Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheile

Rate this character: Kai Winn

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   199 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

I gave her a 6; Kai had her moments, especially earlier on the show and the actress did a wonderful job with the role. She represented the "dark side" of Bajoran culture and I regret the show made her such a horrible person later on. They always had those nice, good Cardassians showing up so we could sympathize with them, but when it came to making Bajorans look bad it was always extremes and villainous and overly cartoony, it was difficult to have a middle term and early-Kai was pretty much it. Later she became this evil overlord or whatever that it was so lame, but yeah

I gave her a 6; Kai had her moments, especially earlier on the show and the actress did a wonderful job with the role. She represented the "dark side" of Bajoran culture and I regret the show made her such a horrible person later on. They always had those nice, good Cardassians showing up so we could sympathize with them, but when it came to making Bajorans look bad it was always extremes and villainous and overly cartoony, it was difficult to have a middle term and early-Kai was pretty much it. Later she became this evil overlord or whatever that it was so lame, but yeah

I completely disagree.

I thought Winn was a great character because, like Dukat, she wasn't "pure evil". Her morals were certainly looser than the average Federation captain's, but she had depth, she wasn't just a one-dimensional bad guy.

You could understand her character; she was ambitious and egotistical, but they aren't necessarily "evil" qualities per se. It's not like she was a mass murderer or anything (although she did try and have Bareil killed to eliminate the competition).

With this exception though, she wasn't much different than the politicians we have today, although she was perhaps a bit exaggerated at times.

You could understand where she was coming from though. She was highly religious and wanted nothing more than to be touched by her Prophets, but they consistently refused to speak to her. It must have been extremely frustrating when everyone around her was having Orb experiences and seeing visions of the prophets, yet despite devoting her entire life to that goal, she never got any reward.

During the occupation, she wasn't in the Resistance, but she was beaten by the Cardassians for teaching the word of the Prophets. This did not deter her though. She believed completely in the Prophets, this faith made her both strong and vulnerable. This was why it was so easy for Dukat and the Pah Wraiths to manipulate her, by pretending to be the Prophets, they gave her the one thing she had always wanted.

You only need to look at the World today to see Religious leaders who use their faith to justify acts which are morally wrong. The constant discrimination against homosexuals is one recent example, but going back into history will reveal things even worse. Among a population where being religious is the rule rather than the exception, such misguided people would have even more influence and be even more dangerous.

@ Zef'No

I see what you mean, and I agree; especially for early-Kai.

What I meant was that isn’t her actions and reasons per-see that bothered me; it was the treatment she received later on the show. At first she was exactly everything you said, but later when the Dukat/Kai subplot started, it was a major sudden shift on her character that sounded too over the top for my taste.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like her character a lot and I am a huge fan of villains in general; I just think the writers didn’t had to go down that road with her, especially after she found out the farmer was actually Dukat. I find it hard to believe she’d have continued the search for the Pah Wraiths, putting everything she’d worked for, not to mention the safety of Bajor in jeopardy. Sure she was frustraded and feeling betrayed, but I don't think that justifies putting at risk killing half Bajor....

I don’t know, that subplot was so completely unnecessary for me it lost some of the beauty of the character imo

I gave her an 8.

I hate her.... but since I'm SUPPOSED to hate her, that means the actress is doing her job.

The represents not only the religiously hypocritical among us, but also the political hypocrites as well. And I love her calm, melodic, 'my child' platitudes that she not only substitutes for sincerity but also uses as a mask for her hostility. It's a subconscious way to remind those she considers beneath her that they are but 'children' to her.

And Academy award winner Louise Fletcher really sinks her teeth into the role.

The only reason I don't give her a 10 is because she went a little bit too hammy and unrestrained with the role in season 7 (partly her fault; partly the writers/directors) and become a bit too camp and comedic. Her ridiculous, grape-eating relationship with the disguised Gul Dukat was about as convincing as a pair of Batman villains from the 1960s series. A shame her arc had to end so over the top like that (I would've expected Dukat's arc to do so, but not Kai Winn).

Edited by Sehlat Vie

a big fat 10!

Like most of you I hate that woman too but she's so well played by Louise Fletcher.

I could not stand that character. She just frell's me off, the voice, just every thing.

a big fat 0 from me.

I could not stand that character. She just frell's me off, the voice, just every thing.

a big fat 0 from me.

But if you hate the character, doesn't that mean the actor is doing their job?  ;)

a big fat 0 from me.

But if you hate the character, doesn't that mean the actor is doing their job?  ;)

Exactly.

I feel she is a great character and well acted -- *just because* I actually hate her! :D

When she comes with her hypocritical religious blather, I want to punch her in the face... just exactly as the writers intended! Job well done, I'd say!

a big fat 0 from me.

Exactly.

I feel she is a great character and well acted -- *just because* I actually hate her! :D

When she comes with her hypocritical religious blather, I want to punch her in the face... just exactly as the writers intended! Job well done, I'd say!

Louise Fletcher evoked a similar audience reaction as the infamous Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975), for which she deservedly won an Oscar.   When Nicholson's Randall McMurphy finally loses it and strangles her, he's kind of doing it for the entire audience, after her disciplining/shaming of "Billy" (played by VGR's Brad Dourif) led to his suicide.

Louise Fletcher has a long history of playing characters that audiences love to hate. :thumbup:

a big fat 0 from me.

Exactly.

Louise Fletcher evoked a similar audience reaction as the infamous Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975), for which she deservedly won an Oscar.   When Nicholson's Randall McMurphy finally loses it and strangles her, he's kind of doing it for the entire audience, after her disciplining/shaming of "Billy" (played by VGR's Brad Dourif) led to his suicide.

Louise Fletcher has a long history of playing characters that audiences love to hate. :thumbup:

Oh yes! It's been two years or so, since I last saw "Cuckoo's Nest", but I remember that!

She reminds me a bit of my mother-in-law. Except the latter is worse... :P

Anyway, amazing actress!

I feel the same way. She played the role so well. I loved how she acted so "innocent" but was one of the most evil characters of the franchise. As Sehlat stated, the actress did such an amazing job.

I still wonder if she truly "repented" when she tried to help Sisko in the Fire Caves.

I feel the same way. She played the role so well. I loved how she acted so "innocent" but was one of the most evil characters of the franchise. As Sehlat stated, the actress did such an amazing job.

I still wonder if she truly "repented" when she tried to help Sisko in the Fire Caves.

I like to think she wised up in the last few moments of her life.

Kinda late though... :S

Depends on what her religion says. With some religions, you can be a horrible person your entire life but if you're really, really sorry, just before you die,  you get into heaven. 

Depends on what her religion says. With some religions, you can be a horrible person your entire life but if you're really, really sorry, just before you die,  you get into heaven. 

I think the Bajoran church needs to close that loophole... :P

Not for Sisko, though. ;) Because she did that - he knew how to defeat the possessed Dukat. A perfect representation of "better later than never" :P

Not for Sisko, though. ;) Because she did that - he knew how to defeat the possessed Dukat. A perfect representation of "better later than never" :P

True, and a good point, but I kinda meant for her... :laugh: