Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Geeeee, I must be 12 years old.....

LOL

Gus

As Rod Stewart would say, “forever young.”  ;)

Yes, we do. :)

As to the topic, just got back from Lady Bird, the story of a teenager at the bridge between child and adult trying to figure out the person she will be and, in some ways seeing her life for the first time.

Saorise Ronan has always impressed, and while this film is more subdued than "Brooklyn," she is already one of those actors that makes acting seems effortless, Laurie Metcalf continues to be a force of nature wherever she does.

Excellent, excellent film.

Continuing my on going mission in the search of lost 1970s TV Pilots here is the first WONDER WOMAN (1974). Before Lynda Carter took the heroine back to World War II for her "New, Original Wonder Woman" incarnation, statuesque Tennis Pro turned performer Cathy Lee Crosby swung the magic lasso in a very different TV incarnation, the 1974 unsold pilot of WONDER WOMAN. As developed by scribe John D.F. Black (Star Trek, Shaft), and seemingly influenced by her recent turn as a mod, cat-suited crime-fighter in the pages of her DC Comics home, this Amazon Princess was more superspy than superhero. But fret not, four-color fans!

Many of the expected wondrous elements from bracelets and lassos to Paradise Island and invisible jets, all make an appearance, albeit with a sleek, seventies espionage superaction refit. Ricardo Montalban plays the laconic lothario who lurks at the top of a conspiracy to make off with ultra-secret code books, leading Agent Prince to discover an Amazon sister-in-exile (Anitra Ford). This TV Movie is available on DVD from Warner Archives.

24059059_10215065960821625_4658419437788

Gus

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yes, we do. :)

As to the topic, just got back from Lady Bird, the story of a teenager at the bridge between child and adult trying to figure out the person she will be and, in some ways seeing her life for the first time.

Saorise Ronan has always impressed, and while this film is more subdued than "Brooklyn," she is already one of those actors that makes acting seems effortless, Laurie Metcalf continues to be a force of nature wherever she does.

Excellent, excellent film.

Trying to talk my wife into seeing this one.  I like a good drama, she prefers the action/fantasy epics.  That's our marriage....:laugh:

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Trying to talk my wife into seeing this one.  I like a good drama, she prefers the action/fantasy epics.  That's our marriage....:laugh:

As I recall, she liked Brooklyn. If so, I expect she'll like this.

If she doesn't wanna go, put your foot down. You're the man, exert your authoritah. Works for me all the time.*

" She turns, gives me the glare and does what she was going to do in the first place. :)

Edited by prometheus59650

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

As I recall, she liked Brooklyn. If so, I expect she'll like this.

If she doesn't wanna go, put your foot down. You're the man, exert your authoritah. Works for me all the time.*

" She turns, gives me the glare and does what she was going to do in the first place. :)

That too, about sums it up...:P

The explosive and classic ending of cult movie THE CAR (1977) - SATAN REVEALS HIMSELF (YouTube link) !!!! Really, folks ! How we can forget this 1977 movie starring James Brolin, who became a classic in low budget moviemaking ? Go get the new remastered Blu-Ray and prepare for 90 minutes of terror !

24174421_10215082987887291_3215603436817

Gus

Last night I was in the mood for something awful, so I popped in Ed Wood’s masterpiece, “Plan Nine From Outer Space” (1959)

Though I think Tommy Wiseau’s “The Room” (2003) is far worse, P9FOS is hilarious; it looks like it was made by an incompetent toddler.  Lives up to its camp/cult reputation.

Started watching a movie I’ve not seen in over a decade, “Amadeus” (1984) The Director’s Cut.

MV5BNTFjMzcyYjQtNThjNi00NmNmLWJiOTEtOWQy

I love this movie (saw it in theatrical release when I was a teen), and I’ve owned it for a long time but I’ve never really watched the director’s cut of it.

***** MINOR SPOILERS ******

First impressions; the added material I’ve seen (so far) hasn’t really been critical to the story, but there is one scene that I really didn’t like (a clumsy and humiliating seduction attempt by Salieri with Mozart’s wife, Constanza...to be honest, it only made both characters look worse).   The rest have been things that were inferred by the viewer in dialogue (Mozart taking pupils, etc), but not seen.   Again, nothing too important.

MV5BMDNjM2Y2YTMtNDg3Ni00YjQ1LTg3YWQtOGFm

But the movie is still magnificent; the gorgeous music, the candle-lit photography and Dick Smith’s incredible age makeup.  WOW...

Tonight, my wife and I watched “The Empire Strikes Back” (1980).

the_empire_strikes_back_darth_vader_ligh

Still one of the GREATEST movies (let alone sequels) ever made.

kenman   

Been watching a ton of stuff, but haven't been posting.  Quite a few Godzilla movies actually, "Ebirah, Horror From the Deep" (average),  "Son of Godzilla" (sort of fun), "Destroy All Monsters" (disposable but a fun collection of monsters), "All Monsters Attack" (an all out comedy that seems pointless next to "Destroy All Monsters," but actually remember seeing this one as a kid) "Godzilla vs Hedorah" (while somewhat weird with animated cutaways and others stuff...I rather liked this one, it at least didn't look as much like a Saturday morning kids show) and "Godzilla vs Gigan" (in someways a return to form for the franchise, solid monster action with an actual plot, instead of just excuses to get as many monsters on screen as possible). 

And then I watched some newer good stuff.  Saw "Lucky" starring Harry Dean Stanton...which is great, possibly my favorite film of the year.  Nothing even really happens in it...but I loved every frame of the thing.  Stanton is great in it, as is David Lynch.

I also saw "The Disaster Artist," which is decent enough if you like "The Room."  It isn't the best movie in the world, but Franco is surprisingly great as Wiseau.  His performance carries the whole thing, because he manages to walk that fine line before it devolves into complete parody. 

Another great new film I manage to see was "The Shape of Water" which is an excellent new fantasy romance from Guillermo Del Toro. It is very much a fairy tale with the 1960s Cold War as a backdrop...and I really loved it.  Just looks gorgeous and while it is most certainly weird, I really enjoyed it. 

Edited by kenman

7 hours ago, kenman said:

Been watching a ton of stuff, but haven't been posting.  Quite a few Godzilla movies actually, "Ebirah, Horror From the Deep" (average),  "Son of Godzilla" (sort of fun), "Destroy All Monsters" (disposable but a fun collection of monsters), "All Monsters Attack" (an all out comedy that seems pointless next to "Destroy All Monsters," but actually remember seeing this one as a kid) "Godzilla vs Hedorah" (while somewhat weird with animated cutaways and others stuff...I rather liked this one, it at least didn't look as much like a Saturday morning kids show) and "Godzilla vs Gigan" (in someways a return to form for the franchise, solid monster action with an actual plot, instead of just excuses to get as many monsters on screen as possible). 

And then I watched some newer good stuff.  Saw "Lucky" starring Harry Dean Stanton...which is great, possibly my favorite film of the year.  Nothing even really happens in it...but I loved every frame of the thing.  Stanton is great in it, as is David Lynch.

I also saw "The Disaster Artist," which is decent enough if you like "The Room."  It isn't the best movie in the world, but Franco is surprisingly great as Wiseau.  His performance carries the whole thing, because he manages to walk that fine line before it devolves into complete parody. 

Another great new film I manage to see was "The Shape of Water" which is an excellent new fantasy romance from Guillermo Del Toro. It is very much a fairy tale with the 1960s Cold War as a backdrop...and I really loved it.  Just looks gorgeous and while it is most certainly weird, I really enjoyed it. 

"The Shape of Water" and "Disaster Artist" are both on my want-to-see list.

And while I wouldn't exactly say I 'loved' "The Room" (2003), I am perversely fascinated by its sheer, unfiltered awfulness.  It's easily the worst movie of the 21st century, with the possible exception of "Battleship."   I'm looking forward to "The Disaster Artist"'s take on it, and particularly James Franco's impersonation of Tommy Wiseau.  It looks like a modern "Ed Wood" (which is, incidentally, my favorite Tim Burton movie). 

kenman   
59 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

"The Shape of Water" and "Disaster Artist" are both on my want-to-see list.

And while I wouldn't exactly say I 'loved' "The Room" (2003), I am perversely fascinated by its sheer, unfiltered awfulness.  It's easily the worst movie of the 21st century, with the possible exception of "Battleship."   I'm looking forward to "The Disaster Artist"'s take on it, and particularly James Franco's impersonation of Tommy Wiseau.  It looks like a modern "Ed Wood" (which is, incidentally, my favorite Tim Burton movie). 

It is not nearly as good or as entertaining as Ed Wood. It lacks the heart that movie has for sure. I think Franco did a great job as Wiseau, but the movie is really nowhere in the same league as the fantastic “Ed Wood.” 

The Shape of Water is tremendous, highly recommended. Very probably near the top of my list this year. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And while I wouldn't exactly say I 'loved' "The Room" (2003), I am perversely fascinated by its sheer, unfiltered awfulness.  It's easily the worst movie of the 21st century, with the possible exception of "Battleship."

I...actually didn't hate Battleship. Oh, it's bad. It's very bad, but it had a good moment or two.

But it is not Fantastic Four. That one hurts.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:02 PM, GustavoLeao said:
The explosive and classic ending of cult movie THE CAR (1977) - SATAN REVEALS HIMSELF (YouTube link) !!!! Really, folks ! How we can forget this 1977 movie starring James Brolin, who became a classic in low budget moviemaking ? Go get the new remastered Blu-Ray and prepare for 90 minutes of terror !

24174421_10215082987887291_3215603436817

Gus

I love this film. One of the greatest pieces of b-movie trash ever made.

13 hours ago, kenman said:

Nice list - all added to the "SEE" list!

We watched a couple of genre films last weekend, including Rememory, which I'd never even heard of, starring Peter Dinklage and Julia Ormond. It's ostensibly about a machine that can record memories and project them. and the effect this has on its inventor and the group of people around him. Except, it isn't... but I won't spoil that here. It takes several twists and unexpected turns and is more of a very engaging character piece about loss and the nature of memory, how we reinvent and reinterpret them with every recall. i thought it was one of those rare, unexpected little gems you occasionally unearth on the online streaming menu. Dinklage and Ormond are especially good, but the whole cast is excellent. It also happens to be one of Anton Yelchin's final performances, which makes it poignant for Trek fans for that alone. Really worth seeing.

By comparison, The Discovery is also about a machine that can record memories (a complete coincidence - we didn't know that when we started watching). This one is in the service of a Robert Redford who plays a scientist who has scientifically proven the existence of an afterlife. In turn, this has led to millions of people around the globe committing suicide in the hope that it's a better plane of existence than this one. Now, there's a premise. It's good, but isn't as profound as it thinks it is, and fails to really fully do justice to that premise. The viewer's questions about that intriguing opening concept are played with and teased, but never really explored, so it all starts to feel a bit hokey, although to be fair, they're playing with your expectations a bit and this does get addressed before the story's end. Also worth a look, also containing some nice character drama, but with none of the down-to-earth clarity of Rememory. (The Discovery is a Netflix original.)

Lost my sleep so I am watching the SUPERMAN serial from 1948 starring Kirk Alyn as the first live action Clark Kent / Superman and Noel Neill in her debut as Lois Lane. Alyn performance as Superman is........interesting to say the least (George Reeves was a much better choice as the character) and the FX (Superman becomes a cartoon when he flies) are terrible (THE ADVETURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL from 1941 remains the best serial and the best flight scenes of the time) but if you want see the first Superman in action, this is interesting. A sequel ATOM MAN VS SUPERMAN, introducing Lex Luthor, was produced in 1949, but I think I had enough Kirk Alyn for one night. Good nite.

25152413_10215174343811132_4215732649922

Gus

16 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

We watched a couple of genre films last weekend, including Rememory, which I'd never even heard of, starring Peter Dinklage and Julia Ormond. It's ostensibly about a machine that can record memories and project them. and the effect this has on its inventor and the group of people around him. Except, it isn't... but I won't spoil that here. It takes several twists and unexpected turns and is more of a very engaging character piece about loss and the nature of memory, how we reinvent and reinterpret them with every recall. i thought it was one of those rare, unexpected little gems you occasionally unearth on the online streaming menu. Dinklage and Ormond are especially good, but the whole cast is excellent. It also happens to be one of Anton Yelchin's final performances, which makes it poignant for Trek fans for that alone. Really worth seeing.

By comparison, The Discovery is also about a machine that can record memories (a complete coincidence - we didn't know that when we started watching). This one is in the service of a Robert Redford who plays a scientist who has scientifically proven the existence of an afterlife. In turn, this has led to millions of people around the globe committing suicide in the hope that it's a better plane of existence than this one. Now, there's a premise. It's good, but isn't as profound as it thinks it is, and fails to really fully do justice to that premise. The viewer's questions about that intriguing opening concept are played with and teased, but never really explored, so it all starts to feel a bit hokey, although to be fair, they're playing with your expectations a bit and this does get addressed before the story's end. Also worth a look, also containing some nice character drama, but with none of the down-to-earth clarity of Rememory. (The Discovery is a Netflix original.)

I’m curious...I’ll have to check these out.  Esp. Discovery; sounds bold