Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

Got back from Logan at my budget theater.

It was just so good...dark and deep and emotional. It's going to stand up as one of the best films of the year. 

GotG 2, no spoilers.

Very good movie. As good as the first, not quite, but only because what was a new and fresh presentation the first time around is now the movie's "style." That's not a knock, it's just the way of things. Your favorite movie, as much as you might adore it doesn't have the same impact as it did the moment it became your favorite film.

The film's theme is family and it's threaded all throughout and done well. There are some genuinely moving moments for me and the film works on pretty much every level. Kurt Russel does a fine job and he and Pratt have great chemistry.

Though, I will say, it's probably more violent than the first one and it's sort of in a way that puts me off. I don't care if even this (basically) general audience film wants to be violent, but it takes it all just a little too lightly. Dozens of people dying from Yondu's arrow isn't somehow made "better" by the fact that they are doing it silently, the arrow makes pretty patterns, and being driven by 80s yacht rock in the background. 

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

GotG 2, no spoilers.

Very good movie. As good as the first, not quite, but only because what was a new and fresh presentation the first time around is now the movie's "style." That's not a knock, it's just the way of things. Your favorite movie, as much as you might adore it doesn't have the same impact as it did the moment it became your favorite film.

The film's theme is family and it's threaded all throughout and done well. There are some genuinely moving moments for me and the film works on pretty much every level. Kurt Russel does a fine job and he and Pratt have great chemistry.

Though, I will say, it's probably more violent than the first one and it's sort of in a way that puts me off. I don't care if even this (basically) general audience film wants to be violent, but it takes it all just a little too lightly. Dozens of people dying from Yondu's arrow isn't somehow made "better" by the fact that they are doing it silently, the arrow makes pretty patterns, and being driven by 80s yacht rock in the background. 

^
Sunday morning, IMAX 3D.  Looking forward to it, and I appreciate your non-spoilerish summary.  ;)

I started to watch a movie called "ZPG: Zero Population Growth" (1971) starring Oliver Reed and Geraldine Chaplin.

e7446b7881e475cd8b4d2ea2807310ef.png

ZPG is a movie in line with other dystopias of that period, like "Boy and His Dog" (1974) or "Soylent Green" (1973).  It takes place in a near future on a very overpopulated, polluted Earth (not too unlike today, actually) where childbearing is declared illegal for the next 30 years, and couples who seek children are given creepy, quasi-lifelike dolls to placate their maternal and paternal instincts.  

I watched the first half hour and, although it was interesting, I had to stop.  I will resume it again at another time but today I was in a good mood and it was sucking away my will to live. :cry:

Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" (2017) this morning.   More in appropriate thread...

kenman   

First, a couple of days ago I watched "Turkey Shoot," a B-movie about a dystopian future where dissenters are sent to a camp, and some are randomly selected to go out on the titular turkey shoot...which is basically they run out in the woods to be hunted.  Also there is like a wolfman guy.  It is a weird schlock film from the 70s, lent to me by a coworker who loves this sort of thing and has a blu-ray copy of it.

Then I watched more schlock in the 1962 Japanese film "King Kong vs Godzilla" which is entertaining if you view it from the prism that it is pure goofiness just to play with the joke of "what if these two famous movie monsters got into a fight thing.  If I have a complaint, it is that as a Kong fan, I think their guy in a suit looks pretty awful.  But it really is about the monsters fighting each other and breaking tiny houses for a laugh...so can't complain too much. 

kenman   

"Trick or Treat", no not the anthology film, but the 80s one about a heavy metal kid that is devastated when his rock hero (who happened to go to his high school) dies, but when he gets a copy of his unreleased final recording, it unleashes the ghost (or something) of the hair metal god, and he then wants to kill people...or something?  His motivation as a villain is never really clear, and that sort of drags down the second half a bit.  The first half is solid, it just feels like the villain lacked any clear plan once he was unleashed, and it made me question what it was all about in the end. 

ALIEN Covenant (2017).

1299872272165539.jpg

Wow... that was powerfully bad.  Hard to believe this was the same Ridley Scott who gave us the 1979 original, as well as "Blade Runner" and "The Martian."  To go from those to THIS is like Alfred Hitchcock directing "Psycho" and then directing the 9th installment of the "Friday the 13th" movies.   What a drop.

The plotting and characters are so by-the-numbers and stupid that they're no better than the beats and cardboard cutouts from an '80s slasher movie (*** MINOR SPOILER ***  Two characters are literally killed having sex in a shower... I wish I were kidding).  

I thought the ALIEN franchise bottomed out with "Prometheus"...

tumblr_myykuuIUlO1r0fdszo1_500.gif

"Covenant" is a new bottom.   Hell, it actually elevates "Prometheus" a bit, in retrospect. 

In space no one can hear it suck...

Knew it. :)

And I also saw the shower deaths coming in one of the commercials. That was the tell for me that this was just going to be a slasher flick with the Alien aliens.

Ridley Scott must have had bills to pay.

kenman   

This is a sad tale. I went to the theater the other night for a showing of the 80s bad action film "Gymkata" (a film starring an Olympic gold medal winning gymnist) and it was laughably bad and fun...crowd was enjoying it...and then the theater had a technical issue...and they had to end the showing and give everyone a free movie pass for anything at their theater. Too bad, it was entertaining and the crowd was having a good time.

Been watching the bonus features of two new blu rays I've just bought; "Get Out" (2017) and "Tales From the Hood" (1995).  I love behind-the-scenes stuff... :thumbup:  Both movies have strong cult appeal, and are very re-watchable; they are perfect mixes of horror and social commentary.   I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if "Get Out" is nominated for an Oscar or two next year.   And I mean that with all sincerity; it's one of the best movies (if not THE best) I've seen so far this year.
Movie_Trailer_-_get-out-allison-williams

tfth1ln9.png

vlcsnap-125513.png

And I've waited a LONG time for "Tales..." to come to blu ray!  In the words of Clarence Williams III's awesome and memorable "Mr. Sims", this movie is "the S#!T!"

"Tales..." appeal for me isn't just because it's a smart, fun horror movie with something to say; it also appeals to me because I'm a HUGE fan of the old Amicus horror anthology movies of the early '70s, such as "Tales From the Crypt" (1972), "Vault of Horror" (1973), and "The House That Dripped Blood" (1971).  "Tales" is a smart, inventive "American-ized" take on those old movies, and it's a lot more insightful with its social commentary (it was made in 1995, but the movie is actually far more relevant today then it was then).   But "Tales..." also recaptures the Amicus anthology subgenre to a tee (right down to the cheesy FX).  

That is how you reboot a horror franchise, folks... ;)

Saw Ghost in the Shell at my cheap theater today. A slow, but at least serviceable bit of cyberpunk that looks pretty but doesn't do a lot that has really very little to do with the anime. 

kenman   
"Mothra vs Godzilla" or whatever various title you may know it by (at any rate, it is the 1964 film in which these two beasts first met), is a highly entertaining Japanese Monster film, which moves at a brisk pace, doesn't skimp on the two monsters battling, and throws in lots of other weird stuff like these tiny girls that protect Mothra's egg. It is a weird movie, but most definitely a fun one, and still manages to work in a message about distrust and the perils of the nuclear age. Good stuff all around.

And this morning on the news, I saw a story about a great white shark that hopped into an Australian fisherman's boat, and it put me in the mood for a shark movie (yes, I'm perverse like that), so I put in "The Shallows" on DVD while I exercised.  

the-shallows.jpg

It scratched the itch.  Very efficient little survival movie; think "Cast Away" meets "JAWS" with all the excesses trimmed off. 

kenman   

The original "Mothra," a solid little fantasy kaiju film which shows Mothra destory Tokyo because some jerk stole his little fairies. It was very entertaining, a little more fantasy in its origin and island than Godzilla and his origins, but thats alright...it is good stuff. 

kenman   

Watched "The Founder" tonight. Decent bio-pic about Ray Kroc, the founder of the McDonald's Corporation, and his rags to riches story of how he discovered a couple of brothers with a burger stand, and successfully franchised out their system, turned it into a huge corporation, and then ousted the brothers when they got in the way. It is propelled by Keaton's performance (as well as the solid supporting cast), but it is sort of standard biopic stuff. If it didn't have Keaton turning in such a strong performance as Ray Kroc, who you both root for and kind of want to punch, then it might not have worked at all and just fallen flat. But he walks a fine line with a complex guy, someone who is an underdog, who ends up taking over and becoming kind of the villain of the thing. Keaton nails it, which makes this somewhat average story possibly worth a look.

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Watched "The Founder" tonight. Decent bio-pic about Ray Kroc, the founder of the McDonald's Corporation, and his rags to riches story of how he discovered a couple of brothers with a burger stand, and successfully franchised out their system, turned it into a huge corporation, and then ousted the brothers when they got in the way. It is propelled by Keaton's performance (as well as the solid supporting cast), but it is sort of standard biopic stuff. If it didn't have Keaton turning in such a strong performance as Ray Kroc, who you both root for and kind of want to punch, then it might not have worked at all and just fallen flat. But he walks a fine line with a complex guy, someone who is an underdog, who ends up taking over and becoming kind of the villain of the thing. Keaton nails it, which makes this somewhat average story possibly worth a look.

I want to see this one.

Keaton has that near-perfect ambiguous mix of hero-creep.  It was on full display in "Birdman" (an Oscar I felt he was kinda robbed of that year; Eddie Redmayne's Stephan Hawking was great, but he had a living template nearby to draw from).  I also liked him in "Clean and Sober."   Even his all-out heroes, such as Bruce Wayne, are stained with that ambiguity; as if they can go rotten at a moment's notice...

I just hope I never live long enough to see Keaton play the kind, sweet old farmer who helps his granddaughter's pony win the big horse race... :P

kenman   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I want to see this one.

Keaton has that near-perfect ambiguous mix of hero-creep.  It was on full display in "Birdman" (an Oscar I felt he was kinda robbed of that year; Eddie Redmayne's Stephan Hawking was great, but he had a living template nearby to draw from).  I also liked him in "Clean and Sober."   Even his all-out heroes, such as Bruce Wayne, are stained with that ambiguity; as if they can go rotten at a moment's notice...

I just hope I never live long enough to see Keaton play the kind, sweet old farmer who helps his granddaughter's pony win the big horse race... :P

Since Keaton will happily leave behind a major franchise and so a bunch of small parts and smaller movies for nearly 20 odd years? I don't see him doing that. He really does a great job in "The Founder," just kind of wish there was more to the movie beyond that. 

Sim   

Last weekend, my wife and I watched "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" on BD.

It was the first time I saw the movie since I watched it at the theatre last winter. It was still as decent as I remembered it, albeit I was much less excited about it than when it was a big event. My wife enjoyed it too, but somehow, it didn't feel as "special" as our first watching of Ep.VII:TFA on BD last year.

Got back from...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOKDuS8xF5DYdgDdWnWiS

All I can say is....

FINALLY!!! Bleeping took 'em long enough.

That is, it took DC long enough to finally show that they know what any one of their characters are about. I could put this up against pretty much anything Marvel.

I was concerned about Gadot in the role when she was first cast, in part because her resume was pretty light and what there was was nothing particularly impressive, but she NAILS this. Diana is warm, fierce, wide-eyed innocent, and earnest, oftentimes in the same scene. I can argue she's as perfectly cast as Wonder Woman in this movie as Jackman was Wolverine.

Trevor is his own hero and Pine's charm is on full display. He and Gadot has an easy chemistry and the bit of romance that exists between them makes perfect sense. The film lets both characters breathe and be the heroes that they are without stepping on one another while descending into the cliche that would destroy the film of having Trevor ever in a position to "save" Wonder Woman, nor does it ever put him in the position of being the "mansel in distress."

The end becomes a bit overblown in the "climactic superhero battle setpiece" department in a way that's slightly out of place given the nuanced tone of the two hours before it, but that's not ding enough to tarnish the two hours before it either.

I fear though that this film is going to make me disdain Snyder's JL even more if it disappoints because WW has proven that they CAN get it right.

Unlike Suicide Squad, this movie DESERVES box office success.

Edited by prometheus59650

51 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Got back from...

All I can say is....

That is, it took DC long enough to finally show that they know what any one of their characters are about. I could put this up against pretty much anything Marvel.

I was concerned about Gadot in the role when she was first cast, in part because her resume was pretty light and what their was was nothing particularly impressive, but she NAILS this. Diana is warm, fierce, wide-eyed innocent, and earnest, oftentimes in the same scene. I can argue she's as perfectly cast as Wonder Woman in this movie as Jackman was Wolverine.

Trevor is his own hero and Pine's charm is on full display. He and Gadot has an easy chemistry and the bit of romance that exists between them makes perfect sense. The film lets both characters breathe and be the heroes that they are without stepping on one another while descending into the cliche that would destroy the film of having Trevor ever in a position to "save" Wonder Woman, nor does it ever put him in the position of being the "mansel in distress."

The end becomes a bit overblown in the "climactic superhero battle setpiece" department in a way that's slightly out of place given the nuanced tone of the two hours before it, but that's not ding enough to tarnish the two hours before it either.

I fear though that this film is going to make me disdain Snyder's JL even more if it disappoints because WW has proven that they CAN get it right.

100% agree with you. Its a good movie. Gadot and Pine are great in it.

Gus

Got back from...

All I can say is....

I was concerned about Gadot in the role when she was first cast, in part because her resume was pretty light and what there was was nothing particularly impressive, but she NAILS this. Diana is warm, fierce, wide-eyed innocent, and earnest, oftentimes in the same scene. I can argue she's as perfectly cast as Wonder Woman in this movie as Jackman was Wolverine.

Okay, now I'm officially excited about going to see it on Sunday!  Thanks for sharing... and gain strength from the sharing.  :P

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Okay, now I'm officially excited about going to see it on Sunday!  Thanks for sharing... and gain strength from the sharing.  :P

Stop trying to make Star Trek V happen. :)

Stop trying to make Star Trek V happen. :)

Maybe they could recast Sybok with Jai Courtney in DSC? :giggle:

* ... runs and hides... * 

LTIW: 

Not sure if this counts as "television" but I finally caught the fan film "Renegades: The Requiem" part 1 on YouTube.  

I enjoyed it enough; even if it felt very, very '90s.  But I have to give the writers their due; it was a delicate balancing act to change all the names (Rigellians for Romulans, Jada for Jadzia, etc) and still allowing their creation to more-or-less serve as a sequel to the first Renegades' fan film.   You just kinda accept that it's the same storyline, but that the characters' now have slightly different names.   Thank goodness for willing suspension of disbelief. :P

So overall, I was less bothered with it than I thought I was going to be, and I just sat back and enjoyed the reunion....