Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

2,756 posts in this topic

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

The Duchess wanted to see it and for $5 Tuesday, it was worth a go.

Didn't move me all that much. At 2 hours it seemed to drag a bit and was more of the same. It did tie up the fates of all the original characters so that was fine, but there's a reason that this was Pirates of the Carribean: The Sequel Everyone Forgot Was Coming.

New film on Netflix by Bong Joon-Ho (director of "The Host" and "Snowpiercer") called "Okja" a film about a young girl who sets out on a quest to save her best friend, a SuperPig from the corporation that created it, and bring her back home to the mountains before she is turned into several meals.  It isn't a subtle film in it's message (like at all), but it is a pretty great movie.  I enjoyed it a lot, even if I know full well I will probably not take the message to heart as I probably should.  But as a pure love of film? It is a great fantasy film, not for kids in any way, but I highly recommend it. 

Today, my wife and I saw “JAWS” (1975) in a theatre!  For her, it was the first time seeing it in cinema; for me, it’s the first time in 42 years.   The last time I saw it that way, I was 8 or 9 years old!  

0a3b69fd29378a082ab3d3b9e7ab0793.jpg

jaws.jpg?w=600

It was a pure and genuine delight to see JAWS in cinema again.  Not only is it a perfect summer movie, but it’s also a well-crafted suspense classic on a par with Hitchcock’s PSYCHO.   It’s one of my favorite movies of all time, in fact.  And the presentation today was amazing; perfect print, great sound, plush motorized reclining seats, tray tables for snacks.   Lovely, remodeled theatre.  

I used to visit this particular theatre waaaaaayyy in my bachelor days (over 20 years ago), but it’s been completely remodeled and it looks terrific.    Seeing JAWS there today was a great way to be welcomed back to this old favorite.   My wife and I want to see many more movies there in the future. 

The other night I watched "Logan" for the first time. It is certainly good, well made, and entertaining, and quite a good send off for both Jackman's Wolverine and Stewart's Professor X. But I find myself in the end thinking it was only just okay. I liked it, but maybe it was built up a bit for me, or maybe my interest in X-Men and these characters just never has been that high. Enjoyable enough, just didn't thrill me. 

Then I watched a weird 70s horror film my buddy lent me called "Deathdream" (also known as "Dead of Night") about a soldier killed in Vietnam who is brought back home via his mom's wish...but he act weird and distant and if he doesn't murder people and drink their blood he turns into a decaying corpse. You know, that old chestnut! It was a servicable but forgotten 70s horror film. Not great, but has some good moments. 

And lastly on the 4th of July my wife and I watched "Get Out" together, which is a fantastic horror film, and just really well made for a movie made by a firdt time director who is lostly known for his work in comedy (being the Peele half of Key&Peele). Great topica subject matter well executed as a somewhat Lovecraftian Horror movie. 

Just got back from "War for the Planet of the Apes" and it was top notch!  Highly recommend seeing it! This is the kind of big franchise filmmaking I'd love to see more of.  Just a bit of slowing things down occasionally, without sacrificing the big action set pieces (they feel more earned when it doesn't feel relentless!), and putting story, character, heart, and a bit of social commentary front and center.  I don't know if any franchise has been rebooted as well as this series has. 

Watched the first two Planet of the Apes reboot movies (“Rise of...” and “Dawn of...”) in anticipation of seeing the sequel (“War of...”) tomorrow afternoon.

Seeing the first two again was a nice refresher and reminder of why I love this new rebooted POTA series so much; it’s the best rebooted sci-fi franchise since 2003’s “Battlestar Galactica.” 

The last movie I saw was Wonder Woman, and parts of it reminded me of TOS, because the heroine had the same earnest desire to make the world a better place that I saw in Kirk and his crew.  I loved it that THIS superhero wasn't ironic or dark or tortured or twisted; her straightforward earnest idealism was SUCH a breath of fresh air.

I think the fact that mainstream culture thinks earnest idealism is something to laugh at is a big part of what's wrong with our world, and I'd love it if Wonder Woman would start a trend back in the other direction.

3 minutes ago, Corylea said:

The last movie I saw was Wonder Woman, and parts of it reminded me of TOS, because the heroine had the same earnest desire to make the world a better place that I saw in Kirk and his crew.  I loved it that THIS superhero wasn't ironic or dark or tortured or twisted; her straightforward earnest idealism was SUCH a breath of fresh air.

I think the fact that mainstream culture thinks earnest idealism is something to laugh at is a big part of what's wrong with our world, and I'd love it if Wonder Woman would start a trend back in the other direction.

Loved WW!

We saw it twice.  :thumbup:

Had a lot more heart and emotion (besides brooding) than any of the other recent DC movies; as was even better than some of the recent Marvel movies.  

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Loved WW!

We saw it twice.  :thumbup:

I would have seen it more than once if my health allowed me to leave the house more than once a month...  But maybe I'll be able to go again before it leaves town.

4 minutes ago, Corylea said:

I would have seen it more than once if my health allowed me to leave the house more than once a month...  But maybe I'll be able to go again before it leaves town.

Here’s hoping you can, and that your health improves as well.  Fingers crossed for you!

Atomic Blonde

Charlize Theron as a spy in 1980s Berlin as the wall falls on a mission for MI:6 to retrieve a list of undercover agents that could potentially prolong the cold war another 40 years if it got out.

It takes a little bit to really get going in the setting up of all the pieces of the plot and the players, but I tend to forgive action movies quite a bit simply because they're not really meant to be deep. Theron, McAvoy, and Boutella turn in good performances and it plays like a cross between Bourne and the Black Widow movie you're never going to get.

Not too shabby.

I finally managed to get my hands on "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter"... good ending although there was some weird retconning happening - but hey, who thinks Resident Evil movies are about the PLOT? :laugh: Anyways. I liked it. Because I like the franchise. So what. Haha. Also, mmm Albert Wesker

21 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I finally managed to get my hands on "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter"... good ending although there was some weird retconning happening - but hey, who thinks Resident Evil movies are about the PLOT? :laugh: Anyways. I liked it. Because I like the franchise. So what. Haha. Also, mmm Albert Wesker

I like them as well and always have. They're just a fun ride with zombies and esplozions with a little bit of techie gloss.

Take Albert...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYTtl0Q7QGLX93ZbSDIvd

Leaves me Alice.

Everybody's happy. :)

On 29.7.2017 at 6:16 PM, prometheus59650 said:

I like them as well and always have. They're just a fun ride with zombies and esplozions with a little bit of techie gloss.

Take Albert...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYTtl0Q7QGLX93ZbSDIvd

Leaves me Alice.

Everybody's happy. :)

Yup, they are just that - fun movies with zombies and other creatures and really cool fight scenes. :happy: And they kinda DID bother to give the series a proper ending by taking it all back to where it started, gotta give them credit for that.

And yes, while I do appreciate Alice a LOT, I'm more into Wesker indeed, lol. Everyone's happy now, absolutely!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yup, they are just that - fun movies with zombies and other creatures and really cool fight scenes. :happy: And they kinda DID bother to give the series a proper ending by taking it all back to where it started, gotta give them credit for that.

I do. I found the ending pretty satisfying, all things considered.It was a happier one than I expected.

Not sure how I feel about them rebooting it almost instantly, but we'll see how it goes.

20 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I do. I found the ending pretty satisfying, all things considered.It was a happier one than I expected.

Not sure how I feel about them rebooting it almost instantly, but we'll see how it goes.

I was very surprised about the happy ending as well (in fact I kept waiting for the YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS A HAPPY ENDING DIDN'T YOU - WROOOOONG catch, haha) - but not unpleasantly so. I mean poor Alice finally deserves SOME happiness in her life. :laugh:

I'm very much AGAINST the whole reboot thing but then no one's forcing me to watch a reboot and I can always be happy with the films that exist. :happy:They could always hire Sir Patrick to play an older Albert Wesker tho OMG IMAGINE haha

I just watched on DVD the 2016 documentary DOOMED ! THE UNTOLD STORYOF ROGER CORMAN'S FANTASTIC FOUR, a very interesting behind the scenes looks at the cult classic unreleased Fantatsic Four movie from 1994 (which you can watch on YouTUbe nevertheless) produced by Roger Corman. If you like low budget movies and the a story in which fact is more fantastic than fiction, this DVD (available on Amazon.com for just $11) is for you. Highly recommended !

20664153_10214065312126033_8486600648130

20626108_10214065314286087_6504593456695

Gus

Posted (edited)

Watched Shin Godzilla te other night. I really liked it! Loved the new ideas they put into the monster itsef, his eary forms and evolving...and thought that all the stuff with Godzilla felt very true to it's roots, and all the socialcommentary felt true to the spirit of the original yet unmistakenly a modern critique of Japan and their governments reaction to the Tsunami and subsequent Nuclear meltdown issues they went through a few years ago. Unlike the American version from 2014, I didn't mind the lack of screentime for the big guy as I enjoyed the characters, the story, and the social commentary presented within. 

Edited by kenman

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Watched Shin Godzilla te other night. I really liked it! Loved the new ideas they put into the monster itsef, his eary forms and evolving...and thought that all the stuff with Godzilla felt very true to it's roots, and all the socialcommentary felt true to the spirit of the original yet unmistakenly a modern critique of Japan and their governments reaction to the Tsunami and subsequent Nuclear meltdown issues they went through a few years ago. Unlike the American version from 2014, I didn't mind the lack of screentime for the big guy as I enjoyed the characters, the story, and the social commentary presented within. 

I too, enjoyed "Shin Godzilla" (saw it in theatres last year), though it's flawed.  

While I loved the G-stuff, but I thought the humorous-but-belabor end jabs at bureaucracy were tiresome and overly repetitive.  The point was made within 15 minutes, but 30 minutes later they were STILL squeezing the bureaucracy jokes dry.  I appreciated the Fukishima commentary however, as well as the characters, so those elements saved that first hour for me.  The second half, once everything was pared down, almost felt like a diffferent movie to me.  It is, by far, the superior half of the movie IMO. 

But overall, "Shin Godzilla" is a fine addition to the G legacy.

I watched the recent Power Rangers movie earlier. So many people told me I'd like it and Billy in particular, so I gave it a chance. And yeah. Lots of teenage angst, but then, the Rangers ARE teenagers. I did find it rather charming, and, much to my surprise, I ended up liking Nu!Zack, too (Zack is my favorite original Ranger). And Billy really was great. I'm now even more miffed that they didn't ask Sir Patrick to play Zordon tho IMAGINE him in that former Red Ranger scene aaaaarghhhhhhh IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECTION GRRRRRRRRRR I like Bryan Cranston and I get why they chose him BUT STIIIIIIIIIILLLLLL speaking of which can we have a movie with Zordon and his team? Adult!Rangers? Please? I'd love to see that. 

Dunkirk.

Light on dialogue for a two hour movie, with Nolan preferring to let the imagery tell the tale and it's told pretty well. It's gritty and sometimes visceral and reminds me in good ways of Saving Private Ryan.

Well worth my time.

34 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Dunkirk.

Light on dialogue for a two hour movie, with Nolan preferring to let the imagery tell the tale and it's told pretty well. It's gritty and sometimes visceral and reminds me in good ways of Saving Private Ryan.

Well worth my time.

I need to check this one out.  I haven't been to a movie since "War of the Planet of the Apes."  I need to catch up...

Now you have something to do in the waning days of summer. :)

13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Now you have something to do in the waning days of summer. :)

Of all the movies around at the moment, that’s the only other one that really catches my attention.  

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Of all the movies around at the moment, that’s the only other one that really catches my attention.  

Well, Gus would tell you that you HAVE to see Spider-Man. ;)