maneth

The Nagus

Episode Name: The Nagus

Episode Number: 10

Production Number: 411

Season: 1

Director: David Livingston

---

Quark discovers that being named the leader of the Ferengi financial empire means he becomes a target for assassination.

I watched this episode today... I neither loved it nor hated it. It's okay/nice. I'm just not a real Ferengi fan, that's all. (Quark's cool, though!) :biggrin:

And I did like the Odo/Quark scenes. These two are really something. :laugh: And Jake teaching Nog how to read was just cute. ^^

I'd give it a 7/10. :) I'm glad Keiko wasn't around. Ugh. *lol*

I love this episode, I really like the Ferengi; however, I think it is one of those episodes that you can see too often; it's great the first time, enjoyable the second, I haven't seen it 3 times, but I don't think I want to see it again for a while. I may love the Ferengi, but I think I need to take them in moderation.

I watched it a week or so ago. I loved the Odo/Quark interactions, especially when Quark tried to get Odo to kiss his staff...lol Odo was all like; Dont think so!

It's a good Ferengi episode, but there are better ones later such as Profit and Lace and Treachery, Faith and The Great River (even though the last is only really a semi-Ferengi episode).

This was the first real evolution of the Ferengi into real business-like people. From the meeting, to the bribes, to the godfather scene :thumbup:, I feel that the writers saved the Ferengi from getting sacked.

I just finished re-watching this one (yes, I skipped "Move Along Home" because NO)... and it still leaves me kinda "meh". I've never been a big fan of DS9's Ferengi episodes (there are a few exceptions) - this one's neither too good nor too bad. I like how it introduces the Grand Nagus, though. I've always been a fan of his servant because he reminds me of Mr. Homn, actually. Also, I love how sassy Quark starts waving his hands around as soon as he's appointed the new Grand Nagus. (Last time I re-watched DS9, Quark was about to become my favorite character. Not sure what to make of this.) And then it turns out that Quark needs Odo's help after all... and I still giggle like a schoolboy when Quark tells Odo that he has to kiss his scepter. Erm. Never mind me.

What I like a lot more about this episode is the sub plot with Jake and Nog. I like how Sisko is basically against their friendship but then reconsiders his opinion when he realizes that Jake is teaching Nog how to read because he's not allowed to school anymore. I've always been a fan of Jake's and Nog's friendship, I think it's a brilliant idea to have a human and a Ferengi as best friends (even if there are bumps and bruises on the way, such as the whole "how to treat women" issue).

What I don't like is that now it's O'BRIEN HIMSELF who teaches while Keiko is away. Can anyone just get a shot at teaching there or what? Umm. And besides, O'Brien is an ENGINEER and surely he has other things to do than teaching a bunch of kids how to read?! Such as fixing things all over the station, maybe? Seriously... it was bad enough that they made Keiko the teacher but now it really just looks like as if anyone can have a go at teaching. Not really a smart move if you ask me. Although I have to admit the scene in which Nog claims that Vulcans stole his homework cracks me up. VULCANS. Of all the species, he picks Vulcans and claims they stole something. LMFAO!

I have to drop my rating a bit, I'd give this one a 6/10 now. It really isn't bad or anything - just not particularly brilliant either.

There is no specific favorite quote for this one, it's more a moment and that's, of course, the moment in which Quark tells Odo that he has to kiss his scepter. *still snickering*

I just finished re-watching this one (yes, I skipped "Move Along Home" because NO)... and it still leaves me kinda "meh". I've never been a big fan of DS9's Ferengi episodes (there are a few exceptions) - this one's neither too good nor too bad. I like how it introduces the Grand Nagus, though. I've always been a fan of his servant because he reminds me of Mr. Homn, actually. Also, I love how sassy Quark starts waving his hands around as soon as he's appointed the new Grand Nagus. (Last time I re-watched DS9, Quark was about to become my favorite character. Not sure what to make of this.) And then it turns out that Quark needs Odo's help after all... and I still giggle like a schoolboy when Quark tells Odo that he has to kiss his scepter. Erm. Never mind me.

What I like a lot more about this episode is the sub plot with Jake and Nog. I like how Sisko is basically against their friendship but then reconsiders his opinion when he realizes that Jake is teaching Nog how to read because he's not allowed to school anymore. I've always been a fan of Jake's and Nog's friendship, I think it's a brilliant idea to have a human and a Ferengi as best friends (even if there are bumps and bruises on the way, such as the whole "how to treat women" issue).

What I don't like is that now it's O'BRIEN HIMSELF who teaches while Keiko is away. Can anyone just get a shot at teaching there or what? Umm. And besides, O'Brien is an ENGINEER and surely he has other things to do than teaching a bunch of kids how to read?! Such as fixing things all over the station, maybe? Seriously... it was bad enough that they made Keiko the teacher but now it really just looks like as if anyone can have a go at teaching. Not really a smart move if you ask me. Although I have to admit the scene in which Nog claims that Vulcans stole his homework cracks me up. VULCANS. Of all the species, he picks Vulcans and claims they stole something. LMFAO!

I have to drop my rating a bit, I'd give this one a 6/10 now. It really isn't bad or anything - just not particularly brilliant either.

There is no specific favorite quote for this one, it's more a moment and that's, of course, the moment in which Quark tells Odo that he has to kiss his scepter. *still snickering*

:giggle: (Snickering at the 'kiss my sceptor' line; as now seen through Mr. Picard's dirty sunglasses.... :P ).

A 6 is about where I put this one, too.

O'Brien teaching was just silly; I hope none of the students seek accreditation at any decent university someday (the admittance review: "And where were you schooled?" "Uh... by an engineer and his wife on a space station." "Ah, I see....").

The early Ferengi comedies weren't so great. Although I do like the visual homages to "The Godfather" (one of my favorite movies).

Otherwise (and with all respect to Wallace Shawn's hilarious performance)? It's a so-so six. Watchable, but nothing special.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

:giggle: (Snickering at the 'kiss my sceptor' line; as now seen through Mr. Picard's dirty sunglasses.... :P ).

O'Brien teaching was just silly; I hope none of the students seek accreditation at any decent university someday (the admittance review: "And where were you schooled?" "Uh... by an engineer and his wife on a space station." "Ah, I see....").

The early Ferengi comedies weren't so great. Although I do like the visual homages to "The Godfather" (one of my favorite movies).

Otherwise (and with all respect to Wallace Shawn's hilarious performance)? It's a so-so six. Watchable, but nothing special.

They're called SLASH GOGGLES, actually. :P

tumblr_mjq8xlT42c1qa5kbdo1_500.jpg

Oh I absolutely agree, the Nagus is a very memorable character thanks to Wallace Shawn. Definitely. The way he laughs! OMG, lol. And yeah, O'Brien is even WORSE at teaching than Keiko is... I mean it would probably be different if he taught Engineering at Starfleet Academy, but teaching little kids how to read and whatnot REALLY doesn't make any sense.

They're called SLASH GOGGLES, actually. :P

tumblr_mjq8xlT42c1qa5kbdo1_500.jpg

Spock_wearing_visor.jpg

What do you think of mine? Stylish, no? :laugh:

Now, excuse me while I watch some of those Bashir/Garak, Dax/Kira scenes again.... :giggle:

I've always enjoyed this episode. The Ferengi as a race get a lot of good expansion and definition and we get the wily old Grand Nagus Zek, a fine recurring character we see more of later on.

I love the fact that Rom finally comes out of his shell a little and has a hand in trying to toss Quark out of the airlock so he could finally get hold of the bar.

I've always enjoyed this episode. The Ferengi as a race get a lot of good expansion and definition and we get the wily old Grand Nagus Zek, a fine recurring character we see more of later on.

I love the fact that Rom finally comes out of his shell a little and has a hand in trying to toss Quark out of the airlock so he could finally get hold of the bar.

That was one of the rare times we saw Rom acting truly Ferengi.... ;)

And yes, the Nagus is yet another in the LONG line of DS9 supporting characters who were at least as interesting as the main characters and certainly far more interesting than many other characters in other ST spinoff shows.

And yes, the Nagus is yet another in the LONG line of DS9 supporting characters who were at least as interesting as the main characters and certainly far more interesting than many other characters in other ST spinoff shows.

Well, I love the actor for the Nagus. While I can't think of his name off top of my head, one of the reasons he's such a good actor is he really is clueless on why his characters are funny. He's even stated it before on interviews he did for the Princess Bride and his character Fizzic. And that's how he acts. He's like, "I don't know why this guy is funny, so I'm going to channel that into my acting."

Mark Hammil also did the same thing when he auditioned for Star Wars. He looked at his lines and became really confused and went, "Who talks like this?" And he acted it using that frame of mind.

Edited by Admiral Harmon

Well, I love the actor for the Nagus. While I can't think of his name off top of my head, one of the reasons he's such a good actor is he really is clueless on why his characters are funny. He's even stated it before on interviews he did for the Princess Bride and his character Fizzic. And that's how he acts. He's like, "I don't know why this guy is funny, so I'm going to channel that into my acting."

The actor is brilliant actor/playwright Wallace Shawn (also played the lisping Sicilian ["Inconceivable!"] in "Princess Bride", and co-starred in "My Dinner With Andre").

The actor is brilliant actor/playwright Wallace Shawn (also played the lisping Sicilian ["Inconceivable!"] in "Princess Bride", and co-starred in "My Dinner With Andre").

He also lent his voice to Gilbert Huph, an annoying penny pinching midget who runs an insurance company in The Incredibles. ;)

He also lent his voice to Gilbert Huph, an annoying penny pinching midget who runs an insurance company in The Incredibles. ;)

I'd totally forgotten that one! He was also the voice of the T-Rex in the "Toy Story" movies as well, now that I think of it.

He has such a distinctive voice.

I rewatched this episode a few days ago. It introduces Zek, a really great reoccurring character. But I had a lot of problems with this episode...

The head of state of a big alien government can just sneak on board and none of the Federation officers care? Later on, it becomes apparent he is there but nothing is mentioned by Starsleet. Quark, temporarily, becomes Grand Nagus and again... nothing is mentioned by the Starfleet officers.

This episode introduces that Zek has a son, but he is never mentioned again. What happened? Was Zek so embarrassed by his failure that he had his son killed? Even later on when Zek becomes involved with Quark's mother, Drax is never mentioned. Seems...odd.

In regards to the absurdity of O'Brien substituting for Keiko? If a high-school football coach can do it, I'm sure he can. I've had lots of classes where, for whatever reason, a coach of a sports team would substitute and it would always involve "Shut up while I read my newspaper. Sit there for an hour." haha :P

The premise of this episode was Zek was "testing" his son, but we never really understand why. Zek seems to imply that Quark had great fortitude by placing the bar near the wormhole, but...Quark's is never really that profitable.

Rom was wholly out of character in this episode. The young, dumb but innocently naive Rom trying to murder Quark? I guess since this episode had a lot of allusions to the Godfather, Rom = Fredo? Stupidly manipulated by Drax? I don't know. Seemed odd. I guess one can say this was an example of character development. That is...half true. But in later episodes, they state that Rom was always childish and sweet. So this episode oddly stands apart. I guess this was a weak moment for Rom because Quark kept tormenting him with the bar?

The sub-plot of Jake and Nog being friends wasn't bad. I liked Sisko's talk with Jake about how we should embrace all cultures but also acknowledge that there is such a thing as clashing and you can only embrace so far.

All in all - 7/10. Not too bad but wasn't really mind blowing.

Rom was wholly out of character in this episode. The young, dumb but innocently naive Rom trying to murder Quark?

I dunno. He couldn't do it in  the end, so I just chalked it up to the producers again showing us that Rom wasn't a particularly good Ferengi. 

That's a fair point, prometheus.

Oh - and another thing about this episode. Anyone else find it strange that the Ferengi acted disgusted that Nog was in school? Was it because it was a human school? You'd think at least a school for economics would be mandatory on Ferenginar (if you can afford it). :P:Ferengi:

That's a fair point, prometheus.

Oh - and another thing about this episode. Anyone else find it strange that the Ferengi acted disgusted that Nog was in school? Was it because it was a human school? You'd think at least a school for economics would be mandatory on Ferenginar (if you can afford it). :P:Ferengi:

I gather Ferengi children are almost immediately put into some kind of trade; they probably consider education for education's sake a waste of time.   

I always assumed that the education of a Ferengi would be on the job...learning commerce by doing. 

Maybe it's the middle class Ferengi that apprentice with one profession since childhood and stuff like reading, writing and math are learned on the job. The upper class can probably afford whatever education they want to give their child.

Sign in to follow this