didn't make me think about how it would continue, it made me feel like "what? And now?" :dontgetit:

*shrug* It's still a nice episode, but not one of my favorites. I did love Kira's "WTF?! STFU!" reaction when the old farmer tried to make her angry by telling her that she's beautiful or something! :laugh:

Ael   

I swore I commented on this one after I wated it... :dontgetit:

Guess I didnt!

Im with you, Mrs P, I felt the end was rushed. I was expecting more to it. I had those exact same feelings. I looked at my husband and I was like; soooo, what happened then? lol

Voyager   

Progress is one of my favorite episodes from the first season, although it took me about 3 viewings to realise it. The interplay between Kira and Mullibok is truely heartbreaking at times, especially when she sets fire to his house! Next to Duet, this is definitely one of the first season's highlights!

Their interplay is heartbreaking, I agree. I really loved how it ended too. There was no happy solution.

I watched this episode a few days ago... I wasn't very impressed although it's a Kira episode. I dunno... I loved the chemistry between Kira and the old farmer, really, but I was actually more interested in the sub plot with Jake and Nog. That was really funny somehow. ;)

Now, I was not expecting you to like the Jake/Nog storyline. I found it really funny too, though.

Artemis   

I enjoyed Kira's first conversations with the farmer but then got fed up with her. I have to sigh and tell myself that this is who she is and how she had to deal with things- especially if thats what the script called for.

But how I hated the waffling and the comparisons between what the government was doing with the Cardassian occupation- pity the writers couldn't have made her tell the old man he was being selfish and egotistical and then convince him to leave. No, they made her burn his house down- making her look like a cruel and small minded powertripper. That was just ugly.

Nog and Jake were hilarious!

I loved Kira being on the side of the bureaucrats. Its tough being one of the 'rebels' and then growing up and having to be the one in charge. A lesson I learned during my years in management at my old company; before, I could easily fraternize with everybody. When I got my promotion? Everyone looked at me differently; I was no longer 'one of the guys' anymore; I was one of 'them' now. I knew how Kira felt. Her admission to Sisko about how it feels to be the one forcing someone from their home ("It's awful!") kind of broke my heart. It's not the best episode but there are a lot of wonderful human touches.

Also loved the late Brian Keith as Mullibok. He kind of wormed his way into her heart. Like a crusty old grandfather she never knew. Yes, he was an obstinate old man, but when you get to be a certain age, sometimes you feel as though you've been through enough s#!t to have earned the right to be selfish. ;)

And yes, Nog and Jake were funny; loved their interplay. And how they reversed roles in the series later on...

I give this one a 7.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Not a nice ending, though it was for the benefit of a world that was trying to get back on it's feet after decades of abuse. The needs of the many crops up again.

I loved the side story of Jake and Nog going into business, though it seemed a little weird that Jake was having to convince Nog there were other things of value aisde from bars of latinum.

I'm still not THAT impressed, even after re-watching this one yesterday and knowing that many fans seem to like it.

The good things first - yay, a Kira episode! I'm a big Early!Kira fan and this episode really shows what kind of character she is - I really like the moment in which Sisko makes her realize that she's on the "other side" now and that she's now one of those who has to turn against those who fight for a certain cause. Also, this episode is a good example for the "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" dilemma. It leaves a lot of room to think... but that is also its weakness in my opinion because, frankly, it bored me to tears at quite a few points. If the Jake and Nog subplot hadn't been there, I'd seriously have considered switching it off because it was just too much talking, even for me.

Speaking of which, the Jake and Nog subplot was quite amusing. I love how Jake is actually the better Ferengi at this point and how he's the one who's responsible for PROFIT at the end when Nog tells Quark about the "business opportunity", lol.

And then there's the shipping moments... Kira and Dax, with Dax being so worried about Kira (awwww). Would someone please stop me? :P

Also, the ending of the episode - now what? What happened? I'm all for open endings, but this one was a bit TOO open for my taste.

I'd give this one a 5/10, and that's actually kinda generous. It simply isn't for me.

The favorite moment/quote award for this episode goes to Sisko, or, more specifically, to Sisko/Kira (I love rare pairings, it's a weakness of mine), for Sisko's "Bajor needs you, and I need you. I like you and I don't want you to be hurt." speech. Aaaah!

I just finished watching this episode and I did appreciate the character development for Kira. This kind of began her "softening" and becoming more friendly to Starfleet and a little less rebellious. As Sehlat Vie mentioned earlier, this was a big moment as Kira realized she was no longer the "rebel" and was now a "uniform".

The actor playing the elderly Bajoran was really good and I liked his character. I honestly wish he had reappeared later on in the series or maybe at least in the novels? Somewhere. That ending was far too abrupt. She burns down his home and when he tells her that removing him from there will kill him, she does it anyways. Wouldn't a more bitersweet ending be leaving him there? Yes - he'd die but he'd die at the home he built for himself. Now he'll just be tossed into the fray on Bajor and may even commit suicide over the grief of losing his home. I felt bad for him. He was stubborn, but still.... burning his home and forcing him to leave? I get that the Bajorans needed the energy from the core and one man vs. all those lives... But like I said - leave him to the fate he decided. He looked so helpless in the end. It was a really bothersome thing, plus no follow up.

As for the b-Plot of Jake/Nog? It was...somewhat amusing. Seems like a lot of episodes with them to fill the "kid quota" I guess. Nog seemed pretty ignorant of the value of "land" or as he called it "it's just dirt". You'd think a Ferengi would know of the inherit value of "dirt" (real estate anyone?).

All in all - this was a pretty quiet, slow episode. I wouldn't have been big on it if it did not pay off and Kira had 0 development. Knowing how she transforms with wonderful character development in the next few seasons? I like to think this began her change, plus Opaka urging Kira to let go of being a soldier. So for the development of Kira - I'll rate this a 6/10.

I honestly wish he had reappeared later on in the series or maybe at least in the novels? Somewhere.

I have no idea where anymore, but he is mentioned in passing in a novel somewhere, basically, "Tell Kira she was right and I'm okay."

Yes - he'd die but he'd die at the home he built for himself. Now he'll just be tossed into the fray on Bajor and may even commit suicide over the grief of losing his home. I felt bad for him. He was stubborn, but still.... burning his home and forcing him to leave?

I think it works for both of their characters. Kira couldn't deal with leaving him to die. This was post "Battle Lines" and her epiphany there was probably still fresh. She didn't want another death that she'd have to forgive herself for if she could prevent it.

And while he thought he would die if he left, his life was a story in perseverance and survival. Embellished to Hell and back, but still true. He'd find a way to survive and thrive.

I get that the Bajorans needed the energy from the core and one man vs. all those lives... 

This really is the weakest part of the episode and it pulls the whole thing apart if you think about it too much. In the 24th century, if there's one thing that seems to be reasonably cheap it's energy. From matter/antimatter to solar, to fusion reactors built into everyone's home, heating half a million Bajoran homes seems like a relatively simple matter.

Food might be more difficult, but if you have energy and raw material you can replicate all you need. I'll give them this for the sake of story. Maybe there aren't half a million replicators around that can be brought to bear and Picard does say that relief efforts are barely enough. But in "Sanctuary" and "Rules of Acquisition" we hear about the importance of and need for agriculture.

Well, we're going to crack the crust and render uninhabitable what amounts to an M-class world with probably a good lot of arable land to beam energy home for heat? I think the Bajorans should have been churning out extra blankets while settling people on that moon and using it to grow the food they need.

Edited by prometheus59650

I honestly wish he had reappeared later on in the series or maybe at least in the novels? Somewhere.

I have no idea where anymore, but he is mentioned in passing in a novel somewhere, basically, "Tell Kira she was right and I'm okay."

Yes - he'd die but he'd die at the home he built for himself. Now he'll just be tossed into the fray on Bajor and may even commit suicide over the grief of losing his home. I felt bad for him. He was stubborn, but still.... burning his home and forcing him to leave?

I think it works for both of their characters. Kira couldn't deal with leaving him to die. This was post "Battle Lines" and her epiphany there was probably still fresh. She didn't want another death that she'd have to forgive herself for if she could prevent it.

And while he thought he would die if he left, his life was a story in perseverance and survival. Embellished to Hell and back, but still true. He'd find a way to survive and thrive.

I get that the Bajorans needed the energy from the core and one man vs. all those lives... 

This really is the weakest part of the episode and it pulls the whole thing apart if you think about it too much. In the 24th century, if there's one thing that seems to be reasonably cheap it's energy. From matter/antimatter to solar, to fusion reactors built into everyone's home, heating half a million Bajoran homes seems like a relatively simple matter.

Food might be more difficult, but if you have energy and raw material you can replicate all you need. I'll give them this for the sake of story. Maybe there aren't half a million replicators around that can be brought to bear and Picard does say that relief efforts are barely enough. But in "Sanctuary" and "Rules of Acquisition" we hear about the importance of and need for agriculture.

Well, we're going to crack the crust and render uninhabitable what amounts to an M-class world with probably a good lot of arable land to beam energy home for heat? I think the Bajorans should have been churning out extra blankets while settling people on that moon and using it to grow the food they need.

Really? I like that there was some follow up with his character - even if it is minimal and in the novels. I really enjoyed the actor. Wish he could have popped up a bit more in the show.

I do like the idea that he survived through it all.

Hah! You do make a good point about resources in the future. With the Federation's technology bordering on "magic" - you'd think they'd be able to replicate some means to keep Bajorans warm or well fed. Really makes no sense.

Sign in to follow this