maneth

Vortex

Episode Name: Vortex

Episode Number: 11

Production Number: 412

Season: 1

Director: Winrich Kolbe

---

A criminal from the Gamma Quadrant tempts Odo by claiming he can broker a contact with other shapeshifters.

I watched this episode last night... and I didn't quite know what to make of it... it starts with Quark and then switches to these weird brothers and then it's suddenly all about Odo and his species and that criminal... I dunno, I just didn't like how it was done. And the solution wasn't exactly wonderful IMO either, I mean to put that criminal and his daughter onto that ship to Vulcan. I'm sure the Vulcans would've mentioned it to Starfleet somehow at some point and then Odo would have been in a looooot of trouble. (Or maybe they will mention it and I just can't remember the episode. LOL.) Anyway... not one of my favorite episodes. I did like it that it mainly focused on Odo, though. :)

I'd give it a 5/10. There are worse episodes IMO. ;)

I saw this one about a week ago. I kinda like how Odo 'rescued' them so to speak, but I dont think it was the wisest move to put them on that Vulcan ship. Yeah, it kinda jumped around a bit much from what I remember.

You know, I really should start writing my opinion of the eps right after I watch them lol

You know, I really should start writing my opinion of the eps right after I watch them lol

I know what you mean. :laugh:

And yes, I also think it wasn't exactly wise to put them onto that Vulcan ship. It also seemed a bit rushed to me, like in "let's end the episode now that Odo hasn't found any other shapeshifters". @_@

It was a bit hit and miss, largely miss. Hit included the shots of the Mutara Nebula (stock footage, rather). I don't know, it wasn't too much.

5/

I gave it a 9. This ep showed how much Odo wanted to learn about his origins. Rene Auberjonois did a great job acting in this early ep.

And yes, I also think it wasn't exactly wise to put them onto that Vulcan ship. It also seemed a bit rushed to me, like in "let's end the episode now that Odo hasn't found any other shapeshifters". @_@

It wasn't as though he had a lot of options though. There didn't just happen to be another species around the area that could have taken them. The choice was either hand them over to the Vulcans or take him back to the planet to be executed.

Overall I liked the episode, although I do agree, it jumped about a bit too much at the beginning. One thing that bothered me was when the criminal said 'I had no choice' because he didn't have skills? I didn't get that. Why did he need to kill that person? There was no reason.

I also didn't like the line by his daughter 'but you didn't do anything, you were just trying to protect us'. They try to make him seem like a wrong accused, innocent person at the end, but I think it would have been more effective if he was actually a criminal.

It wasn't as though he had a lot of options though. There didn't just happen to be another species around the area that could have taken them. The choice was either hand them over to the Vulcans or take him back to the planet to be executed.

Overall I liked the episode, although I do agree, it jumped about a bit too much at the beginning. One thing that bothered me was when the criminal said 'I had no choice' because he didn't have skills? I didn't get that. Why did he need to kill that person? There was no reason.

I also didn't like the line by his daughter 'but you didn't do anything, you were just trying to protect us'. They try to make him seem like a wrong accused, innocent person at the end, but I think it would have been more effective if he was actually a criminal.

I think too that Odo was faced with a choice and he decided to deviate from orders because of his sense of justice...and whose to say if the Vulcan (science vessel) would report every little thing.

Regarding the 'skills'...I think he meant that he killed because he knew how to butcher a chicken...but he had never learned how to simply cripple or disable a chicken. In other words he didn't have fighting skills of any kind. We actually see that right in the beginning with his obvious clumsy handling of the phaser.

Not a big fan of this one; it promised a lot, but didn't deliver. Cliff deYoung gave a decent performance, and he and Odo had an interesting dynamic, but the payoff was kind of paltry considering how much he have to wait through to get to it. The con man with a heart of gold just trying to get his kid back is a very old cliche; kind of surprised Odo fell for it.

It's a 5.

Re-watched this one yesterday and I'm still not exactly impressed... I do appreciate the idea of them trying to create this big mystery around Odo and his species, though. Makes things interesting. (Still, I keep thinking "if you know who your people are you probably would stop trying to find them, dear Odo", lol.)

Also, there's a lot of Odo/Quark and that's always a WIN in my book and that pretty much saves this one from a rather bad rating. I also think there simply was too much going on. These guys who try to sell stolen items, that "con man" alien AND Odo trying to find out who his people are. It's like as if they wanted to tell everything in one episode but couldn't do it and therefore had to cut back a LOT of backstory for everyone and well, that just doesn't work somehow.

This one still gets a 5/10 from me.

The favorite quote award for this episode once again goes to Odo: "There's no profit in kindness."

Re-watched this one yesterday and I'm still not exactly impressed... I do appreciate the idea of them trying to create this big mystery around Odo and his species, though. Makes things interesting. (Still, I keep thinking "if you know who your people are you probably would stop trying to find them, dear Odo", lol.)

One of the things that keeps from logging onto Ancestry.com. :P:laugh:

I always tell people who try to get me into genealogy that I prefer to simply be who I am now, not who my ancestors or 'people' were. All I have in common with them is DNA, not personality.

I realize Odo's curiosity might've been irresistible, but sometimes I think he'd have been better off not knowing. If your great-great grandfather was a third cousin once removed to the prince of Albania, so what? How does that help you better know or understand who you are today? Just my two cents worth...

End of grumbly old man rant... :giggle:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I just rewatched this episode. I love the character development of Odo, but I think my favorite incarnation of Odo is the way he was in season 1 - the stern, gruff constable of the Wild West. Later on, he becomes "softer" and understandably so because he lowers his "walls" with his friends. I get that. It's not a plot hole, but I liked him more as a rigid police officer.

The episode gives us one of our earlier glances at the recurring actor Randy Oglesby as the Miradorn twins. He did a pretty good job and I liked his rag-tag crew that we barely saw in the episode.

latest?cb=20091003135523&path-prefix=en

But I do agree this episode kind of was all over the place, but that I did not mind. They needed the "criminal" to talk with Odo and set off the other chain of events. I think, knowing what we know about the Founders, that we were obviously disappointed with the "reveal" we knew would never happen. If I was first watching this episode when it aired, I'd be disappointed too that we didn't find out what Odo was. However, it was too early to reveal such a rich mystery and I liked Odo being a unique alien that no one knew about.

The "myth" about the Changelings is interesting and made me wonder if the Founders had come to his world a long time ago. He claims it was "centuries" but that wouldn't match up with the millennia old Dominion. Maybe they were part of the 100 like Odo or Laas? But it is interesting that history keeps repeating itself - they were persecuted and fled.

The ending through that nebula was pretty interesting and I liked how they out smarted the Miradorn - although they killed that entire crew...

I didn't like how they seemed to go back and forth on if the "criminal" was justified in his crimes or actually was not. Plus, Odo handed him over to the Vulcan crew which was on its way to DS9. I hope DS9 doesn't ask for an acocunting of the crew or Odo is screwed. :P

This gets a 7/10 for me. It had the usual slowness of season 1, but had some nice moments and development for Odo.

Sign in to follow this