Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

43 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Mine is more sinus congestion & sneezing, but there’s a bit of cough too.  Maybe the cough is what I have to look forward to; I’ve only had it a day or so.  :(

Sounds like me. Sinus for a day, then a cough and chest congestion, though if it is like what I had it doesn't become particularly debilitating. You might have a couple of sleepless-ish nights, but nothing too nasty.

Good luck.

Edited by prometheus59650

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Sounds like me. Sinus for a day, then a cough and chest congestion, though if it is like what I had it doesn't become particularly debilitating. You might have a couple of sleepless-ish nights, but nothing too nasty.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Just woke from a nap that felt like a preview of a dirt nap.  :laugh:

Thank goodness for gel caps; they really help with the cough/throat and congestion, at least for a while.

Looks like Sunday will be our target day for Thor: Ragnarok. 

On 03/11/2017 at 4:18 PM, prometheus59650 said:

Thor: Ragnarok.

Pretty good. It's more a straight-up Avengers-type adventure than anything. Had some cute lines and cameos.

Liked it better than Homecoming or GotG 2 for the simple fact that this is far less....syrupy.

Agreed. Best MARVEL STUDIOS movie of the year !!!

Gus

12 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Agreed. Best MARVEL STUDIOS movie of the year !!!

Gus

It was.

I didn't hate Homecoming or GotG2, but they were really trying too hard to be cute, and I wasn't in the mood for it.

kenman   

Seen a few movies lately, life has me frequenting the forum a little less lately.  But here's what I've been getting into. 

"The Beguiled", Sofia Coppola's latest (apparently its a remake though I've not seen the original), and while it looks great with a decent premise, the movie was just too cold and detached for me.  I can definitely enjoy a cold and detached movie, but when it seems like so much motivation hinges on the emotions of the characters, cold and detached feels counter intuitive.  I think I felt this way after her last couple of movies, but even more so now...I think I am done giving chances to Sofia Coppola.  Beyond her first two ("The Virgin Suicides" and "Lost in Translation"), I can't say I've really enjoyed much of her output.  

Edgar Wright's latest, "Baby Driver" which is a fun action film with great car stunts and an original feel to it.  I like the leads, despite the fact that Kevin Spacey is in it...and I got it from the library like the day that news hit, but mostly it was just a fun ride of a film.  It is an entertaining, and fresh take, on the action/heist movie.  Edgar Wright knows how to make a fun movie. 

On the recommendation of my critic friend, brother and I went to see "Thor: Ragnorok" and we both enjoyed it a lot.  I never cared for the other Thor films, and had the trailer and the recommendation not convinced me that it would be more like Guardians, I probably would've skipped, as Guardians is kind of the only thing I really dig in the current Marvel line-up anymore. Give me goofy fun schlocky space nonsense over the "save the earth from the robot monsters" generic Marvel fare.  My brother and I both agreed tdhat despite having a good time with the movie, it needed about 40 extra minutes of Goldblum.  Give that character his own Netflix show!  I'd actually watch that.

Back on the home front, I have been slowly but surely whittling down a pile of movies my critic friend lent me this year, and I have watched Tobe Hoopers "Invaders From Mars" which is a fairly fun B-movie very much in the style of the 50s sci-fi monster movies, with some updated effects and a bit of creepier gore stuff.  I mostly enjoyed it, but found the end a bit of a letdown.  Just a bit. 

Next up was "Dark Angel" or "I Come in Peace" (the box says one and the movie itself said another), which is a 1990 action sci-fi flick starring Dolph Lundgren and his best attempt at an American Accent who plays a cop trying to take down a drug crime lord (a storyline that kind of loses track throughout the course of the film) and an alien being that comes to earth to kill people extracting their endorphins, which are a drug where he comes from. Its a solid action B-movie...not great, kinda dumb, but not completely irritating or frustrating. A solid source of entertainment. 

And with the wife and kids leaving me alone for the morning, I had a rare opportunity to watch another film lent to me, for with no one in the house but me for hours, when else would I get a shot at watching the Russian 2 hour and 45 minute Sci-fi classic "Solaris."  This one has been on my list for years, and it's been on my shelf since nearly April.  But finally an opportunity came and I didn't let it slip away. And I'm glad I didn't! It is a really well made film...slow but hypnotic and beautiful.  And it features a really good high concept sci-fi premise to boot.  If you have time, don't mind subtitles, and have the energy to stay awake during a slow moving foreign film with lots of droning sound design and music that could easily put you to sleep with it's calming effect (I struggled and I LIKED IT)...give this one a go. 

Finally re-watched after almost 3 decades the first THE PUNISHER movie on DVD, starring Dolph Lundgren as the Marvel Comics anti-hero. Not as bad as I remember, but still feels like a Cannon Group movie, you know, very cheap (it was actually produced by New World Pictures who owned Marvel at the time, circa 1989).

23561470_10214941197222613_6463208132942

Gus

I just watched for the first time in a long time the Gene Roddenberry unsold horror pilot SPECTRE, well directed by Clive Donner in 1977 for CBS. After a supernatural experiment leaves him with a serious heart condition, occult criminologist William Sebastian (Robert Culp) recruits his skeptical friend, Dr. "Ham" Hamilton (Gig Young), to aid him with a new case. Their assignment: to investigate Geoffrey Cyon (John Hurt), a British businessman allegedly flirting with the dark arts. As William and Ham learn more about the suspicious Cyon family, they have to fight to survive against a powerful demon and an evil cult. Majel Barrett co-stars. This proto X-FILES pilot will surprise horror fans on how good the Roddenberry and Sam Peebles script was, even with nudity. Now I have toi watch QUESTOR TAPES I remmebe r it was another well-made Roddenberry pilot ! (This movie is not available on DVD..........but you can find it on YouTube LOL Dont tell CBS I told you that ! LOL)

23659618_10214958170726940_1632373145327

Gus

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I just watched for the first time in a long time the Gene Roddenberry unsold horror pilot SPECTRE, well directed by Clive Donner in 1977 for CBS. After a supernatural experiment leaves him with a serious heart condition, occult criminologist William Sebastian (Robert Culp) recruits his skeptical friend, Dr. "Ham" Hamilton (Gig Young), to aid him with a new case. Their assignment: to investigate Geoffrey Cyon (John Hurt), a British businessman allegedly flirting with the dark arts. As William and Ham learn more about the suspicious Cyon family, they have to fight to survive against a powerful demon and an evil cult. Majel Barrett co-stars. This proto X-FILES pilot will surprise horror fans on how good the Roddenberry and Sam Peebles script was, even with nudity. Now I have toi watch QUESTOR TAPES I remmebe r it was another well-made Roddenberry pilot ! (This movie is not available on DVD..........but you can find it on YouTube LOL Dont tell CBS I told you that ! LOL)

23659618_10214958170726940_1632373145327

Gus

I’ve seen it.

It was very easy to see why it was thrown on the stack of Roddenberry’s failed pilots.   Sorry Gus, but “Spectre” was weapons-grade bad.   Though judging from the above pic, I’d say the notorious womanizer Roddenberry got er, something out of the experience. 

“Questor Tapes” is a little better; sort of a 20th century trial run for the character of Data.   DS9’s Robert Foxworthy plays the titular character.  

The ending is super-goofy though... don’t say I didn’t warn you. :giggle:

I found Spectre to have a Nice atmosphere and i loved Robert Culp as an actor

Anyway ir was better than Genesis 2  cant wait for Questor Tapes

Edited by GustavoLeao

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I found Spectre to have a Nice atmosphere and i loved Robert Culp as an actor

Anyway ir was better than Genesis 2  cant wait for Questor Tapes

Of Roddenberry’s failed pilots, I’d say Questor Tapes is probably my favorite.