Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

2,649 posts in this topic

I tried revisiting ALIEN3; sorry, but I still can't stand it.   Sorry A3 fans... :(

alien-3-screenshot-2.jpg

A3 is just so ridiculously po-faced as to be nearly laughable.  

Every fifth line of the otherwise talented Charles S. Dutton's sounds like a boring sermon that someone's fallen asleep to at some point in his/her life.  

There is absolutely no humor in A3 at all; no point at which the audience can release some tension.  Even the gallows' humor fails.  

The characters all blur together in one, big, unmemorable ball of wax.   I can barely distinguish one bald, murky, cliched prisoner from the next let alone give a damn as to whether anything happens to them.   When Kane died, I felt it.  When Capt. Dallas died, you really felt a loss of the ship's stability.   When Hudson, Vasquez and even Gorman bought it, I was on the edge of my seat.   When most of the A3 cast bought the farm?  I couldn't care less.   They were just bald, boring bodies.   The only exception being Charles Dance's Clemens; the only other character who really registered to me as a person and not a crash test dummy with a dirty mouth. 

The whole A3 cast combined has a fraction of the charisma we saw in the seven person Nostromo crew, or the well-delineated Marines in ALIENS.   The idea of the alien somehow magically stowing away just didn't make any sense.  And did Bishop somehow know?   That little bit with "they knew all along" just completely undoes his ambiguous arc in ALIENS and for no good reason. 

And yes, I get that David Fincher has a thing for overly golden lighting, heavy shadows, torchlight, etc. etc. but here it's just so over-the-top.   About as bad as Abrams' and the lens flare in ST09 (which I didn't mind nearly as much; at least I could make out what was going on).  And after the first half hour, A3 is largely a beat-for-beat remake of ALIEN's Ten Little Indians formula, but with far lesser characters and a crappy, gas station restroom-by-torchlight look to it. 

And it lacks that one tiny ingredient so vital to ALIEN and ALIENS; hope.   Yes, call me an optimist, but I need a bit of hope at the end and maybe some emotional investment in the characters, otherwise why am I watching?  

To be honest, I think I dislike the movie more now than when it first disappointed me in 1992.   I really tried to love it, but sadly, I just can't... :dontgetit:

17 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I tried revisiting ALIEN3; sorry, but I still can't stand it.   Sorry A3 fans... :(

alien-3-screenshot-2.jpg

A3 is just so ridiculously po-faced as to be nearly laughable.  

Every fifth line of the otherwise talented Charles S. Dutton's sounds like a boring sermon that someone's fallen asleep to at some point in his/her life.  

There is absolutely no humor in A3 at all; no point at which the audience can release some tension.  Even the gallows' humor fails.  

The characters all blur together in one, big, unmemorable ball of wax.   I can barely distinguish one bald, murky, cliched prisoner from the next let alone give a damn as to whether anything happens to them.   When Kane died, I felt it.  When Capt. Dallas died, you really felt a loss of the ship's stability.   When Hudson, Vasquez and even Gorman bought it, I was on the edge of my seat.   When most of the A3 cast bought the farm?  I couldn't care less.   They were just bald, boring bodies.   The only exception being Charles Dance's Clemens; the only other character who really registered to me as a person and not a crash test dummy with a dirty mouth. 

The whole A3 cast combined has a fraction of the charisma we saw in the seven person Nostromo crew, or the well-delineated Marines in ALIENS.   The idea of the alien somehow magically stowing away just didn't make any sense.  And did Bishop somehow know?   That little bit with "they knew all along" just completely undoes his ambiguous arc in ALIENS and for no good reason. 

And yes, I get that David Fincher has a thing for overly golden lighting, heavy shadows, torchlight, etc. etc. but here it's just so over-the-top.   About as bad as Abrams' and the lens flare in ST09 (which I didn't mind nearly as much; at least I could make out what was going on).  And after the first half hour, A3 is largely a beat-for-beat remake of ALIEN's Ten Little Indians formula, but with far lesser characters and a crappy, gas station restroom-by-torchlight look to it. 

And it lacks that one tiny ingredient so vital to ALIEN and ALIENS; hope.   Yes, call me an optimist, but I need a bit of hope at the end and maybe some emotional investment in the characters, otherwise why am I watching?  

To be honest, I think I dislike the movie more now than when it first disappointed me in 1992.   I really tried to love it, but sadly, I just can't... :dontgetit:

Which version did you watch? The theatrical one IS often quite terrible, no argument from me here. There's a reason why Fincher tends to refuse to be associated with it, they absolutely butchered his original ideas. (The third movie is the only one on the Quadrilogy DVD set that doesn't come with a director's introduction.)

I totally ship Ripley/Clemens, but then I have a thing for pairings that have one character who is blunt and never afraid to swear like a truck driver and has a bit of a temper problem sometimes and the other is a gentle, patient but also internally tortured soul. (Sound familiar? Haha.)

I do agree that a lot of what the movie does is completely unnecessary - like killing off every single person Ripley cared about in ALIENS and whatnot, but then I guess it serves the sense of hopelessness... which I actually also love. I love how the movie offers no hope, no light, no nothing. Not many movies do this, many cater to happy endings and whatnot, but this one doesn't, and I really like it for that. I also think "not caring if the prisoners die" is the whole point. You're not SUPPOSED to really care, because it's all hopeless anyway and things are going downhill anyway, no matter what. (I love this. It's a movie for completely dark and hopeless pessimists like myself.)

The only thing I really find blergh is the BAAAAAAD Alien CGI. It looks just... well, ridiculous. It almost reaches Gorn-On-ENT levels. :P 

Yeah, I actually like the Extended Version of Alien 3, too... :thumbup: 

Can't remember any other movie where my opinions on the theatrical cut and the extended cut differ so strongly.

11 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Which version did you watch? The theatrical one IS often quite terrible, no argument from me here. There's a reason why Fincher tends to refuse to be associated with it, they absolutely butchered his original ideas. (The third movie is the only one on the Quadrilogy DVD set that doesn't come with a director's introduction.)

I totally ship Ripley/Clemens, but then I have a thing for pairings that have one character who is blunt and never afraid to swear like a truck driver and has a bit of a temper problem sometimes and the other is a gentle, patient but also internally tortured soul. (Sound familiar? Haha.)

I do agree that a lot of what the movie does is completely unnecessary - like killing off every single person Ripley cared about in ALIENS and whatnot, but then I guess it serves the sense of hopelessness... which I actually also love. I love how the movie offers no hope, no light, no nothing. Not many movies do this, many cater to happy endings and whatnot, but this one doesn't, and I really like it for that. I also think "not caring if the prisoners die" is the whole point. You're not SUPPOSED to really care, because it's all hopeless anyway and things are going downhill anyway, no matter what. (I love this. It's a movie for completely dark and hopeless pessimists like myself.)

The only thing I really find blergh is the BAAAAAAD Alien CGI. It looks just... well, ridiculous. It almost reaches Gorn-On-ENT levels. :P 

I watched the extended cut, which did flesh out a few things, but it doesn't fix the movie's fundamental issues; mainly pacing (there are many times throughout when the movie just stops dead with non-event).  

I could be okay with the movie's nihilism (I loved '70s nihilistic scifi movies like "Omega Man" and "Soylent Green"), if it had things of interest and events occurring throughout; in those older movies of the '70s, there was always a forward momentum of the story.  Characters didn't just stop and say, "Yeah...this kinda sucks."  Even a nihilistic film can be exciting and have event.  A3 just...doesn't.

Oh, and I SO agree with you about Clemens; they killed off the ONE character I gave a living damn about (in addition to killing off Bishop a SECOND time... Ugh).  They did a similar thing with Bryan Cranston in 2014's "Godzilla" reboot. 

And yes, the bad matte lines around the quadrupedal alien really pop me out of the movie a couple times; I could forgive those things in a '70s or '80s movie, but this movie was around the time of Jurassic Park and Terminator 2.   The technology was certainly there, that's for sure.   

And without caring or empathizing with any of the prisoners, it just makes their deaths little more than a waiting game; and in a waiting game, the least they can do is make it exciting...

At any rate, I realize this movie has its fans, and I respect that; hence my rewatch.   But yeah, it just doesn't do anything for me; and the first two movies were all-time favorites of mine.  Such a shame... :(

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I watched the extended cut, which did flesh out a few things, but it doesn't fix the movie's fundamental issues; mainly pacing (there are many times throughout when the movie just stops dead with non-event).  

I could be okay with the movie's nihilism (I loved '70s nihilistic scifi movies like "Omega Man" and "Soylent Green"), if it had things of interest and events occurring throughout; in those older movies of the '70s, there was always a forward momentum of the story.  Characters didn't just stop and say, "Yeah...this kinda sucks."  Even a nihilistic film can be exciting and have event.  A3 just...doesn't.

Oh, and I SO agree with you about Clemens; they killed off the ONE character I gave a living damn about (in addition to killing off Bishop a SECOND time... Ugh).  They did a similar thing with Bryan Cranston in 2014's "Godzilla" reboot. 

And yes, the bad matte lines around the quadrupedal alien really pop me out of the movie a couple times; I could forgive those things in a '70s or '80s movie, but this movie was around the time of Jurassic Park and Terminator 2.   The technology was certainly there, that's for sure.   

And without caring or empathizing with any of the prisoners, it just makes their deaths little more than a waiting game; and in a waiting game, the least they can do is make it exciting...

At any rate, I realize this movie has its fans, and I respect that; hence my rewatch.   But yeah, it just doesn't do anything for me; and the first two movies were all-time favorites of mine.  Such a shame... :(

It's okay, you can always comfort yourself with the fact that the majority of folks hate this movie with passion or at least dislike it a lot, you're not the only one. :)

Last movie I watched: I put in my Prometheus DVD - I also have the Blu Ray but the DVD seemed more appropriate, I can pay more attention when the shiny special effects don't look too stunning - and I think I finally figured out half of the plot - after watching it for the third time. I'm so proud of myself. :laugh: Oh and I also watched the entire Resident Evil movie franchise (except for the latest, still waiting for that one to be released on DVD) and I really, really LIKE the movies, I mean... yeah. They're not exactly philosophical masterpieces but I really ADORE Alice, she's just so badass.

54 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

It's okay, you can always comfort yourself with the fact that the majority of folks hate this movie with passion or at least dislike it a lot, you're not the only one. :)

Yeah, not exactly a minority opinion, right?  And that's exactly why I kinda feel a bit guilty for NOT liking it; I usually tend to lean toward unloved underdogs of cinema and look for something deeper or enjoyable in them.  But for some reason A3 just doesn't work for me; and I've REALLY tried to love it.   I still remember the hot summer day that I first saw it, and I was defending it all the way home with my then-girlfriend; until I realized I was trying to convince MYSELF that I liked it more than I was trying to convince her...

57 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Last movie I watched: I put in my Prometheus DVD - I also have the Blu Ray but the DVD seemed more appropriate, I can pay more attention when the shiny special effects don't look too stunning - and I think I finally figured out half of the plot - after watching it for the third time. I'm so proud of myself. :laugh: Oh and I also watched the entire Resident Evil movie franchise (except for the latest, still waiting for that one to be released on DVD) and I really, really LIKE the movies, I mean... yeah. They're not exactly philosophical masterpieces but I really ADORE Alice, she's just so badass.

Hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, my friend... ;)

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, not exactly a minority opinion, right?  And that's exactly why I kinda feel a bit guilty for NOT liking it; I usually tend to lean toward unloved underdogs of cinema and look for something deeper or enjoyable in them.  But for some reason A3 just doesn't work for me; and I've REALLY tried to love it.   I still remember the hot summer day that I first saw it, and I was defending it all the way home with my then-girlfriend; until I realized I was trying to convince MYSELF that I liked it more than I was trying to convince her...

I didn't like it at all either when I saw it for the first time, it was so different from the first two movies. But then I bought the Quadrilogy and saw the Extended Director's Cut and suddenly I had this OMG THIS IS A PESSIMISTIC MASTERPIECE moment that changed it all for me. It still isn't my favorite, but I tend to put it into its own category because it really has such a different tone from all the others.

And hey, no worries - even the ones in charge hate it so much that they wanted to erase it from canon when they still had the plans to make that Alien 5 movie with Newt. :laugh:

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

I didn't like it at all either when I saw it for the first time, it was so different from the first two movies. But then I bought the Quadrilogy and saw the Extended Director's Cut and suddenly I had this OMG THIS IS A PESSIMISTIC MASTERPIECE moment that changed it all for me. It still isn't my favorite, but I tend to put it into its own category because it really has such a different tone from all the others.

And hey, no worries - even the ones in charge hate it so much that they wanted to erase it from canon when they still had the plans to make that Alien 5 movie with Newt. :laugh:

This is one of those rare times that I very much agree with the powers-that-be.  :laugh:

Watched the original "The Evil Dead" (1981).

As others told me before: It's basically a cheaper version of #2 (I had seen "Evil Dead 2" and "Army of Darkness" before). But amazing how much they managed to make after all, with so few money! (It only was $350,000, right?) It's also most interesting from the perspective of movie history. Plus I now understand some nods in the series "Ash vs. Evil Dead" better! Good to know how it all started. :thumbup:

Naturally, especially with a distance of 35 years later, the movie appears much more ridiculous than scary, but I guess even contemporary viewers had this impression, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced so much humor in the later movies.

So, I had a good film night. Only thing I regret: There weren't any friends and booze around when watching the movie! :laugh:

Evil Dead is, without a doubt, top notch fun. My personal favorite of the series is 2, but there is something unmistakably great in that first film. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Evil Dead is, without a doubt, top notch fun. My personal favorite of the series is 2, but there is something unmistakably great in that first film. 

Agreed.

The seeds for a greater movie are definitely present in ED1.  ED2 is like a polished remake.  I'd say ED2 is my favorite as well.

Sim, have you seen the remake they made a few years ago? It is less on humor, heavy on modern gore...but it is actually a pretty solid horror film. If oyu've not seen it, give it a whirl...Riami, Tapert, and Campbell were Executive Producers on it. 

30 minutes ago, kenman said:

Sim, have you seen the remake they made a few years ago? It is less on humor, heavy on modern gore...but it is actually a pretty solid horror film. If oyu've not seen it, give it a whirl...Riami, Tapert, and Campbell were Executive Producers on it. 

I've not seen it yet, I'll keep it in mind! :)

Does it feature funny characters that can compete with Campbell's charme?

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

I've not seen it yet, I'll keep it in mind! :)

Does it feature funny characters that can compete with Campbell's charme?

Absolutely not.  It is almost like an experiment by the original filmmakers, hire an upstart young director (Fede Alvarez, who also went on to make the excellent "Don't Breath" last year, I recommend that as well), give him a slightly higher budget than they had, and said "here is the same premise, let's see your spin on it."  It's young people go to a cabin, read from the book, and all hell breaks loose. It isn't as funny, and there isn't really a Campbell-type character, but a young girl takes the lead role, and it is a totally different take in every way...but there is just some element of Evil Dead about it...and thats kind of what I really dug.  I'd like to watch it again, probably will give it another go this Halloween season. 

9 minutes ago, kenman said:

Absolutely not.  It is almost like an experiment by the original filmmakers, hire an upstart young director (Fede Alvarez, who also went on to make the excellent "Don't Breath" last year, I recommend that as well), give him a slightly higher budget than they had, and said "here is the same premise, let's see your spin on it."  It's young people go to a cabin, read from the book, and all hell breaks loose. It isn't as funny, and there isn't really a Campbell-type character, but a young girl takes the lead role, and it is a totally different take in every way...but there is just some element of Evil Dead about it...and thats kind of what I really dug.  I'd like to watch it again, probably will give it another go this Halloween season. 

Ok, sounds interesting! Maybe I come across it on Amazon or so.

Just now, Sim said:

Ok, sounds interesting! Maybe I come across it on Amazon or so.

Yeah if you get a chance, it is much more straight horror...but I think it was effective and some gory fun, even if it wasn't the same kind of gory fun that the original had.  I still prefer the originals and the new show, but that remake is one of the few I've found kinda works for me.  There was talk at one point (before Ash vs Evil Dead finally came together), that they were going to make an Army of Darkness 2 starring Bruce Campbell, and a sequel to the remake starring Jane Levy (who plays Mia in the remake), and then make a crossover film having the two characters team-up.  But I think the sequel to the remake is in a sort of limbo since AvED came out. I'd honestly be down for another movie from Alvarez and co...but even though I enjoyed the remake, it isn't nearly as entertaining as the current show...but I'd love it if they found a way to tie em together as they at one point planned.  Might be fun to see the two different versions of the same world collide. 

Another sidenote about that remake: they were very wise to not have the character of Ash in any real capacity, because recasting is sacrilegious in my view!

Kid and I watched "The Secret Life of Pets" tonight (a prize for her perfect day on the potty...no accidents!), I personaly found it to be a bit average.  It was he "Toy Story" formula with pets instead of toys, mixed with the more brash style you'd expect from the people who make the Minions. I've not really seen those "Despicable Me" movies, but I can kind of tell they aren't aimed at me as an audience.  There wasn't much that grabbed me while we were watching it. Kid seemed to like it for the most part, though at one point she seemed scared, and at another she seemed rather upset. She might've just been really tired though. She is just starting to not take naps, so I'm not sure her body has totally acclimated to it yet. 

Myself tonight I watched Jim Jarmusch's latest film, "Patterson."  It is a methodical slice of life showing the week in a life of bus driver that writes poetry, and his daily routine. It kinda feels throughout like something big is about to happen, as movies tend to have, but really just ends up being an average week in the life of an everyday guy, with a few bits thrown in here and there that stray from his daily routine. It probably sounds boring, and to many it probably would be, but I found it to be quite a good watch.

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Kid and I watched "The Secret Life of Pets" tonight (a prize for her perfect day on the potty...no accidents!), I personaly found it to be a bit average.  It was he "Toy Story" formula with pets instead of toys, mixed with the more brash style you'd expect from the people who make the Minions. I've not really seen those "Despicable Me" movies, but I can kind of tell they aren't aimed at me as an audience.  There wasn't much that grabbed me while we were watching it. Kid seemed to like it for the most part, though at one point she seemed scared, and at another she seemed rather upset. She might've just been really tired though. She is just starting to not take naps, so I'm not sure her body has totally acclimated to it yet. 

^
My wife and I tried to watch her ASIFA screener copy of this one back in December, and honestly, it got boring very quickly.  It seemed all of the best moments from the trailer were in the first ten minutes.   Such a shame because I am a HUGE Louis CK fan, and was really hoping for this movie to hit it out of the ball park.   

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
My wife and I tried to watch her ASIFA screener copy of this one back in December, and honestly, it got boring very quickly.  It seemed all of the best moments from the trailer were in the first ten minutes.   Such a shame because I am a HUGE Louis CK fan, and was really hoping for this movie to hit it out of the ball park.   

Yea...it just did little for me.  I  had little expectations, didn't know the cast before watching. Only got it because the kid's Great Grandma (who will watch anything with a cute dog in it), might have watched it...or gotten stuffed animals for, so when she was over at Grandmas (where Great Grandma also lives), the kid became obsessed with all the pets and their names. So I grabbed it from the library. But I don't even know if it lived up to her expectations. She might just enjoy the toys at Grandmas a little more.

Listened to a WTF podcast with Eugene Levy, and it lead to me popping on the always funny "Best in Show."  Always delivers laughs!

Watching THE INCREDIBLE HULK RETURNS TV Movie now on DVD.....just dont ask me why ! Good nite !!!

The two INCREDIBLE HULK TV Movies from the late 80s also served as pilots for other two Marvel Comics super heroes. Produced by BIll Bixby, the first movie THE INCREDIBLE HILK RETURNS introduces Eric Kramer as Thor, here portrayed as a powerful viking and not a Thunder God. The second movie, THE TRIAL OF THE INCREDIBLE HULK, directed by Bixby, was a bit better, featuring actor/singer Rex Smith as Matt Murdock / Daredevil. From the Marvel Age of TV Heroes !

18118561_10212921699096422_7880448131334

Gus

Hidden Figures. A solid bio-pic about the achievements of three (with focus mostly on one) African American women at NASA in the early 60s whose important work helped the Space Program achieve it's goals. Having looked up details of the original story, I can't help but find the true story more inspiring than some elements of the feelgood Hollywood movie. For instance while the running to a "Colored" bathroom in another building happened, it happened to one of the other three women, and not Johnson...whereas Johnson apparently just used the white restroom for years, when it was eventually questioned, she said deal with it, and it was dropped.  I like the real story so much better than the boss with a heart of gold who changes the rules for her.  She made the change because she didn't take crap. That's better!  But really, the movie brings their story to light, even if years and details are all wrong (as biopics tend to do), as a movie, it is a bit too Hollywood but it is solid...and how often does a major release like this feature three black female leads?  Pretty much never.  Movie is feelgood entertainment, and it praises hard work, science, intelligence, and working towards your goals no matter the obstacles (whether they be getting a man into space, or just advancing your career while not looking like everyone else)...good message, mostly well told, and a solid picture.

5 minutes ago, kenman said:

Hidden Figures. A solid bio-pic about the achievements of three (with focus mostly on one) African American women at NASA in the early 60s whose important work helped the Space Program achieve it's goals. Having looked up details of the original story, I can't help but find the true story more inspiring than some elements of the feelgood Hollywood movie. For instance while the running to a "Colored" bathroom in another building happened, it happened to one of the other three women, and not Johnson...whereas Johnson apparently just used the white restroom for years, when it was eventually questioned, she said deal with it, and it was dropped.  I like the real story so much better than the boss with a heart of gold who changes the rules for her.  She made the change because she didn't take crap. That's better!  But really, the movie brings their story to light, even if years and details are all wrong (as biopics tend to do), as a movie, it is a bit too Hollywood but it is solid...and how often does a major release like this feature three black female leads?  Pretty much never.  Movie is feelgood entertainment, and it praises hard work, science, intelligence, and working towards your goals no matter the obstacles (whether they be getting a man into space, or just advancing your career while not looking like everyone else)...good message, mostly well told, and a solid picture.

^ I had a similar reaction; I enjoyed the story (and the lead actresses! They were magnificent) but the movie felt a bit simplistic at times.  But considering the shoestring budget and the fact that the story had been all but buried for 50 years, it's an amazing achievement.  I bought the bluray primarily for the performances and the story, though I felt the Hollywood-izing was so by-the-numbers sometimes.  And Parsons and Dunst's characters seem to come from White Devils Central Casting.   Too simplistic. I almost expected boos and hisses on the soundtrack whenever they appeared.  Ditto Kevin Costner's good-guy boss; feels like Pa Kent with a PhD.  Sometimes such movie conventions are necessary to help sell a narrative, but like you Kenman, I kind of wished they just had faith to tell the REAL story without so many simplistic Hollywood flourishes.  Would've been much more subtle and deep, but not quite the rousing (and profitable) crowd pleaser, perhaps (?).  Who knows.

Mixed emotions at times, but once again; the story (which so needed to be told!) and the three leads are so wonderful that it more than made up for the movie's simplistic deficits. 

8 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^ I had a similar reaction; I enjoyed the story (and the lead actresses! They were magnificent) but the movie felt a bit simplistic at times.  But considering the shoestring budget and the fact that the story had been all but buried for 50 years, it's an amazing achievement.  I bought the bluray primarily for the performances and the story, though I felt the Hollywood-izing was so by-the-numbers sometimes.  And Parsons and Dunst's characters seem to come from White Devils Central Casting.   Too simplistic. I almost expected boos and hisses on the soundtrack whenever they appeared.  Ditto Kevin Costner's good-guy boss; feels like Pa Kent with a PhD.  Sometimes such movie conventions are necessary to help sell a narrative, but like you Kenman, I kind of wished they just had faith to tell the REAL story without so many simplistic Hollywood flourishes.  Would've been much more subtle and deep, but not quite the rousing (and profitable) crowd pleaser, perhaps (?).  Who knows.

Mixed emotions at times, but once again; the story (which so needed to be told!) and the three leads are so wonderful that it more than made up for the movie's simplistic deficits. 

I think the banging the "Colored Restroom" sign down with a crowbar was a low point in obvious Hollywooding of the thing. It immediately had me thinking "not a chance in hell this happened," and I looked it up and it was not remotely true. Othe interesting fudges in the story are that it takes place in 1961 (or at least begins there), and Johnson had a permanent gig in what she did in the movie by the late 50s. The real Dorothy Vaughn was the first black female supervisor at NASA in 1949, more than a decade before the movie takes place and she is constantly trying to get that promotion. And Johnson did get into the classified meetings, but not because time crunch, but because she was genuinely persistant which, again, I find more badass and interesting.

Again, the great thing about the movie is that it brought this story I knew nothing about to light and got me reading about it. Some historical innacuracies are more forgivable than others...but a few Seem changed for the worse in my opinion. I think the real Johnson seems far kore persistant and powerful than the slightly more timid one of the movie. Not because she told people off or something, but because she seems like her intelligence pushed her past where she might have been allowed otherwise.