maneth

The Passenger

Episode Name: The Passenger

Episode Number: 8

Production Number: 409

Season: 1

Director: Paul Lynch

---

A sinister alien hides his consciousness in the brain of one of the station's crew, making it difficult to thwart a scheme to hijack a ship full of a valuable substance.

Just watched it last night. I thought it was alright, but for some reason I didnt like it much. I did like the usual Odo/Quark bickring and it was amusing as always.

I wasn't really impressed when I watched this episode last night. I knew it right from the start that the guy's consciousness was now in Bashir's brain... no real mystery here... but yeah, the Odo/Quark bickering sure was entertaining. Hehe. And I loved how pissed off Kira was about Bashir's attitude in the first scene. :laugh:

As Mrs P said the mystery part was predictable.

The most annoying thing about this episode is Bashir's voice towards the end when Vantika takes over his consciousness.

He starts talking like Kirk: "But...thats not...possible. They should...be shut...down by now." Its so irritating!!!

I wasn't really impressed when I watched this episode last night. I knew it right from the start that the guy's consciousness was now in Bashir's brain... no real mystery here... but yeah, the Odo/Quark bickering sure was entertaining. Hehe. And I loved how pissed off Kira was about Bashir's attitude in the first scene. :laugh:

You're right. It was painfully obvious that Bashir had been taken over. I'm someone who rarely figures these things out, but this was just so predictable.

As Mrs P said the mystery part was predictable.

The most annoying thing about this episode is Bashir's voice towards the end when Vantika takes over his consciousness.

He starts talking like Kirk: "But...thats not...possible. They should...be shut...down by now." Its so irritating!!!

I think it was poor acting on his part- like he had no idea how to get the evil accross any other way.

"Possessed" Bashir in this episode reminded me of a bad Dracula impersonator. The first season (much like TNG's first season) had a LOT of issues.

I give this one a 2.

Oh dear, where do I start with this one... first, let me say that I don't care for Early!Bashir at all (would someone please make him shut up about how brilliant he thinks he is, he IS a good doctor, no doubt, but there's no need to TELL everyone that), which means that an episode that focuses on him is not something I enjoy very much. And we've had episodes like this one before on Star Trek, y'know, the secretly!possessed crewmember part isn't exactly very... innovative. Especially not since everyone knows right from the start that it's Bashir whose mind is being "occupied" because the moment in which it happens is right there in the opening sequence. And indeed, what's with Bashir starting to talk like Kirk? What is going on, there was no need to emphasize so much on speech patterns, we GET it that Bashir is not Bashir anymore. The only thing that I like about the whole plot idea is that we get to see Bashir in command, lol.

What is also beginning to bother me is the whole Mary Sue thing they're pulling off with Dax. ALL men on DS9 want to buy her a drink, suuuure. I highly doubt that because surely not ALL men on DS9 are interested in women OR some of those who ARE might ACTUALLY think that Dax is NOT THEIR TYPE, omg, yes, that is actually possible. I just hate it when they turn a female character into an object by making her a trophy for ALL MEN. Ugh, no, stop it.

What I do like about the episode is the plot with Odo and that Starfleet security guy. I like how Sisko assures Odo that he is in command when Odo offers his resignation because he won't tolerate the whole Starfleet interference. Also, I like the scene in which Odo tells Quark that he likes to be alone. I can relate quite a lot to Early!Odo and it's refreshing to see a character who isn't very much into company and who keeps to himself and doesn't want to socialize. (I know Jean-Luc is similar most of the time, but still, Odo is even less interested in company than Jean-Luc is.) Another scene that I like a lot is the one in which Sisko is a total badass and just stuns Bashir like a boss when he's standing on the transporter platform, lol. Like a boss indeed.

And is it just me or are almost all early DS9 episodes about someone trying to murder someone else or having murdered someone else? lol I get that this ain't supposed to be TNG, but honestly, it's getting a bit much. ;)

All in all, I'm afraid I can't give this episode a very high rating. It gets a 3/10, but only just barely.

I don't even have a favorite quote for this one because nothing really struck me as particularly memorable or interesting...

I actually like this one less than you did; I give it a 2. :thumbdown:

And is it just me or are almost all early DS9 episodes about someone trying to murder someone else or having murdered someone else? lol I get that this ain't supposed to be TNG, but honestly, it's getting a bit much. ;)

I think this was the early years' mistake of trying too hard to be artificially 'edgy' and deliberately 'darker' than its predecessor. What they didn't realize at the time was that the edginess they sought would come naturally if they just let the situations and characters play themselves out. They already set up great tension with Bajor, the Cardassians and the Federation in this big melting pot of a station. And later on with the Klingons and the Dominion? There were plenty of opportunities for the kind of darker, edgier kinds of stories DS9 would (later) excel at. These random murder mysteries were kind of 'space fillers' (no pun intended).

For me, the best early DS9s were the ones about the conflicts between Starfleet and the Bajorans and the differences of opinion regarding how to run things ("In the Hands of the Prophets" is a perfect example) and the lingering tensions about the Cardassians ("Duet" would be another).

The episodes that featured whacky outside alien crap or mind control are some of my least favorites of DS9. "Passenger" & "Dramatis Personae" are two bad examples of this; DS9 shouldn't have offered up so many 'possession' or 'altered personality' episodes until we really know WHO these characters are yet. And of course (as mentioned above), the whodunnit murder mysteries were also a tad boring in those early years as well. Again; I'm not interested in murder mysteries of outsiders; I want to know our CORE characters first, not some random Mary Sue or Larry Stu..... :cylonnono:

Luckily, the show (like TNG) started to find its footing in season two and even more so in season 3. :thumbup:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I guess it's relatable Odo who's responsible for the 3/10 rating. If it had only been the Bashir-mind-control plot without anything else I probably would have given it a 1/10, lol.

And you're absolutely right, it's pretty clear that DS9 is going to be darker - they're aboard a CARDASSIAN space station above BAJOR that has just driven the Cardassians away, Bajor is not a member of the Federation, there are bound to be conflicts of interest because it's a joined operation and the station is next to an apparently rather mysterious and also valuable wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant. That setting alone is WAY different from TNG, and the characters who are assigned to such a space station certainly are a lot more diverse than those who get assigned to the flagship after a long and tedious application process that leaves only the best of the best of the best (I'm not saying the DS9 folks are bad officers, though, I'm just saying that DS9 assignments are for those who most likely DON'T WANT to serve aboard the flagship in the first place for various reasons, except for O'Brien, maybe, he kinda knows both worlds).

The writers should've had more faith in those "darker setting" facts, but then, who does when you're starting a new show that you DESPERATELY want to be different from ANY Star Trek that has been there before by making it a lot darker... it's understandable that they went the way they went by using known plot devices in a much darker setting.

Oh and I also love "Duet", by the way! :)

I guess it's relatable Odo who's responsible for the 3/10 rating. If it had only been the Bashir-mind-control plot without anything else I probably would have given it a 1/10, lol.

And you're absolutely right, it's pretty clear that DS9 is going to be darker - they're aboard a CARDASSIAN space station above BAJOR that has just driven the Cardassians away, Bajor is not a member of the Federation, there are bound to be conflicts of interest because it's a joined operation and the station is next to an apparently rather mysterious and also valuable wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant. That setting alone is WAY different from TNG, and the characters who are assigned to such a space station certainly are a lot more diverse than those who get assigned to the flagship after a long and tedious application process that leaves only the best of the best of the best (I'm not saying the DS9 folks are bad officers, though, I'm just saying that DS9 assignments are for those who most likely DON'T WANT to serve aboard the flagship in the first place for various reasons, except for O'Brien, maybe, he kinda knows both worlds).

The writers should've had more faith in those "darker setting" facts, but then, who does when you're starting a new show that you DESPERATELY want to be different from ANY Star Trek that has been there before by making it a lot darker... it's understandable that they went the way they went by using known plot devices in a much darker setting.

Oh and I also love "Duet", by the way! :)

"Duet" is ten shades of amazing. One of my top five DS9s of all time.

"Passenger"? Not so much... and I absolutely HATED Bashir's 'Vantinka-possessed' line readings in this episodes. He sounds like he's auditioning for a really bad dinner theatre production of "Dracula"....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I wonder if someone TOLD Siddig to talk like that or if he came up with it himself... it's REALLY REALLY irritating...

I wonder if someone TOLD Siddig to talk like that or if he came up with it himself... it's REALLY REALLY irritating...

I hope it was a director's choice.... I've seen him do soooo much better (not just on ST, either; he's had roles in "Syriana" and other good movies/TV shows).

I hope it was a director's choice.... I've seen him do soooo much better (not just on ST, either; he's had roles in "Syriana" and other good movies/TV shows).

I haven't seen him in anything other than DS9 but I do like him there, I really don't think he's a bad actor or something - the irritating speech pattern as possessed!Bashir just made him look like one somehow, lol.

I haven't seen him in anything other than DS9 but I do like him there, I really don't think he's a bad actor or something - the irritating speech pattern as possessed!Bashir just made him look like one somehow, lol.

He did pretty good in Kingdom of Heaven as one of Sal'hadin's generals.

He did pretty good in Kingdom of Heaven as one of Sal'hadin's generals.

That WAS good....

I saw this episode a while back but I wanted to continue my reviews. Sorry if it isn't as detailed.

Not a terrible episode, but nothing stand out as others have stated. We knew from the get go that Bashir would be "possessed" by Rao. The episode seemed more like a vehicle for a bit more character development - something I do not mind at all.

We see more of Odo working with Primmin, the Starfleet security officer. I wish he had stayed on longer. I know Michael Eddington kind of replaces this character and he was a good character, but Primmin was there from the beginning.

This was another episode of Quark being aligned, whether inadvertently or not, with the bad guy. And another episode where he is not punished for it.

I agree that Siddig, as wonderful as he is, does a really hammy performance of an "evil" version of himself. His acting, while I do think it gets a lot better, was pretty poor in season 1. No offense to him, but I am surprised he got past the initial casting calls.

According to Memory Alpha, they too were not very happy with the voice Bashir chose.

For the below line alone, I'll add a point.

6/10

"What kind of fool are you?!"
"My own special variety."

- Ty Kajada and Odo

The episodes that featured whacky outside alien crap or mind control are some of my least favorites of DS9. "Passenger" & "Dramatis Personae" are two bad examples of this; DS9 shouldn't have offered up so many 'possession' or 'altered personality' episodes until we really know WHO these characters are yet. And of course (as mentioned above), the whodunnit murder mysteries were also a tad boring in those early years as well. Again; I'm not interested in murder mysteries of outsiders; I want to know our CORE characters first, not some random Mary Sue or Larry Stu..... :cylonnono:

Going through the entire series, I felt that the 'body possession' plot was overused. It wasn't just an early season phenomenon. Sometimes it was voluntary, like in Facets. Sometimes the pah-wraiths would take over a body like Kieko. While not body possession, the prophets 'borrowed' the image of Sisko's friends.

Also agreed that Siddig was pretty bad in this episode.

Not the worst plot idea, but still a very predictable, dull episode with terrible acting by Siddig (and I say that despite enjoying his later performances and loving the character). A totally forgettable season 1 episode IMO, like there are several others. You can easily skip it and lose nothing.

I'd say about half of DS9 season 1 is pretty bad, or at very least forgettable. You don't miss much when you skip season 1 after the pilot and continue with "Duet" -- and I say that although I am totally in love with DS9 in general and think it's the strongest ST series of them all.

Season 1 only gets 4/10 from me, and most of that is for the general idea and the last two episodes of the season. "The Passenger" is a pretty good example for the sentiment behind this.

Edited by Sim

Sign in to follow this