Sign in to follow this  
maneth

Move Along Home

Well I still like this episode. It's too weird and off the wall to not enjoy. Things just roll differently in the Gamma Quadrant and I love the fact that having worried about the protocols of first contact it gets blown into the weeds because the Wadi want to go straight to the bar
:giggle:

Yeah....it's a fun episode to watch when you get to it, but there is almost no way I'd go, "Hey! I want to go watch 'Go Along Home'."

I'd give it a 9. Mostly because it is a fun episode, and we really see there is more to Quark then just gold press latinum.

Yeah....it's a fun episode to watch when you get to it, but there is almost no way I'd go, "Hey! I want to go watch 'Go Along Home'."

I'd give it a 9. Mostly because it is a fun episode, and we really see there is more to Quark then just gold press latinum.

A 9? Really? :confused:

As a hardcore Niner, even I can't sit through this one again....

NOOO.gif

A 9? Really? :confused:

As a hardcore Niner, even I can't sit through this one again....

NOOO.gif

Like I said, I really like it. Not to the point I'd just decide to pop it in, but enough that I won't leave when I'm watching it. I guess I'm going to drop it down to a 7. Sounds more like a 7 than a 9 now that I put it that way.

It's not great, but there are plenty that are worse.

It's got that "weird' factor, especially at the start when nobody knows what's going on.

It's not great, but there are plenty that are worse.

It's got that "weird' factor, especially at the start when nobody knows what's going on.

Of the DS9 worst? It's definitely in my bottom five. "Storyteller" "Prodigal Daughter" ""The Muse" and "Profit & Lace" are right alongside it..... :thumbdown:

I'm with Sehlat, I'd definitely rank this one among the worst DS9 episodes ever. Although I do have to admit, from what I remember, the scenes with Quark begging are quite funny, lol.

I'm with Sehlat, I'd definitely rank this one among the worst DS9 episodes ever. Although I do have to admit, from what I remember, the scenes with Quark begging are quite funny, lol.

The night it premiered on TV I was a bit demoralized; I was worried that it was a harbinger of things to come. :(

Luckily the producers were self-aware enough not to make another episode quite THIS bad again (although the other ones I mentioned were very, very close).

Aw, there was no need to worry, though - I mean EVERY Trek series has its bad episodes! *hug*

Aw, there was no need to worry, though - I mean EVERY Trek series has its bad episodes! *hug*

How true...

ST series (post TOS) seem to need a couple years before they hit their stride.

This is where having the ST brand name REALLY helps; if these shows took those kinds of risks without that ST 'safety net' they'd be quickly canceled...

Of the DS9 worst? It's definitely in my bottom five. "Storyteller" "Prodigal Daughter" ""The Muse" and "Profit & Lace" are right alongside it.....

I think I prefer most of those to Move Along Home (except the Storyteller which is on about the same level).

DS9 episodes I would probably rank lower (or at least equal) include:

Dax

Battle Lines

Progress

Paradise

Shadowplay

Tribunal

Shakaar

The Quickening

Change of Heart

Time's Orphan

Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Covenant

It's Only A Paper Moon

Badda-bing Badda-bang

Of the DS9 worst? It's definitely in my bottom five. "Storyteller" "Prodigal Daughter" ""The Muse" and "Profit & Lace" are right alongside it.....

I think I prefer most of those to Move Along Home (except the Storyteller which is on about the same level).

DS9 episodes I would probably rank lower (or at least equal) include:

Dax

Battle Lines

Progress

Paradise

Shadowplay

Tribunal

Shakaar

The Quickening

Change of Heart

Time's Orphan

Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Covenant

It's Only A Paper Moon

Badda-bing Badda-bang

I actually liked most of those.... :(:giggle:

post-452187-0-47773200-1352844965.gif

I actually enjoyed this episode for what it was. However, I can NOT STAND the Allamaraine part of the episode so I tend to skip it. Hey, speaking of that part, isnt that the same girl used in those Pepsi commercials in the 90s?

movealonghome172.jpg

I can NOT STAND the Allamaraine part of the episode

Yes, that was certainly cringeworthy. I have the same feeling whenever Avery Brooks sings; he seems to have the need to sing at least three octaves higher than how he speaks normally!

Different strokes...

I can NOT STAND the Allamaraine part of the episode

Yes, that was certainly cringeworthy. I have the same feeling whenever Avery Brooks sings; he seems to have the need to sing at least three octaves higher than how he speaks normally!

Different strokes...

I was going to say IDIC.... :laugh:

I went on a DS9 netflix binge and have been watching the series in order. When it was this episode's turn, I knew it was a flop going in so I was curious to see what went wrong and how they could have fixed it. I think the big problem is that they didn't decide whether this was a comedic or dramatic episode. They play it as drama, the officers could die in the snakes-and-ladders like maze, but the big reveal is that they were never in any danger. If they played it like a comedy all along, they could have gotten some laughs and this wouldn't be on anyone's 'worst of Trek' lists. Instead, the reveal leaves the audience feeling cheated.

I'll give it a 2/10, it's bad but not bad AND offensive like Code of Honor for example. Bad, but not the worst episode of Trek ever produced.

I too am going through a rewatch of the series and largely agree with you, Hammer

The atmosphere of the episode had this odd, creepy feel to it that did not particularly match the absurdity of the rest of the episode. It is pretty bad, but not necessarily as bad as I remembered it to be. I think there were some cringe-worthy moments - such as hearing the powerful Sisko sing that stupid song while hopping or Bashir trying to wake himself from a "dream" by standing there loudly screaming.

One thing I really did dislike about this episode is we finally get aliens from the Gamma Quadrant in an official capacity and the Wadi are... it. They're so plain and boring. While I find the idea of an alien race that likes games intriguing, it was done rather poorly. This should have been more of a Quark episode "battling" the Wadi on his turf - gaming.

As it stands, the best "being trapped in a video game" I've ever seen done was in an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

I'll give this a 4/10.

I too am going through a rewatch of the series and largely agree with you, Hammer

The atmosphere of the episode had this odd, creepy feel to it that did not particularly match the absurdity of the rest of the episode. It is pretty bad, but not necessarily as bad as I remembered it to be. I think there were some cringe-worthy moments - such as hearing the powerful Sisko sing that stupid song while hopping or Bashir trying to wake himself from a "dream" by standing there loudly screaming.

One thing I really did dislike about this episode is we finally get aliens from the Gamma Quadrant in an official capacity and the Wadi are... it. They're so plain and boring. While I find the idea of an alien race that likes games intriguing, it was done rather poorly. This should have been more of a Quark episode "battling" the Wadi on his turf - gaming.

As it stands, the best "being trapped in a video game" I've ever seen done was in an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

I'll give this a 4/10.

Standing by my initial 1.

I just... despise this episode.   I was going to say 'loathe' but that didn't seem strong enough. :P

This is possibly my least favorite DS9 episode of all; certainly the first season, at the very least.  The 'game' was just silly.  This is one of those episodes (like "And the Children Shall Lead" or "Spock's Brain") that you hope will never serve as someone's introduction to Deep Space Nine... 

I hear ya. It's understandable. Compared to how amazing the rest of the series is - this is a pretty glaring drop for DS9's quality. Even if it is season 1. I wonder if it'd be considered as bad if it was a VOY episode or just par for the course?

I don't hate it. It's nowhere near DS9's finest hour, but there are even S1 episodes that I hate more, like "Storyteller."

It's a passable hour of Star Trek.

I don't hate it. It's nowhere near DS9's finest hour, but there are even S1 episodes that I hate more, like "Storyteller."

I don't hate it either.

It's very weird, very different and very experimental, and I don't think this experiment has gone so well. But I take "weird" and "different" experimental stuff over plain dull, forgettable episodes. And there are a couple of those in DS9 season 1:

"The Passenger" (this must be Alexander Siddig's worst acting performance ever), "Battle Lines", "If Wishes Were Horses", "The Forsaken", "Dramatis Personae", even "Dax" are all less interesting, less rewatchable episodes IMO.

I don't hate it either.

It's very weird, very different and very experimental, and I don't think this experiment has gone so well. But I take "weird" and "different" experimental stuff over plain dull, forgettable episodes. And there are a couple of those in DS9 season 1:

"The Passenger" (this must be Alexander Siddig's worst acting performance ever), "Battle Lines", "If Wishes Were Horses", "The Forsaken", "Dramatis Personae", even "Dax" are all less interesting, less rewatchable episodes IMO.

I laugh at Siddig's whispery, halting speech in "The Passenger." It was like he couldn't think of an accent or some other way to make his possessed persona different from his normal one so he decided...to start speaking... the way...William Shatner...emotes on stage.

"Battle Lines" is interesting to me in that it marks a spot of real growth for Kira. The plot of it? It makes no sense to me. I can't watch it without literally thinking of Kang in "Day of the Dove." "No doubt you will reassemble after I have hacked you to bits."

I really don't think these people are trying hard enough to kill each other.

"Dax" is all right, but I think it mostly suffers by the fact that Dax is just lifeless in this episode. I get the whole standing mute to protect Tandro's widow, but Dax's demeanor and delivery just exemplifies everything drab and dull about Dax until she turns over a new leaf in "Playing God."

I like "Dramatis Personae." If nothing else, I can never recall seeing the personalities of main characters flipped about so soon after a pilot.

"If Wishes Were Horses" was more 'nothing' than "Eden."

For me, Move Along Home was poor for several reasons.

1) I mentioned this earlier, it feels like a TOS episode. If this had been in TOS? I'd probably find it more tolerable.

2) It seemed particularly deflating to watch our heroes do such childish things. I imagine it was akin for Trek fans to watch a dwarf ride Kirk while spanking him. Sisko singing that stupid Alamarain (or however it is pronounced) spelled was cringe inducing.

3) The first official first contact is...the Wadi? If they had come later as a random alien group, it'd be more tolerable.

4) The "game" itself wreaked of them having run over budget (and it is admitted as such in behind the scenes). It's just hallways... Plus, the "game" was not that back breaking. To figure out how to survive the gas room - drink some juice. To get out of the singing room, follow the little girl's path while singing. Then they ended up in a cavern where they fail anyways? Maybe if it was a bit more surreal navigating through some creepy maze, I'd find the premise more tolerable.

5) Another Quark screws everyone over episode and all they do is give Quark a stern look. If I was a single parent like Sisko and Quark jeopardized my life as many times as he did in just season 1, his ass would have been booted a long time ago. Screw "community leader".

Edited by The Founder

I agree, the game is annoying, the characters have nothing worthwhile to do, and it feels outdated and silly...just the wrong tone for this show. 

I hear ya. It's understandable. Compared to how amazing the rest of the series is - this is a pretty glaring drop for DS9's quality. Even if it is season 1. I wonder if it'd be considered as bad if it was a VOY episode or just par for the course?

Yes it would be as bad, it would be one of the worst episodes of Voyager too although it wouldn't unseat 'Thresehold' as the worst episode of Voyager. Even if someone doesn't like the characters in Voyager, the viewer can tell if it's a passable script or not. The 'worst of Trek' episodes that most fans would list off usually have one thing in common, a mediocre script. We can forgive a bottle show with a low episode budget, we can tolerate an actor having an off performance, but if the script doesn't make sense there isn't much to salvage from an episode. 

4) The "game" itself wreaked of them having run over budget (and it is admitted as such in behind the scenes). It's just hallways... Plus, the "game" was not that back breaking. To figure out how to survive the gas room - drink some juice. To get out of the singing room, follow the little girl's path while singing. Then they ended up in a cavern where they fail anyways? Maybe if it was a bit more surreal navigating through some creepy maze, I'd find the premise more tolerable.

The game was too easy, wasn't it? At least until the caverns at the end. Where were they anyway? Were they onboard a Wadi ship near the station? It isn't clear.

Sign in to follow this