maneth

Dax

Episode Name: Dax

Episode Number: 7

Production Number: 408

Season: 1

Director: David Carson

---

Jadzia Dax is accused of a murder committed by Curzon Dax, and speculation abounds whether a new host can be held accountable for a former host's actions. The stakes are high.

I watched this episode last night... and I wasn't really impressed. It was all too predictable that Curzon and that general's wife had had an affair and that Jadzia was trying to protect that secret in order to protect the general's wife. *shrug*

And the whole "Bashir has a crush on Dax" thingy is really getting on my nerves. If I were her, I'd slap him really hard if he got too close and make it clear that I'm not interested in the slightest. -.-

I DID like the scene with Odo and Quark when Odo 'convinced' Quark that his bar would be the perfect place for that hearing, though. :thumbsup2:

So, this episode only gets a 5/10 from me. :dontgetit:

And the whole "Bashir has a crush on Dax" thingy is really getting on my nerves. If I were her, I'd slap him really hard if he got too close and make it clear that I'm not interested in the slightest. -.-

Ahh but at this point we didn't know that she actually liked the chase ;)

Ahh but at this point we didn't know that she actually liked the chase ;)

Oh, I can see that she enjoys it. ;) It's kinda obvious that she's flattered and all. I guess I just have a lower tolerance level when it comes to guys behaving like Bashir does. ;) I mean he's getting on MY nerves and I'm not even the "victim"! o_O *lol*

I love this episode. I really like how Jadzia is so determined to not disgrace Curzon Dax that she risks everything for it.

Sisko goes to space court to defend Dax and his bombast reaches record levels. This is perhaps the worst DS9 ep of all time. :thumbdown:

I liked this episode for all the characterization- except for the main one- Dax.

This is the first of several episodes that show what a flake this woman is. If her accuser had dwelt more on this aspect he might have hauled her off to face execution before his mother showed up.

I wonder what we were supposed to think of such a person- that she was noble because she would have risked her life/career to Starfleet over a seedy indiscretion committed by someone else?

With all the brilliant qualities she supposedly possesses it never occurred to her that as Jadzia Dax it was her moral right and intellectual duty to speak with the woman Curzon had had the affair with to let her know what was going on. Jadzia was pretty, kind, highly educated and disciplined but the writers needed to flaw her in some way and constantly had her make idiotic and weak minded decisions.

Edit: and the irony is that those decisions were probably meant to make her seem more perfect than she already appeared to be.

Edited by Artemis

Guest jadzia_dax2370

hey fellow niners

i liked the episode. give it a 9.

you learnt more about dax and who she was/ had been

I just finished re-watching this episode... and I still don't like it very much. I'm not really into all these episodes that deal with Jadzia Dax and her previous hosts, to be honest. One episode would've been enough if you ask me. Everyone knows what a Trill is, yes, they have different hosts, yes, they have a symbiont, yes, the symbiont changes hosts... we GET it. (Don't misunderstand me here, though, I like Jadzia Dax, I really do.)

And then there's still the annoying Bashir issue that continues to still bother me, but at least he got his butt kicked properly for his stupid "well she didn't exactly say no, now did she, so, Imma follow her" attitude. Serves him right.

What I do like about the episode is the sassy Bajoran judge and the way Sisko tries to defend Dax. (I can't help it, I have a soft spot for the Sisko/Dax pairing and in this episode the ship pretty much sails itself.)

Everything else is pretty mediocre, however - what I also did not understand was that the widow of that general just has to walk in and declare that Dax is innocent because he was in her bed when that message was sent... erm, does she have... erm... evidence? Why is her statement treated like as if it's final? I don't really get it, but then, maybe I didn't pay enough attention. The episode really bores me to tears... and while I do appreciate Sisko and his efforts, he ain't no Jean-Luc in the court room. I prefer him making unconventional decisions and occasionally yelling at people while doing so. But I just think that diplomacy and court room scenes aren't his strongest suit. Please don't hit me...?

This episode actually gets a 4/10 from me now because it just really is kinda lame.

The award for the favorite quote moment goes to the sassy Bajoran judge: "In short, I intend being here until supper, not senility. Understood?" < LMFAO!

I just finished re-watching this episode... and I still don't like it very much. I'm not really into all these episodes that deal with Jadzia Dax and her previous hosts, to be honest. One episode would've been enough if you ask me. Everyone knows what a Trill is, yes, they have different hosts, yes, they have a symbiont, yes, the symbiont changes hosts... we GET it. (Don't misunderstand me here, though, I like Jadzia Dax, I really do.)

And then there's still the annoying Bashir issue that continues to still bother me, but at least he got his butt kicked properly for his stupid "well she didn't exactly say no, now did she, so, Imma follow her" attitude. Serves him right.

What I do like about the episode is the sassy Bajoran judge and the way Sisko tries to defend Dax. (I can't help it, I have a soft spot for the Sisko/Dax pairing and in this episode the ship pretty much sails itself.)

Everything else is pretty mediocre, however - what I also did not understand was that the widow of that general just has to walk in and declare that Dax is innocent because he was in her bed when that message was sent... erm, does she have... erm... evidence? Why is her statement treated like as if it's final? I don't really get it, but then, maybe I didn't pay enough attention. The episode really bores me to tears... and while I do appreciate Sisko and his efforts, he ain't no Jean-Luc in the court room. I prefer him making unconventional decisions and occasionally yelling at people while doing so. But I just think that diplomacy and court room scenes aren't his strongest suit. Please don't hit me...?

This episode actually gets a 4/10 from me now because it just really is kinda lame.

The award for the favorite quote moment goes to the sassy Bajoran judge: "In short, I intend being here until supper, not senility. Understood?" < LMFAO!

I guess I'm more of a romantic. :P I gave it a 7. :thumbup:

I thought it was kind of sweet (though incredibly stupid) that Dax was offering her life to protect a widow's virtue.

Also one of the first 'stepping stones' in the acting evolution of Terry Farrell; who, admittedly, wasn't very good at first. Kind of a typical model-turned-actress. But as the years went on, she REALLY honed her craft; much like Battlestar Galactica's Tricia Helfer, who went from a sex toy mannequin (BSG 2003 miniseries/first season) to a fully believable traumatized rape/assault victim (BSG's "Pegasus" arc) over two years (and did so very convincingly). Terry Farrell had a similar journey. I grew to love the character and admire the actress. And this episode was a pivotal turning point to that end.

Like the lady said, "Live, Jadzia Dax...."

Too bad she doesn't. :(

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I thought this was a rather poor way to introduce the Dax character. She comes across as a bit of an apathetic airy-fairy drip in this episode and, despite the title, from what I can remember the meat of it is really with Odo on a planet that looks remarkably like Angel One.

I think the original thought behind Dax was for her to be the Spock character, someone who was old and wise; a scientist who responded to situations rationally and without much emotion. Thankfully this premise was abandoned and the actress got to be more funny (and fun).

Thank goodness for later episodes like Blood Oath. - That was when she started to become interesting. Alas, in the first season, I don't think anyone really knew what to do with the character (very much like Troi in early TNG I think).

I thought this was a rather poor way to introduce the Dax character. She comes across as a bit of an apathetic airy-fairy drip in this episode and, despite the title, from what I can remember the meat of it is really with Odo on a planet that looks remarkably like Angel One.

I think the original thought behind Dax was for her to be the Spock character, someone who was old and wise; a scientist who responded to situations rationally and without much emotion. Thankfully this premise was abandoned and the actress got to be more funny (and fun).

Thank goodness for later episodes like Blood Oath. - That was when she started to become interesting. Alas, in the first season, I don't think anyone really knew what to do with the character (very much like Troi in early TNG I think).

The airy fairy thing (whilst annoying at first; by Sisko's reaction) is (IMO) partially attributable to the actress finding her acting chops. She probably didn't have a good idea of how to play the material, so she went with a weird kind of benign stoicism. I don't know why, but (many flaws aside) I still like this one. I just wish it could've been produced later on when the actors knew their roles better.

And of note; it was written by TOS/TAS/TNG legendary scribe, Dorothy Fontana, who also penned the almost unwatchable TNG, "Lonely Among Us" (which I hope was just a victim of massive rewrites by Roddenberry's people). I find it hard to believe the author of "Journey to Babel", "Yesteryear" and so many other classics could've fell so far). I know she left TNG and Roddenberry on bad terms; she said as much on Rod Roddenberry's documentary Trek Nation.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

The airy fairy thing (whilst annoying at first; by Sisko's reaction) is (IMO) partially attributable to the actress finding her acting chops.

You're absolutely right. Farrell was the last actor cast, way later than everyone else. In fact, production of Emissary was already well underway before she was signed.

Her performance is understandable; many series regulars take a while to find their feet, that's usually why First Seasons tend to suck ;)

it was written by TOS/TAS/TNG legendary scribe, Dorothy Fontana, who also penned the almost unwatchable TNG, "Lonely Among Us"

Another first season episode, I rest my case :)

Actually, I'm not sure but I might prefer Lonely Among Us to Dax; at least more happens, even if it does have that melodramatic feel that all first season TNG did.

I remember reading that D. C. Fontana wrote (or at least contributed) to many more episodes of both TOS and TNG that, after re-writes, she later requested her credit to be removed (and/or she used a pseudonym).

The airy fairy thing (whilst annoying at first; by Sisko's reaction) is (IMO) partially attributable to the actress finding her acting chops.

You're absolutely right. Farrell was the last actor cast, way later than everyone else. In fact, production of Emissary was already well underway before she was signed.

Her performance is understandable; many series regulars take a while to find their feet, that's usually why First Seasons tend to suck ;)

it was written by TOS/TAS/TNG legendary scribe, Dorothy Fontana, who also penned the almost unwatchable TNG, "Lonely Among Us"

Another first season episode, I rest my case :)

Actually, I'm not sure but I might prefer Lonely Among Us to Dax; at least more happens, even if it does have that melodramatic feel that all first season TNG did.

I remember reading that D. C. Fontana wrote (or at least contributed) to many more episodes of both TOS and TNG that, after re-writes, she later requested her credit to be removed (and/or she used a pseudonym).

She ghost wrote (or rewrote) many episodes; especially in season one. She did a virtual total rewrite of Jerry Sohl's "The Way of the Spores" (which became "This Side Of Paradise"). She started as Roddenberry's secretary and later became his story editor shortly into season one. Her pen name (largely used in season 3) was Michael Richards (not to be confused with the actor who plays Kramer on "Seinfeld..... hee hee).

I love "Lonely Among Us", it's among my top 10 TNG episodes, so, for ME this writer issue is no excuse. :P

I'm NOT romantic at all, which is probably also why I didn't care for "Dax". I do understand the whole issue of no one knowing what exactly to do with Dax, though. And I think Dax's stoic reaction to the whole thing makes sense in a strange way - I mean I know what it's like when you gave a serious promise to someone and it's better to say nothing than saying anything. Still, though, I don't understand the finer nuances of romance/relationships anyway, maybe that's why the message of the episode just sails WAY past me...

She ghost wrote (or rewrote) many episodes; especially in season one. She did a virtual total rewrite of Jerry Sohl's "The Way of the Spores" (which became "This Side Of Paradise"). She started as Roddenberry's secretary and later became his story editor shortly into season one. Her pen name (largely used in season 3) was Michael Richards (not to be confused with the actor who plays Kramer on "Seinfeld..... hee hee).

Yeah, I heard Michael Richards was a combination of the first two names of her two brothers.

She said she didn't like the way the third season of TOS was going and wanted to get away.

I like (and agree with) her philosophy that "Writing should be about characters".

She also wrote the teleplay for The Naked Now (TNG), but replaced her name with "J. Michael Bingham".

More recently, she wrote an episode for the Phase II fan series in which Walter Koenig reprised his role as Chekov.

I love "Lonely Among Us", it's among my top 10 TNG episodes, so, for ME this writer issue is no excuse. :P

I'm NOT romantic at all, which is probably also why I didn't care for "Dax". I do understand the whole issue of no one knowing what exactly to do with Dax, though. And I think Dax's stoic reaction to the whole thing makes sense in a strange way - I mean I know what it's like when you gave a serious promise to someone and it's better to say nothing than saying anything. Still, though, I don't understand the finer nuances of romance/relationships anyway, maybe that's why the message of the episode just sails WAY past me...

Think we need to get that emotion chip installed someday.... :P:laugh:

I don't want an emotion chip. No way. I'm just glad my girlfriend doesn't mind that she's basically dating a mixture between a Vulcan and Data when it comes to romance and emotions. :P

Honestly, I'm beginning to realize that this might be why I never managed to get into DS9. Too many character relationships that I don't understand, lol.

I don't want an emotion chip. No way. I'm just glad my girlfriend doesn't mind that she's basically dating a mixture between a Vulcan and Data when it comes to romance and emotions. :P

Honestly, I'm beginning to realize that this might be why I never managed to get into DS9. Too many character relationships that I don't understand, lol.

Maybe we should take you to the holodeck and have you reenact scenes from Shakespeare and Dickens.... :laugh:

Maybe we should take you to the holodeck and have you reenact scenes from Shakespeare and Dickens.... :laugh:

Ugh, no... I don't really care for either one of them... don't tell Jean-Luc that I said that, please. ;) I'll muddle my way through DS9 without that kind of help. :P

Ugh, no... I don't really care for either one of them... don't tell Jean-Luc that I said that, please. ;) I'll muddle my way through DS9 without that kind of help. :P

Keep us informed on your muddling, OK? :laugh:

Sign in to follow this