Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

13 hours ago, maneth said:

The Last Jedi. Good but not great. Certainly not a flawless movie, but I'm not panning it either. Entertaining for sure. That said, I enjoyed the standalone Rogue One more than I have enjoyed any SW movies since the original trilogy...

^
This.

I still plan to give TLJ another try soon, but the fact that I’m kinda dragging my feet on it says something... :dontgetit:

Today I just bought Blade Runner 2049 on blu ray and I plan to break into the bonus features tomorrow.  :thumbup:

Watched a really good little movie called "A Ghost Story."  It is a slow moving meditation on time and memory, about a man who dies and becomes a ghost, walking around in the classic white sheet with eye holes cut out...at first watching his romantic partner live following his death, and then as he continues his long march through time once she has left him.  It was a rather beautiful little movie in my opinion...though it has very little dialogue and is practically a silent movie for most of it's runtime, but there was something about a movie that just felt so completely on the opposite spectrum of the big Hollywood fare. It had barely any special effects, little dialogue, and wasn't even shot in widescreen. It isn't for everyone, but I thought it was haunting and beautiful, and has left me thinking it's meaning over a bit, which is always a good sign. 

Last Saturday I saw “The Post”; with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep.  

0104_the-post-5.jpg

It’s the true story about the Washington Post’s famed release of “The Pentagon Papers”; a top-secret 30 year analysis regarding the futility of the Vietnam situation, in which several US presidents admitted that Vietnam was a no-win scenario before they committed troops there.   Think of it as a “Rogue One” to “All the President’s Men”’s New Hope.   Good movie.   More timely than ever, too.   You could change a few names and it could apply to Trump’s White House today (his fear of a free press, for example).

A very un-Spielberg Spielberg movie; more “Bridge of Spies” or “Catch Me If You Can” than his earlier work.

Last night, my wife was battling a nasty cold, but after a long day of taking care of her and doing chores around the house, I really needed some entertainment; so I took a couple hours to see a 4K presentation of “Blade Runner” at our local cinema.

br002policehq_4k.jpg

Oh man, that was JUST what I needed.   The movie looked just gorgeous, the presentation was perfect, and best of all?  The audience was TOTALLY quiet the whole time.   It was beautiful...

On 1/30/2018 at 6:14 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Last Saturday I saw “The Post”; with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep.  

0104_the-post-5.jpg

It’s the true story about the Washington Post’s famed release of “The Pentagon Papers”; a top-secret 30 year analysis regarding the futility of the Vietnam situation, in which several US presidents admitted that Vietnam was a no-win scenario before they committed troops there.   Think of it as a “Rogue One” to “All the President’s Men”’s New Hope.   Good movie.   More timely than ever, too.   You could change a few names and it could apply to Trump’s White House today (his fear of a free press, for example).

A very un-Spielberg Spielberg movie; more “Bridge of Spies” or “Catch Me If You Can” than his earlier work.

I saw this weeks ago and it was wonderful. I wasn't expecting the feminist thread woven throughout, and it was a pleasant surprise that added a little more humanity to the whole thing.

Last movie I saw:

Through Amazon Prime, I sampled "Magellan" (2017) Signals indicative of intelligence found in the outer solar system. The US sends Commander Roger Nelson on a solo mission to investigate.

It's a poor man's very low budget 2001. Despite his efforts, Brandon Ray Olive doesn't have the gravitas to hold a film by himself talking to himself or the computer like Matt Damon.

It's not offensive enough to call "bad," it's just numbingly bland. 

Today is the last day of the Carnaval holiday here in Brazil, and I took the time this evening to watch the 3-hour long TV version of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, just released on Blu-Ray and on sale for only $17 on Amazon.com. I have this version recorded from a US TV station during the 80s (thanks to Bill Williams) but thats is the first time I saw the 3-hour version in HD and in widescreen ! Wow, Spectacular, SUPERMAN THE MOVIE never looked better than this and its glorious to see this extended cut in all its glory. Highly recommended ! Super recommended ! RIP Chris Reeve

27858527_10215772263638754_7124691807307

Clip from the 3-hour TV version of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, available on Blu-Ray in wwidescreen HD !

Someone is trying to destroy Metropolis !"
"Actually sir, I think its heading for New Jersey..."
"New Jersey ? Where the hell is New Jersey ?"

Gus
Edited by GustavoLeao

“Jackie” (2016) with Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy.

jackie.png

A surprisingly mundane and non-revelatory historical pic with little-to-nothing new to offer.  It covers Jackie’s story during her time in the White House, as recalled to a journalist shortly after her husband’s assassination.  Portman is a technically-perfect Jackie, though her performance is so modulated and measured that it feels like it lacks soul.  

A pleasant surprise seeing the late John Hurt as an Irish Catholic priest, but not much else to recommend this movie.

Last night popped in "The Godfather,"  which is still just as tremendous as it has always been.

Black Panther (No spoilers)

This film continues my streak of much preferring Marvel movies with a bit more heft that don't feel like they need to hit every little "Marvel mass audience" checkbox like, say Spider-Man: Homecoming. I think I'll always give Ant-Man a pass for being lighthearted though simply because the humor seems more natural and less forced given the premise.

- This film has a good bit of dramatic heft.

- A little honest social commentary.

- African culture was shown more honest love in 2.5 hours than Voyager managed for Native American culture in 7 years. This film made me ponder again all the things they COULD have done with Chakotay and the richness they could have added if they had made a point to embrace the culture. 

- A bad guy in Killmonger you can't quite hate because he has honest, understandable reasons for what he does.

This was a great Marvel entry to the point where I left kind of excited for the prospect of a sequel.

20 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Totally agree. Loved every second of BLACK PANTHER. Best super hero movie since SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and THE DARK KNIGHT.

Gus

I've had high hopes for it since the first trailer and it didn't disappoint. I'll probably see it again in a week or two.