maneth

Battle Lines

Episode Name: Battle Lines

Episode Number: 12

Production Number: 413

Season: 1

Director: Paul Lynch

---

Sisko, Kira and Bashir are stranded on a world of endless war where the combatants cannot die.

Seeing as though we're back onto watching DS9 this was the next episode in line. I really loved this episode and I know it's where the spiritual stuff kicks in. And you know what? I didn't care - as a matter of fact I kinda loved it.

I liked the Kai very much. The brilliance of the writing in thinking up such an amazing thing like coming back to life after killing and killing and killing - so friggin Trek. It was great.

I was also pretty impressed with the acting in it...hey I admit it - I teared up in one scene.

So I give it a 8/10. Two points off for Sisko's willingness to accept everything...he'd be more curious about things I think - even if the Kai gives him "that look."

I was also pretty impressed with the acting in it...hey I admit it - I teared up in one scene.

That wouldn't be the scene where Kira breaks down over the Kai's death would it? Because that's the one that always gets me - I always tear up. This was the episode which sold me on Nana Visitor as an awesome actress - she puts her heart and soul into her performance here.

Uhm Yes. totally. AND the scene where the Kai worms her way right through Kira's facade about violence.

So great!

I watched this episode last night... and I didn't really care much for it. I like bitchy!Kira much better than devastated!Kira... *shrug* I dunno... but I loved the scene in which Kai Opaka re-appeared. However, the whole plot was kinda predictable (I've seen too many zombies-can't-die movies, I guess)... so I can't give this episode a really high rating. I'd say it gets a 6/10 from me.

*tries to hide behind Jean-Luc* Don't hurt me! I just didn't really care for the episode! @_@ *lol*

The Kai's face always made me laugh when she dies. It's horrible i know but even today it makes me giggle. Still, very poignant episode which was very Trek.

Interesting episode and of note seeing Jonathan Banks who twice played the archetypal scumbag in TJ Hooker. 7.

Sisko and Kai Opaka go to the Gamma Quadrant where Sisko crash lands the shuttle; subsequently killing Opaka --- smooth move Commander!

I gave it a 2. It wasn't all that good.

I found this episode rathe boring to be honest. I did like the story line about the Kai being unable to leave the planet, but I just didn't find it terribly interesting. I'm also a bit confused as to what exactly Opaka does to people's ears that makes them completely break down - I wonder what she would be like giving omacs to a Ferengi :giggle:

The Kai's face always made me laugh when she dies. It's horrible i know but even today it makes me giggle. Still, very poignant episode which was very Trek.

agreed!

Sisko and Kai Opaka go to the Gamma Quadrant where Sisko crash lands the shuttle; subsequently killing Opaka --- smooth move Commander!

I gave it a 2. It wasn't all that good.

I wonder how he explained it? If I was even a remotely devout Bajoran follower of the prophets I would be suspicious of the alien's story.

I didn't like the plot of dumping the Kai there- the writers never re-visited that place and we're left wondering about Opaka who ( I feel ) made as much of an impact as an actor that Nana Visitor did - in just 2 or 3 episodes.

Just finished re-watching this episode. It's not a bad one, I'd say. It all just felt a bit... well, rushed. I think this one would have worked better as a two-part episode. It all happens rather quickly. And to leave Kai Opaka on the planet... I guess I'm so opposed to the idea because I know that this will inevitably lead to Kai Winn showing up, lol. Also, Bashir coming along is just a bit TOO casual. "Oh I have nothing else to do, I'll go with you"... I get it that they needed him in order to be the one who discovers that the inhabitants can't leave, but still... how about having a better explanation for him coming along? (Again, this could have been done better in a two-part episode.)

What I do like about the episode is the fact that they're actually doing a bit of exploration, y'know, meeting new civilizations and stuff (even if these guys probably aren't guys you wanna meet).

Also, the Prime Directive... I kinda like Sisko's "these people have suffered enough, maybe we should help" approach. It's very Kirk-ish. I also like how he decides not to help in the end because even when he offers everyone a chance to end their suffering all they think about is destroying one another through it. Ah, gotta love moral issues being raised through the interpretation of the Prime Directive... and yet the TNG fan in me would've liked more discussions, more philosophy and less fight scenes, but then, this ain't TNG, I know.

AND... YAY FOR KAI OPAKA. I like Kai Opaka.

This episode... still a 6/10.

The favorite quote moment goes to Kai Opaka: "This is not your war, Kira."

I've never really liked this one.

I find it boring and not particularly original. It feels, if anything, like a darker TOS episode.

There were some interesting scenes with Kira, but they felt sledgehammered in and came across as unrealistic and over-the-top.

The debate wasn't anything that hasn't occurred on Star Trek dozens of times before, and it obviously all took place on Planet Hell; the typical low-budget cave set that always seems far too small.

And you have the usual "early" problems, with the actors not being completely comfortable with their characters yet.

My favourite bits are probably Odo on the station, but again he seems rather out-of-character here.

When O'Brien and Dax try and rescue them, there is an insane level of unnecessary technobabble that wouldn't be out of place on a typical Voyager episode.

Thankfully, DS9 soon went beyond this Star-Trek-cliché type stories and dared to be different.

Just finished re-watching this episode. It's not a bad one, I'd say. It all just felt a bit... well, rushed. I think this one would have worked better as a two-part episode. It all happens rather quickly. And to leave Kai Opaka on the planet... I guess I'm so opposed to the idea because I know that this will inevitably lead to Kai Winn showing up, lol. Also, Bashir coming along is just a bit TOO casual. "Oh I have nothing else to do, I'll go with you"... I get it that they needed him in order to be the one who discovers that the inhabitants can't leave, but still... how about having a better explanation for him coming along? (Again, this could have been done better in a two-part episode.)

What I do like about the episode is the fact that they're actually doing a bit of exploration, y'know, meeting new civilizations and stuff (even if these guys probably aren't guys you wanna meet).

Also, the Prime Directive... I kinda like Sisko's "these people have suffered enough, maybe we should help" approach. It's very Kirk-ish. I also like how he decides not to help in the end because even when he offers everyone a chance to end their suffering all they think about is destroying one another through it. Ah, gotta love moral issues being raised through the interpretation of the Prime Directive... and yet the TNG fan in me would've liked more discussions, more philosophy and less fight scenes, but then, this ain't TNG, I know.

AND... YAY FOR KAI OPAKA. I like Kai Opaka.

This episode... still a 6/10.

The favorite quote moment goes to Kai Opaka: "This is not your war, Kira."

Kira's moment when she thought Opaka was dead kind of tears at your heart a bit. Her acting was quite good in that scene; like a child who lost their mother.

I give it a 6 as well;

not a great episode, but not bad either.

And I am also a Kai Opaka fan; she has a lot of warmth to her. She kind of reminds me of a favorite Jewish or Italian aunt.

She reminds me of the relative that would say, "Oy! You poor thing! You look like you haven't eaten in ages... let me make you something..." :biggrin:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Yes that's exactly the impression that I'm getting from Kai Opaka. She just seems to be a genuinely nice character. Too bad she didn't stay for too long and we got Kai FAIL, er, WINN instead. (I love to hate her, but really, she RILES ME UP TOO MUCH sometimes.)

Yes that's exactly the impression that I'm getting from Kai Opaka. She just seems to be a genuinely nice character. Too bad she didn't stay for too long and we got Kai FAIL, er, WINN instead. (I love to hate her, but really, she RILES ME UP TOO MUCH sometimes.)

I think Kai Winn was good for the show, because she gave Kira (and later Sisko) something to push against; the imminent threat of a religious theocracy. Something that is still very much a concern in much of the world; especially in the middle east (post Arab spring) or even here in the United States where I live; you have many people who would love to turn this country into a sort of fundamentalist Christian version of Iran. Scares the hell out of me, really....

But Kai Opaka seemed to be a religious leader who saw the greater picture. Her faith was her center, but she respected other beliefs as well.

And again; she seems like a sweet "Jewish/Italian mother" type, too (a lot of that comes from the personal warmth & charm of the actress, Camille Saviola).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Kira's moment when she thought Opaka was dead kind of tears at your heart a bit. Her acting was quite good in that scene; like a child who lost their mother.

I didn't really see it that way, I though it was more like the daft idiots who cry when their president or a member of the royal family dies. - I saw it on TV only the other day. I remember over here, when Princess Diana died, people who had never even seen her in real life were crying inconsolably in the streets - it was ridiculous!

Kira's relationship to Opaka was like that. She was undoubtedly a great leader, roll-model, figure of hope, someone who has earned the nation's respect etc. but there was no personal attachment, and thus no genuine emotion other than "what will our nation do without her?"

Kira has had many more genuinely emotional scenes throughout the show; notably Life Support and Ties of Blood and Water. I think The Darkness and The Light is probably my favourite.

I didn't really see it that way, I though it was more like the daft idiots who cry when their president or a member of the royal family dies. - I saw it on TV only the other day. I remember over here, when Princess Diana died, people who had never even seen her in real life were crying inconsolably in the streets - it was ridiculous!

Kira's relationship to Opaka was like that. She was undoubtedly a great leader, roll-model, figure of hope, someone who has earned the nation's respect etc. but there was no personal attachment, and thus no genuine emotion other than "what will our nation do without her?"

Kira has had many more genuinely emotional scenes throughout the show; notably Life Support and Ties of Blood and Water. I think The Darkness and The Light is probably my favourite.

I don't see it that way AT ALL.

Opaka was warm, humble and personable; and she kind of had a real 'earth mother' vibe. This was not some royal or Hollywood glamourpuss Kira was fawning over; this was a REAL person. She also had the power to keep the newly freed Bajor unified (which under Kai Winn became a real problem).

Kira's no fawning idiot.... ;)

Haha, Sehlat Vie is right that Opaka did give off that vibe.

I thought this episode was interesting. The actors were still getting their bearings a bit, but good eppie and I liked the idea of a planet of immortals locked in an eternal war. Seems like the kind of place SF would intervene if you think about it... bringing peace?

One thing I don't like: killing off Opaka. Way too early for that. I understand it set the stage for Winn and Antos, but it was too early. I also wish that sisko had gone to visit Opaka at some point. Maybe when he was at his lowest or when he was beginning to waver in his "path" for the Prophets. I guess the Dominion War made it too hard for him to just gallavant into the Gamma Quadrant...

I give it a 7.

I also wish that sisko had gone to visit Opaka at some point. Maybe when he was at his lowest or when he was beginning to waver in his "path" for the Prophets. I guess the Dominion War made it too hard for him to just gallavant into the Gamma Quadrant...

Interestingly, Opaka did reappear twice more in the series, but only as a Prophet/Orb-experience type vision.

Firstly in The Collaborator where she appears to Bareil, and secondly in Accession, where she appears to Sisko (and this represents a turning point in his acceptance of Bajoran religion and his role in it).

I also wish that sisko had gone to visit Opaka at some point. Maybe when he was at his lowest or when he was beginning to waver in his "path" for the Prophets. I guess the Dominion War made it too hard for him to just gallavant into the Gamma Quadrant...

Interestingly, Opaka did reappear twice more in the series, but only as a Prophet/Orb-experience type vision.

Firstly in The Collaborator where she appears to Bareil, and secondly in Accession, where she appears to Sisko (and this represents a turning point in his acceptance of Bajoran religion and his role in it).

Good memory. I had completely forgotten about that.

^ Well she DOES promise Sisko that their paths will cross again at some point, and, who knows, she might have been referring to these precise orb visions after all, especially since the second one was apparently very important.

Sign in to follow this