Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

2,659 posts in this topic

Got back from Logan at my budget theater.

It was just so good...dark and deep and emotional. It's going to stand up as one of the best films of the year. 

GotG 2, no spoilers.

Very good movie. As good as the first, not quite, but only because what was a new and fresh presentation the first time around is now the movie's "style." That's not a knock, it's just the way of things. Your favorite movie, as much as you might adore it doesn't have the same impact as it did the moment it became your favorite film.

The film's theme is family and it's threaded all throughout and done well. There are some genuinely moving moments for me and the film works on pretty much every level. Kurt Russel does a fine job and he and Pratt have great chemistry.

Though, I will say, it's probably more violent than the first one and it's sort of in a way that puts me off. I don't care if even this (basically) general audience film wants to be violent, but it takes it all just a little too lightly. Dozens of people dying from Yondu's arrow isn't somehow made "better" by the fact that they are doing it silently, the arrow makes pretty patterns, and being driven by 80s yacht rock in the background. 

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

GotG 2, no spoilers.

Very good movie. As good as the first, not quite, but only because what was a new and fresh presentation the first time around is now the movie's "style." That's not a knock, it's just the way of things. Your favorite movie, as much as you might adore it doesn't have the same impact as it did the moment it became your favorite film.

The film's theme is family and it's threaded all throughout and done well. There are some genuinely moving moments for me and the film works on pretty much every level. Kurt Russel does a fine job and he and Pratt have great chemistry.

Though, I will say, it's probably more violent than the first one and it's sort of in a way that puts me off. I don't care if even this (basically) general audience film wants to be violent, but it takes it all just a little too lightly. Dozens of people dying from Yondu's arrow isn't somehow made "better" by the fact that they are doing it silently, the arrow makes pretty patterns, and being driven by 80s yacht rock in the background. 

^
Sunday morning, IMAX 3D.  Looking forward to it, and I appreciate your non-spoilerish summary.  ;)

I started to watch a movie called "ZPG: Zero Population Growth" (1971) starring Oliver Reed and Geraldine Chaplin.

e7446b7881e475cd8b4d2ea2807310ef.png

ZPG is a movie in line with other dystopias of that period, like "Boy and His Dog" (1974) or "Soylent Green" (1973).  It takes place in a near future on a very overpopulated, polluted Earth (not too unlike today, actually) where childbearing is declared illegal for the next 30 years, and couples who seek children are given creepy, quasi-lifelike dolls to placate their maternal and paternal instincts.  

I watched the first half hour and, although it was interesting, I had to stop.  I will resume it again at another time but today I was in a good mood and it was sucking away my will to live. :cry:

Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" (2017) this morning.   More in appropriate thread...

First, a couple of days ago I watched "Turkey Shoot," a B-movie about a dystopian future where dissenters are sent to a camp, and some are randomly selected to go out on the titular turkey shoot...which is basically they run out in the woods to be hunted.  Also there is like a wolfman guy.  It is a weird schlock film from the 70s, lent to me by a coworker who loves this sort of thing and has a blu-ray copy of it.

Then I watched more schlock in the 1962 Japanese film "King Kong vs Godzilla" which is entertaining if you view it from the prism that it is pure goofiness just to play with the joke of "what if these two famous movie monsters got into a fight thing.  If I have a complaint, it is that as a Kong fan, I think their guy in a suit looks pretty awful.  But it really is about the monsters fighting each other and breaking tiny houses for a laugh...so can't complain too much. 

"Trick or Treat", no not the anthology film, but the 80s one about a heavy metal kid that is devastated when his rock hero (who happened to go to his high school) dies, but when he gets a copy of his unreleased final recording, it unleashes the ghost (or something) of the hair metal god, and he then wants to kill people...or something?  His motivation as a villain is never really clear, and that sort of drags down the second half a bit.  The first half is solid, it just feels like the villain lacked any clear plan once he was unleashed, and it made me question what it was all about in the end. 

ALIEN Covenant (2017).

1299872272165539.jpg

Wow... that was powerfully bad.  Hard to believe this was the same Ridley Scott who gave us the 1979 original, as well as "Blade Runner" and "The Martian."  To go from those to THIS is like Alfred Hitchcock directing "Psycho" and then directing the 9th installment of the "Friday the 13th" movies.   What a drop.

The plotting and characters are so by-the-numbers and stupid that they're no better than the beats and cardboard cutouts from an '80s slasher movie (*** MINOR SPOILER ***  Two characters are literally killed having sex in a shower... I wish I were kidding).  

I thought the ALIEN franchise bottomed out with "Prometheus"...

tumblr_myykuuIUlO1r0fdszo1_500.gif

"Covenant" is a new bottom.   Hell, it actually elevates "Prometheus" a bit, in retrospect. 

In space no one can hear it suck...

Knew it. :)

And I also saw the shower deaths coming in one of the commercials. That was the tell for me that this was just going to be a slasher flick with the Alien aliens.

Ridley Scott must have had bills to pay.

This is a sad tale. I went to the theater the other night for a showing of the 80s bad action film "Gymkata" (a film starring an Olympic gold medal winning gymnist) and it was laughably bad and fun...crowd was enjoying it...and then the theater had a technical issue...and they had to end the showing and give everyone a free movie pass for anything at their theater. Too bad, it was entertaining and the crowd was having a good time.