Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

Before Marvel Studios, Samuel L. Jackson and ABC's "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.", there was Knight Rider and Baywatch actor David Hasselhoff starring as Nick Fury in an unsold TV Pilot in 1998 written by (gasp !) BATMAN BEGINS screenwriter David Goyer. Another 90 minutes of my life wasted.......oh my. LOL

21740141_10214423752966830_5589004305972

Gus

On 9/19/2017 at 9:27 PM, kenman said:

Brother and I went and saw "It" last night. Stephen King's novel is given a new life on the big screen (originally adapted in 1990 as a TV mini-series), and for the most part it is a solid movie. This is essentially only part of the book, focusing in entirely on the kids portion of the novel, though updated from the 50s/60s of the source material to the 80s (so when they make the second part featuring the Losers Club grown up, they can set it in modern times). This is not an issue, as the key idea behind the story seems to be there. I've yet to read the giant novel that is "It" but I gather this doesn't stray too far from the point to garner much criticism. The young cast is solid, the direction is great, it visually is a winner...the biggest problem lies with something simple and seems like it should be minor, but ends up being a detriment to the whole experience...and that is Sound Design. It is riddled with the problem so many modern horror films have, which is loud noises to emphasize when something scary is happening. The moment Pennywise first appears in the sewer to Georgie should've been totally frightening, but it is undercut by a loud musical sting that lets us morons immediately know that the clown is evil. It totally takes the scare out of it for me, makes it all less scary, and is unfortunate because the obnoxious sound design upends what is otherwise a totally solid horror picture. I still liked it, but that little thing hurt the movie more than it needed to.

Then tonight, against my better judgement, I watched Alien: Covenant. I am so bored with this franchise. I love the original "Alien," I liked "Aliens," and I can forgive a lot of the flaws of "Alien 3." But after that it just feels like a constant retread of ideas, never feeling fresh or new. I felt "Prometheus" was flawed, but I liked that it felt like it had some ideas...even if they were all muddled in the end. This film sort of expands on those ideas, but not really enough, and then it is just a generic Alien movie. And it was tedious to sit through. I liked some of the David stuff, but it wasn't enough to get me through the dull action and scares, and it still didn't feel like it had a solid enough philosophical statement to warrant a 2 hour movie. The franchise needs to end...it has just become too boring to bother with for me.

You kinda echo my sentiments on both films. 

And while I like the new “It”, the ‘jumpout’ moments were a bit too calculated for my taste; the sound matrix practically telegraphs them in advance.   Sound grows quiet...and.... BAM.  Jumpout moment.   I suppose that’s a new ‘standard’ in horror these days, but I kinda miss the days when mood was created by a creeping feeling of dread, and jumpout scare moments were used more sparingly.  

That said?  I liked the new “It” and thought it was a solid adaptation of (part of) the massive Stephen King book (which I’ve not read in about 27 years or so).

“ALIEN Covenant” is the first ALIEN movie I’ve not bought on video, and never will.  It was chore enough to sit through it in a theatre. 

12 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Before Marvel Studios, Samuel L. Jackson and ABC's "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.", there was Knight Rider and Baywatch actor David Hasselhoff starring as Nick Fury in an unsold TV Pilot in 1998 written by (gasp !) BATMAN BEGINS screenwriter David Goyer. Another 90 minutes of my life wasted.......oh my. LOL

21740141_10214423752966830_5589004305972

Gus

I would call Samuel L. Jackson as Fury a definite trade up. :laugh:

kenman   
21 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

You kinda echo my sentiments on both films. 

And while I like the new “It”, the ‘jumpout’ moments were a bit too calculated for my taste; the sound matrix practically telegraphs them in advance.   Sound grows quiet...and.... BAM.  Jumpout moment.   I suppose that’s a new ‘standard’ in horror these days, but I kinda miss the days when mood was created by a creeping feeling of dread, and jumpout scare moments were used more sparingly.  

That said?  I liked the new “It” and thought it was a solid adaptation of (part of) the massive Stephen King book (which I’ve not read in about 27 years or so).

“ALIEN Covenant” is the first ALIEN movie I’ve not bought on video, and never will.  It was chore enough to sit through it in a theatre.

Yea "It" was good, just stinks that sound design could be an actual detriment at times. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Yea "It" was good, just stinks that sound design could be an actual detriment at times. 

Jump scares are so predicable and common these days that I don’t even flinch anymore.   I watched “It” more in “Stand By Me”-mode than horror-watching mode.   That young cast was just amazing.  

kenman   

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.  Really fun! I think it was better than the first film, because it didn't have a tired MacGuffin, and it's entire story flowed better from beginning to end.  The stakes were high, but the conflict was actually smaller and more personal really...and somehow every character has something to do without it feeling bloated or frustrating **cough cough**everyavengersmovie**cough cough**.  I would say that after the big success of the first movie, Gunn was given even more creative freedom to do what he wants with the franchise, which is rare and strange, but I think it paid off in spades.  It's a fun movie all around. 

Blade Runner 2049.

This is a LOVELY looking film. Every scene looks less shot than lovingly crafted.

Some questions are answered, though as nebulously and, "What do you want the answer to be?" as you'd expect. And morte are aked as to the nature of being human.

That Gosling charm is understated, but still there and helps the character along.

This is tied to the first, but very much stands on its own. I questioned why this movie needed to be made back in the day, and it answered that ably. It's a love letter to Blade Runner and a worthy sequel.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Blade Runner 2049.

This is a LOVELY looking film. Every scene looks less shot than lovingly crafted.

Some questions are answered, though as nebulously and, "What do you want the answer to be?" as you'd expect. And morte are aked as to the nature of being human.

That Gosling charm is understated, but still there and helps the character along.

This is tied to the first, but very much stands on its own. I questioned why this movie needed to be made back in the day, and it answered that ably. It's a love letter to Blade Runner and a worthy sequel.

I'm officially excited.  I'll be able to share my own spilled beans after Sunday.  ;)

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'm officially excited.  I'll be able to share my own spilled beans after Sunday.  ;)

It was well-paced and engaging. I wasn't even bothered by the "my entire morning" run time. :) It's a lot to take in in a good way.

Edited by prometheus59650

American Made

Tom Cruise as Barry Seal -- Pilot bored with his life gets caught up in the adventure provided by being a CIA pilot taking pictures of rebels in Central America, then gets wrapped up in drug running for the cartels. Then, of course, he falls in love with the money despite the tension of having to keep the plates spinning. This is in many ways the same role that has given him a decades-long career: the smarmy guy with just enough charm to make you sort of root for him anyway.

Really though, I found it a scathing illustration of the spiral of insanity that was US foreign policy that included drug-running and weapons-trading in the 1980s. Indeed, the film is peppered with contrasting interludes of video clips of Reagan and the drug war.

Well-made and worthwhile.

This weekend I will be making a DVD marathon of the Hammer's DRACULA movies starring Christopher Lee as the Count, including such films as Horror of Dracula (1958) Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) Count Dracula (1970) Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) Scars of Dracula (1970) Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973). First time I take a look at my British DVD set, I am a huge fan of classic Hammer movies ! Yay !

22310584_10214653847199042_9077992218322

22406129_10214653848279069_2632104835445

Gus

kenman   

Watched Maximum Overdrive for a bit of dumb horror movie fun.  Movie is not well made, but there is a hint of charm to it. 

I was craving some Halloween fare yesterday, so I watched (in honor of the date) the original 1980 “Friday the 13th.”

vlcsnap-2010-10-15-22h50m07s51.jpg

Wow.   That was a lot worse than I remembered as a kid.  It’s basically a poor man’s “Halloween” with a pinch of “Psycho” thrown in.   The nighttime cinematography is muddy and flat; looks like it was shot on Kodak 400 film.   There are countless frames where I literally couldn’t see what was going on at all; that’s not suspense, or creating ‘mood’...that’s just bad cinematography.  The ‘characters’ are basically bowling pins waiting to be knocked down, and much of the musical score (minus the infamous ‘chee-chee-haaa-haaa’ part) is basically the shark music of JAWS.   Funny to see Kevin Bacon in one of his earlier roles (this was a year or two after “Animal House”).

The ‘twist’ ending is illogical, but it’s still the best part of the whole movie.

And I watched 2015’s “Tales of Halloween” on Netflix.

TalesofHalloweenJackOs.png

A 10-part (!) anthology/sketch movie (only about 90 minutes).  
And despite a few clever tricks up its sleeves (Adrienne Barbeau riffing on her character from 1980’s “The Fog”) the results are merely okay; nothing terribly special.   Far better examples of this kind of film are 2007’s Halloween anthology “Trick ‘R Treat” (highly recommended) or one of the old Amicus anthology flicks like “Tales From the Crypt” (1972), “Vault of Horror” (1974) or “House That Dripped Blood” (1971).    

Any or all of which are superior.

maneth   

Blade Runner 2049. Amazing movie and a worthy sequel to the original. I actually enjoyed this one more than the original.

7 hours ago, maneth said:

Blade Runner 2049. Amazing movie and a worthy sequel to the original. I actually enjoyed this one more than the original.

You and I both.  My wife and I went back for a 2nd time last Sunday, and it reinforced that feeling. 

maneth   
On 19.10.2017 at 3:41 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

You and I both.  My wife and I went back for a 2nd time last Sunday, and it reinforced that feeling. 

I want to see it again, but I'll wait for the blu-ray. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the soundtrack, which was much too discordant for my taste. I love the Vangelis soundtrack of the original.

1 hour ago, maneth said:

I want to see it again, but I'll wait for the blu-ray. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the soundtrack, which was much too discordant for my taste. I love the Vangelis soundtrack of the original.

Zimmer's score was much more bombastic (almost painful, in the theatre we saw it; like a sonic bombardment more than a music score).   Vangelis' was more like an existential jazz dream.  Zimmer did reference the Vangelis score during K's last scene, though (nice homage).  But yes, I definitely agree with you on that one.