Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, Gus would tell you that you HAVE to see Spider-Man. ;)

I don’t have to do anything... except built a fallout shelter in my backyard (watching too much CNN lately :P).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

His aides say he just talks and don't worry about it.

So everything's fine. :P

Maybe I’ll watch my DVD of “Dr. Strangelove”.... so I can learn to stop worrying and love the bomb. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched two movies recently; 

“Loving” (2016)

loving.jpg?w=670

Based on the interracial couple living in 1950s-‘60s Virginia whose Supreme Court decision outcome made interracial marriage legal across all of the United States.   Understated, but haunting movie.   Joel Edgerton deserved an Oscar, IMHO.

and

“The Founder” (2016) 

the-founder.jpg

A biography/dark comedy about McDonald’s ‘partner/co-opter’ Ray Kroc, who sort of steals the McDonald’s restaurant franchise and name right out from under the McDonald brothers.   Michael Keaton is very good here, but on more familiar footing (playing a lying huckster) than the raw, deeper performance he gave in “Birdman.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locutus   
4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Watched two movies recently; 

“Loving” (2016)

loving.jpg?w=670

Based on the interracial couple living in 1950s-‘60s Virginia whose Supreme Court decision outcome made interracial marriage legal across all of the United States.   Understated, but haunting movie.   Joel Edgerton deserved an Oscar, IMHO.

and

“The Founder” (2016) 

the-founder.jpg

A biography/dark comedy about McDonald’s ‘partner/co-opter’ Ray Kroc, who sort of steals the McDonald’s restaurant franchise and name right out from under the McDonald brothers.   Michael Keaton is very good here, but on more familiar footing (playing a lying huckster) than the raw, deeper performance he gave in “Birdman.” 

I found Loving a very carefully structured and emotional movie.  They captured the paranoia, fear, and legal elements all so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I found Loving a very carefully structured and emotional movie.  They captured the paranoia, fear, and legal elements all so well.

So did I.

Stayed with me long after the credits rolled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
On 8/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

So did I.

Stayed with me long after the credits rolled.  

One of the things I really liked about it was the fact that the legal stuff was backburner. It wasn't about them in court fighting for their rights, or any other generic courtroom drama...it focused in on them as people, which made you identify with the plight and struggle and care what happens with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kenman said:

One of the things I really liked about it was the fact that the legal stuff was backburner. It wasn't about them in court fighting for their rights, or any other generic courtroom drama...it focused in on them as people, which made you identify with the plight and struggle and care what happens with them. 

I also liked that the movie doesn't soapbox; it tells the story quietly, but powerfully.   This movie could've easily descended into very binary storytelling with lots of grandiose lawyer's speeches and overstated imagery, but it quietly eschews that approach in favor of a simple love story.  I think that's the most powerful message of all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is a kinda of a little know fact but in 1957 the sci-fi classic FORBIDDEN PLANET had a sort of a sequel THE INVISIBLE BOY. This B&W film was provided as a bonus feature in the 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition of Forbidden Planet (buy it on the Amazon link below). It was included because it was MGM's immediate follow-up to that classic movie, and it stars Robby the Robot, who was apparently transported to the 20th century in a time machine. Just aplain fun 50s sci-fi movie, but if you are ahuge Forbidden Plant fan, its kinda fun seing Robby again. Robby of course, would later appear in episodes of THE THIN MAN and LOST IN SPACE.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Colossal. In this sci-fi/fantasy/monster movie, Anne Hathaway stars as a down on her luck woman who moves back to her hometown, gets a job at a bar owned by a childhood friend, and then discovers that a monster attacking Korea is actually controlled by her own actions. And when the bar owner turns out to also be a robot that moves throughout Korea, he uses his power to hold over her, threatening to destroy Seoul if she doesn't follow his every whim. It is really a movie about abusive relationships, and has one of the strongest female empowerment messages I have ever seen put on the screen (as well as its message about alcoholism and toxic relationships) without being hamfisted and overbearing about it. I thought it was a great concept for exploring a real world issue, and it managed to do it with some nuance, subtlety, and without ever getting preachy. Both Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis are great in it as well. I rather liked it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have tickets to see “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” theatrically this morning (!!).  Haven’t seen this movie in a movie theatre in about 37 years (since the 1980 Special Edition release).   Looking very forward to ‘watching the skies’ yet again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My wife and I have tickets to see “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” theatrically this morning (!!).  Haven’t seen this movie in a movie theatre in about 37 years (since the 1980 Special Edition release).   Looking very forward to ‘watching the skies’ yet again...

Honestly, it's not one of my favorite films, but I've watched the trailers and the restoration looks amazingly good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Honestly, it's not one of my favorite films, but I've watched the trailers and the restoration looks amazingly good.  

Sadly, we had to cancel today; medical issue. 

Really wanted to see this again, but circumstances just aren’t allowing it, I’m afraid.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sadly, we had to cancel today; medical issue. 

Really wanted to see this again, but circumstances just aren’t allowing it, I’m afraid.   

Ohhh, sorry to hear.

 

Hope that said issue is nothing major and passes quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Ohhh, sorry to hear.

 

Hope that said issue is nothing major and passes quickly.

It was Mrs. Vie actually, but she’s doing much better this evening, thanks! :)


We watched CE3K last weekend on DVD (the 1977 original version, not the SE) so we did rewatch it recently, but we were both looking forward to seeing it theatrically as well.   Oh well... ten years till the 50th anniversary!  :laugh:

I also blogged about CE3K recently as well: https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/08/27/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-still-watching-the-skies-40-years-later/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my wife is feeling well enough for us to try to see “Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind” again tomorrow!  Woo hoo.

closeencounters392012.png


We really wanted to catch it in rerelease, and it looks like tomorrow (Labor Day, here in the US) is the perfect opportunity.  I’m just grateful the missus is well enough to try.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING......... Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........

Gus

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING......... Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........Go watch SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.........

Gus

 

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.  And...

NO. :P

I've waited 37 years to see CE3K in a theatre again.   I've seen enough superhero movies to last me the next 37...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.  And...

NO. :P

I've waited 37 years to see CE3K in a theatre again.   I've seen enough superhero movies to last me the next 37...

I saw it again in theaters on Friday! It was amazing in visuals. I didn't realize how much CE3K had early sitcom/romcom/drama development in it, including an nagging family, sort of bugling government guys, and nerdy contactee people. Then when they get to the alien ships, they look amazing. The only drawback I could tell is the transfer aut our theater was up to higher rate than the original print, off a bluray edition apparently, so a lot of the darker tones, lower light, and anything with the people in soft focus looked off. That is because in the original it was on different and less powerful projectors. The ship models look so crisp and new, it throws it off, and looks alittle like Star Wars reprints where they added new digital ships. They probably didn't. It's just that the cleanup on the ships is high contrast and glowing, so it throws off the grain. You just don't see the grain as much. Also the spindly alien puppet at the hatch looked really fake blown up to huge XD (kind of imax) screen, but the little aliens looked better. This was parlty because the little aliens were either puppets or little people, or children in masks. The alien at the very end looked kind of off too, but sure, it was 1977, and it can be forgiven!

Funny that Spielberg claimed in the interviews they showed he never actually saw a UFO. Ha.

It is an American cinema classic though. I would classify it a science fantasy drama, not like ET, which was more of a scifi creature comedy. Taken, his produced alien contactee drama, was a spiritual follow up to this film.

Spoiler. It is not the print where they go aboard the ship.

When they re-released this about 1980 I saw it as a kid. It was also in the video collection. I was actually quite bored until the last 30 minutes. I later appreciated it more in the 1987 print, and the 1992 release with the boarding the ship.

You know what is odd, why didn't they release Star Wars original print in theaters for their 40th? I know they're doing TLJ and didn't wand to run over their own profits, but it would have been fun to see the original unaltered Star Wars for a special night.

Edited by Chimera82405

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Had a movie night outside with the projector the other night (sort of a birthday celebration deal for me), and my buddies and I watched two bad movies, the Roger Corman Fantastic Four, and then Megaforce. 

Then following up on my own I watched "Doomed" the documentary about that Fantastic Four movie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw “IT” (2017) today.

As a fan of both Stephen King’s book and the 1990 miniseries, I was half-prepared to throw stones at this remake (NPI to fans of “It”) but it surprised me; it was quite effective and very well-cast.   Whereas the miniseries told the complete story (past and present day), the movie wisely chooses to focus on the past story first; saving the ‘present day’ story for a perfect sequel someday (hopefully soon).

This was one of the best child casts since “Stand By Me” and “Stranger Things” (incidentally, a ST alum plays “Richie” as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Saw “IT” (2017) today.

As a fan of both Stephen King’s book and the 1990 miniseries, I was half-prepared to throw stones at this remake (NPI to fans of “It”) but it surprised me; it was quite effective and very well-cast.   Whereas the miniseries told the complete story (past and present day), the movie wisely chooses to focus on the past story first; saving the ‘present day’ story for a perfect sequel someday (hopefully soon).

This was one of the best child casts since “Stand By Me” and “Stranger Things” (incidentally, a ST alum plays “Richie” as well).

Would like to see this. Good report from the bairn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Would like to see this. Good report from the bairn!

The cast was the best surprise; they were very talented.  

And, for once, I think it was a wise choice to split the book into two halves (rather than the arbitrary splits of other adaptations, such as “The Hobbit"), because the “It” novel kind of demands that approach, with its 27 years later/flashback structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Brother and I went and saw "It" last night. Stephen King's novel is given a new life on the big screen (originally adapted in 1990 as a TV mini-series), and for the most part it is a solid movie. This is essentially only part of the book, focusing in entirely on the kids portion of the novel, though updated from the 50s/60s of the source material to the 80s (so when they make the second part featuring the Losers Club grown up, they can set it in modern times). This is not an issue, as the key idea behind the story seems to be there. I've yet to read the giant novel that is "It" but I gather this doesn't stray too far from the point to garner much criticism. The young cast is solid, the direction is great, it visually is a winner...the biggest problem lies with something simple and seems like it should be minor, but ends up being a detriment to the whole experience...and that is Sound Design. It is riddled with the problem so many modern horror films have, which is loud noises to emphasize when something scary is happening. The moment Pennywise first appears in the sewer to Georgie should've been totally frightening, but it is undercut by a loud musical sting that lets us morons immediately know that the clown is evil. It totally takes the scare out of it for me, makes it all less scary, and is unfortunate because the obnoxious sound design upends what is otherwise a totally solid horror picture. I still liked it, but that little thing hurt the movie more than it needed to.

Then tonight, against my better judgement, I watched Alien: Covenant. I am so bored with this franchise. I love the original "Alien," I liked "Aliens," and I can forgive a lot of the flaws of "Alien 3." But after that it just feels like a constant retread of ideas, never feeling fresh or new. I felt "Prometheus" was flawed, but I liked that it felt like it had some ideas...even if they were all muddled in the end. This film sort of expands on those ideas, but not really enough, and then it is just a generic Alien movie. And it was tedious to sit through. I liked some of the David stuff, but it wasn't enough to get me through the dull action and scares, and it still didn't feel like it had a solid enough philosophical statement to warrant a 2 hour movie. The franchise needs to end...it has just become too boring to bother with for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites